Start by marking “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins: A Step-by-Step Program for Sleep-Training Your Multiples” as Want to Read:

From one of the nation’s most trusted experts on children’s bedtime and nap time comes a new guide for sleep-training twins so that everybody (including Mom and Dad) will be rested and happy!

As parents of twins and multiples know, double the fun can be double the sleep deprivation. Now, in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, beloved pediatrician and renowned sleep authority
Published June 9th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins

Oct 27, 2009 Wendy rated it it was ok
Probably most of you will not be looking for guidance on sleep-training multiples, but there is a prior version ("Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby") for those that prefer one baby at a time. However, assuming the principles are the same, I wouldn't recommend it. The first section about healthy sleep vs. "junk" sleep is wonderful and I was very excited about the book. But as for the actually technique, I was disappointed. It is pretty vague. I came away with, "Just do what feels natural and then ...more
Apr 05, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, twins
I skimmed this book. I've already read a lot on sleep training so there was nothing new in this for me, but it would be a good place to start for new parents.
Aug 06, 2016 Ricki rated it it was ok
I've read 7 books now on baby sleep, and here is what I have learned: Babies are different.

Here are the more memorable books in order from easy to hard. #1 on this list assumes that your baby will be easy and naturally fall into a schedule of naps that works for them and everyone else. On the other end of the spectrum, #6 on this list assumes that your baby needs to be forced into to be a rigid, drill-sergeant schedule, to basically sleep-deprive them during the day so they will sleep 8 hours in
Sep 15, 2016 Monika rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby, 2016
Disappointingly the book doesn't offer any other truly practical method than Cry It Out.
Katie Curlee Hamblen
Jul 25, 2016 Katie Curlee Hamblen rated it really liked it
Pretty helpful and straightforward information regarding sleep training/schedule for your twins. Most sources point out how necessary it is to sync your twins' sleeping/feeding schedules. This book goes further in explaining the sleep developments that occur as the twins grow, and methods for encouraging good sleep. It also discusses differences in sleep between identical and fraternal twins, and twins born with and without reproductive assistance. Also emphasizes the fact that premature twins s ...more
danielle. milbauer
Sep 02, 2015 danielle. milbauer rated it liked it
This was the first book that I've read specifically written on sleep training for twins. It was helpful and gave me an idea of when to start and what to expect...but like others said, it also states that all babies are different. I wish that it had more visuals or links to printable documents. For example, it spoke of the number of hours of sleep that each baby needs at different ages and whether this sleep is typically at night/during day. Definitely interesting and helpful. But, this type of i ...more
Sep 10, 2016 Doug rated it really liked it
Took a while to get through, but my wife actually already read it and kept me up to date with the plan for our little ones. The methods actually work really well at getting our kids on a regular sleeping schedule. One of the twins is sleeping through the night. The other one was, but we had her in a rock 'n play to help with her reflux. Now she's gotten a bit better, so she's laying flat, but she's definitely not used to it and can't put herself to sleep quite as easily. This was bound to happen ...more
Jan 10, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. Scott is reading it now. We're going to try these techniques on our twins in hopes that they will be sleeping through the night (4-5 hours in a row) by 3-4 months. We will be overjoyed if this actually occurs. :)

Michelle Alley
Aug 18, 2009 Michelle Alley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: self-help
The one thing this book is not is a one child fits all sleep method. The book is split into three sections: an introduction to understanding sleep in children, techniques and strategies for sleep training your multiples, and finally a section combining breast feeding and sleep. I found each section not only was informational, but had specific strategies for your own situation. I recommend this book to anyone who is expecting twins or multiples.
Nov 24, 2009 Elicia rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved the explanation on why babies and kids need good, scheduled sleep and also how much they need at every age, even what they should be doing week by week but it needed to be more specific on how to get there. I guess I was dissapointed to read that I shouldn't expect my girls' to sleep thru the night until they are a certain age (adjusted to the due date not birth date). I want them to sleep thru now...
Shanna Bridegan
Mar 06, 2013 Shanna Bridegan rated it it was amazing
After reading several sleep training books and blogs this book finally made sense to me! I credit this book and what I learned to the good sleep I get. I wish I would have read this book before I brought the babies home. It works!! And I like that he caters to different styles and doesn't demand one approach over the other, he lays the information out so you can choose the best options for your child.
Jan 02, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
This book was sent to us by my Mother In Law. She has been avidly seeking out advice for us regarding twins and this book was very interesting. It is easy to digest but makes recommendations that make sense. Interesting background info on the science of sleep makes this the first book I have read that makes sleep training make sense.

