Start by marking “Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali” as Want to Read:
Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali

Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Dating from about the third century A.D., the Yoga Sutra distills the essence of the physical and spiritual discipline of yoga into fewer than two hundred brief aphorisms. It is the core text for any study of meditative practice, revered for centuries for its brilliant analysis of mental states and of the process by which inner liberation is achieved. Yet its difficulties ...more
Published March 2nd 1998 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga

Bri
Apr 10, 2010 Bri rated it it was amazing
I've read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras two times cover to cover. The first time I read it I had been doing yoga for five years and I stopped after reading the book and did not pick up my practice again for two and a half years. The second time I read it I was practicing again and I did not stop my practice. "Yoga" comes from the Sanskrit verb "Yuj." Sanskrit being the Mama of Indo-European/Indo-Iranian languages gives us a cognate of the word in our own language "yoke." Indeed, that is what the pract ...more
Dennis Littrell
Apr 24, 2010 Dennis Littrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Miller, Barbara Stoler. Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali (1995) ****
Excellent for a first reading

The main strength of this book is in the late Professor Miller's Introduction which is lucid and insightful in identifying and placing Patanjali's Yoga Sutras for the general reader. The weakness is in Miller's use of certain non-yogic and sometimes misleading terms in her translation, usage which stems from her position as an academic of yoga and not a practitioner
Aug 25, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: yoga
Very hard book to get through. Ancient and allusive, has been debated for a loooong time, but still a yoga must-read. I enjoyed the translator's discussion of the rationale behind the yamas & niyamas. The more I learn of yogic philosophy, the more it reaffirms my own faith in my own beliefs in a very positive & complimentary way.
Kelsey
Jul 20, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert. I think this last line of Yoga Discipline of Freedom really sums up the point to the yoga sutras.

"In a real sense Patanjali has established what it means in terms of yoga for one's spirit to achieve its true identity as observer to the world - a witness rather than a suffering participant in a world of ceaseless volatile change." -Patanjali, Yoga, Discipline of Freedom.

Sara
Feb 08, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I had to read this for my World's Religions class. having taken a yoga class I did find this text interesting. But at the same time it was hard for me to keep awake reading this, ans I feel like that had to do with Miller's commentary - it was a bit dense.

All in all, though, this was a quick, interesting read.
Jess Moss
Aug 12, 2014 Jess Moss rated it it was ok
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I practiced yoga. As it is, I basically speed-read the book so I could count it as "read" before selling it back to the bookstore. I would have probably gotten more out of it had I taken my time.
Kara
This is the first book I have read of the Yoga Sutra. Although I have attended countless yoga classes and have a nice little yoga home video library, it was nice to read what this phenomenon called yoga is primarily aimed to achieve. I knew it had more to do with posture and breathing, those are just a means to an end in enlightenment, and that each asana involves not only the physically body but the mental and spiritual as well. It is the acknowledgement of spirit playing a central part in yoga ...more
Zack
Apr 07, 2016 Zack rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I read this for a class.
This is a decent translation with a good format, but the content just isn't my thing, honestly.
Arthur Rosenfeld
Oct 28, 2015 Arthur Rosenfeld rated it it was amazing
I'm a tai chi person, not a yoga person, but I admire the passion of this classic.
Beth
Mar 11, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
Easily my favorite translation of the yoga sutras.
Alexis
Sep 20, 2007 Alexis rated it it was amazing
excellent translation and very useful notes on each line. plus some great stories about the powers of adept yogis. there is one mention of the word "atom" which i really wish had been explained in some footnote - i can't imagine there was a word for the basic molecular building block in sanscrit. but patanjali does seem to know everything, so maybe i'm wrong there. nice commentary on yoga's similarities and variations on ancient buddhist doctrine that was being developed at the same time. it's s ...more
Thomas
Apr 24, 2008 Thomas rated it it was ok
I struggled with this short summary of the Sutras. I think Miller did little to identify Classical Yoga's philosophy and method in the context of the greater conversation of yoga (about this particular text). My opinion is that the recitation of this Sutra is most useful for inspiring faith within the practitioner, and considering the brevity of Disciplineand emphasis on Miller's translation (rather than commentary) this text could be used for just that. -1 for no original Sanskrit.
Thomas
Nov 05, 2008 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: eastern-classics
A clear and concise translation with just enough commentary to flesh out the short but often obscure aphorisms. It's not a technical or academic treatment, but the commentary serves as a good jumping off point if you want to get into the deeper philosophical stuff. If you've already read the Sankhya karikas and are looking for a more rigorous connection with the Yoga Sutra you'll have to turn elsewhere. Miller's translation is an excellent way to get started though.
Feb 10, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Miller's introduction and commentary are very helpful - although I obviously can't comment on the quality of the translation, her explanation of the nuances and polyvalence of particular terms and their possible translations is very thorough and interesting. A great way into understanding Patanjali's text.
Jennifer Christensen
Dec 05, 2008 Jennifer Christensen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yoga/meditation practitioners
Recommended to Jennifer by: required reading for yoga teacher training
Shelves: yoga
This translation is so much more accessible than some of the myriad of translations out there. I browsed several different copies in the used bookstore and no two translations were the same. Each translator puts their own spin on Patanjali's spartan sanskrit. This one resonated with me.
Jenny
Jan 25, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga, spiritual
I enjoyed the introduction and commentary given by Miller. A great book that has a lot to offer those who study it.
Stacy Lynn
Mar 27, 2013 Stacy Lynn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the concepts introduced, and I learned a lot in the process. Great book!
Arthur Brady
Sep 25, 2009 Arthur Brady rated it liked it
boy, am i glad this wasn't my first intro to the sutras.
Laura is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Evan Craig
Evan Craig rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Tamas
Tamas rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Geise Pouchain
Geise Pouchain marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Melissa Rodriguez
Melissa Rodriguez is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Kendra Deshong
Kendra Deshong marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jeremy Pagan
Jeremy Pagan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Brandi Johnson
Brandi Johnson rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2016
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Micah
Micah rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
House
House added it
Mar 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali
  • The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Awakening the Spine
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga
  • Yoga
  • Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide

“For one whose thought is tranquil, mastery extends from the most minute particle to the vast expanse. -Patanjali” 0 likes