Start by marking “Missing in Death (In Death, #29.5)” as Want to Read:
Missing in Death (In Death, #29.5)

Missing in Death (In Death #29.5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,170 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Investigating a woman’s disappearance on a New York City ferry, Detective Eve Dallas wonders…if she didn’t jump, and she’s not on board, then where in the world is she?
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 24th 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Missing in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing in Death

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

Roarke ~ "It takes more than skill and duty to make a good cop.....it takes an unfailing sense of right and wrong"
Eve ~ "Yea, but it's a hell of a lot easier when they don't overlap."

I can't remember ever saying this before but, the plot of Missing in Death was too big for a novella. Fleshed out properly it had the potential of being a stellar full length novel. With spies, government agencies, high tech weaponry, missing people, and murder - it was an In Death home run just waiting to happen!
Aly is so frigging bored
Aug 28, 2016 Aly is so frigging bored rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, mistery
1st read 14-15 October 2013

2nd read August 2016
Sherri Hunter
This story originally appears in the anthology The Lost but in all honesty, I didn’t read the other stories. I usually don’t read anthologies because the stories are too short for my liking and don’t seem to satisfy. Also, they are usually part of a bigger series and they don’t seem to flow with the rest of the series they are a part of. But when it comes to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, Roarke, Peabody and the gang, a little bit of a story is better than nothing. I love this series so much and am so a ...more
Angela James
I think this may be the only In Death book I've ever not enjoyed. This is the second one of the novellas that I've listened to in audio and I didn't like the narrator the first time around and I still don't like her with this book. I can't stand the voice she uses for Peabody, which makes her sound like a stupid hick, and the narrator mispronounced words like "secret" (she instead pronounced it as "secrete". So someone was going to "secrete" the body. No no no) and "macabre". I know macabre isn' ...more
Katie Reus
Mar 23, 2015 Katie Reus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-listen
I love this series as a whole but this novella really struck the right note with me. I'm constantly amazed by Eve's growth and loved the decision she made at the end. I wasn't sure which way she'd go.
Caro
Sep 19, 2014 Caro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-death
Spooky good read! Ha ha. Emotions, puzzles, breadcrumbs, vortexes, flirting, surprises, and some tough decisions. A great read that hooks you, reels you in, and doesn't let go. I loved the whole thing (even though it was short) and the ending was perfect, if a little hard. Tense and page-turning. Another great read in a series that never lets go. You'll definitely get 'Lost' in this book. :) Enjoy!!!
Nikinnia Smith
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books in this series. It was only a novella so maybe that's why.
Tami
Jun 25, 2014 Tami rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of the In Death Series...and part of that hinges on Susan Ericksen's performance when narrating.
Kara-karina
Sep 08, 2015 Kara-karina rated it really liked it
Well written novella! Loved the cookie in the end :)
Zel Polev
Aug 07, 2016 Zel Polev rated it really liked it
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 30, 2014 OpenBookSociety.com rated it liked it
Shelves: heidi

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

missing-in-death-j-d-robbOne of New York’s great attractions is the Staten Island ferries! But one vacationing family has the scare of their life when their wife and mother goes missing and the women’s bathroom that she was supposed to have gone into is covered in blood. Now it’s up to Eve and Peabody to get to the bottom of things and find a killer that seems to have disappeared into thin air.

It’s been awhile since I’ve
Thenia
Jan 09, 2015 Thenia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, sci-fi, r-ab, 2015
A short story where Eve has to solve a possible murder on a ferry with the body missing.

An interesting case involving (view spoiler).

Next in the series comes Fantasy in Death.
Jerry
May 14, 2016 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like many readers, we were surprised at the length of this JD Robb “novella”, part of her prolific “In Death” series, and not at all the "short story" proclaimed on the cover. About eight lengthy chapters and an hour into the yarn, we were thinking this should have been a full length novel, as we were mesmerized with the suspense on one hand, and the machinations of the police on the other, headed of course by Lt. Eve Dallas, to solve a ferry-boat murder under unusually mysterious circumstances. ...more
Cathe Olson
Jan 13, 2015 Cathe Olson rated it it was ok
A woman is killed on the New York City ferry but both the murderer and body are nowhere to be found--luckily the supposedly brilliant Detective Eve Dallas is on the case.

This is my first J.D. Robb book and it seemed pretty much like a murder mystery for dummies -- no thinking or figuring out is required by the reader as the author is sure to over explain everything and even if you don't believe it, you understand it. Also, for some reason the author decided this should take place in the future
Ed
Jul 09, 2014 Ed rated it liked it
#29.5 (Novella #7) in the Eve Dallas (in Death) series. A woman goes missing on her way to the restroom on the Staten Island ferry and the restroom is then found coated in blood. The story is interesting as is the conflict between Dallas and Roarke about whether there are degrees of guilt. Dallas and Peabody joke about the killer using a "cloak of invisibility" to escape the ferry but the technology used is as much of a copout.

