Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk (Ultimate Marvel)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Dr Bruce Banner has been presumed dead since his execution, following his murderous rampage through Manhattan as the Hulk. But when reports start cropping up of an unidentified creature appearing around the globe, Nick Fury begins to get worried.
Hardcover, Premiere HC, 144 pages
Published October 28th 2009 by Marvel

Stephen
PC REVIEW TITLE: Another MARVELous Miss.

HONEST REVIEW TITLE: A SUCKtacular SUCKtacle of SUCKy SUCKness that well and SUCKly SUCKed!!

Reviewed By: Rage with Dignity (hopefully)

Tsk, Tsk, WTFing Tsk, Marvel, you are killing me here. How on Earth-1610 can you FUBAR a Wolverine vs Hulk story and make it so FUGLY that I, a lifetime Wolverine and Hulk fanboy, have to slap a 1 star rating on you? HOW? How does this happen? ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!!!!

Okay, let’s review a few of the HUH? moments garnishing this...more
Myles
Hmmm, well the list I have of the Ultimate reading order was way off in putting this so early. Forge's presence was the big tip-off for that.

From watching Lost I already knew that Lindelof had no talent for character. I mean, come on, how many people watched that show for the characterization and their interpersonal involvements? We watched that show for the mysteries and the setting. I've come to terms with just how mediocre that show ended, but the mystery was great while it lasted.

Here in Wol...more
Sam Quixote
The title and cover art are at odds with each other - "Wolverine vs Hulk" and then a picture of Hulk ripping Wolverine in half. Not much of a matchup, eh? While the fight between the two is brief and one sided, the title says nothing about the third party that gives Hulk a run for his money, and the real story behind the fight.

I've never read anything by Damon Lindelof before but I think he got the characters down really well and enjoyed his globe-trotting bounty hunter storyline that suited Wo...more
Eric
Nov 09, 2013 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only the most openminded Marvel fans
Recommended to Eric by: $1.99 download on Amazon.com
Shelves: graphic-novels
I bought this because it was too hard to say no to a $1.99 download featuring two of my all-time favorite comic characters. That being said, the characters depicted here, while looking remarkably similar to my favorite characters, are not them.

I am old enough that I predate the "Ultimate Marvel" version of the Marvel universe, which I have to assume is non-canonical as it is so absurd, but the closest parallel I can draw from my comic reading experience is that this seemed like a What If comic,...more
Federiken Masters
Jan 09, 2013 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los personajes y/o los autores
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Leído de la edición española en revistas: Ultimate Lobezno vs. Hulk #1-3. Lindo festival de barrabasadas, mal gusto y diálogos bastante ingeniosos. El dibujo de Yu aporta basante y la narrativa no lineal le da un toque extra de diversión a un guion bueno pero que no deslumbra en casi ningún momento.
Paul
Not really much of a VS so much as a bro-mance story between the Hulk and Wolverine.
So I suppose this story could be said that Hulk and Wolverine are best frenemies? Sure, why not.
The art and colors are also very nice in this.
Not what I was expecting, it was a nice surprise of a book.
Craig
Pretty near perfect, say 4 1/2 stars. Awesome artwork from Leinil Yu and a pretty good story by Lindelof to boot.
La Revistería Comics
HULK vs WOLVERINE: Una historia de nunca ultimar…
Ultimate Lobezno Vs. Hulk es una miniserie editada por Panini en 3 números que recopila la miniserie USA de 6 números que tardó casi cuatro años en completarse (del 12/2005 al 5/2009), debido a la apretada agenda de Damon Lindelof, reconocida figura de la tv estadounidense.

En esta historia Wolverine (o Lobezno para los amigos españoles) es reclutado por S.H.I.E.L.D. para cazar a Hulk, que sobrevivió a una explosión nuclear. Una vez que el petiso r...more
Andrew Huey
Bought this on Comixology some time ago, and just got around to reading it.

It's a really fun book, with some nice little touches. (Nick Fury's Bosch painting, for instance.) I was afraid this would just be a big six-issue slugfest, but it was a lot more interesting than that. (Though if you just want a slugfest, there's plenty of that too.)

The art, by Leinil Francis Yu, is pretty good. His style is probably not for everyone, but I like it here. It fits well for the kind of story this is.

Bryan Pope
Dima Yakovenko
После кучи просто средних, слабых и отвратительных комиксов в линейке “Ultimate Marvel”, я уже и не рассчитывал, что найду в ней что-нибудь просто хорошее, но как же иногда приятно ошибаться. Да и сам факт, что я нашел не просто что-то хорошее, а отличное, невероятно удивляет и конечно же радует.

В данном сюжете перед читателями предстанет сюжет, повествующий о первый встрече Халка и Росомахи из Ultimate-вселенной. Логана нанимают для убийства Баннера, который совсем распоясался во время последне...more
Sonic
My first prejudiced know-it-all thought was this:

'Oh look, some big shot from television thinks he can write for comics. What he doesn't know is that the comics format is a special language, it is it's own medium, and just cause you co-wrote "Lost" or something, does not mean you know whats what in this graphic medium!'

Damn! Was I ever wrong!

This is fantastic!
Even my assumptions about this being a simple Hulk Vs. Wolverine throw-down were wrong.

