Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1)

Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,603 ratings  ·  192 reviews
The bold and passionate Lucan MacLeod--one of three brothers cursed by dark magic for eternity--is driven by desire for the one woman he dare not let himself possess...

He is magnificently strong--and dangerously seductive. One of the fiercest of his clan, Lucan MacLeod is a legend among warriors, inspiring fear in man and woman alike. For three hundred years, he has locked...more
Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published December 23rd 2009)

Sans
This could have been awesome. I mean, there were cursed Highland warriors, possessed by ancient gods that had been sealed in the depths of Hell. That should be epic, right? Yeah, not so much.

The short of the story is: Highlanders want the Roman armies to leave their lands. There are good and bad druids. The bad druids call up ancient gods who have been banished to Hell to possess the strongest warriors and fight off the Romans. But the gods don't want to stop fighting and turn on each other. So...more
MelissaB
Jan 27, 2010 MelissaB rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to MelissaB by: Kathleen Young
Dangerous Highlander is the first book in the new Dark Sword series about immortal Highland warriors who are possessed by ancient gods. I enjoyed this first entry into the series, except for a few parts that could have been better, but overall I think there is a lot of potential for interesting stories with warriors who were introduced in this first book.

Cara grew up an orphan in the Scottish Highlands after both her parents were killed when she was five. She has decided to join the nunnery wher...more
Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
Mar 16, 2010 Laurie (Bitten by Romance) rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who likes paranormal
This is my first book by Donna Grant I have read, I really enjoyed it, It has lots of romance, passion and dangerous immortal warrior’s that has a different God with in each warrior. The book really pulled me in to the Druid story line, it was fresh and didn’t drag.

**Spoilers below**

Cara is alone in the world her parents was killed when she was very young, a nuns find her and talks her in she lives in a nunnery by the MacLoeod Castle. Cara has heard tails of the warriors but doesn’t believe th...more
Vilda
'"You know as well as I that Lucan holds us together."
"Then when the time comes, we'll be the ones that hold him together."'

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up Dangerous Highlander, but I ended up really enjoying it! It had a very interesting story-line with the ancient gods and Druids involved, as well as some very lovable characters! I fell in love with the brothers and Cara very quickly and loved the little family they made--even if they were in a pretty bad situation.

While it was...more
♡Karlyn P♡
2.5 stars. Liked it, but didn't love it. A great premise for a story, but at times I felt like I was reading a comic book as the narration and dialog felt over-done. I also got tired of being told on every other page how hot they are for each other. It interupted the flow of the story at times. Not sure if I'll continue with the series.
Kathleen
Well, I must say I REALLY liked this book and look forwards to the next in this series. The story was very interesting yet it was a simple read. I enjoyed all the paranormal elements too. The romance was really good and the love scenes were well done. The ending was also well done and left me wanting more, I'm glad that this is going to be a series.
Laura the Highland Hussy
I loved this. The ending is perfect for the setup of the next book and I look forward to reading Forbidden Highlander
Barbara ★
Absolutely spectacular! The three warriors of Clan MacLeod (Fallon, Lucan, Quinn) have been captured by Deirdre and the evil God of revenge forced inside them. This is Lucan's story. The brothers have escaped and spent the last 300 years hiding from the evil druid Deirdre in an effort to survive. They haven't really lived in all this time as they were just hiding inside their castle and haven't come out in over 300 years. Can you imagine?

When Cara stumbles upon the cliffs by MacLeod castle, with...more
Jamieson
Generally, historical and paranormal romance don’t mix.

They are two separate genre’s that don’t get along with each other very well. When I’ve read historical paranormal romance before, one of the two elements falls flat. Either the historical setting takes a background to the paranormal story. Or the paranormal part of the story is overshadowed by the setting.

Either way, it is normally a genre that doesn’t work very well.

So imagine my surprise when I picked up Dangerous Highlander by Donna Gran...more
Vivisection
I'm not saying this book was boring.

Hero: My boner burns for this woman like no other but I'm a monster, no one could love me.
Heroine: I can love you.
Hero: NO I'm a monster doomed to live alone but my boner for you will never die.
Heroine: I love monsters.
Hero: NO! I must take care of everything because I am a nurturing, sensitive alpha male living in 17th century Scotland. My boner and I will suffer alone for centuries.
Heroine: Lucan, you're dreamy let me make you dinner.

