Start by marking “آشنایی با دکارت” as Want to Read:
آشنایی با دکارت

آشنایی با دکارت (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In Descartes in 90 Minutes, Paul Strathern offers a concise, expert account of Descartes's life and ideas, and explains their influence on man's struggle to understand his existence in the world. The book also includes selections from Descartes's work; a brief list of suggested reading for those who wish to push further; and chronologies that place Descartes within his own ...more
Published 1999 by نشر مرکز (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about آشنایی با دکارت, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about آشنایی با دکارت

Mark Valentine
After finishing this brief bio and introduction to Descartes I thought to myself: Why don't I just read him direct. Well.

Descartes' bumper-sticker dictum, "I think, therefore I am," seems superficial to me; it seems that he quits too early. Consciousness should not be assumed to mean identity and selfhood. Consider reading. Reading letters and words as decoding is preliminary thinking but for comprehension and understanding it comes short. Comprehension in reading arrives when the reading consci
Beth E
Wonderful discussion on this French thinker who developed the Cartesian Method of logical thinking among many other aspects of the developing science of optics, astronomy and mathematics. He walked the careful line of new thought versus the established thought backed by the Church; always careful of publishing treatis that could be accused of heresy. Probably his most famous tenet... "I think, therefore I am".

Jimmy
Informative, but gimmicky, Strathern offers brief summaries of major philosophers. An equal amount of biographical background, and explanation of the particular philosophers' system of thought. Hardly, enough information. Especially, for someone like Kant or Hegel, but then again it's literally easy to finish one of any title in this series in about under an hour.
Bonny
"Good sense is the most evenly distributed commodity in the world, for each of us considers himself to be so well endowed therewith that even those who are the most difficult to please in all other matters are not wont to desire more of it than they have. It is not likely that anyone is mistaken about this fact. Rather, it provides evidence that the power of judging rightly and of distinguishing the true from the false (which, properly speaking, is what people call good sense) is naturally equal ...more
Benan
Sep 14, 2014 Benan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anlaması çok da kolay olmayan bir filozofun eserlerini okumak için cesaretlendirici bir tanıtım kitabı bence. Yazarın kullandığı sade ama nükteli dil özellikle dikkat çekiyor. Bu nüktedan yazarın diğer tanıtım kitaplarını da merak ettim. Bence herhangi bir filozof tarafından yazılmış bir eseri doğrudan okumadan önce bu yazarın tanıtım serisinden faydalanmak iyi bir fikir. Çünkü, yazar, örneğin bu kitabında, Descartes’in felsefesini sade bir şekilde özetlemekle kalmıyor, filozofa ait eserlerin de ...more
William Watkins
As with 'Hume in 90 minutes', I did not feel I learnt a great deal from this book. I felt it was too much about the philosopher's life than works and the gossip/OK magazine feel was not very pleasing to read. I would also prefer it if it were more informative rather than including the author's own opinion as it isn't needed for a book such as this.
Rizwan
Apr 16, 2016 Rizwan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better ones I have come across in this series. Focuses on Descartes's impact on Western philosophy and his achievements in the field of astronomy, thinking, science, reasoning and geometry.

Pooya Kiani
Sep 12, 2014 Pooya Kiani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
خيلي خوب نبود. تقدس زدايي خوبي داشت اما تاثيرگذاريش رو خوب بررسي نكرده بود.
Lady Moustache
Feb 16, 2016 Lady Moustache rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una buena forma de estudiar filosofía sin ser consciente de ello.
Mark Reynolds
Dec 21, 2015 Mark Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice introduction to Descartes, even if it is superficial. But Strathern writes in an entertaining style.
Landis
Worth while for what it is: an introductory lecture on Descartes.
HoseinAli
May 28, 2015 HoseinAli rated it it was amazing
مختصر و مفید
حتما بخوانید
M Pereira
This is an okay book. It sufficiently mixes biography with philosophy. The details in Descartes' biography are pretty decent, and not the usual story of Descartes' life. I dont mind that its light on the cartesian philosophy, as some of it involves lots of mathematics and metaphysics, for an introductory book I cannot complain. It does not make an exceptional read compared to the edition on Hegel or Nietzsche
Carlos Burga
Although aimed at young audience, Strahtern's collection of "Philosophy in 90 Minutes" is a great resource for those of us who have been intimidated by the centuries of discussions around these ideas. Strathern manages to introduce the reader to the ideas espoused by these people without being too verbose or pedantic to the reader.
Billy Sheppard
Dec 04, 2015 Billy Sheppard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Strathern delivers a pithy summary of the important dates and details, along with anecdotes and historical context, a timeline, and more. Great series, especially taken together as a long book of great thought and biography.
Kelly
Sep 21, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, but very brief (90 mins is not much time to summarize someone's life) overview of Decartes. It refreshed somethings I'd learned and forgot, and then gave me some new information too.
Kobayashi Ernaut
3.5.

Una lectura ligera -si te gusta Descartes- y un libro bien organizado. No obstante, habría explicado algo más sobre su filosofía más que de su vida.
Dave
Apr 05, 2009 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
I picked this short book up to supplement my reading of Shorto's book, Descartes' Bones. A quick read that affords an overview of Descartes' life and time.
Russ
Apr 16, 2016 Russ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
While very witty, and I was entertained, the book was more about Descartes life than it was about his thought.
Bogdan Liviu
"What did you think?"
I did not think therefore I was not impressed.
Useful, though.
Mckinley
Cogito ergo sum

"seldom express decision for more good sense/reason"
Bob Mcinnis
Jul 17, 2013 Bob Mcinnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great refresher from freshman philosophy. Clear and concise.
Gail
Apr 19, 2008 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Cogito ergo sum -- what else is there to say?
Jose
May 03, 2010 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great audio. descartes was brilliant.
Reg
Jan 18, 2011 Reg marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just started.
Aharon Dagan
Aharon Dagan rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Mehrdād
Mehrdād marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Tessa Gokce
Tessa Gokce is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
  • Heretics / Orthodoxy: Nelson's Royal Classics
  • A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy
  • Search for a Method
  • Minds, Brains and Science
  • Statism and Anarchy (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Écrits: A Selection
  • Religion within the Limits of Reason Alone
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics
  • The New Atlantis
  • The Spectacle of the Scaffold
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume
More about Paul Strathern...

Philosophers in 90 Minutes (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Aristotle in 90 Minutes
  • Berkeley in 90 Minutes
  • Bertrand Russell in 90 Minutes  (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)
  • Confucius in 90 Minutes