Start by marking “An Education” as Want to Read:
An Education

An Education

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,452 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author—the shooting script to his award-winning film, with an original Introduction and vivid stills from the movie.

Jenny is a 16-year-old girl stifled by the tedium of adolescence; she can’t wait for her sophisticated adult life to begin. One rainy day her suburban existence is upended by the arrival of David, a much older suitor w
Published October 6th 2009 by Riverhead Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about An Education, please sign up.

Stephanie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Patrick
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
I picked this book up for two reasons: 1)Because it was Nick Hornby and I'd buy his grocery list if it came with a 30 page forward about how and why he chose the items on his list; and 2) it was $4 in the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble, and I had a gift card.

It's basically just the screenplay for the film of the same name, with a foreward describing Nick Hornby's process in both being approached to write a screenplay for the first time, and how it differed from his usual approach to writing.
Marianna Rainolter
4,5 +
La mia prima vera sceneggiatura e l'ho adorata! Certo fa molto strano e ora sono curiosissima di vedere il film, ma è stato tutto molto interessante! Bella la spiegazione dell'incubazione di sceneggiatura e film e dell'esperienza del Sundace, con pure il finale alternativo
Bunny
Sep 15, 2013 Bunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
È stato bello leggerlo e rivedere nella mia mente le scene del film, un film che ho adorato e che a molti potrà apparire banale ma che io conservo gelosamente per motivi affettivi.
Holly
Feb 26, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
I love Nick Hornby. I also love this movie. Clearly, this book was lovely.
Feb 20, 2017 Stephanie rated it liked it
divertissant mais peu de surprise , un peu simple et attendu
Bryan
Mar 19, 2017 Bryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, screenplays
An enjoyable screenplay and I am looking forward to watching the film now.
Marina Morais
Feb 07, 2017 Marina Morais rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Okay, so the script in itself is great, but I can't just go along with this Lolita bullshit. That's why I can't go past 3 stars. Of course I knew what the story was, I saw the film years ago, but still.

I don't usually read prefaces, but this one was 40 pages long and consisted of Nick Hornby's description of the whole process of writing, producing and selling the film, so I gave it a go. Regardless of his sounding like your regular self-centred author who thinks he's the brightest person in the
Andrea Mullarkey
Aug 02, 2012 Andrea Mullarkey rated it really liked it
Shelves: screenplay
When a colleague told me we’d gotten this screenplay and that we now own the book, the screenplay and the movie I thought it would make a great choice for our Book Into Film series. For no reason I can fathom, I read the screenplay before the memoir. It was wonderful, witty and fast and a bit heart-breaking. After the screenplay I watched the film and was pleased to see that Lone Scherfig had captured all of that and the wonderful style of 1960s London.

Charmed by both the screenplay and the film
Giulia Astarita
Nov 25, 2015 Giulia Astarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando vidi l'omonimo film qualche anno fa, non avevo idea che la sceneggiatura fosse di Hornby. L'ho scoperto per caso qualche giorno fa e non ho resistito alla tentazione di leggere la sceneggiatura per poi rivedere subito il film.
Il libro si apre con una sorta di "diario di bordo" in cui Hornby racconta, con il suo solito stile scanzonato e accattivante, come è nata la storia e la sua esperienza al Sundance Film Festival per la promozione e distribuzione del film.
La storia, di per sé è sempl
Stop
Oct 28, 2009 Stop added it
Read an excerpt from an interview with Carey Mulligan, actress in the film adaptation of An Education at Stop Smiling Online

British sensation Carey Mulligan is a poised, fearless and inventive 23-year-old actress. In Danish director Lone Scherfig’s An Education, set in 1961 London, Mulligan plays Jenny, a sophisticated, if somewhat dreamy 16-year-old schoolgirl who finds herself irrevocably succumbing to the mysterious charms of a Jewish aesthete (sharply played by Peter Sarsgaard).

