Start by marking “The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Upper East Side metrosexual may be good at cocktail chat, but a real man knows how to fight off alligators, create a tourniquet out of a t-shirt, and rescue a drowning person. Frank Miniter's The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide shows men how to do all of these and more, including:
* how to fight off a bear
* how to set a dislocated joint
* how to pick the perfect cigar and
Published April 14th 2009 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide

Nicholas
What I learned? How to tie a tourniquet and set a dislocated shoulder. But all that survival junk was kind of boring to me. The best parts of this were the philosophy sections. What does it mean to be a man in Western European culture? In Eastern culture? What books are books every man should read?

Fun and entertaining.
Art
This book teaches manly virtues and skills. I particularly liked the two appendixes listing the 100 books and 100 movies every man should see.
Emmanuel
This book was alot of fun. It teaches morals, virtues, wisdom, skills and gives a brief history on manly men the world over and what it takes to be a man (or a better man) all this is done with a few laughs along the way. If I'm ever attacked by a bear in suburban Brisbane (Australia) Frank Miniter has given me the knowledge and know how to come away unscathed from said bear attack hahahahha. I particularly liked the philosopher chapter and the 10 most masculine deaths of all time list. The appe ...more
Dave
This is an easy read. It is a book of quick facts and how-to-does. It tells the reader how to fend off a bear attack, survive alone in the wilderness, the basics of how to box. in a short page an a half I learned more about cigars than I'll ever need to know. It talks about firearms and how to start a fire without a match.

It also has a bunch of lists. There is a list of 50 sports facts that every man should know. There is a list of 100 movies that every man should see, and 100 books that every
Seth
I learned a great deal from this book, however, I think it might be a good idea to bring this book with me next time I go camping or into a swamp. Lots of info, some really great, some interesting, and some overkill. (how to throw a baseball?) If you don't know how to throw a baseball you should probably read Eat Pray Love instead, no book will help you at this point to be a man. This was an easy read, but you could easily ponder the simple subjects for days. I particularly liked the "Being a Ge ...more
K.C.
I read about this book in one of my gun magazines, and it didn't disappoint. Along with tips on surviving a bear attack, on running with the bulls in Pamplona, and throwing a perfect curve ball, and not so useful skills like how to smoke a cigar and chose a wine at dinner, it also reminds us of heroic codes of honor and how to be a gentlemen. I also an appendix of great manly movies (I've seen most of them) and manly books (not enough of them on this list, but soon to be remedied).
Janet
Overall, I liked this book. It had great organization and overview of various topics like hero, athlete, survivor, etc. Since it tried to cover a variety of topics, none of them go into depth and it was a quick read. A few times I didn't agree with the author on his choices and sometimes he did repeat himself.
Jeff Olson
This book was a very good book because it taught you many cool manly things. It also includes many true stories that are really interesting. Some of the things it teaches you is how to survive in the woods, how to throw curve ball, and how to fix a flat tire. It is an amazing book.
Aaron Guilmette
Fun, quick read. Some good how-to info; obviously, some of the things (like how to fend off a bear) are hard to practice, but it's good to at least have something in your back pocket if such a need arises.
Monica
The practical stuff was good but whenever the author went on an anecdotal rampage, I was bothered his narrow view points.
Donnie Edgemon
This book is simple, but provokes thought about the duty that comes with the gender.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 13, 2014
Lady
Lady marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Liebermann
Liebermann marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Seth Maclaughlin
Seth Maclaughlin is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Daniel Newman
Daniel Newman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting Saving the Bill of Rights: Exposing the Left's Campaign to Destroy American Exceptionalism The Future of the Gun American Hunter Whitetail Classics