Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning

Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Coach Dan John breaks down the most complicated concepts of strength training and high-performance athletics in his personal, no-nonsense, thought-provoking and motivating style. Workout routines, Olympic lifting guidance, Highland Games, track and field and Strongman events are all covered, in addition to weight training philosophy for the general public. You'll learn...H...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Ontarget Pubns

Jake

Someone once shared with me the piece advice that you should never trust a man with two first names. Dan John is making me reconsider that particular piece of wisdom. Apparently something of a living legend in certain strength and conditioning circles, I only found him after reading a few posts of his on a random internet forum. I subsequently discovered his website, blog, and articles; I liked what I read, so I bought Never Let Go.

The book is a collection of articles, some of which were previou...more
Jeffrey
Not for the novice athlete. Definitely aimed at the seasoned weight lifter. Written in a conversational, straightforward language, John's work is accessible, and reads like a collection of blog posts (which, I believe, it is). The text does not go into any detail at all about performing the lifts (and in literally dozens of places throughout, he has laundry lists of 8-25 different lifts and variations, all without explanation of how to actually perform the lifts). You will definitely get more ou...more
Dane Kalejta
I only pray that one day my kids are coached by someone as wise and brilliant as Dan John. His articles are about life and lifting, some border on spiritual without mentioning anything religious.

Now, not everything in this book is for beginners, but I would fully recommend it to anyone who uses iron as their therapist.
Wendy
This book somewhat betrays its origin as a series of posts from Dan John's blog. There's occasional repetition between chapters, and the emphasis is on short, easily digestible chunks of information rather than long considered discussions.

Having said that, what this means is that you get a lot of short, easily digestible chunks of information from a guy who has years of experience in strength training and teaching strength training. If you want a specific workout program, this is not really the...more
Charles Miske
Overall, an excellent book to read in bits and chunks. That's what you get when you compile blog posts into a book. This isn't bad though, because sometimes life says all you get is bits and chunks of time in which to read.

I think if you can get one snippet of info, or inspiration, from each chapter, then it's well worth the expense. One of my favorite take-aways:

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing every day"

The only reservation I have is that I noticed a lot of "back when I was younger and d...more
Rori Rockman
I've got a bit of a collection of workout books (including some Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mark Rippetoe, Lou Schuler, Randall Strossen, and Alwyn Cosgrove who was mentioned in this book!). This fits right in with the collection, but it doesn't really stand out in any way. Good, sound information, some nice insights, some workouts that I noted down to try in the future (my boyfriend did the one-lift-a-day deadlifts workout, I did one of the five-and-five workouts he recommended). The writer has an e...more
Dan Gale
Stories from a man who has trained in everything that sport has to offer.
David
Great read. This was one of those books that sat on my shelf for a long time. I finally got to reading it and was floored. I'm kicking myself for having taken so long to read it. The book is a grouping of many short texts covering aspects of lifting, training, and sports. The ideas that Dan John has proposed just make sense to me. I kept nodding my head and saying yes over and over as I read this.

It you get an opportunity, you should see him talk in person. Very motivating.
Ali Prendergast
This book is filled with the kind of common sense that's not so common - the kind that comes from years of experience, accomplishments, and mistakes. At first the eclectic writing is a bit odd but it soon becomes entertaining and endearing. It feels as if you're hanging out with your friend's dad, having a good conversation about life lessons. I loved his honesty, candor, and humor.
Jack Visoky
This book is a collection of articles/short chapters written by Dan John. There is some great information in here for anyone interested in strength training. Dan John's down to earth approach makes this book very easy to get through. I found most of the chapters to be solid but a few I thought really stood out as excellent. Overall a great book worth reading
Ramón Pérez
Una serie de posts de blog conjuntados sin mucho orden ni concierto, tratando diferentes temas relacionados con el deporte y un poco de filosofía de vida. No es una mierda porque Dan John es un monstruo en su campo y escribe muy bien, pero no hay un editor y eso daaña la calidad del libro. Podría haber tenido 4 estrellas.
Reese
I love Johnson's philosophy on life. Even for non weight lifters, there's cups of insight, like "when things go wrong, simplify" and "resting is important." sound obvious? This book drills it home...and offers a ton of exercise and lifting program ideas, too. Nothing fancy, nothing miraculous, but consistent, hard work.
Dave
This book is not meant to be read as a book. It's a bunch of blog posts and it's repetitive. That said, it's the first book in a long time that I want to pull some notes from and keep for reference. Dan John lifts way more than I want to, but his keep it simple style makes me want to do better with what I've got.
Becky
A series of blog posts cobbled together as a book--some good inspiration, but I wish it had a better flow.
Craig Cecil
Just finished reading this book. I'm now going back over it again to pick up all the individual tips and techniques. As Dan says, people like stories, and this book has a lot of them woven into lessons and observations. I wish this book would have been available to me years ago.
Alan
Good. My edition was Kindle. No pics, no index, and there's not strong organization to the book, so one finds repetition and some frustration. But the ideas are thought provoking and seem to make sense and author comes across as credible.
Greg
Dan John is a genius! I love reading anything he's ever written. No matter what you need, strength programming, fat loss, inspiration or life balance, you'll find something here. If you work out, read the book.
Ryan H
While there are some good nuggets of information in here, this is just a collection of disorganized blog posts. There is no rhyme or reason. No structure. Often repetitive.
Ari

Inspiring, awesome !!! Dan John breaks down the basics of strength training with clarity and no BS, you'll have nowhere to hide after reading this
Robert
Great book. Found it full of great insights and information. Dan John is a very interesting guy and very thoughtful in his approach to life.
Julien
Accessible, interesting and even fun at some stages, a great book. And most of all, it kept me occupied.
Clark Mains
A pragmatic and straightforward but always inspiring read, loved every page of it!
Patrick
Fantastic book on exercise and achievement in general.
Ike
I enjoy reading this whatever this big galoot writes.
Garry
Dan John talks about life, not just building strength.
Mark
Add some variety to your workout routine and get motivated!
Jack Oughton
Dan John...what a guy.

Write more books pls
Jim
Brilliant.
My strength training bible.
Ed
Jun 19, 2010 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fitness
This book is a collection of articles, but it still held together and inspired me to return to regular exercise. Dan John has an honest, practical, and generous approach to writing about fitness and exercise.
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
  • Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Mystic
  • Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • The Flinch
  • Organize for a Fresh Start: Embrace Your Next Chapter in Life
  • The Warrior Diet
Intervention, Course Corrections for the Athlete and Trainer Mass Made Simple: A Six Week Journey Into Bulking Mass Made Simple Intervention: Course Corrections for the Athlete and Trainer To Grad from Dad

“If it is important, do it every day. If it’s not important, don’t do it at all.” 1 likes
“The problem is yes, everything works. Doing everything at once makes you marginal at everything... at best.” 1 likes