Start by marking “Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #1)

Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)

Canned from her L.A. law firm, Kendra Ballantyne is now a freelance pet-sitter. When her clients start getting knocked off one by one, Kendra fears she's being set up. Aided by sexy detective Jeff Hubbard, she's got to find out why, and fast. This killer's animal instincts are downright dangerous.
Published January 4th 2005 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sit, Stay, Slay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sit, Stay, Slay

Tracy Weber
Sep 02, 2013 Tracy Weber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this cozy mystery starting a recently suspended lawyer forced to make ends meet by pet sitting. I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 simple because I got annoyed by the sleuth's constant yearning for the male client/PI she's housesitting for. There wasn't anything graphic, sex wise. Just thought too much energy in the book was spent angsting for it.
Julie
Cozies depend on their sleuths, so when I hate the sleuth, I'm going to hate the cozy. And I hate the sleuth.

The writing isn't bad and the plot was okay. The protagonist was painful.
Morgan
Sep 10, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery was pretty much a what you see is what you get. Former lawyer Kendra B. has gone from famous litigator to bankrupt has-been. The cause? Kendra claims she was framed for leaking private client information. To make it even worse, the client in question was killed due to the information leak. Kendra is forced to sell nearly all her possessions (save a BMW, every girl needs her BMW to survive) and rent her beautiful Hollywood home to a former reality tv star and boy toy. To add insult t ...more
Diane Morasco
Meet Kendra Ballantyne & Lexie her adorable tricolor Cavalier King Charles spaniel.Kendra Ballantyne can no longer practice law. She was accused of providing a strategy memo to opposing counsel’s client. The client then killed the CEO of the corporation she was suing.Kendra insists that she in innocent, but she was forced to resign from her law firm and her law license was suspended for three months.As Kendra's finances started mounting she had to file for bankruptcy.

Fortuitously, she was a
Phoebe
Aug 14, 2008 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Phoebe by: Linda O. Johnston
Lyn
Jul 07, 2012 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After a scandal at her law firm, Kendra Ballentyne’s license to practice law is suspended. In danger of losing her upscale Los Angeles home, she is forced to rent to a former reality show alumnus contestant. Kendra moves into the maid’s quarters.

The owner of Doggy Indulgence Pet Resort frequented by Lexie, her Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, recommends her for a job with his animal owning clients. In need of money and to keep from watching her new renters trash her home, Kendra agrees to a live-
Julie H.
Nov 08, 2012 Julie H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'd really like to go 2.5 stars here, but am rounding down this time. The premise is cute, as are the animals, but the actual mystery--let alone the police procedural part--felt oversimplified to this reader, esp. Noralles' too two-dimensional nature. Also, so only Kendra is capable of proving her own innocence? Really? Yet she consistently inserts herself in situations where it could only be read as a conflict of interest and/or entirely self-serving. Moreover, in several instances Ballantyne's ...more
Fatima C
This book was about Kendra being a disaster.First by selling her hollywood house to some strangers.Then her new job is pet sitting and her life has gone to dogs.And when one of clients is knocked down by another one she is scared that she is being set up.But with the help of detective Jeff Hubbard she is going to find out what is up.Is she being set up?

I would recommend this book to young adults.Well because I don't think that some from age 10 and down would understand everything in the beside
Dharia Scarab
Really didn't enjoy this book, I picked up 3 or
4 books in this series at the thrift shop, so I'll give it another try but I'm not expecting it to get better.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I won't be reading any more from the au
Marty
Apr 13, 2016 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kendra Ballantyne was a successful lawyer until she was accused of a number of improprieties and was almost disbarred from the profession. Now under 3 months suspension of her law license and fired from her law group, she has had to sell her furniture, rent out her beautiful home (she’s now living in the maid’s quarters) and find some other way to earn a living. When telling her Doggy Day Care operator that she can no longer bring her dog there, he tells her he really needs a pet sitter who woul ...more
bella
Jan 20, 2012 bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sit, Stay Slay is the first book in the Pet Sitter Mystery series by Linda O. Johnston.

Kendra is left reeling after she her license to practice law is suspended. She takes on a temporary job as a pet sitter. However she soon gets herself in trouble with the law when her client's owners start to turn up dead.

