Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind

Living in Style Without Losing Your Mind

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Flip through the pages of any design publication and you can't help but wonder: So beautiful, so spacious, so perfect...but is anyone actually living there? We may want our houses to look like magazine spreads, but to do that can require a mountain of money and a staff of hundreds, the dexterity of Michelangelo, and a backhoe. Most of the time, great design has to be acces...more
Published May 4th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

Anna
Excellent writer--wouldn't matter the subject matter. I happen to be fascinated by interior design. This book provides you with good basic design principles along with fascinating tips. While guiding you to understand your own taste, the author helps you recognize good taste. Best of all, he gives you permission to do whatever you want as long as you have a good reason.
Christy
I love an approach to decorating and design that isn't "buy all new stuff!" or completely devoted to minimalism. I doubt anyone can truly teach good style, but Pasanella's take on simplicity and personal needs, desires, and tastes is an inspiring read.
Erika RS
Pasanella's goal is to describe the tools you need to make a home stylish and livable. Combine this with some practical instruction, and you get a book that is unique among the books I have read about house and home.

Part one an overview of concepts. The most important concept is gathering and retreat.
Whether you live in a mansion or in a studio, in Boston or in Bali, there are only two types of rooms: those that bring us together (gathering places) and those that allow us to get away (retreats)
Corey Friedrich
This is the best decorating book ever! Not a lot of pretty pictures to inspire you, just an overview of good design techniques to make a room pop. Usually I bring home decorating books from the library to be inspired by the photos and don't really read the text, but this one was so good that I bought a copy for myself.
Kathy
A great basic book on home design. Has some general principles that are easy to follow and get the reader to rethink the idea of home. I love it that the author's advice is that if you find yourself going out to buy a lot of things, something is wrong. It's about using the things you have in a new way.
Evelyn
Some very nice pictures. It was also good to see examples of what not to do. Advice summary: follow what you like, keep it simple, a house is meant for habitation.

Best pages: 27, 44-45, 60, 121
natalie
natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Marlis
Marlis marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Kz
Kz marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Marc
Marc added it
May 05, 2012
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2011
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2011
Chantill
Chantill marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2011
Lorraine Haataia
Lorraine Haataia marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2011