Start by marking “The Left Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Left Left Behind

The Left Left Behind (PM Press Outspoken Authors #1)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sardonic and merciless, this satire of the entire apocalyptic enterprise provides a humorous and timely interpretation of the bestselling Left Behind series—the adventures of those "left behind" to battle the Anti-Christ after all Born-Again Christians have ascended into heaven.From predatory preachers and goth lingerie to Indian casinos and “art cars” at Burning Man, this ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by PM Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Left Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Left Left Behind

Greg
This was my 2010 "Book I Read During Inventory". This book was planned to be Tao Lin's Shoplifting from American Apparel, but that book hadn't been counted yet when I started to read, and this one had.

Because this is a BIRDI, it means that it's a short book that I could read in about an hour with lots of beeping going on around, people yelling and occasionally having to get up and point out where the ISBN number is on a book (I just realized how many times I've said the words "ISBN number", and
Kersplebedeb
Fantastic idea, ask an SF author for a short story (or two) and buff it up with an intrview. The folks at PM are friends of mine, but as you may have noticed i try and be a bit extra hard when judging pals' books - so thee four stars is well merited. (Esp. as i have found Terry Bisson a bit hit-or-miss in the past.)

The best part of the book was the interview at the end. Acessible but more than just basic.

My one gripe - and i'm not even sure if it is enough to be a gripe - is the "show us your ti
Jamie Henderson
The two fiction pieces in this book are each pretty cute, and mildly entertaining. Both have the feel, however, of a cute idea that didn't quite warrant the length they were given. For short works by Bisson that are tighter and better paced, I recommend the 'Bears Discover Fire' collection instead.
Shel
Nov 05, 2014 Shel added it
Terry Bisson is editing PM Press' Outspoken Author series. I'm a fan! Each book includes a short story or two by an author and an interview. "The Science of Herself," by Karen Joy Fowler and "The Wild Girls," by Ursula K. Le Guin were fabulous and fascinating.

"The Left Left Behind," however, is farce and, OMG, silly.
David Schwan
This book has a short story "The Left Left Behind" and a short play "Special Relativity." The short story takes the idea of the rapture and twists it in a fun direction, with an appropriate ending. The play has Paul Robeson, Albert Einstein and J. Edgar Hoover as characters and takes revenge on Hoover. A short book with fun satire.
Steve
Enjoyable but slight. Includes a story that's a deft parody of the Left Behind Christian apocalypse books, which features a nice ending, and a play that's fun, followed by an interview and a bibliography. I've enjoyed all the Bisson books I've read, but this one could have had more substance to it.
Shauna
Jan 04, 2010 Shauna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction
This book is part of an interesting series that focuses on authors. This book's focus is science fiction writer Terry Bisson. It contains a short story—a parody of the "Left Behind" series—and a short play by Bisson, an interview with Bisson, and a bibliography.
Allan
Based on the interview who'd known Terry was involved with radical politics? Or friends with Peter Coyote or Mumia All Jamal?
If you're asking I enjoyed"The Left Left Behind", but I have preference for stuff that makes fun of Evangelicals. YMMV.
Gabriel
I really wanted to like this parody of Left Behind, but alas, it's an incredibly broad and not terribly clever parody. The play that makes up the second half of the book, "Special Relativity," is better.
James
Man, why does most left-wing satire suck so much? Ew. I've been really enjoying Terry Bisson lately (more coming) but this just bit.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Thelma
Thelma added it
Jan 17, 2014
Istrala
Istrala marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Toban B
Toban B marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Evie
Evie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Terry Ballantine Bisson is an American science fiction and fantasy author best known for his short stories, including "Bears Discover Fire" (1990), which which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards, as well as "They're Made Out of Meat" (1991), which has been adapted for video often.

Adapted from Wikipedia.
More about Terry Bisson...
Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2) The Fight to Survive (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1) They're Made Out of Meat Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories Fire on the Mountain