#29.5 Eve Dallas series - novella (In The Lost (2009) anthology) - I
Venus Blancia
Oct 05, 2015 Venus Blancia rated it really liked it
The cookie offering might be the end of the Eve and Summerset's bickering. But I am quieting myself of how justice is served here.
Carol
Mar 04, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the other books in this series. It was only a novella so maybe that's why. A woman has no memory of the past few hours. She actually walked in on a murder that took place in the bathroom on a tour boat. There is a huge mystery of how the killer got off the boat, but it was actually quite simple how he got off.
Eve ends up letting the killer go as he killed for retribution against the same agency that did not protect Eve as a child. It's a little convoluted
Maura
Ellen
Jul 24, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Canon! {http://canireadeverything.blogspot.co...}

In most of Eve's cases, she has some evidence to start her case. At the very least, she has a body. Missing in Death throws Eve for a loop because the case itself is so unusual: a crime scene, but no body with an entire passenger ferry full of people as potential suspects.

Missing in Death had all of the hallmarks of an In Death novel, squeezed into a small format. It was like watching your favorite movie in a half hour
Apr 18, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok
In general, I'm not a fan of the "in death" short stories, but I read them (or rather listen to them) because they are part of a larger series. This one... was incredibly boring. The concept was rather good, but since it was rushed into a short story rather than a full fledged novel, it was downright boring and the speed with which Roarke and Eve (Peabody and McNab being almost completely absent in the last half of the story) solved the case was downright ridiculous.
Visnja.Max
Aug 13, 2015 Visnja.Max rated it it was amazing
Eileen Troemel
May 15, 2015 Eileen Troemel rated it it was amazing
The pace was just right, the development was perfect, and the plot was spot on. Short stories are the hardest to write as you have to get everything just right in a limited - often very limited - number of words. This story is outside any Robb has done. Eve and Roarke are a bit at odds in this one. Eve's morals and beliefs are tested as she stands for a woman who is despicable.
Liza Wiemer
An "In Death" novella showed the darker side of James Bond-type work - assassins for hire with no sense or care for human life. Eve is put in a nasty position, once again blurring the lines of "right and wrong." Still, she makes the best decision she could, given the circumstances.

A quick, interesting read.
Marie Easthope
I completely am in love with this series! My only regret is that I can't find them all at my Libraries that I have access to! Specifically I'm looking for them in Audio books as I'm in my car a lot of the time in the day. I have one in my car, and I have a different one I listen to in my bedroom!
Karen
This is a great little story which puts a lot of plot and action into its small dimensions. As usual, fast moving action with intricate plot; funny banter between the growing cast of characters and Roarke is there to help do his computer (e-geek) sleuthing. An important loose end to Lt. Dallas' past is tied up nicely. A fun enjoyable read as always with Susan Erickson's talented narration bringing the characters to life.

Re Susan Erickson's portrayal of Peabody, it is a contested subject because
Gisele
Jan 21, 2015 Gisele rated it really liked it
Un caso más que llega al corazon de Eve. Me encanta como la autora nos entrega este tipo de pedazos acerca del pasado de Eve, que muestran al lector una pieza más del rompecabeza de su mente e integridad y como ella debe batallar con sus propios demonios y reconocer que no todos son culpables.
Read
Another great addition to the In Death series. This one was short and maybe could have been a little longer to more fully flush out some parts of the story. But the story was interesting and well done. Lots of unexpected twists and turns keep you on your toes. I loved how Peabody was so pleased that the ferry guy hit on her and that she was able to tell him that she was in love with her "co-hab". I loved how Peabody expressed that "having a guy is great" and Eve has grown enough to actually agre ...more
Ann Quilaga
Feb 23, 2016 Ann Quilaga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robb-series
This book was really heart-warming. It went with everything Eve Dallas stands for, but it's everything this series needed. After reading so many of these books, it can get draggy and sometimes concepts are the same, it's stories like this that hits home!
Marie
Feb 20, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
This was an audio book. It started out well (hence the two star rating), but it became boring and unintelligible in it's solution and there was no effort in solving the case. It just was not worth the time I put into listening to it.
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Missing In Death (Apr. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 19 14 Apr 19, 2015 06:51PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • The Better To See You (Transplanted Tales, #2)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
  • Not Without Risk (Undercover Cops, #1)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Final Truth (Truth #4; John Mancini #10)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • Voodoo 'n' Vice (Galactic Alliance #3)
  • The Course of True Love (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • Loose Ends (Steele Street, #11)
  • Alien Diplomacy (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #5)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Why do you always have to put you and McNab and sex in my head? It brings pain no blocker can cure.” 11 likes
“I get double credits. First I get the satisfaction credit of being hit on by the sexy DOT inspector, and second I get loyal and true credit for turning him down because I have my personal sexy nerd.” 7 likes