Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1

Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 (Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1 Masterworks X-Men 1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,652 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Feast your eyes on the foundation of one of comic's most-famous franchises. It's all here from the very beginning with the debut of Cyclops, Angel, Beast, Iceman and Marvel Girl, Professor X's teen team with a mission of peace and brotherhood for man and mutant, in their first battle with the Master of Magnetism, Magneto. Written by Stan "The Man" Lee and illustrated by Ja ...more
Published April 8th 2009 by Marvel (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Joseph Rice
Apr 04, 2015 Joseph Rice rated it liked it
Shallow Comics Readers Buddy Read, theme of: X-Men!!!!

description

This collection of X-Men #s 1-10 feature many of the themes that will develop over the course of the history of the X-Men. The reader is introduced to the budding romance between Scott Summers and Jean Grey, Cerebro, the hostility of homo sapiens towards homo superior, the battle between Magneto and the X-Men, and the extended vocabulary of The Beast.

Stan Lee's scripts are a little better here than in the early volumes of Fantastic Four and
Nicolo Yu
Dec 19, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
Five youths gifted with an extra power that set them apart from ordinary homo sapiens and charged to protect a world that feared and hated them because of their genetic gifts. They were the first class of X-Men.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were trying to create an entirely different comics formula in The X-Men to distinguish them from the other team book that debuted in the same year, The Avengers. In the Silver Age of Marvel Comics, the duo of Lee and Kirby were responsible for earlier hits like the
Michael
Jun 18, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Ungezählte Male habe ich diese ersten Hefte der X-Men gelesen, und nie werde ich die ungeheure Faszination vergessen, die dieses Team für mich als 10-Jährigen hatte. Welche Magie ging von einem Mutanten mit Flügeln aus, der der Engel genannt wurde, welche Anziehungskraft von der nicht minder himmlischen Jean Grey, die der Traum eines jeden Teenagers sein musste? Eine so starke Faszination hatten die Hefte damals auf mich als Kind, dass sie beim Wiederlesen wie bei Proust die Madeleine eine ganze ...more
Aaron
In this collection of the first ten issues of X-Men from 1963, Professor X and the original five X-Men (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel) take on Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Mastermind, Toad, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and the Blob), meet Namor in issue 6 and the Avengers in issue 9, and travel to the Savage Land for their first meeting with Ka-Zar in issue 10.

My prep work for Avengers: Age of Ultron continues by checking out the origins of Pietro and Wanda Maximo
Bob
Jan 03, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Dated, goofy, cheesy, but fun. Classic Kirby art is great. But wait, Dr. X had the hots for Jean?
Evan Leach
Jun 24, 2012 Evan Leach rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 1960-1969, marvel
This contains the original 10 issues that started it all. I really enjoyed these as a kid, and decided to revisit them. The original X-Men consisted of Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, and Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). As ever, the team is lead by Professor Charles Xavier and his superhuman brain. Among other evildoers, the X-Men confront Magneto, Lucifer, and The Blob.

These first issues were published between 1963-65, and I regret to say they are a bit...dated. Despite (or perhaps because of) covers p
Steven
Sep 05, 2012 Steven rated it it was ok
For the X-Men, it all began here (drumroll!) The Stan & Jack comics factory set to work onb yet another series, and yet another team book filled with chest-thumping, the burden of arcane power, and lashings of soap opera. The problem here is that Kirby was becoming seriously overworked, and Lee was pretty much at the saturation point himself -- the stories and characters were beginning to be very routine, very by the numbers, and the more Lee fell back on the tried-and-true, and the more he ...more
B. Jay
Mar 26, 2010 B. Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original tales of the X-Men are notable primarily only in that it all started here: a massive comic continuity and franchise that took forever to spread itself to video games, movies and merchandising. From the start the masked band of mutant teenagers always stood in the shadows next to their Marvel contemporaries Spider-Man, Reed Richards & co., Incredible Hulk, etc. You can bet your ass that Stan Lee knew what he was doing at every step of the creation of the Marvel Universe, and the ...more
James
Dec 16, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Uncanny X-Men, first issue by Stan and Jack, could cost you thousands. Why not get a reprint instead? I got the Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 trade paperback [The Uncanny X-Men Masterworks (The Uncanny X-Men, Nos 1-5)]of the first issues of X-Men stories and though I'm not a fan of the characters, I can see why the series would be so popular among the many characters that Stan and Jack pumped out in the early Sixties.

The X-Men are teenagers at the start. It was interesting to see the development of The B
Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
Ah, the very first issues of the good ole' X-Men. Back when the line-up was Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Jean Grey, and Angel. Back when they called Jean Grey Marvel Girl and when Iceman looked like Frosty the Snowman. Where one of the most recognized superhero teams started--with the words of Stan Lee and the drawings of Jack Kirby, the two greats of the Silver Age.

In the first ten issues the quality varies a bit from issue to issue, but I can't say there are any really bad issues. An obvious favor
Lloyd
Here it is... The very first adventures of the X-Men...

This beautiful hardcover contains the first ten issues of the series from 1963-1965.

With this being the very first volume of stories of my very favorite comic book characters, I had to give it five stars. It's very interesting to see where they've come from. One can even see the beginnings of the constant anti-prejudice theme that's always run through the series...

Also, this volume features the very first appearances of (get ready) Profess
Stephanie
Jun 13, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Re-runs of a couple of the X-Men movies have been playing on lately, and I've never seen, or cared to see, an X-Men movie until now. I've been missing out. So, I've decided to go and read the comics.

The trouble was where to start. There are so many series underneath "X-Men" and countless issues. I thought the best way was to start at the very beginning. It's probably not the best way.

I wasn't sure whether to review this as I would had I read it as if I were in 1963 or review it by today.

And t
Scott Lee
I had to adjust a bit to the cheesiness of these issues, but in the end, it was fun. The stories and art (at their best) have grown by leaps and bounds from these early issues, but there is consistent quality here, and I have to keep reminding myself that the accumulation of incredible depth in this family of comics was built up a month at a time starting with these ten issues. As I got further into the volume and adjusted to the style of the age rather than constantly comparing it to the stacks ...more
Rich Meyer
Nov 06, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I'm not that big a fan of the new X-Men (Wolverine and co.) ... they're okay and have had some good stories. I'm much more an aficionado of the original X-Men. Their adventures were weird, but usually pretty down-to-earth.

This Masterworks volume features the first ten issues of the original series, with artwork by Jack Kirby. Besides the X-Men, there are the first appearances of Magneto, the Blob, the Vanisher, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and the first modern appearance of Ka-Zar, Zabu and
Mike Jensen
I read this just prior to seeing one of the X-Men films. It was effective contrast for the slightly different vision of the movie. Separate issue: is it any good?

The comics in this collection were published after success had gone to Stan Lee's head with the result that he pressed the formula of story-stopping heavy soap opera, character boasting, and extended and usually pointless fight scenes until Marvel comics became banal. These are the very reasons their hardcore fans love them. The rest of
Morgan
May 04, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of the X-Men since the 90s cartoon. Not sure how long ago that was, but to me the X-Men feel like family. When the X movies came out I actually started to read the comics (starting with Uncanny X-Men). Thus, my love for comics started and bloomed. Reading the very first issue of X-Men was a treat for me; how can I even call myself a fan?

These first 10 issues were actually really strange reading. I knew all the characters, but the story still seemed unfamiliar to me. It's like som
Shane
Apr 16, 2010 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I was a little worried about this being just too corny to put up with but it ended up being a lot of fun. There was some ccol stuff that I never knew about the x-men - prof x was in love with Jean Grey (Marvel Girl/Phoenix), a villian named Lucifer was responsible for prof x being in a wheelchair. But probably even better than that was all the cover blurbs. They are just hilarious. Boasting about how great the comic is, how "strange" the x-men are.