Nov 23, 2010 Christen rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
If I didn't have "On Becoming Babywise" this book may have been more helpful. I did not find any of it to be "step-by-step" though. It did have a little more information on the amount of sleep they should be getting for their ages and how long their naps typically are - that was nice information.
Nov 25, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: twins
Full of solid advice. I hope it works. I read the regular version of this book months after my oldest son was born, and it was too late to try many of the techniques. Now that I'm expecting twins, I'm preparing to get them on a schedule as soon as possible, and the guidelines from this book will be helpful.
Jan 12, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Not bad, and I just skimmed the ended again before passing it on to another twin mom. I'm reminded that trouble at the witching hour typically means an earlier bedtime is needed. My trouble sleep went down at 5:30 tonight. Here's hoping he's more cheerful tomorrow, and that this doesn't become a normal bedtime.
Mar 04, 2010 Elena rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Well, turns out I didn't really need these books on getting the twins to sleep. Gabriel is sleeping like a log for an unheard-of 10 hours a night and Daria is only waking up once for about 10 minutes to snack and then goes back to sleep. I am truly blessed! (Watch, I've now cursed my luck with this review and they'll start waking up more :)
May 21, 2011 Jc rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It is nice to find a book written specifically for parents of multiples on the big subject of sleep. That said, I think this book works best when read in conjunction with Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. His first book goes into much greater detail about the types of sleep training that are out there, and then this book expands on the previous book with twins in mind.
Jan 27, 2016 Angeline rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
A good read with enough information to help me understand my kids sleep needs and patterns, but not too much to be overwhelming.

The first part explains sleep, the second part goes into methods of sleep training, and the third part explains children's sleep needs through the early school years.
A.L. Sowards
Star rating subject to change depending on how well the suggestions work over the next few years. Easy to read, short, well-organized. If it does work, it will probably rank among the most worth-while books I have ever read.
Aug 02, 2011 Stephani rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to rate as I haven't had the chance to implement the techniques yet. Many of them were very similar to what we used on our kiddos, just with a little different application since two babies are involved. I am hopeful, though I will say, reading this book made me tired. :)
Jul 04, 2013 Mandy rated it it was ok
This book was fine, but I didn't find it all that insightful or worthwhile. It basically seemed to reiterate what I would consider to be common sense. And it repeated the same few points over and over again.
Helen Wheeler
Interesting and validating

Our twins are pretty good sleepers. This book validated what we are doing rather than offering anything really new. Would have liked more guidance on what to do if they are waking up rather than not going down to sleep
Jan 01, 2010 Mandi rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was such a fascinating read and helped me feel so prepared for the task of sleep training my boys. It made me feel empowered and more at peace with the daunting task of caring for twins. I loved his theory about sleep training. HUGE fan.
Nov 17, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
VERY HELPFUL BOOK! We plan to sleep train early, which I think will help us maintain our sanity, and this book had very good tips and explanations for why to do certain things. Just what I was looking for.
Oct 04, 2013 Jose rated it really liked it
This is a very clear and entertaining book. It also keeps a very optimistic point of view of the whole madness of having twins! My twins haven't arrived yet so I don't know if the advices and strategies are going to work or not :)
Jan 10, 2013 Christen rated it it was amazing
This book has been a great resource. We have been following the recommendations and at 13 weeks, our twins sleep from 7pm to 3:30 or 4am. We are starting to feel normal again!
Aug 31, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Nothing ground breaking, but I loved that my thoughts on sleep were reinforced by a professional (helped convince the hubby).
Apr 30, 2015 Jaime rated it it was ok
I really appreciated the beginning sleep discussion and the chapter on breast feeding. Otherwise he basically says: Cry It Out.
Nov 04, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it
I am sure I will need to reread this book once the babies are born, but it was a good first insight of what it takes to get twins on sleeping/eating schedules that make sense for the entire family!
Sep 25, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Read this while pregnant. Used some tips, but threw all the books out and did what I thought was best. Once I did that my twins slept through the night at 2 months old.
  • When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy
  • Mother Multiples: Breastfeeding & Caring for Twins or More!
  • The Same But Different: How Twins Can Live, Love, and Learn to Be Individuals
  • Ready or Not, Here We Come!: The Real Experts' Guide to the First Year with Twins
  • Double Time: How I Survived---and Mostly Thrived---Through the First Three Years of Mothering Twins
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • 1, 2, 3... the Toddler Years: A Practical Guide for Parents & Caregivers
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
  • Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • Imagine Childhood: Exploring the World through Nature, Imagination, and Play - 25 Projects that spark curiosity and adventure
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos