Start by marking “EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
EMT: Beyond the Lights...

Pat Ivey

EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens

"It bears witness to a nobility of spirit that exists in special communities."

ROANOKE TIMES & WORLD NEWS

Emergency Medical Technician Pat Ivey takes you inside the ambulance and on the road to share in the hope and compassion, tears and laughter, of volunteer rescue squad personnel. You'll experience the rush of adrenaline and the pain of loss. You'll go beyond the ligh

Published February 1st 1990 by Diamond Books (NY) (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about EMT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EMT

Jaci
May 25, 2015 Jaci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and touching

This book was very well written and kept my interest throughout. Pat Ivey tells the story of her life as an EMT with compassion and discretion. If you are looking for a gorefest of graphic descriptions, this is not the book for you. Rather it is the story of the emotions that drive one rural EMT to join, stay with, and progress in a volunteer country ambulance squad. It was a very personal and compelling read.
Heidi
Jun 20, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With compassion and insight, Pat Ivey tells of her experiences as a volunteer EMT in rural Virginia, from what first compelled her to join the local rescue squad to being one of the most experienced members on the team. Any emergency services volunteer could probably relate to some of the stories Pat has to tell, and to the many different emotions associated with the job. I found Pat’s narrative engaging and interesting, and it validated many of my own experiences.
Lynn
Sep 16, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It

This book brought back so many wonderful memories of the time I spent on a rescue squad. The losses hurt but the saves make them bearable. Thanks Pal Ivey for the reminder of an important time in my life and thank you for your service. This book is the real deal. Highly recommended.
Dick Gullickson
Feb 07, 2014 Dick Gullickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of the Lake of the Woods (volunteer) Rescue Squad written by one of the pioneers. An accurate description of the stress caused by patients who die, long hours away from family, working nights, and running with career (paid) staff members from various jurisdictions. Great to read if you want to know what it is like to “run” on the rescue squad.
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
An interesting, light read despite the subject matter. Although we knew it was dated by her daughter's age and the gift of twin cabbage patch kids, it didn't hit me how old this was until they referenced AIDS as "new" that discussed having to start wearing gloves. It turned out this was a 2014 reprint of a 1990 title. No matter, the human interest stories were still relevant
Ed
This is one my favorite books of all time. It is unfortunate that more EMTs are not like Pat and it has become de rigeur to be "the burn out medic." However, Pat encapsulates what I aspire to be as an EMT: competant, easy-going, caring and sincere.
cheryl davis
Sep 24, 2015 cheryl davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I enjoy reading real life books of this kind. The author did not use a lot of the medical terms so it easy for every one to read it.
 Sara
Dec 31, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
A very readable and accurate view of a rural volunteer rescue squad in the 1980s.
Darrell Craig
Oct 01, 2015 Darrell Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative book on the things Emt's go through on a given day.

I chose this rating because it was very well written but I had trouble staying with it all the way through.
Edward Sipel
Oct 12, 2009 Edward Sipel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome so far
Chris
Feb 21, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this quite a few years ago, but I remember it as being written with good detail and passion for the job
Misti Ross
Misti Ross rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Tera
Tera rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Saltymedic
Saltymedic rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Becca Richardson
Becca Richardson rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Karen Newton
Karen Newton rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Kdmcnurse
Kdmcnurse rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Suzen
Suzen rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2009
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Mike H
Mike H rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Dixie
Dixie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
The other Sandy
The other Sandy rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Bonnie C Purvis
Bonnie C Purvis rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Moriah Bertelli
Moriah Bertelli rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
shadyKD
shadyKD rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Bad_Squirrel
Bad_Squirrel rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012