Definitely recommended for any fans of the x-
Kristen
The delightfully cheesy beginnings of the X-Men! Seriously, for all that they do far too much talking, I've endured some good and some bad live-action movies, and I'm indulging in the almost equally cheesy animated series thanks to Netflix (which is how I got into the X-Men in the first place, in high school). My inner completist is thrilled that I can finally get my hands on the originals, and I can't wait to get my hands on later volumes.
Travis
Jun 29, 2008 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Lots of fun, action filled stories from back in the day when X-men was readable and hadn't yet become 'Wolverine and his amazing friends!'.
Not as strong as Stan and Jack's work on the Fantastic Four and Avengers, but there's still lots of action, excitement, cool villains, monsters and the original X-men line up is still one of my favorites.
The attempts at 'teen angst' can be a bit cringe causing though.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Kind of fun to go through old comics, but also kind of torturous, because the prose is so over-wrought, they all start out in the danger room with bizarre training contraptions and end with a super villain/mutant attack, and Scott and Jean just pine endlessly over each other (except for that one weird issue where Professor X grossly professes his desire for Jean to the reader, and then never mentions it again). I appreciate this book much more as an historical document than as literature, but it ...more
Troy
Jan 02, 2016 Troy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Fun to read the original ten X-Men comics just to see where and how it all began. The dialogue is definitely corny at times, and some of the stories are pretty basic compared to modern X-Men comics. If you keep in mind the time period these were written in, then they are an enjoyable read.
Richard
Jun 05, 2009 Richard rated it it was ok
These first X-Men stories aren't as much fun as I remembered. Jack Kirby's art is generally enjoyable. The writing feels lazy, although the visit to a Village beatnik bar is a true classic. Also, I don't think Stan Lee understands what magnetic means.
John Porcellino
Aug 30, 2012 John Porcellino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Some good moments, and still fun, but this one never had the spark of Fantastic Four, The Mighty Thor, or the other Kirby-Lee collaborations. Still, necessary for any Kirby fan or fan of Marvel Comics.
Ben
Jun 21, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
Some ridiculously silly plots and dialogue, but good fun and neat to see where these characters all came from and how they evolved (all of a sudden in issue 3 Beast is the braniac).
Jake
May 09, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, x-men, nypl, marvel
The very beginning of probably my favorite group of superheroes. These issues were written in the 60s so they are, of course, corny, campy, and way over written. But, fun.
Ashara
Jan 12, 2014 Ashara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun! I'm working my way through the entirety of the X-Men (don't ask me why) and it's a nice thing to read on my iphone when I'm walking to work or on the bus. It was fun to see the characters in completely different guises to the ones in which we see them now. Here, for example, Xavier's injury is caused by Lucifer, rather than Magneto - who appears not to have a back-story of note as yet.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way they're treating Marvel-Girl here. A little cliche, sure, bu
Mike Wierzbicki
The emergence of the X-Men. These issues have aged horribly, but it's interesting to investigate the roots of the team.
Maxine Marsh
Jan 20, 2014 Maxine Marsh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, kids
I had a lot of fun reading this to my 6 year old daughter and watching her get into the X-men series.
Clark
Nov 11, 2014 Clark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These stories were tough to get through. I've been a casual fan of the X-men since I was a kid, but I wanted to go back and read some of the classic originals. Tough to see the original team as a true work in progress. It takes a while before they approach anything like a fully fleshed out set of characters that can be discriminated from one another. Moreover, these early stories are mostly pretty boring. Roughly half of each issue seems to be the X-men training in the Danger Room, which is obvi ...more
Frank Taranto
Jul 27, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The first 10 of the original X-men printed in color. Fun for me.
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 3
  • Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Captain America, Vol. 1
  • Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
  • X-Men: First Class, Volume 1: Tomorrow's Brightest
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Wonder Woman Archives, Vol. 1
  • X-Men Legacy: Divided He Stands
  • Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Book 1
  • Batman Archives, Vol. 1
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1 (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2