Start by marking “The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)

The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone #5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  12,029 Ratings  ·  624 Reviews
When Napoleon Bonaparte died in exile in 1821, he took to the grave a powerful secret. As general and emperor, he had stolen immeasurable riches from palaces, national treasuries, and even the Knights of Malta and the Vatican. In his final days, his British captors hoped to learn where the loot lay hidden. But he told them nothing, and in his will he made no mention of the ...more
Audio CD, 14 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Paris Vendetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paris Vendetta

The Templar Legacy by Steve BerryThe Romanov Prophecy by Steve BerryThe Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve BerryThe Alexandria Link by Steve BerryThe Amber Room by Steve Berry
The best of Steve Berry
9th out of 19 books — 55 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownTimeline by Michael CrichtonInferno by Dan Brown
Treasure Hunter Thrillers
74th out of 296 books — 668 voters

More lists with this book...

Shane Briant
Jun 30, 2009 Shane Briant rated it it was amazing
One of the ultimate page-turners. You'll still be reading when your holiday Airbus 300-200 plunges into the side of a mountain. It's that much fun.
Kelley Anne
Feb 19, 2010 Kelley Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved this book as part of a first reads giveaway. Overall, I really enjoyed it. It's pretty fast paced, action packed. I also really enjoyed the characters. This book reminded me a bit of a Dan Brown novel, in the way that history becomes an integreal part of the story. I really enjoyed the parts about Napolean!

My one real problem was that this book is in the middle of a series. And I've never read the other books in the series! I'm sure that if I had already read the other books, I would
Gail Cooke
Jan 13, 2010 Gail Cooke rated it it was amazing
Opening with Napoleon on Egypt's Giza Plateau in 1799 Steve Barry again takes us on an exciting, suspenseful, ever surprising journey with former justice department operative Cotton Malone. One of the many things that makes reading a Berry book so intriguing is his splendid mix of history and mystery.

As we know Napoleon was, among other things, an excellent thief. He had stolen vast treasures from repositories of wealth throughout the world. Question is what became of this booty after his death
Suspense Magazine
Feb 12, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
Long time fans will be overjoyed to see the return of much-loved Cotton Malone in Steve Berry’s newest twist, “The Paris Vendetta”. Circling multiple storylines, this is easily the most fast-paced volume in the series as Berry focuses on the long-lost treasure of Napoleon Bonaparte. Cotton is duty-bound to make a choice between helping his closest friend, Henrik Thorvaldsen or taking down a terrorist plot with his former employer Stephanie Nelle.

Bringing together the best of both worlds, Berry
Apr 29, 2010 M.J. rated it it was amazing
No one writes historical thrillers like Steve Berry. I can say the same thing for all his books- they keep me turning the pages long into the night.
Oct 12, 2010 Vivienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I read this last week as light relief during my more serious reading of the Man Booker shortlist.

As always, Berry delivered a sharp, fast-paced thriller that was very hard to put down. Great fun.
When I picked this book up, I'd seen reviews saying that it wasn't like Berry's previous novels. Some of the reviewers liked it, some didn't. I have to admit, they were right- the book isn't much like any of Berry's other novels. Rather than focus on the pursuit of some forgotten bit of history, the main focus of the book is about revenge, politics & pride. It reads more like a spy mystery mixed in with a crime drama than anything else.

The story finds Cotton Malone's bookstore home being bro
Alayne Bushey
Dec 01, 2010 Alayne Bushey rated it liked it
I'm sad to say it, folks, Mr. Berry has let me down. Something about The Paris Vendetta, the fifth book in the Cotton Malone series, did not catch me as his previous books have. I wasn't hooked, I wasn't excited or thrilled or anticipating the next turn of events.

