Start by marking “The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Upper East Side metrosexual may be good at cocktail chat, but a real man knows how to fight off alligators, create a tourniquet out of a t-shirt, and rescue a drowning person. Frank Miniter's The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide shows men how to do all of these and more, including:
* how to fight off a bear
* how to set a dislocated joint
* how to pick the perfect cigar and
Published April 14th 2009 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide

Nicholas
Feb 15, 2010 Nicholas rated it liked it
What I learned? How to tie a tourniquet and set a dislocated shoulder. But all that survival junk was kind of boring to me. The best parts of this were the philosophy sections. What does it mean to be a man in Western European culture? In Eastern culture? What books are books every man should read?

Fun and entertaining.
Art
Oct 03, 2009 Art rated it it was amazing
This book teaches manly virtues and skills. I particularly liked the two appendixes listing the 100 books and 100 movies every man should see.
Emmanuel
Nov 15, 2014 Emmanuel rated it really liked it
This book was alot of fun. It teaches morals, virtues, wisdom, skills and gives a brief history on manly men the world over and what it takes to be a man (or a better man) all this is done with a few laughs along the way. If I'm ever attacked by a bear in suburban Brisbane (Australia) Frank Miniter has given me the knowledge and know how to come away unscathed from said bear attack hahahahha. I particularly liked the philosopher chapter and the 10 most masculine deaths of all time list. The appe ...more
Aurel Mihai
Feb 15, 2015 Aurel Mihai rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage
A long time ago I felt obliged to finish any book I started. Then I began to read a novel called Ebola. I can't recall who wrote it and I can't find it on Goodreads. It was so painfully uninteresting that, with only a few pages left, I put it down and never picked it up again. I hadn't the slightest curiosity regarding the outcome, the characters, the plot, the virus, or anything remotely related to that novel. Still, I had this notion that anything that somebody's gone through the trouble of wr ...more
Dave
Aug 04, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
This is an easy read. It is a book of quick facts and how-to-does. It tells the reader how to fend off a bear attack, survive alone in the wilderness, the basics of how to box. in a short page an a half I learned more about cigars than I'll ever need to know. It talks about firearms and how to start a fire without a match.

It also has a bunch of lists. There is a list of 50 sports facts that every man should know. There is a list of 100 movies that every man should see, and 100 books that every
Jaroslav Tuček
May 08, 2016 Jaroslav Tuček rated it liked it
I enjoyed the second half of the book (moral codes, heroic and gentlemanly conduct) much more than the first - which, focusing on nature survival, hunting and sports, attempts to be a sort of an instruction manual at places. But can one learn how to box from a book? What about shooting a gun or dressing a deer? I think those pages could have been filled better.
Seth
Sep 01, 2010 Seth rated it really liked it
I learned a great deal from this book, however, I think it might be a good idea to bring this book with me next time I go camping or into a swamp. Lots of info, some really great, some interesting, and some overkill. (how to throw a baseball?) If you don't know how to throw a baseball you should probably read Eat Pray Love instead, no book will help you at this point to be a man. This was an easy read, but you could easily ponder the simple subjects for days. I particularly liked the "Being a Ge ...more
K.C.
May 30, 2013 K.C. rated it really liked it
I read about this book in one of my gun magazines, and it didn't disappoint. Along with tips on surviving a bear attack, on running with the bulls in Pamplona, and throwing a perfect curve ball, and not so useful skills like how to smoke a cigar and chose a wine at dinner, it also reminds us of heroic codes of honor and how to be a gentlemen. I also an appendix of great manly movies (I've seen most of them) and manly books (not enough of them on this list, but soon to be remedied).
Janet
Dec 10, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall, I liked this book. It had great organization and overview of various topics like hero, athlete, survivor, etc. Since it tried to cover a variety of topics, none of them go into depth and it was a quick read. A few times I didn't agree with the author on his choices and sometimes he did repeat himself.
Jeff Olson
Oct 16, 2013 Jeff Olson rated it really liked it
This book was a very good book because it taught you many cool manly things. It also includes many true stories that are really interesting. Some of the things it teaches you is how to survive in the woods, how to throw curve ball, and how to fix a flat tire. It is an amazing book.
Aaron Guilmette
Dec 08, 2012 Aaron Guilmette rated it liked it
Fun, quick read. Some good how-to info; obviously, some of the things (like how to fend off a bear) are hard to practice, but it's good to at least have something in your back pocket if such a need arises.
Monica
Apr 11, 2013 Monica rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The practical stuff was good but whenever the author went on an anecdotal rampage, I was bothered his narrow view points.
Donnie Edgemon
This book is simple, but provokes thought about the duty that comes with the gender.
Josh Chadd
Josh Chadd rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Aaron Wurts
Aaron Wurts marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Donald Boone
Donald Boone rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Blake P.
Blake P. rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
Joey Peacher
Joey Peacher marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sara Kreps
Sara Kreps marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Zoubir
Zoubir marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Steve Vernon
Steve Vernon rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
David Bradley
David Bradley rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Steven Klimasewski
Steven Klimasewski rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Kit Lange
Kit Lange rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
  • Camping & Wilderness Survival, 2nd: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & camping skills for a wilderness environment
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Official Game Guide
  • 101 Great Science Experiments
  • Boy Scout Handbook, the Official
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: 280 Incredibly Flavorful 5-Ingredient 15-Minute Recipes
  • Runner (Run #1)
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living