Start by marking “Teaching the New Writing: Technology, Change, and Assessment in the 21st-Century Classroom” as Want to Read:

How has the teaching of writing changed in the 21st Century? In this innovative guide, real teachers share their stories, successful practices, and vivid examples of their students creative and expository writing from online and multimedia projects, such as blogs, wikis, podcasts, electronic poetry, and more! The book also addresses assessment: How can teachers navigate th ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Teachers College Press

To ask other readers questions about Teaching the New Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching the New Writing

Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
The "old ways" of teaching writing have little to do with writing that is developing in "the real world." As emerging technologies increasingly impact the way we write and even what makes writing, we need to study, experiment, and research this behavior we have taken so for granted.

This book includes several studies and teaching practices that challenge writing instructors across disciplines and ages.
Antje
Apr 23, 2011 Antje rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
For those looking for ideas, go no further. This book is nicely written, not too overwhelming and the ideas are definitely doable. I particularly like the chapter on "media literacy" - we need that now more than we need computer literacy. The kids got that down. Our school will make some technological strides over the summer and this book helped get on track. Love the blogger idea.
Deborah
Jul 18, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
I didn't read every page of every chapter of this book, but gobbled some up and just tasted others. Still, I think it's one of the most well informed books out (that I know of) on the subject of using technology in classrooms. It doesn't just jump on technology because it's fun but deals with issues of access and relationship to learning as well as assessment.
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Inspired by the changes to writing habits that seem to pervade all environments but the classroom, this book looked at a number of teachers who are attempting to incorporate multi-modal writing into their curricula, to varying degrees of success. Unsurprisingly, the assignments teachers designed seemed to recapitulate or (at best) extend previous skills more so than revolutionize writing itself. However, what did change (in most cases) was students' willingnesses and desires to share their writi ...more
Lynn
Sep 02, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
The title drew me to this book, then I almost did not finish it as over 2/3 of the book addresses high school and college level writing. Not wanting to have to start another, I decided I would look for the commonalities within and across the levels. I was not disappointed! I discovered that most teachers at all levels are sticking their toes into the water to try integrating technology, student input into assessments is important, connecting the project to the appropriate assessment is tricky, a ...more
Claudia
Feb 09, 2010 Claudia rated it really liked it
I was just talking to a student today who told me he wasn't doing much reading, but he's involved with media...he said, "But that's reading, isn't it?" The exact purpose of this book. Literacy must be expanded to include reading and writing in different media.

I was inspired by the teachers' stories about their classrooms and their students. I was excited by their honesty about not feeling confident about their own knowledge of technology. I've been challenged while reading, to include more techn
Kevin Hodgson
Sep 06, 2009 Kevin Hodgson rated it it was amazing
Well
I am an editor and writer here, so I will hold off on any reviews (ha).
But I will point out that we did a series of podcasts on Teachers Teaching Teachers that might be of interest.
More info at my blog: http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/2009/07/1...
Kevin
Shannon
Jun 12, 2011 Shannon is currently reading it
Great ideas for the digital writing the classroom. In each chapter, the teacher/author addresses curriculum standards, the writing process, and issues with assessment.
Tina  M
Jun 21, 2013 Tina M rated it liked it
a practical guide for using technology in the classroom with writing.
Jianna Taylor
Jun 29, 2012 Jianna Taylor rated it really liked it
This book offers various ways to help teachers teach students to compose using technology, with real classroom examples from elementary school through college.
Liz
Jun 18, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, writing
This book had some great lessons to try with students, and it raised good questions about the value of state writing assessments.
Jan
Sep 23, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Lots of great examples and thoughtful reflections.
Crystal
Jun 03, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it
Failing to suggest ways to get a district's IT department on-board, this series of articles presents some fanastic ideas: some I would love to incorporate in my classroom.

Yet...
Abby Shubert
Abby Shubert rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Jamieanna
Jamieanna rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Paige Kinnaird
Paige Kinnaird rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Jan Sharp
Jan Sharp rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Kacy Mitchell
Kacy Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Miriam Ling
Miriam Ling rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Monda
Monda rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2009
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Kara Poe Alexander
Kara Poe Alexander rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Michelle Robinette
Michelle Robinette rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
jmjester
jmjester rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
T.O. Weller
T.O. Weller rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Laren
Laren rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2010
Joe Wood
Joe Wood rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2011
Jessica Nastal
Jessica Nastal rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013