The Paris Vendetta follows former agent Cotton Malone as he's rudely awoken in the middle of the night by a stranger who says his good friend Henrik sent him. So begins a European cat-and-mouse game between Cotton, Henrik, and a danger
This book started out r.e.a.l.l.y slow for me. I was listening to the audio version, and the narrator made it almost impossible to tell characters apart during dialog. So I switched to the written version instead, and that helped it move along more. I wish there had been more history and clue finding like in other books by Berry. This book seemed to rely more on character interaction and vendettas and such than adventure. The ending definitely picked up, but I think this is my least favorite of ...more
Randall Christopher
Apr 12, 2012 Randall Christopher rated it really liked it
I loved the prologue about Napoleon giving away secret information, and it never got dull from there. Henrik's mystique really brewed heavily in this one and I enjoyed his character much more from this read. I liked the Cotton Malone pairing with the other agent and their genuine love-hate relationship. They knew they had to work together, yet didn't really fully trust one another along the way. This is one of those books that really shows how much Berry has grown as an author, and helps cement ...more
Mark O'Neill
No sooner is Cotton Malone back from the Arctic after finding his father is he launching once again into another conspiracy. This time, he is caught up in Henrik Thorvaldsen's violent attempts to gain revenge for the murder of his son in Mexico many years before. Using private investigators, Thorvaldsen has tracked down the two people responsible for his son's murder - a Spanish drug lord and an English Lord. After killing the Spanish drug lord, Thorvaldsen asks Malone to help him track down the ...more
Angela Risner
Jun 05, 2012 Angela Risner rated it it was ok
I’m a huge fan of Steve Berry. The amount of research he does for each one is just amazing. He takes us on travels that most of us will never go on ourselves. I always learn something new.

The Paris Vendetta focuses on Napoleon Bonaparte. Most of us probably know the following facts about Napoleon:

He was short.
He stuck his hand inside his coat all of the time.
He lost at Waterloo.
He was exiled to some island.

Small bit of trivia – I had a pen pal from the island to which he was first exiled, El
Jun 22, 2012 Dalyia rated it really liked it
رائعة ترابط الحبكة بين الشخصيات واهدافهم كان رائع .. كانت الترجمة غير موفقة ببعض المقاطع
Threasa Jenkins
Jul 13, 2016 Threasa Jenkins rated it liked it
This is another fast-paced, action-packed book from Steve Berry. It is a book that is very difficult to put down. Cotton is tracking down a club that plans to manipulate the global economy. Throw in a search for Napoleon's cache, you have a very interesting and exciting book.
Laura Pilcher
Can't get enough of steve berry books they are just brilliant, edge of your seat books!
Mar 18, 2013 Shana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mar 26, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2013 has certainly been a good year for me especially with relation to the books I've chosen to read. Most of the books I've read this year have been fascinating and highly deserving of 5 stars :). Steve Berry's 'The Paris Vendetta' is most definitely one of these books. I had given this book to a friend and after he read it, he lent it to me. It had rested on my shelf for a few months while I enjoyed other wonderful books but I did not thought what a gem this book really is. To say I immensely ...more
Am0o0n Turki

عندما مات نابليون بونابرت في المنفى عام م ، أخذ معه الى القبر سراً بالغ الأهمية. فنظرا لكونه جنرالاً وإمبروطوراً ، كان قد سرق
كنوزاً طائلة من القصور، والخونة الوطنية ، وحتى من فرسان مالطا والفاتيكان. وأمِل آسروه البريطانيون أن يعلموا أين خبأ الغنائم. ولكنه لم يخبرهم شيئاً البتة ، ولم يذكر شيئاً عن الكنز في وصيته .أم تراه فعل ذلك ؟
مدير إدارة العدل السابق، كوتون مالون، كان على وشك أن يكتشف ذلك وإذا بالمشاكل تطرق باب مكتبته في كوبنهاغن على يد عميل في جهاز المخابرات الامريكي يطارده قاتلان محترفان.
Nostalgia Reader
All the good history and treasure hunting took a back seat to the conspiracies and revenge. It seemed a bit haphazard, with the stories not nearly as well tied all together by the end, as most other Berry books have. More like a National Treasure movie than a Malone novel, especially at the end, down to the relationship dynamics of the characters.
Alex is The Romance Fox
With the 5th novel in the Cotton Malone Series, the author has written another well-crafted book, where he skillfully blends modern day suspense and historical mystery, featuring Cotton Malone, ex-member of the Magellan Billet, now living a quite life as a bookstore owner in Copenhagen. I love the fact that Malone has a love for books………just like me!!! And he has something I would have loved to have owned……his very own bookstore!!!
 photo images_zps30535d04.jpg
This story focuses primarily on Malone’s friend and mentor, Hen
Feb 02, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
When ex-Department of Justice agent Cotton Malone now bookseller in Copenhagen realises his friend Henrik Thorvaldsen is in trouble he doesn’t hesitate to spring into action. Somehow Napoleon Bonaparte, a British aristocratic lord and Henrik's murdered son Cai are inextricably linked.