Seriously. The hand wr...more
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Apr 25, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: favorites
Nothing about this book I disliked!!! From the very beginning I was hooked to this book! I fell in love with every character and their personalities!!! I love discovering new authors and I am so happy I came across another series to add to my pile of books! The romance scenes in this book were perfect! It has action/love/Romance/mystery which is just about everything I look for in a book! A must read!
Lisa Jones
Love this entire series! Love the Highlanders with a touch of paranormal.
Kaleigha
Probably actually a high 3.5, just to be annoying.

I hadn't heard heard of this author before I stumbled upon this book, but it was a pleasant find. In Dangerous Highlander, Donna Grant takes us back to the Scottish Highlands of the past, and tells us the story of Lucan MacLeod. Lucan and his brothers carry within them unbound Gods called up from hell by the Druids centuries ago. While these Gods make them the ultimate warriors, they also make them dangerous men...and valuable weapons to be captu...more
Wendy
DANGEROUS HIGHLANDER by Donna Grant is one of those books that you can't help but love. I completely fell in love with the characters, the setting, the story, all of it. The story is with me now and it's been a while since I read it. I'm so eager for book two FORBIDDEN HIGHLANDER.

I'm not sure if I can say why it's such a great read, the hero,Lucan, is hot, sexy, strong, deeply hurt, and will have you begging for your own Dangerous Highlander! Cara, the heroine is strong, and in some ways fragil...more
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Third attempt *fingers crossed*
This is my first excursion into the works of Donna Grant. It was indeed a privilege. Dangerous Highlander is the premier book of the Dark Sword series. The series chronicles the stories of a group of fierce highlanders who have had ancient celtic gods bound to them by an evil druid sect called the Drough. The MacLeod brothers, Fallon, Lucan, and Quinn are three such warriors. The brothers have isolated themselves from Scotland for 300 years. In the castle ruins of...more
MsRomanticReads

This was my first book by Donna Grant, and I can't believe it took me this long to discover her amazing series. I love the paranormal aspect mixed in with scorching hot Highlanders. The background story of the MacLeod brothers sucked me right in. Not since Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers series have I feared a female villain this much. This first book promises a great ride into the world of Scotland steeped in mysticism, its Highlanders and a lot of magic.

Since witnessing the death of her parent...more
Zeek
I like paranormal romance- i used to like hist-rom alot- this should've been an easy A... It was not.

A big bad druidess is after the herione because she holds a special magic that said Baddie wants to get ger hands on. Of course, Cara, the heroine has no idea who or what she is- and neither do we fully, for that matter, even at the end of the story. But the three MacCloud brothers, who rescue her before her village is massacred, have a clue. ( A tiny one, but a clue known the less. )

Now, determi...more
Adria (Romance Reviews)
Jun 22, 2012 Adria (Romance Reviews) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Adria (Romance Reviews) by: Visionary
Originally posted in Breath of Life Reviews

I really wanted to like this book, truly I did, but alas I didn't like it... I loved it! I have read only about a handful of romance novels with Highlanders as lead characters and I didn't really care for them, the accents may have been a bit too strong to deal with or the story was just too weak.

That's not a problem for Donna Grant apparently. Dangerous Highlander, the first of the Dark Sword series is a mixture of paranormal and fantasy that doesn't o...more
Dianne

Dangerous Highlander: A Dark Sword Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99
107 used & new from $5.67

Excuse Me?

This review is from: Dangerous Highlander: A Dark Sword Novel (Kindle Edition)
After finishing one of Ms. Grants other trilogies which spoke of the MacLeod brothers, I decided I must read about these guys. I should have paid more attention to the reviews.

This book starts in 1603 in the West Highlands of Scotland and Cara is out picking mushrooms. And thinking of the deserted castle wh...more
jD
Sometimes no matter how extensive the menu (to-read list), you just want a burger and fries (Highlanders!). Just as sure as most restaurants can pull off a decent burger, most romance authors that write these rough and tumbling historical figures do it with some level of competence. All I really needed was a kilt, heavy brogue, and some supernatural element along with a happy ending. What did I get? Only got one of three, but I still loved it. No kilts. No brogue other than an ‘aye’ and ‘donna’...more
Visionary
Dangerous Highlander is Donna Grant’s introduction novel in her Dark Sword series.

