Start by marking “The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns” as Want to Read:
The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

In the tradition of the bestselling The Cloister Walk, Whitney's narrative of her personal journey inside a Dominican community is a moving and revealing portrait of a contemporary religious order.
Published February 22nd 2000 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about The Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling

Cat.
Jun 23, 2013 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author went to Catholic high school in the early 60s, a time of dramatic change in the Catholic Church. Her teachers were all nuns, and she contemplated taking vows as a nun herself. When the Mother Prioress suggested she take some time to be sure she was called to that vocation she was so crushed she effectively left the church in her past.

About three decades later, she was asked to write about nuns by her publisher and headed back to the Seattle area to re-immerse herself in the life of th
Booklover
It look me forever to finish this book. I would not say it's a compelling read, and in 2015 it is definitely a bit dated.

Part-autobiography, part-journalist vignettes, it just didn't keep my attention. I got through the majority of this title, after I first checked it out in August of last year; with one or two renewals. Today, I decided it was finally time to put it to bed and finish it. I skimmed sections to refresh my recollection, so I could try to write a semi-coherent review.

There is lit
Willa Grant
This book was not what I expected. It is so much of the author's personal life journey & yet she captures the feeling & reality of having a calling to be a religious. I was happy to have read this book, though it certainly did not answer the questions I had or give an exclusive look into the question of a calling.
Pam Frost Gorder
Feb 17, 2013 Pam Frost Gorder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nuns
The author, who herself considered becoming a nun in her early years of a Catholic education, gives an inside look at what it means to be nun today, and how that meaning has evolved over the last few decades.
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People who know me well will laugh at this: I've always kind of wanted to be a nun. It's a very attractive lifestyle. Unfortunately, Lutherans don't have nuns, and I'm not about to change my religion just to get a rosary. This is a fascinating look into the lives of modern day nuns.
Hope McCormick
Apr 20, 2013 Hope McCormick rated it liked it
It was interesting, but it wasn't what I expected.
Cindy
Mar 18, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like it. What calls them to this life? Great spiritual insight
Janice Putt
Janice Putt rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2009
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Ladytal
Ladytal rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Alice_wonderworld
Alice_wonderworld rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2011
Elizabeth Schurman
Elizabeth Schurman rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Judithosc
Judithosc rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
elizabeth wieners
elizabeth wieners rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2017
tx
tx rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Sandy lewis
Jun 19, 2015 Sandy lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very inspiring to read. Has anyone else read this book before?
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Em
Em rated it liked it
May 27, 2009
Lisa of Hopewell
Lisa of Hopewell rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2011
BonnieL
BonnieL rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2010