I'm a pet owner (to two demanding felines) and I love reading mysteries that involve pets. As you can imagine I was very eager to start this series. For me, Sit, Stay, Slay started a little s
Amanda
Oct 01, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I much prefer the Blaize Clement series of pet sitter mysteries over this one. While waiting for the next ebook to become available from the library, I gave this one a try. I haven't finished it yet, so apologies if it turns a corner and gets awesome, but so far I don't like the whole attitude of the book — the main character falls into pet sitting reluctantly, doesn't much like cats, is a woe-is-me snob from a rich background who's fallen on hard times … I'm finding it really hard to be sympath ...more
Mailis Viiand
It was written with the help of a handbook of how to write a mystery. Everything was in its place, but it didn't stand out in any way, everything was a bit bland, the story, the people, the mystery. Solution to the mystery came in the form of an easy way out, enter the culprit who wanted revenge because of improbable reasons that screamed of bad soap opera standard idea. Its like the author thought of a sticky situation, and imagined what would she do if that ever happened to her. And still the ...more
Sandy
Jun 28, 2010 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I usually love cozies. I didn't love this one. It was boring. I actually fell asleep a couple of times while reading. (Which I almost NEVER do!)
I was frusterated with the story and just wished that I knew who did it already! I didn't enjoy the ride. What little it told about the police investigation led me to believe that there was none and that Kendra had to do her own investigating for there to be any at all. Speaking of Kendra, I didn't like her. I had no connection with her, nothing in commo
Susan
Enjoyable first installment of the pet-sitter series. Kendra is trying to get her life back together after she is framed for a unethical slip at her firm and her legal license is suspended. Friend Darryl has a successful pet-sitting business with an opening, and especially a great opening for a pet/house-sitter with decent refs. PI Jeff decides Kendra will do, which works for Kendra since she's had to rent her main house out to party animals - which is kinda painful to watch from her garage apar ...more
Erika
Aug 18, 2013 Erika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a likable story with good character development.

Kendra Ballantyne is a recently suspended litigator who gets work as a pet-sitter. It's going well, until one, and then two, of her clients are murdered and she becomes the prime suspect.

I can't tell, not familiar with the author, if this is the first story featuring Kendra. But the book cover refers to it as "A Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery."

The author has written other books, so I might check those out next time I'm at the libra
Michelle
Jun 11, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes mysterys or dogs
I am currently reading Sit, Stay, Slay by Linda O. Johnston.

Sit, Stay, Slay
Linda O. Johnston
Detective Fiction
295 pages

Jenn
Jan 19, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent little read. I liked the main character well enough, but if I were her, I'd have stayed away from her former law office. I didn't puzzle out who had done it until very later in the book. I liked the interactions with the pets. I felt they kind of left it hanging with the people renting her house...what happened to them? I might read more of these if I happen across them at the used book store or something, but I won't go out of my way to read them.
Crystal
Turns out I only like corny mysteries in 2 settings;
1) Audiobooks
2) While on vacation and lounging on the beach
Since I am no longer sitting on the beach, this book just could not hold my attention. I gave up after getting 1/3rd of the way through and wondering who someone was, only to look back and realize he was one of the main characters!
Emmalee
Jun 05, 2015 Emmalee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, pets
I will give her some artistic leeway on the proper care of ball pythons and other reptiles as it's rather relevant to the plot, but GAHHHHHH. As a former reptile breeder and hobbyist who has bred pythons of various species...it's like she did half the research, some of it very well, and some of she threw out!

Otherwise, the mystery elements are very good.

Mary Z : )
Oct 04, 2013 Mary Z : ) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this one. The storyline wasn't all that exciting, but enough to keep me mildly interested. The kiss of death happened when I was about halfway through. As I was fighting to recall who the many suspects were, I realized I didn't care who did it. Sorry. Too many other books on my To Read list to muscle my way through to the end.
Patty
Nov 09, 2015 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The story is decent, characters are well written and with enough depth to keep them interesting in a series. I did research the snake mentioned and could not find it in existence.
The story was not gripping enough to compel me to read and the main character may be a bit annoying. I'll certainly read the 2nd in this series and others by this author before deciding.
Anaala
Mar 28, 2014 Anaala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn't get into this book. the characters and plot are just so bland and formulaic.

The things our heroine does are ridiculously irresponsible. I suppose that there isn't much realism to be had when it comes to cozy mysteries.

I did enjoy the bits where she was interacting with the pets.
Janet Windeguth
Dec 12, 2010 Janet Windeguth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
While I have a hard time working up sympathy for anyone who can afford to live in a gated home on Mulholland Drive, I found Kendra to be an extremely likeable—if somewhat annoying—heroine. Hopefully the next book in the series will be better.
Heather G
Sep 19, 2007 Heather G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have trouble sleeping
This book really dragged for the first two-thirds, seemed to repeat the same day, day after day after day.... The last 50 pages or so were exciting. I didn't figure out the killer until the last chapter. Still, I won't waste my time reading any of the series that come after this one.
Sandra
Nov 05, 2015 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book by this author in another series and found it OK but not special. This one is definitely in the same category.

It was all right but a bit rambling and a lot of material could have been eliminated because it added nothing to the mystery.
Sherri Hunter
Feb 08, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Not bad first in a new to me series. I like the ex attorney now pet sitter theory and will be looking for the next book to read. Thought the ending was a little rushed and came out of left field but can look past it as I did enjoy the characters.
Shaneace
Jan 19, 2012 Shaneace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. Its the perfect for when you need a fun and fast read that will leave you wanting more!
Brenda Spangler
slow start...
ette
Jun 15, 2012 ette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Cozy mystery-pretty boring, and I didn't like most of the characters much
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Corpse Pose (Mantra for Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
Linda O. Johnston's first published fiction appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for Best First Mystery Short Story of the Year. Since then, Linda has had more short stories and novellas published, plus, by the end of 2015, she will have had forty-one novels published, including mysteries and romance.

Linda currently writes two cozy mystery series f
More about Linda O. Johnston...

Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery (9 books)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
  • Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3)
  • Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • Double Dog Dare (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #6)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)