It’s a bravur
Nov 18, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
I read this because I missed the film in theaters and am not a big fan of watching DVDs. The author's notes in the beginning are thorough and funny, and I enjoyed learning about the journey of the film and story. This is an easy read, and the characters are endearing. The best part of reading this is that you get to choose the ending - the ending as Hornby wrote it wasn't included in the film. I liked having the choice (the author's ending had more closure), but I liked the ending that the film ...more
David Bril
Sep 12, 2014 David Bril rated it really liked it
Shelves: nick-hornby
This is the screenplay to the award winning film An Education, which Nick Hornby happened to write. The story is about a young lady who falls in love with a cunning and slick young man who almost ruins her chance at living her dream, of going to a fancy school. Reading the screenplay was a real pleasure for me and it really enhanced my opinion on the film as a whole. Hornby was nominated for a Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for this work and it was well deserved and likely should have gotten the ...more
Letizia
Sep 22, 2014 Letizia rated it it was ok
I found this screenplay mildly interesting. It explores the first experiences of a sixteen-year-old girl who wants to live life to the fullest but is constantly pulled back by the restraints of middle-class society, back in the 60s. At least until she meets an attractive stranger (or as Woody Allen would say "a tall, dark stranger") who seems able to give her exactly what she desires.
Light reading (well, it is a screenplay after all). It's okay if you don't have nothing better on the shelf, if
Kerrif
May 14, 2014 Kerrif rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000s, shootingscript
Matt Miles
Mar 21, 2016 Matt Miles rated it really liked it
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I want to now. Even without the nuance of performances, the solid writing and taut pacing kept my interest to the end, along with a respect for character that could so easily of been lacking in a story of this sort. It works as a cringe comedy, as a family drama, and as a historical drama of sorts. My only gripe was the ending, which resorted to a voiceover I thought was unnecessary and cliched. At least they didn't go with the alternate ending, which was just ...more
Julia
May 01, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, for-the-eyes, paper
Endlich mal wieder ein gutes Buch von Nick Hornby, ich hatte es schon fast aufgegeben. Vor allem nach dem JULIET, NAKED Debakel.
"Buch" ist vielleicht der falsche Ausdruck, denn es ist viel mehr das Drehbuch zum Film, aber auch als Buch lesbar.
Es dauert etwa so lange das Buch zu lesen wie den Film zu gucken (nehme ich an, denn bis dato habe ich ihn noch nicht gesehen).
Etwas, was AN EDUCATION Minuspunkte beschert hat, ist, dass ich die Schauspieler schon vorher kannte. Also wer wen im Film verkör
Katrina
Nov 27, 2009 Katrina rated it really liked it
This book was engrossing filled with amazing writting and certainly worth the time to read it.. I completed it in one afternoon. Although it was short, it was full of emotion and meaning. We can all remember our young and innocent youth and nothing, NOTHING, should ruin that time in a person's life. Jenny is lead into a world that is so exciting and adult. Eventualy, even her parents believe she is making a good decision in spending time with David, who is a sauve sweet talker. By the end of the ...more
Allison
Feb 01, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
A screenplay based on a memoir essay by Lynn Barber, adapted by Nick Hornby. I haven't seen the movie, but I'm kind of curious to, now. It's about a sixteen-year-old girl in England in 1962. She starts dating an older man, and it's how her family, friends, and teachers react. The ending was wonderful. The alternate ending was ehh - but that's why it was the alternate! It was a quick read - I read it in two hours, tops, so I'm curious how it would translate on screen - what moments would be expan ...more
Lauren
Oct 28, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
Nick Hornby has written a very engaging screenplay and I'm looking forward to seeing the film. The casting seems ideal and Hornby's screenplay seems to have accurately captured 1960's London and the ideals of that time period. I particularly enjoyed the forward written by Hornby that prefaces the screenplay itself. It was interesting to hear how he happened upon the original memoir, and how this memoir eventually got produced and made into the film, "An Education."
Evan Micheals
Aug 04, 2016 Evan Micheals rated it it was ok
This book briefly describes the process of getting a movie made and hobnobbing with stars once it has done so. Then it is the screen play. I had never read a screen play before, and it was surprisingly undescriptive. Obviously directors have a lot of freedom. This book was obviously an attempt to make a bit more profit from the success of the movie – I am glad I did not pay for it. It was easy to read, as Hornby is a skilled writer, and I like easy.
A.J.B. Johnston
Feb 27, 2013 A.J.B. Johnston rated it it was amazing
I had really liked the film and was interested to go through the screenplay. I found it eye-opening to see how little dialogue there actually is. Hornby's introduction is very funny, and he shares some interesting aspects about the process the idea and story took before it was eventually turned into a film. Very, very quick read, but worth it, if someone liked the film. It includes the script for an alternate ending to the one that ended up in the film.
Jim
Didn't realize it was a screenplay, from a memoir by a different author. But: what fun it must have been for the filmmakers to read Nick Hornby's directions and descriptions. The account of writing and developing a screenplay was great. And it's short: no more than 65 pages or so to frame the whole movie. He tried to avoid it being a "creepy Lolita" and handled an awkward story beautifully. Casting Alfred Molina as the father Jack was a big plus; I heard his voice as I read it.
Kathleen
Oct 13, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I saw the trailer for Education twice (once in the UK and once in the States). Since the film does not open in my area until this Friday, I decided the read the screenplay as the next best thing. The dialog is delicious and the casting seems absolutely perfect so I am very much looking forward to seeing the words play out on the screen.

