Start by marking “The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns” as Want to Read:
The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

The Calling: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the tradition of the bestselling The Cloister Walk, Whitney's narrative of her personal journey inside a Dominican community is a moving and revealing portrait of a contemporary religious order.
Published February 22nd 2000 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about The Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling

Booklover
It look me forever to finish this book. I would not say it's a compelling read, and in 2015 it is definitely a bit dated.

Part-autobiography, part-journalist vignettes, it just didn't keep my attention. I got through the majority of this title, after I first checked it out in August of last year; with one or two renewals. Today, I decided it was finally time to put it to bed and finish it. I skimmed sections to refresh my recollection, so I could try to write a semi-coherent review.

There is lit
Cat.
The author went to Catholic high school in the early 60s, a time of dramatic change in the Catholic Church. Her teachers were all nuns, and she contemplated taking vows as a nun herself. When the Mother Prioress suggested she take some time to be sure she was called to that vocation she was so crushed she effectively left the church in her past.

About three decades later, she was asked to write about nuns by her publisher and headed back to the Seattle area to re-immerse herself in the life of th
Sandy lewis
This book was very inspiring to read. Has anyone else read this book before?
Willa Grant
This book was not what I expected. It is so much of the author's personal life journey & yet she captures the feeling & reality of having a calling to be a religious. I was happy to have read this book, though it certainly did not answer the questions I had or give an exclusive look into the question of a calling.
Amy
People who know me well will laugh at this: I've always kind of wanted to be a nun. It's a very attractive lifestyle. Unfortunately, Lutherans don't have nuns, and I'm not about to change my religion just to get a rosary. This is a fascinating look into the lives of modern day nuns.
Pam Frost Gorder
The author, who herself considered becoming a nun in her early years of a Catholic education, gives an inside look at what it means to be nun today, and how that meaning has evolved over the last few decades.
Cindy
I like it. What calls them to this life? Great spiritual insight
Hope McCormick
It was interesting, but it wasn't what I expected.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Jamie is
Jamie is marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 15, 2014
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Nicky Weirbach
Nicky Weirbach marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Kaitlin Morse
Kaitlin Morse marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Lyssa
Lyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Laura O
Laura O marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Daisy
Daisy added it
Feb 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Women of Windsor: Their Power, Privilege, and Passions Diet Sehat Golongan Darah B Soldiers Once: My Brother and the Lost Dreams of America's Veterans Diet Sehat Golongan Darah AB The Women of Windsor