Start by marking “Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind” as Want to Read:
Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind

Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This guide shows that great design is all about individual passion and an open mind. It instructs the reader on the best way to make their home look stylish without breaking the bank and illustrates how a little thought and effort can transform an impersonal house into a home.
Published May 4th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind

Anna
Apr 14, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Excellent writer--wouldn't matter the subject matter. I happen to be fascinated by interior design. This book provides you with good basic design principles along with fascinating tips. While guiding you to understand your own taste, the author helps you recognize good taste. Best of all, he gives you permission to do whatever you want as long as you have a good reason.
Christy
Jan 19, 2010 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: home
I love an approach to decorating and design that isn't "buy all new stuff!" or completely devoted to minimalism. I doubt anyone can truly teach good style, but Pasanella's take on simplicity and personal needs, desires, and tastes is an inspiring read.
Erika RS
May 13, 2013 Erika RS rated it really liked it
Pasanella's goal is to describe the tools you need to make a home stylish and livable. Combine this with some practical instruction, and you get a book that is unique among the books I have read about house and home.

Part one an overview of concepts. The most important concept is gathering and retreat.
Whether you live in a mansion or in a studio, in Boston or in Bali, there are only two types of rooms: those that bring us together (gathering places) and those that allow us to get away (retreats)
Timothy Stobbs
Jul 22, 2016 Timothy Stobbs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Likely one of the best basic books on design I have ever read. It lacks specifics but instead teaches you the big picture on how to do your own interior design.
Corey Friedrich
Sep 05, 2012 Corey Friedrich rated it it was amazing
This is the best decorating book ever! Not a lot of pretty pictures to inspire you, just an overview of good design techniques to make a room pop. Usually I bring home decorating books from the library to be inspired by the photos and don't really read the text, but this one was so good that I bought a copy for myself.
Kathy
Mar 04, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
A great basic book on home design. Has some general principles that are easy to follow and get the reader to rethink the idea of home. I love it that the author's advice is that if you find yourself going out to buy a lot of things, something is wrong. It's about using the things you have in a new way.
Evelyn
Nov 06, 2011 Evelyn rated it liked it
Some very nice pictures. It was also good to see examples of what not to do. Advice summary: follow what you like, keep it simple, a house is meant for habitation.

Best pages: 27, 44-45, 60, 121
GILLIAN
GILLIAN rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Khyati Rathod
Khyati Rathod marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Emily Grandstaff-Rice
Emily Grandstaff-Rice marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
natalie
natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Marlis
Marlis marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Leslie Godwin
Leslie Godwin rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Oliver
Oliver rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Julie.
Julie. rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Mikhaela
Mikhaela rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Kelaine
Kelaine rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Kz
Kz marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Marc
Marc added it
May 05, 2012
Desiree
Desiree rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012