Start by marking “A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)

A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen #6)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,235 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When Robert MacQuarrie was swept forward in time to present-day Scotland, he left behind in the thirteenth century a vow he could no longer keep—to protect his friend’s little daughter, Isabella. Haunted by guilt, he leaps at the chance to go back…except the fickle Faerie Magic returns him to his family castle twenty years after he left it. In Scotland, 1292, Isabella MacG ...more
Published January 26th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published January 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Highlander's Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Highlander's Homecoming

Tina
This was exactly what I needed. After reading a very difficult book club book, it was fabulous to return to an easy, entertaining, and captivating read!!

This was a SOLID 4 Star read. I loved our hero Robbie and I equally loved the heroine Isabella. Robbie was sexy, honorable, strong, and sweet. Isabella was feisty, kindhearted, and innocent. I really enjoyed reading their love story.

This is book 6 in "The Daughters of the Glen" series. I have read each book in order, and although each book is a
Barbara ★
I read A Highlander's Destiny (book 5) back in 2010 and have no explanation for the lag except prolific authors and new books. I've loved every book in this series and love to revisit old characters. This book was simply wonderful. I do love me some hot highlander's and throw in some time travel and I'm all set. I've always liked Robert MacQuarrie and anxiously awaited his story (well not to anxiously as it took me three years to read it). I loved that Isabella was all grown up and the perfect s ...more
Jenn
Jun 12, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Robbie MacQuarrie has spent the last few years living in a time that’s not his own. His friend’s wife Cate brought him forward with them to save his life and while he’s grateful to her, he can’t help but regret not being able to fulfill the promise he’d made to a dying friend to take care of the man’s daughter. When the opportunity comes up to go back, with a new ward that needs to escape the present, Robbie jumps at the chance. It isn’t that he doesn’
Cindi
Aug 21, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it
Just as cute a time-travel read as her other books. I felt, however, that this one was lacking a bit in the underlying plot that travels along with each story - the fight against the evil Nuadins - so there was very little tension other than that of the H/h straightening out all the myriad problems in their lives so they could be together. Does anybody else want to slap characters up side the head for their wrong thinking? I swear, lately I feel the love story parts are all angsty because one ch ...more
Heather Houston
Jul 11, 2011 Heather Houston rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, but also wanted to smack Isa!!! She and her stupid decisions kept me awake until 6 am reading this book! She really frustrated me with the decisions she made and her stubborn behavior, but I guess if she hadn't been like that I would not have been up until dawn reading this. :) I love this whole series of books! Definitely needs to be read in order.
Susan Ikin
Mar 13, 2017 Susan Ikin rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book in the series, although not my favourite. A critical plot point (spoiler alert..... the loss of the heroines Fae powers) was hinted at but never completely explained, so I thought perhaps this could have been tweaked.
That being said, I enjoyed this one as well, and am a bit sad that I only have one left......
Sandy M
Jul 26, 2011 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
Melissa Mayhue’s books are getting better and better, and if you haven’t read her yet, you are missing out on some flat-out great stories. Her Guardian books have been my favorites so far in this series, but AHH has nestled right alongside them in the No. 1 spot. Besides a terrific hero and heroine, it’s the time traveling that made this book so good.

At the end of A Highlander’s Destiny, it’s Robert who has volunteered to escort Leah, the heroine’s sister, who had been so torturously treated by
Barb Lie
Oct 30, 2011 Barb Lie rated it it was amazing
“A Highlander’s Homecoming” is the 6th book of Daughters of the Glen series by Melissa Mayhue. Just when you think you read the best book previously, here comes one that beats it or comes damn close.

At the end of the last book, Robert volunteered to escort Leah, Destiny’s sister, who had been so torturously treated by Faeries, back in time so she cannot be located by those evil-doers again. The book picks up immediately with the plan for Robert to land at his home near the time he left ten year
Johanna
Mar 30, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it
A Highlander's Homecoming
(Daughters of the Glen Series, Book #6)
by Melissa Mayhue

Genre: Paranormal Romance | Time-Travel

SCOTLAND, PRESENT DAY. When Faerie Magic swept ROBERT MACQUARRIE forward in time, modern medicine saved him from a fatal wound. But he also left behind an unfulfilled vow—to protect his friend’s young daughter, Isabella. Haunted by guilt for over a decade, he leaps at the chance to go back and keep that vow. The magic of the Fae works in its own mysterious ways, however.

SCOTLA
Robin Priddy
Mar 25, 2010 Robin Priddy rated it liked it
Isabella Macgahan was a small child when her father died and was left in the care of her grandfather. When Isabella's grandfather finds out that she shares her mothers fae gifts she is treated like a pariah. When she becomes old enough she talks her grandfather into letting her live alone in a cottage outside the castle walls. Anytime she is called to the castle to see her grandfather Isabella makes herself into a dirty, crazy woman. She does this so that people will leave her alone and her gran ...more
Lori McD
Loved this book! So glad that Robert MacQuarrie, who time traveled into the 21st century with his best friend Connor in the 1st book, finally had his own story!

Leah, Destiny's sister from the previous book "A Highlander's Destiny" needs a safe place to hide from the Nuadian Fae. She's terrified that they'll find her and continue taking her blood... and actually go through with raping her to produce more half-blood Fae offspring to keep Adira, Flynn, and Devlin in their Bloodlust.