With exceptional art to top it off,
I am glad the...more
David Haverstick
Well after discovering comixology and the weekly sales, I've found some pretty good stuff. This is not in that mix. I'm going with if you get ripped in half that it's not much of a fight. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not very good either.
Brent
This story shows its hand early with a whooping narrative hook, but fans of 'Lost' will giggle with glee with all the Lindelof themes contained including switching narrators, flashbacks and Buddhism.
Richard Barnes
This would have had 4 stars - the art is great, the story is fun and is cleverly put together and there's plenty of souped up action. However, it is part of the Ultimates line - exactly why Marvel feels the need to re-tell all of its stories from the past is unknown to me (well, it makes money I suppose).

It's a pity that there is a clear lack of imagination which means writers can't tell NEW stories, so we get an endless stream of "re-boots".

This is clearly a good writer, and clearly a very good...more
Sam
Really crazy, sexy and fun collaboration.
Hrishi
I'm beginning to think Damon Lindelof needs to be restrained when he writes his intricate plots. He needs a foil. This is a classic example of overusing non-linear story-telling (the out of order scenes and flashbacks ended up bugging me severely - and this from a man who endured three seasons of LOST); trying to be too "smart" about twists and surprises; and pissing off fans by (view spoiler)

It gets two stars only because some of the artwork...more
M.i.
Fun, quick, read...Pretty much boils down to Hulk doing a lot of bad things, Bruce feeling guilty about it and Nick Fury sending out Wolverine to put down the Hulk. Which makes for one heck of an action story. Of course its not as simplistic as stated above, there are actually some interesting twists and turns as the story progresses, but its still your good ole' beat em' down comic story. Lovely artwork, witty banter and some great fight scenes. This a pop corn movie condensed into comics form.
Jeff
A fun read. The un-orthodox structure in issue five was great, and if Lindelof had tried to experiment more with this, it could've been great. However, the story winds up being pretty un-eventful--and believe it or not: emo!--when it could've been much more engrossing and memorable.

Overall,though, a fun, quick read.

*Note--For all the reviewers butt-hurt about this not being the greatest thing since Fritz the Cat, then stop, breathe and accept that it's okay to read comics for fun.
Andy
Dec 13, 2009 Andy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
From a great opening this never really goes anywhere. It would have been interesting to see how Bruce managed to gain control over Hulk. To be honest it would have been interesting to have actually seen a proper fight between the two but it's never really shown. Ultimately the story isn't really advanced any further than where it starts and with the delayed completion of the series the place in the grander Ultimate Universe is rather out of date.
Michael Liggett
It was a decent rehash of a classic rivalry. I like that the Hulk was treated as a being of pure primal reflex and desire. It was a good excuse to draw a room full of voluptuous Asian chicks in bikinis laying provocatively around the Hulk if nothing else.

Since all we can expect from Marvel and DC are retooling a of rehashes of reboots of old, old characters and themes then it counts as high praise when I say this isn't the worst one they've done.
B
So much of the fun of this is that it is very clear that the Ultimate Comics universe is not the real universe.

So there are these kind of digs and over-the-top stuff that people would not feel confident enough to do in the real universe.

I'm not sure that this is a great story and something about is really repetitive. But I can't say it was blah.

Is it true that most comics feature a surprisingly omniscient character?
Jamie
Great art, great story, great humor. This isn't just another knock down, drag out fight between Hulk and Wolverine, although there is plenty of that, but it's funny, smart, gorgeous and well written too. Send the Wolverine, a man with a morally gray conscience, questionable loyalty and a nasty temper, to kill a nearly indestructible, green devastation machine with an equally sour demeanor? What could go wrong with that?!?
Ernest
A Wolverine that effectively showed him to be virtually invincible (if you don’t die after being ripped in two, then a lot of the danger goes out of the story) goes a long way to detracting from a story that was otherwise well plotted and set out. I don’t know whether I fully like these incarnations of the characters, but they are interesting and, for the most part, well done.
Zunaid
The Original(Green)Hulk has always been one the most popular sparring partners of Wolverine. So, Marvel tried to cash in on that in the Ultimate Universe as well. The art is one of the best in Marvel, but the story is quite dull and leaves the reader asking for more.

Only for hardcore Wolverine or Hulk fans only!!!! Others should stay away.
Liz H
For all of the problems that nearly destroyed my enjoyment of the Ultimate line, I seriously live this mini. The storyline is believable, we get to see the ugly side of Wolverine and the better side of Bruce Banner/Hulk, and there's some humor thrown in for flavor. I love Leinil Yu's art, though that had to grow on me. Just a good, fun read.
Edward Walsh
Perhaps not as cool or as memorable as it thinks, this book has two great characters, with a slightly questionable rivalry/vendetta in a battle that covers several countries. But maybe the best part is that is written retrospectively and out of order, Wolverine trying to cobble together memories before continuing in real time.
Patrick
a little talkier than you'd expect.
Shannon Appelcline
Huh. From all the previews and reviews I expected this to suck, but it's actually an interesting, character-driven story that's occasionally funny and plays fun tricks with chronology. It's perhaps a little more decompressed than it should be, but it's an interesting story about interesting characters.
Brendan
"DC's got the characters, but Marvel's got the stories." So I've heard. True in this case. For as many mediocre Batman and Superman books as there are, this story arc (by one of the guys from Lost, no less) is told so well, with such flair, it might make a Marvel regular out of me.
  • Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 5: Deadpool
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers: Crime and Punishment
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman Volume 1
  • Ultimatum
  • Ultimate Origins
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 17: Sentinels
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Vol. 1
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol. 1 Legends of the Dark Knight (2012- ) #1 Time Warp #1 Paradise Ultimate Comics Wolverine vs Hulk