If the film is not playing in your area, definitely read the screenplay and then wait for the DVD release.
Sy Ferrari
Oct 20, 2010 Sy Ferrari rated it liked it
Selena
Mar 09, 2014 Selena rated it liked it
This was cute, I guess. Based on a memoir, so it really happened. I can't believe her parents.

I liked the explanation of how a screenplay is made and I guess I'd like to see the movie. I like Peter Sarsgaard, Alfred Molina, and Emma Thompson if I feel ambivalent about Carey Mulligan.

I liked other Nick Hornby books I've read more.
Aug 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
A fascinating screenplay about a teenage girl who falls in love with a much older man, including an especially insightful introduction from the author into the process of writing a screenplay and watching it become a movie.
Slow Man
Feb 18, 2012 Slow Man rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
When Jenny, all drenched, was smiling that high school girl smiles at David in his Bristol, a star is born. That scene makes an impression, actually, more like a mark in ones memory of films. The rest of the script is simply lovely and i am delighted to be reading it.
Janna Holm
Aug 29, 2016 Janna Holm rated it liked it
I loved the movie, and I love Nick Hornby, so I had high expectations for this book. I didn't realize this "book" was really just the screenplay though. Still good, and a very quick read, but not what I was expecting.
David Allen
Mar 20, 2013 David Allen rated it liked it
Hornby's screenplay appears identical to the very good movie, without the visuals of course but with a few cute moments in the descriptions. The introduction and Sundance diary, written with the same casual wit as his Believer columns, are a bonus.
Victoria
Jan 13, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it
Wow... this was a great script by Nick Hornby about a much simpler time. 1960s Jenny barely avoids disaster as her HS boyfriend tries to lead her astray. Thank heaven we have moved past a tme where one wrong move could destroy a young woman's future.
  • Almost Famous (Screenplays)
  • Before Sunrise & Before Sunset: Two Screenplays
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Lolita: The Screenplay
  • The Whored's Prayer (Whored, #2)
  • Special Forces - Veterans (Special Forces, #3)
  • Good Will Hunting
  • The Flesh Cartel #18: The Long Road
  • Madame Doubtfire
  • Gasping
  • Pulp Fiction: A Quentin Tarantino Screenplay
  • The Starving Years
  • Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
  • Captivated
  • The Last Good Night (The Last Good Knight, #5)
  • Evenfall: Volume 2: Director's Cut (In the Company of Shadows, #1 part #2)
  • Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama
  • Achilles and the Houseboy (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #3)
Nick Hornby is the author of the novels A Long Way Down, Slam, How to Be Good, High Fidelity, and About a Boy, and the memoir Fever Pitch. He is also the author of Songbook, a finalist for a National Book Critics Circle Award, Shakespeare Wrote for Money, and The Polysyllabic Spree, as well as the editor of the short-story collection Speaking with the Angel. He is a recipient of the American Acade ...more
More about Nick Hornby...