Start by marking “Itty Bitty” as Want to Read:
Itty Bitty
Preview

Itty Bitty

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  32 reviews
For a teeny-tiny dog seeking a home in a daunting world, big hopes — and a bit of ingenuity — go a long way.

Itty Bitty is a very, very tiny dog. But when he finds an enormous bone, he goes straight to work, gnawing out doors and windows and hollowing out the entire inside. When his work is done, however, his cavernous house still feels incomplete. Where can he find some it
Published June 9th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Itty Bitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itty Bitty

Jess Brown
I almost gave this book four stars, just because itty bitty is so cute, as are the illustrations. But really, there's not much substance to this book. Itty Bitty finds an enormous bone and decides to make it his home. Only problem is that he needs things to put inside it. So he goes shopping in the Teeny Weeny department and finds a way to make his bone a home. Cute, but not much there. Good for preschoolers, maybe toddlers, too.
Liza Gilbert
This is a slight story about a tiny dog who finds a huge bone, hollows it out to be his home, and then goes shopping for teeny furniture. The message seems to be that if you're feeling bad, shopping will be the solution. The story is forgettable, but the art is very pleasing.
Karen
My five-year-old picked this book out from the library last week.

This is an itty-bitty book about an itty-bitty dog. The story, such as it is, is fine. There just isn't very much to it.

The illustrations suit the itty-bitty story just fine.

Julie
We've been reading this every day for about a week. We like how the little guy wins! We also enjoy choosing furnishings and seeing them in the bone.
Robin
Trying to like Cece Bell's works but failing
Iroquois
super-dee-duper cute.
Rachel
Really cute illustrations, but a flat story. The story is that in order to make a house feel like home, Itty Bitty filled his home with itty bitty objects. Perhaps if this story were developed more, saying that Itty Bitty's house felt like home when filled with family members or friends, it would have been a fuller story. Unfortunately, it focuses only on material items.
paula
It's cute as pie, and I really liked it and you can just SHUT UP. Not everything has to be complex and bittersweet in order to be good. Itty Bitty is a supertiny dog, who drives a walnut-shell car, and who picks out some furniture for his little house in this undersized book. And that's it, and it's sweet and simple and gives you a nice warm feeling inside.
Dee
This book for some reason just cracked me up. Maybe because it reminded me of another book I read a long time ago to my children called Tommy the Winner who builds a house of cheese he wins. Does anyone remember that book? I loved when he went to the department store to the itty bitty section.
Dolly
Nov 04, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is a short and sweet story about a little tiny dog who makes a house out of a bone. The illustrations are adorable, and the narrative is simple for young readers. Our youngest read this book aloud to us and we enjoyed reading it together.
Susan P
So cute! Too small for story time, but I'm going to use it for our library story line next week. Itty Bitty is a teeny tiny dog who makes his home out of a big dog bone that he hollows out. Now he just needs furniture!
Jenny Lussier
This book was recommended to me by a 1st grader (I actually purchased a couple books by this author). I thought it was good, but the kids just LOVE it! Something about a tiny little dog that just gets them.
Holly
Itty bitty dog makes a house by hollowing out a bone, but then realizes he needs to furnish it with teeny weeny furniture and things. This would be a cute house-warming gift (especially for petite people!).
Ashley Greenfield
A great book that can be used to show students that what matters is on the inside. It's a good story to encourage young students to read; it has an easily understood message and the pictures are appealing.
Kelly Triplett
Heidi
A cute book. One that would be good for a lap-read (especially if my sister were reading it aloud!). I like the pictures and the (forgive me) little bits of humor.
Elisabeth
Looked at it to use this for a Big/Little storytime but the book itself is too ittty bitty. Charming dog, charming bone/house but not much else going on story-wise.

Michal Hope
I love Itty Bitty and his shopping in the Teeny Weeny Department. Sometimes I feel like I need one of those departments when I'm shopping too! Love it!
Boni
Hmmm. Well, I love the design and art- very cute. The story fell kind of flat for me when all he did was buy small things for his new house to feel like home.
Vicki
A short and sweet picture book, about a tiny "itty bitty" dog who makes a BIG bone his home. Fun to use your "itty bitty" voice when reading this to a group.
Edna
Erin
A sweet and adorable itty bitty book about an itty bitty dog who makes himself an itty bitty home.
Molly
Loved this! My son also enjoyed the story and found the illustrations to be hilarious!
Chris C
I'd love to read this book at Storytime...but, it's too small.
Aspasia
This teeny tiny dog is on a mission...
EL
small; homes theme; dog; smallness
Katie
It's not itty bitty on the cuteness!!!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My four year old loves this book! :)
Gina Pecoraro
Jan 31, 2010 Gina Pecoraro marked it as to-read
Shelves: award-winning
Booklist 2009 Editors' Choice
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James River Writers: Itty Bitty 2 4 Oct 08, 2013 08:44AM
I'm an author and an illustrator, and sadly not a jazz pianist. I live in an old church in the hills of Virginia with my husband, author Tom Angleberger. I work right next door in a new-ish barn. I've written and illustrated a bunch of books for kids and was lucky enough to get a Geisel Honor for one of 'em. If you want to know more about my hearing loss or my childhood (or both), check out my fir ...more
More about Cece Bell...
El Deafo Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover Bee-Wigged Sock Monkey Goes To Hollywood: A Star Is Bathed Sock Monkey Rides Again