This is the 5th in the Cotton Malone series, this was a slow starter for me initially there was a lot more intrigue than action and took me a while to settle with the story but once I did I really got into it. I rea
Jul 24, 2015 Cyndi rated it did not like it
This book had a couple of exciting parts, but, for the most part, really didn't like the flash-backs. Loses the story line too often. It was difficult sometimes to remember in what time or place each scene was taking place.
Aug 01, 2015 Gruia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I crawled to the end of this book. Very disappointed and will not return to this author. Was expecting a page-turner, but simply could not get drawn in. There are several reasons for this:

1. The characters and story so full of stereotypes, they turn kitschy
2. Poor writing technique
3. The lack of cadence and a nonexistent writing style
4. Poor fact checking and realism.

1. Stereotypes: multivalent hero, lone-wolf, with billionaire friends, US president on speed-dial etc.

2. Writing techniqu
Mar 03, 2016 Gabe rated it liked it
I would've rate it 3.75 if fractional rating would be an option here.

This is a very interesting and entertaining book at the same time.

It is a pleasant mix of history and reality, with a focus on the controversial figure of Napoleon as either a great leader or a despot and unfair egocentric man who managed to lead France, based on your own preference or view of the man's career.

The writing style is very advanced, with plenty of quotes that deserve to be memorized or at least noted and recorded
সাকিব জয়
‘বৃকষ তোমার নাম কি ফলে পরিচয়’। আর কারোর বেলায় কথাটা খাটে কিনা জানিনা তবে নতুন অনুবাদক রাকিব হাসানের বেলায় খাটতে বাধয কথাটা। সালে আমাজনিয়ার মতো একটা দুরদানত বই অনুবাদ করে পাঠক মহলে নিজের আসন পোকত ভাবেই অধিষঠিত করেন উনি। সবাইকে দেখিয়ে দেন নিজের অনুবাদ করার দুরদানত গুনাবলী। তখন থেকে এখন পরযনত বইয়ের গরুপ গুলোতে ঢু মারলে দেখা যাবে এই বই নিয়েই সবচেয়ে আলোচনা হয়েছে সবচেয়ে বেশী। বইটির ছিল যেমন সুনদর গাথুনী তেমনী ছিলো উনার অনুবাদ। তারই রেশ ধরে এইবারের বই মেলাতে আসে উনার আরেকটি অনুবাদ। সটিভ বযারির দযা পযা ...more
Sami Choudhury
Oct 15, 2016 Sami Choudhury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, Yes, Yes !!! At last I have finished the book. What can I say this book? A mixed pickle or something? To be very honest, it's an atom bomb.

Whenever I first saw this book at Adee Prokashoni, Banglabazar, I was little hesitating to buy this book. But it caught my attention right after I read the back cover summery. Napoleon Bonaparte is always a mysterious character to me. So his grave in this super fast action thriller.

I don't want to say much about the story. It's about Napoleon's Hidden Tr
Oct 14, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I've read quite a few Steve Berry books, and for me this was one of the better ones. Short, sharp chapters quickly introduce several intriguing characters who gradually move towards each other as the story evolves. I loved the mainly Parisian setting, and the pace keeps going brilliantly.
Rick Adolfse
Oct 07, 2016 Rick Adolfse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed boek maar voor mij te fictief. De eerste helft is nog redelijk te bevatten, daarna besluit de auteur dat het allemaal nog wel wat "heftiger" kan. Prima, maar voor mij betekent dit dat het boek een beetje "flauw" aanvoelt. Verder leest het boek lekker weg.
Neek ~~The Darker The Better~~
Best one yet.
Oct 21, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-thriller
This is actually a great thriller --- and one that painlessly immerses one into quite a bit of history. I think I was just too tired to really appreciate it. :)
  • The Templar Salvation (Templar, #2)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Lost Throne (Payne & Jones, #4)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Solomon Effect (Jax Alexander Mystery #2)
  • The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)

Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The 14th Colony>, The Patriot Threat, The Lincoln Myth, The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair, The Jefferson Key, The Emperor's Tomb, The Paris Vendetta, The Charlemagne Pursuit, The Venetian Betrayal, The Alexandria Link, T
More about Steve Berry...

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone, #11)

“If all my friends jumped off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them. I'd be at the bottom, hoping to catch them.” 21 likes
“It's the circumstances that create fear. How you respond is all you can control. Concentrate on that, and you'll always succeed.” 11 likes