Start by marking “The Left Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Left Left Behind

The Left Left Behind

Sardonic and merciless, this satire of the entire apocalyptic enterprise provides a humorous and timely interpretation of the bestselling Left Behind series—the adventures of those "left behind" to battle the Anti-Christ after all Born-Again Christians have ascended into heaven. From predatory preachers and goth lingerie to Indian casinos and “art cars” at Burning Man, thi ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by PM Press (first published January 1st 2009)

Greg
Feb 18, 2010 Greg rated it liked it
This was my 2010 "Book I Read During Inventory". This book was planned to be Tao Lin's Shoplifting from American Apparel, but that book hadn't been counted yet when I started to read, and this one had.

Because this is a BIRDI, it means that it's a short book that I could read in about an hour with lots of beeping going on around, people yelling and occasionally having to get up and point out where the ISBN number is on a book (I just realized how many times I've said the words "ISBN number", and
John Defrog
Dec 02, 2015 John Defrog rated it it was ok
Another installment from the PM Press Outspoken Authors series, from an author I haven’t read before. Terry Bisson does SF and speculative fiction, but also plenty of non-fiction, novelizations, plays and political writing (sometimes all at once). He’s also been the one handling most of the Q&As for this series (or at least the ones I’ve read so far). This collection features a parody of the Left Behind series – which doubles as a left-wing dream scenario where every conservative on the plan ...more
Kersplebedeb
Fantastic idea, ask an SF author for a short story (or two) and buff it up with an intrview. The folks at PM are friends of mine, but as you may have noticed i try and be a bit extra hard when judging pals' books - so thee four stars is well merited. (Esp. as i have found Terry Bisson a bit hit-or-miss in the past.)

The best part of the book was the interview at the end. Acessible but more than just basic.

My one gripe - and i'm not even sure if it is enough to be a gripe - is the "show us your ti
Shel
Mar 09, 2014 Shel added it
Terry Bisson is editing PM Press' Outspoken Author series. I'm a fan! Each book includes a short story or two by an author and an interview. "The Science of Herself," by Karen Joy Fowler and "The Wild Girls," by Ursula K. Le Guin were fabulous and fascinating.

"The Left Left Behind," however, is farce and, OMG, silly.
David Schwan
Apr 10, 2011 David Schwan rated it liked it
This book has a short story "The Left Left Behind" and a short play "Special Relativity." The short story takes the idea of the rapture and twists it in a fun direction, with an appropriate ending. The play has Paul Robeson, Albert Einstein and J. Edgar Hoover as characters and takes revenge on Hoover. A short book with fun satire.
Steve
Mar 10, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
Enjoyable but slight. Includes a story that's a deft parody of the Left Behind Christian apocalypse books, which features a nice ending, and a play that's fun, followed by an interview and a bibliography. I've enjoyed all the Bisson books I've read, but this one could have had more substance to it.
Jamie Henderson
Jan 15, 2014 Jamie Henderson rated it liked it
The two fiction pieces in this book are each pretty cute, and mildly entertaining. Both have the feel, however, of a cute idea that didn't quite warrant the length they were given. For short works by Bisson that are tighter and better paced, I recommend the 'Bears Discover Fire' collection instead.
Shauna
Jan 04, 2010 Shauna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction
This book is part of an interesting series that focuses on authors. This book's focus is science fiction writer Terry Bisson. It contains a short story—a parody of the "Left Behind" series—and a short play by Bisson, an interview with Bisson, and a bibliography.
Allan
Oct 04, 2013 Allan rated it really liked it
Based on the interview who'd known Terry was involved with radical politics? Or friends with Peter Coyote or Mumia All Jamal?
If you're asking I enjoyed"The Left Left Behind", but I have preference for stuff that makes fun of Evangelicals. YMMV.
Gabriel
Sep 17, 2011 Gabriel rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this parody of Left Behind, but alas, it's an incredibly broad and not terribly clever parody. The play that makes up the second half of the book, "Special Relativity," is better.
Peter Tillman
Oct 20, 2016 Peter Tillman rated it it was ok
Pretty heavy-handed parody, though it has moments.
Matthew
Nov 08, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
James
Aug 16, 2010 James rated it did not like it
Man, why does most left-wing satire suck so much? Ew. I've been really enjoying Terry Bisson lately (more coming) but this just bit.
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2014
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Ed Erwin
Ed Erwin rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2015
Jacquelin Siegel
Jacquelin Siegel rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2013
Karen Shannon
Karen Shannon rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Chuck Leduc
Chuck Leduc rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Bill Householder
Bill Householder rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Tristy
Tristy rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2011
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2009
Dennis Henley
Dennis Henley rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2014
Sasha Pixlee
Sasha Pixlee rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
matteo
matteo rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2011
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Pedro Kapila
Pedro Kapila rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Terry Ballantine Bisson is an American science fiction and fantasy author best known for his short stories, including "Bears Discover Fire" (1990), which which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards, as well as They're Made Out of Meat (1991), which has been adapted for video often.

Adapted from Wikipedia.
More about Terry Bisson...