The premise about druids being in the book/story was the ultimate decision for me picking up this book and reading it. Highlanders close second. For a person who has been fascinating and obsessed with druids (fifteen years) I was lured to the story, curious to see Donna’s take on them. And I will admit the twist she took with the druids met with approval (from me).

She’s also melded beautifully paranormal elemen...more
Donna (BLHmistress)
I have been wanting to read this series for awhile now, I have seen many good reviews and they have been on my wishlist/TBR for what seems like forever. I finally bought this one out of whim one day. Not sure why hot cover, story called to me but I am sure glad I did. My only regret is that I didn't start or buy this book sooner.

This book combines both of my favorite genres in one, paranormal historical. I was certainly surprised just how fast I read this book, I read this book in one day- I jus...more
Pansy
This series seems to be very familiar to the LOTU. I still enjoyed it. The story takes place in the magestic Highlands and three warrior brothers live in a castle hidden from the towns people. Several years ago their entire family was murdered. The three sons that were left have the souls of demons inside. Lucan MacCleod is one of the fiercest warriors in the highlands and is able to control the demon that lives inside of him. When he meets Cara, he is unable to control the passionate feelings h...more
Grace
I really wanted to like this book but I found it extremely disappointing. One of the things that annoys me most in a book is contradictions in the story line and this made a big mistake early on and it annoyed me all the way through. The plot had more holes than a teabag.

I couldn't warm to any of the characters, the leads of Lurcan and Cara were particularly irritating. The general story itself while not original was vaguely promising but it just didn't hold together.

The story was inconsistent...more
Elaine Mcdonald
2.5. I was disappointed in this book. I don't like a book that leaves you hanging with unresolved issues. I liked the other books I have read by this author. Unfortunately, I am not interested enough to pick up the rest of the series. The book had possibilities but didn't quite make it for me. I agree with another reviewer here that the H was more excited about having sex again than in a relationship with the h. I hate it when an author writes a book then divides it into three books, not really...more
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
WOW! What a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait for the 2nd in the series to come out.

The book conrains all that a girl could want:
Sexy Higlanders. Check
Demons, CHeck
Druids & Magic, Check
Hot Steamy romance, Check
Adventure and battles with said sexy highlanders!, Check.

Really, I love the story of the 3 MacLeod brothers. The relationship between them and how they came to be immortal and alive for the last 300 years. The secrets they hold and the truth of the destruction o...more
Carolyn
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next stories about the three brothers. If you like your Highlanders with a bit of magic and paranormal twist, you will enjoy this series. Lots of sizzle too!

I just finished my first re-read of this book so I can start the entire series. I found I enjoyed it even more the second time around. :)
Pamela(AllHoney)
Fairly easy read. Not bad. I'm not a big fan of the paranormal genre so others who are may enjoy it more than I did. It's one of those series novels that continue the story in the next book so there were unresolved issues that bugged me a little. Nevertheless, I will continue the series just to see the resolution.
Felicia (Ferishia)
Rachel
If I weren’t fully literate and also if I were elderly, I might have somewhat enjoyed this book.

I really hate writing one-star reviews. It makes me feel like I’m punching someone in the face or like maybe I should lay low for a little while. But Dangerous Highlander, you’ve got it coming. I am just…incredulous. Like, how? How does this have a four-star rating on Goodreads and why does it appear on ‘Best Paranormal Romance’ lists and how are there 6+ books in the series and why are people readin...more
Dark Warrior series 2 17 Jul 16, 2013 08:03AM
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • Highland Warrior (Campbell Trilogy, #1)
  • Captured by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #1)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie, #1)
  • The Guardian (Return of the Highlanders #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
Donna Grant is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than forty novels and novellas spanning multiple genres of romance.

She was born and raised in Texas but loves to travel. Her adventures have taken her throughout the United States as well as to Jamaica, Mexico, and Scotland. Growing up on the Texas/Louisiana border, Donna’s Cajun side of the family taught her the “spicy” si...more
More about Donna Grant...
Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2) Wicked Highlander (Dark Sword, #3) Untamed Highlander (Dark Sword, #4) Dark Craving (Dark Kings, #0.1) Midnight's Master (Dark Warriors, #1)