Pol makes a sugg
Angie
Apr 13, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "When Robert MacQuarrie was swept forward in time to present-day Scotland, he left behind in the thirteenth century a vow he could no longer keep—to protect his friend’s little daughter, Isabella. Haunted by guilt, he leaps at the chance to go back…except the fickle Faerie Magic returns him to his family castle twenty years after he left it. In Scotland, 1292, Isabella MacGahan is now a grown woman. Rejected by her family for her Faerie blood and uncanny powers, her safety depends on p ...more
Alicia
Mar 04, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it
This is the first book in this series that I have read and I found the world building portions to be a little weak in giving a good overview of what the magical elements in the story, why the magic works and why the bad Fae are bad. Anyway, I found the magical elements of the story a little confusing and mentions of characters found in other books in the series distracting since I didn't know who any of these people were.

What I did like very much was the hero. I thought the author created an ou
Shannon
Dec 13, 2010 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: swapped-donated
Robert MacQuarrie returns to Scotland, 1292, from the present day to fulfill an obligation. He had promised his dying friend that he would protect his friend's young daughter, Isabella MacGahan. Instead of arriving in the year that Robbie left, he arrived much later and the little girl he was supposed to protect has become a woman.

I can't pinpoint exactly why I didn't like this book as much as the other books in the series. The main female character, Isabella, seemed stubborn, immature, and not
Jilly
Jan 27, 2012 Jilly rated it liked it
Again, this series isn't wonderful but it is intriguing for some reason. It might be that it feeds my need for Highlanders but I'm not really sure. I would say that if you want a lighthearted read this series is it.

As for the characters. I had hoped that Leah would be more prevalent in this story but as she's young it did seem unlikely. Instead, we get more on Robert who was a big help to Jesse and Destiny in the previous book.

I think at of all the characters in this series, Robert is one of my
Piroska
Mar 02, 2016 Piroska rated it liked it
No surprises here, you'll get what you expect. All the talk about Soulmates was a bit too much for me, but it was only at the beginning, so that we knew who the main characters were (the ones who were complaining about never finding their Soulmates). I wanted a bit more of the time-travel stuff, there was basically nothing about how they managed to live in a totally different environment, but apart from that, it was good. Simple love story, no unnecessary complications that came from lack of tru ...more
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and much fun.
the author writes so descriptively and creatively that you truly feel that you are dipping your fingers in the river or smelling the scents of her porridge.
Isa is the granddaughter to the laird but kept at a distance because she is part Fae. Isa originally believe that she wants nothing more to be left alone but is pleasantly shocked when she meets Robbie and doesn't want him to leave.
Robbie literally travels through time to fulfill an oath to his friend.... ke
Jocelin
I read this book before I read #5. No harm done with introduction of the characters in the story. This one was just okay. The main characters in my opinion were a little on the dull side. The story was not that exciting. Sometimes it felt like there were multiple stories that were going on the the book and it hammpered the flow of the overall plot of the story. It was a quick read and it was nice to see some of the other characters from the Daughters of the Glen series.
Joy
Aug 30, 2011 Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
hated this book... i actually threw it across the room after just a couple chapters..pretty disapointing when you spend 7.99 on a book and it turns out to be such trash...couldn't get into this book at all..the words began to blurr together..i found myself trying to concentrate on what i just read and had to keep going back to reread the page again..ughhh..
♥ Nell ♥
Jun 07, 2012 ♥ Nell ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: melissa-mayhue
I enjoyed this book. I am especially glad with the two epilogues. It was good to see he (one of the villains) wasn't a villain at all, or very much. It depends on your point of view. I suppose he was villainish with redeeming qualities. I think I just came up with a new word.

Lisa
Apr 06, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a sweet ending to the series. I always liked Robbie MacQuarrie from the previous books, and his story was almost heartbreaking. I adored the fiery Isabella MacGahan, but my favorite character was little Jamie. The epilogue tied all the stories up together quite nicely.
Jen
Aug 30, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Decent plot but the pacing was very strange. There's some tension, then cut to a new chapter and forget about what happened until
it is mentioned in past tense how it was resolved. If it had more editing it could have been a 4-star.
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
This series isn't wonderful but it is intriguing and feeds my need for Highlanders. The stories are lighthearted and quick reads. I didn't find this particular story was as good as some of the others though.
Jill Wilson
Sep 16, 2010 Jill Wilson rated it really liked it
So, so good. This is such a great series. A must read!!! Onto the next :)
Karry
Jan 09, 2013 Karry rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! This plot keeps getting better and better! Robbie is a GREAT character! One of my favorites in the series!
Annette
Dec 13, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing
Love it. Faerie magic, love, time travel...everything I love in a book.
I am going back to the library and searching for more books by Melissa Mayhue.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
Mary
Apr 13, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I can't wait to read the next one in the series. I hope Melissa Mayhue has more planned for the future!!!
Diane
May 23, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
Robert is such a quiet guy... It was nice to see him get some adventure!
Maryanne/MA
  • Only With a Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Aching for Always
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • Some Like it Kilted (Highlander #4)
  • Silent Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Victory (Masters of Time, #4)
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • Highland Knight
Melissa Mayhue lives in Colorado, in the shadow of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, with her family, two insanely spoiled dogs, one domineering cat, a turtle with an attitude, and way too many fish in their aquarium. If any one thing is obvious about the books I like best, it's that I love my Happy Ever After endings!!
More about Melissa Mayhue...

Daughters of the Glen (8 books)
  • Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • A Highlander's Destiny (Daughters of the Glen, #5)
  • Healing the Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #7)
  • Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)