Start by marking “Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?” as Want to Read:
Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  15 reviews
How much weight will I gain and how fast can I lose it?"
"Will my partner still want to have sex with me after watching the birth?"
"How do I handle the know-it-alls, judges, and Space Invaders?"
"Will I end up wearing Mom jeans forever?" People might tell you you're glowing, but you just feel like you're growing, and perhaps you're not liking or even recognizing--the changin
Published October 1st 2009 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?

Jody
This book has cussing, which is great! And it has commentary from women of all ages...not just in the 20's. And if any of my friends are reading this: No, I am not pregnant. The amount of alcohol I've consumed this holiday season would make that a sad affair... ;)
Minna
I enjoyed this book greatly. There is not a lot written, whether in books, articles, blog posts, etc, about this topic. What I have found so far takes a distinctly "shaming" tone, as in, Shame on the woman who is so vain/selfish/shallow/vapid/narcissistic/fill-in-the-blank as to have these feelings.
This book takes the opposite approach, acknowledging that these feelings are normal and need to be discussed or at least aired before you can try to reform your body image. I really appreciated this.
Ciara
i expected this to be terrible, but it was actually really good! it's all about coping with changes to your body & attendant impact on body image during & after pregnancy. one of the authors is a former model who is blunt about the fact that she maintained her model body via a destructive eating disorder--& she theorizes that most working models probably engage in unhealthy behavior with food & weight maintenance...& magazines still airbrush their photos to make the women loo ...more
Louma (Pokidots)
I thought this was a nice book, and it prepares a pregnant woman for the reality that her body will change, in many different ways, some of which I hadn't thought of.

What I liked is that it repeats one important piece of advice, which is "not to look forward to going back," meaning that the goal for a pregnant woman shouldn't be to get her pre-pregnancy body back, but to learn to take care of her new self and her new body after giving birth.

What I didn't like is that it focuses a lot on how wome
Tara
this book had great insights on how women can feel insecure about all the changes their body is going through for pregnancy. I loved how they had a chapter about the pressure to be like celebrities and get your pre baby body back instantly, and how you will never have a pre baby body again because you did have a baby! some of the chapters were targeted at women who have eating disorders and that didn't really apply to me, but I'm glad there is a book out there that addresses pregnancy body image ...more
Valerie
Now, I am not expecting. I'll put that out there right now. But this book was fabulous and a great perspective for women, whether you have kids or not. It helps to look and feel about ourselves in a respectful way and not the way the media and society are forcing on us. Aside from the language, it would have been higher rated. Really enjoyed it. It is helping me in every day life to not scrutinize and criticize myself so much.
Mikhaela
I have mixed feelings on this book. I love the premise--promoting healthy body image during and after pregnancy, skewering the dangerous obsession with having a celebrity-looking bod weeks after delivery--but feel it wasn't all that indepth and just skimmed the surface of the various topics covered.
Highly recommend to anyone who is expecting from day one. The book is empowering, affirming and helps you deal with the amazing comments people think they can say to you and it be o.k.
Kellie
Dec 17, 2013 Kellie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Good read about a healthy body image and pregnancy and motherhood. Especially if you are having a daughter. Important things to remember.
Andi
Dec 25, 2009 Andi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: expectant mothers, new mothers
Recommended to Andi by: TLC Book Tours
An interesting, funny, thoughtful book on body issues that accompany pregnancy. Read for a blog tour and enjoyed this one very much.
Jo
Anecdotal, funny, friendly. Good for thoughts on self-acceptance and what messages you pass on to your kids.
Amy Richard
I'm quoted in this book from the days in which I was involved in the mom blogging world!!!
Amy Richard
Veronica
I just got this in the mail and can't wait to dive in soon!!
Heather
Dare I say...life changing?
Alyssa Filipowich
Alyssa Filipowich marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jun 05, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Claire Mysko is a writer, media consultant, and the co-founder of Inside Beauty, a website and outreach program designed to give girls a healthy fashion and beauty reality check. She has served as the Assistant Director of Communications at Girls Inc., the Executive Editor of SmartGirl, and the Director of the American Anorexia Bulimia Association. Claire holds a master's degree in gender studies ...more
More about Claire Mysko...
You're Amazing!: A No-Pressure Guide to Being Your Best Self (Girls Inc. Presents) Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?: The Essential Guide to Loving Your Body Before and After Baby Girls Inc. Presents You're Amazing!: A No-Pressure Gude to Being Your Best Self