Start by marking “The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Upper East Side metrosexual may be good at cocktail chat, but a real man knows how to fight off alligators, create a tourniquet out of a t-shirt, and rescue a drowning person. Frank Miniter's The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide shows men how to do all of these and more, including:
* how to fight off a bear
* how to set a dislocated joint
* how to pick the perfect cigar and
Published April 14th 2009 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide

What I learned? How to tie a tourniquet and set a dislocated shoulder. But all that survival junk was kind of boring to me. The best parts of this were the philosophy sections. What does it mean to be a man in Western European culture? In Eastern culture? What books are books every man should read?

Fun and entertaining.
This book teaches manly virtues and skills. I particularly liked the two appendixes listing the 100 books and 100 movies every man should see.
This book was alot of fun. It teaches morals, virtues, wisdom, skills and gives a brief history on manly men the world over and what it takes to be a man (or a better man) all this is done with a few laughs along the way. If I'm ever attacked by a bear in suburban Brisbane (Australia) Frank Miniter has given me the knowledge and know how to come away unscathed from said bear attack hahahahha. I particularly liked the philosopher chapter and the 10 most masculine deaths of all time list. The appe ...more
Aurel Mihai
A long time ago I felt obliged to finish any book I started. Then I began to read a novel called Ebola. I can't recall who wrote it and I can't find it on Goodreads. It was so painfully uninteresting that, with only a few pages left, I put it down and never picked it up again. I hadn't the slightest curiosity regarding the outcome, the characters, the plot, the virus, or anything remotely related to that novel. Still, I had this notion that anything that somebody's gone through the trouble of wr ...more
This is an easy read. It is a book of quick facts and how-to-does. It tells the reader how to fend off a bear attack, survive alone in the wilderness, the basics of how to box. in a short page an a half I learned more about cigars than I'll ever need to know. It talks about firearms and how to start a fire without a match.

It also has a bunch of lists. There is a list of 50 sports facts that every man should know. There is a list of 100 movies that every man should see, and 100 books that every
I learned a great deal from this book, however, I think it might be a good idea to bring this book with me next time I go camping or into a swamp. Lots of info, some really great, some interesting, and some overkill. (how to throw a baseball?) If you don't know how to throw a baseball you should probably read Eat Pray Love instead, no book will help you at this point to be a man. This was an easy read, but you could easily ponder the simple subjects for days. I particularly liked the "Being a Ge ...more
I read about this book in one of my gun magazines, and it didn't disappoint. Along with tips on surviving a bear attack, on running with the bulls in Pamplona, and throwing a perfect curve ball, and not so useful skills like how to smoke a cigar and chose a wine at dinner, it also reminds us of heroic codes of honor and how to be a gentlemen. I also an appendix of great manly movies (I've seen most of them) and manly books (not enough of them on this list, but soon to be remedied).
Overall, I liked this book. It had great organization and overview of various topics like hero, athlete, survivor, etc. Since it tried to cover a variety of topics, none of them go into depth and it was a quick read. A few times I didn't agree with the author on his choices and sometimes he did repeat himself.
Jeff Olson
This book was a very good book because it taught you many cool manly things. It also includes many true stories that are really interesting. Some of the things it teaches you is how to survive in the woods, how to throw curve ball, and how to fix a flat tire. It is an amazing book.
Aaron Guilmette
Fun, quick read. Some good how-to info; obviously, some of the things (like how to fend off a bear) are hard to practice, but it's good to at least have something in your back pocket if such a need arises.
The practical stuff was good but whenever the author went on an anecdotal rampage, I was bothered his narrow view points.
Donnie Edgemon
This book is simple, but provokes thought about the duty that comes with the gender.
Frank Stanko
Frank Stanko marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Fouad marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Christopher marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Aman marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Wai Chung
Wai Chung marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Holly Mooren
Holly Mooren marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Marc marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Tom Johnson
Tom Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Glock marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Jordan Welch
Jordan Welch marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & camping skills for a wilderness environment
  • The Art of Manliness – Manvotionals
  • Camping & Wilderness Survival, 2nd: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency Use--Includes How to Make Ferrocement Water Tanks
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
  • Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness
  • Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • National Geographic Complete Survival Manual