Start by marking “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins: A Step-by-Step Program for Sleep-Training Your Multiples” as Want to Read:

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  28 reviews
From one of the nation’s most trusted experts on children’s bedtime and nap time comes a new guide for sleep-training twins so that everybody (including Mom and Dad) will be rested and happy!

As parents of twins and multiples know, double the fun can be double the sleep deprivation. Now, in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, beloved pediatrician and renowned sleep authority
Published June 9th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins

Wendy
Probably most of you will not be looking for guidance on sleep-training multiples, but there is a prior version ("Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby") for those that prefer one baby at a time. However, assuming the principles are the same, I wouldn't recommend it. The first section about healthy sleep vs. "junk" sleep is wonderful and I was very excited about the book. But as for the actually technique, I was disappointed. It is pretty vague. I came away with, "Just do what feels natural and then ...more
Ricki
I've read 7 books now on baby sleep, and here is what I have learned: Babies are different.

Here are the more memorable books in order from easy to hard. #1 on this list assumes that your baby will be easy and naturally fall into a schedule of naps that works for them and everyone else. On the other end of the spectrum, #6 on this list assumes that your baby needs to be forced into to be a rigid, drill-sergeant schedule, to basically sleep-deprive them during the day so they will sleep 8 hours in
Emma
very informative book. Has been a real help to friends, but not to me unfortunately. My child still wouldn't sleep!
Katherine
I liked this book. Scott is reading it now. We're going to try these techniques on our twins in hopes that they will be sleeping through the night (4-5 hours in a row) by 3-4 months. We will be overjoyed if this actually occurs. :)

Update: THIS BOOK WORKS!!!! MY BABIES HAVE BEEN SLEEPING LIKE CHAMPS SINCE THEY WERE 4 MONTHS OLD, AND THEY HAVE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT SINCE THEY WERE 6 MONTHS OLD. WEISSBLUTH KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!! BUY THIS BOOK AND SLEEP TRAIN YOUR BABIES NOW!!!!!
Michelle Alley
Aug 18, 2009 Michelle Alley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: self-help
The one thing this book is not is a one child fits all sleep method. The book is split into three sections: an introduction to understanding sleep in children, techniques and strategies for sleep training your multiples, and finally a section combining breast feeding and sleep. I found each section not only was informational, but had specific strategies for your own situation. I recommend this book to anyone who is expecting twins or multiples.
Elicia
Loved the explanation on why babies and kids need good, scheduled sleep and also how much they need at every age, even what they should be doing week by week but it needed to be more specific on how to get there. I guess I was dissapointed to read that I shouldn't expect my girls' to sleep thru the night until they are a certain age (adjusted to the due date not birth date). I want them to sleep thru now...
Shanna Bridegan
After reading several sleep training books and blogs this book finally made sense to me! I credit this book and what I learned to the good sleep I get. I wish I would have read this book before I brought the babies home. It works!! And I like that he caters to different styles and doesn't demand one approach over the other, he lays the information out so you can choose the best options for your child.
Jc
It is nice to find a book written specifically for parents of multiples on the big subject of sleep. That said, I think this book works best when read in conjunction with Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. His first book goes into much greater detail about the types of sleep training that are out there, and then this book expands on the previous book with twins in mind.
Elena
Well, turns out I didn't really need these books on getting the twins to sleep. Gabriel is sleeping like a log for an unheard-of 10 hours a night and Daria is only waking up once for about 10 minutes to snack and then goes back to sleep. I am truly blessed! (Watch, I've now cursed my luck with this review and they'll start waking up more :)
Deborah
Full of solid advice. I hope it works. I read the regular version of this book months after my oldest son was born, and it was too late to try many of the techniques. Now that I'm expecting twins, I'm preparing to get them on a schedule as soon as possible, and the guidelines from this book will be helpful.
Jessica
Not bad, and I just skimmed the ended again before passing it on to another twin mom. I'm reminded that trouble at the witching hour typically means an earlier bedtime is needed. My trouble sleep went down at 5:30 tonight. Here's hoping he's more cheerful tomorrow, and that this doesn't become a normal bedtime.
Christen
If I didn't have "On Becoming Babywise" this book may have been more helpful. I did not find any of it to be "step-by-step" though. It did have a little more information on the amount of sleep they should be getting for their ages and how long their naps typically are - that was nice information.
Stephani
This is a hard one to rate as I haven't had the chance to implement the techniques yet. Many of them were very similar to what we used on our kiddos, just with a little different application since two babies are involved. I am hopeful, though I will say, reading this book made me tired. :)
Mandi
I loved this book. It was such a fascinating read and helped me feel so prepared for the task of sleep training my boys. It made me feel empowered and more at peace with the daunting task of caring for twins. I loved his theory about sleep training. HUGE fan.
Jose
This is a very clear and entertaining book. It also keeps a very optimistic point of view of the whole madness of having twins! My twins haven't arrived yet so I don't know if the advices and strategies are going to work or not :)
A.L. Sowards
Star rating subject to change depending on how well the suggestions work over the next few years. Easy to read, short, well-organized. If it does work, it will probably rank among the most worth-while books I have ever read.
Tasha
VERY HELPFUL BOOK! We plan to sleep train early, which I think will help us maintain our sanity, and this book had very good tips and explanations for why to do certain things. Just what I was looking for.
Mandy
This book was fine, but I didn't find it all that insightful or worthwhile. It basically seemed to reiterate what I would consider to be common sense. And it repeated the same few points over and over again.
Tracy
I am sure I will need to reread this book once the babies are born, but it was a good first insight of what it takes to get twins on sleeping/eating schedules that make sense for the entire family!
Christen
This book has been a great resource. We have been following the recommendations and at 13 weeks, our twins sleep from 7pm to 3:30 or 4am. We are starting to feel normal again!
Read this while pregnant. Used some tips, but threw all the books out and did what I thought was best. Once I did that my twins slept through the night at 2 months old.
Jill
Nothing ground breaking, but I loved that my thoughts on sleep were reinforced by a professional (helped convince the hubby).
Misty
I feel like this book was the key to my sanity when my twins were born. Thank you, Dr. Weissbluth!
Alissa
A must-read for all parents of twins (or the singleton version, "Healthy Sleep, Happy Child)
Abby
So thankful this book was written...I will be referring to it quite often.
Let's hope some of these suggestions work!
Jen
I live by this book.
Rhlibrary
Mar 01, 2011 Rhlibrary is currently reading it
Jen is dealing.
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 14, 2014
  • When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy
  • Mother Multiples: Breastfeeding & Caring for Twins or More! (La Leche League International Book)
  • The Same But Different: How Twins Can Live, Love, and Learn to Be Individuals
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 Creative  Games & Activities To Occupy 2-6 Yr Olds
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • Imagine Childhood: Exploring the World through Nature, Imagination, and Play - 25 Projects that spark curiosity and adventure
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child / Your Fussy Baby Your Fussy Baby The Essential Library for New Moms 4-Book Bundle: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child; The Baby Food Bible; Infant Massage; Colic Solved Sleep Consult