Start by marking “Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #1)

Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Canned from her L.A. law firm, Kendra Ballantyne is now a freelance pet-sitter. When her clients start getting knocked off one by one, Kendra fears she's being set up. Aided by sexy detective Jeff Hubbard, she's got to find out why, and fast. This killer's animal instincts are downright dangerous.
Published January 4th 2005 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sit, Stay, Slay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sit, Stay, Slay

Tracy Weber
I very much enjoyed this cozy mystery starting a recently suspended lawyer forced to make ends meet by pet sitting. I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 simple because I got annoyed by the sleuth's constant yearning for the male client/PI she's housesitting for. There wasn't anything graphic, sex wise. Just thought too much energy in the book was spent angsting for it.
Julie H.
I'd really like to go 2.5 stars here, but am rounding down this time. The premise is cute, as are the animals, but the actual mystery--let alone the police procedural part--felt oversimplified to this reader, esp. Noralles' too two-dimensional nature. Also, so only Kendra is capable of proving her own innocence? Really? Yet she consistently inserts herself in situations where it could only be read as a conflict of interest and/or entirely self-serving. Moreover, in several instances Ballantyne's ...more
Phoebe
Jan 16, 2009 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Phoebe by: Linda O. Johnston
Fatima C
This book was about Kendra being a disaster.First by selling her hollywood house to some strangers.Then her new job is pet sitting and her life has gone to dogs.And when one of clients is knocked down by another one she is scared that she is being set up.But with the help of detective Jeff Hubbard she is going to find out what is up.Is she being set up?

I would recommend this book to young adults.Well because I don't think that some from age 10 and down would understand everything in the beside
Lyn
After a scandal at her law firm, Kendra Ballentyne’s license to practice law is suspended. In danger of losing her upscale Los Angeles home, she is forced to rent to a former reality show alumnus contestant. Kendra moves into the maid’s quarters.

The owner of Doggy Indulgence Pet Resort frequented by Lexie, her Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, recommends her for a job with his animal owning clients. In need of money and to keep from watching her new renters trash her home, Kendra agrees to a live-
Diane  Morasco
Meet Kendra Ballantyne & Lexie her adorable tricolor Cavalier King Charles spaniel.Kendra Ballantyne can no longer practice law. She was accused of providing a strategy memo to opposing counsel’s client. The client then killed the CEO of the corporation she was suing.Kendra insists that she in innocent, but she was forced to resign from her law firm and her law license was suspended for three months.As Kendra's finances started mounting she had to file for bankruptcy.

Fortuitously, she was a
Morgan
This mystery was pretty much a what you see is what you get. Former lawyer Kendra B. has gone from famous litigator to bankrupt has-been. The cause? Kendra claims she was framed for leaking private client information. To make it even worse, the client in question was killed due to the information leak. Kendra is forced to sell nearly all her possessions (save a BMW, every girl needs her BMW to survive) and rent her beautiful Hollywood home to a former reality tv star and boy toy. To add insult t ...more
Dharia Scarab
Really didn't enjoy this book, I picked up 3 or
4 books in this series at the thrift shop, so I'll give it another try but I'm not expecting it to get better.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I won't be reading any more from the au
Emmalee
I will give her some artistic leeway on the proper care of ball pythons and other reptiles as it's rather relevant to the plot, but GAHHHHHH. As a former reptile breeder and hobbyist who has bred pythons of various species...it's like she did half the research, some of it very well, and some of she threw out!

Otherwise, the mystery elements are very good.

bella
Sit, Stay Slay is the first book in the Pet Sitter Mystery series by Linda O. Johnston.

Kendra is left reeling after she her license to practice law is suspended. She takes on a temporary job as a pet sitter. However she soon gets herself in trouble with the law when her client's owners start to turn up dead.

I'm a pet owner (to two demanding felines) and I love reading mysteries that involve pets. As you can imagine I was very eager to start this series. For me, Sit, Stay, Slay started a little s
Sandy
I usually love cozies. I didn't love this one. It was boring. I actually fell asleep a couple of times while reading. (Which I almost NEVER do!)
I was frusterated with the story and just wished that I knew who did it already! I didn't enjoy the ride. What little it told about the police investigation led me to believe that there was none and that Kendra had to do her own investigating for there to be any at all. Speaking of Kendra, I didn't like her. I had no connection with her, nothing in commo
Susan
Enjoyable first installment of the pet-sitter series. Kendra is trying to get her life back together after she is framed for a unethical slip at her firm and her legal license is suspended. Friend Darryl has a successful pet-sitting business with an opening, and especially a great opening for a pet/house-sitter with decent refs. PI Jeff decides Kendra will do, which works for Kendra since she's had to rent her main house out to party animals - which is kinda painful to watch from her garage apar ...more
Mailis Viiand
It was written with the help of a handbook of how to write a mystery. Everything was in its place, but it didn't stand out in any way, everything was a bit bland, the story, the people, the mystery. Solution to the mystery came in the form of an easy way out, enter the culprit who wanted revenge because of improbable reasons that screamed of bad soap opera standard idea. Its like the author thought of a sticky situation, and imagined what would she do if that ever happened to her. And still the ...more
Candace Davidson
This was really enjoyable. This was suggested by Lisa a fellow cozy reader. This is the first time I have read this author. I look forward to read more of her books!
Lisa
2015 Reading Challenge - a book written by an author with your initials
Kathryn Johnson
Wow..I love when I get into a book like this one. Finished it in a day. Can't wait for the next one in the series.
Mkotch
Fairly well written but a bit repetitive and predictable. I suspect the series will improve.
Christy
Random pick from the library, cute mystery. Might read her again.
Crystal
Turns out I only like corny mysteries in 2 settings;
1) Audiobooks
2) While on vacation and lounging on the beach
Since I am no longer sitting on the beach, this book just could not hold my attention. I gave up after getting 1/3rd of the way through and wondering who someone was, only to look back and realize he was one of the main characters!
Erika
This was a likable story with good character development.

Kendra Ballantyne is a recently suspended litigator who gets work as a pet-sitter. It's going well, until one, and then two, of her clients are murdered and she becomes the prime suspect.

I can't tell, not familiar with the author, if this is the first story featuring Kendra. But the book cover refers to it as "A Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery."

The author has written other books, so I might check those out next time I'm at the libra
Jenn
This was a decent little read. I liked the main character well enough, but if I were her, I'd have stayed away from her former law office. I didn't puzzle out who had done it until very later in the book. I liked the interactions with the pets. I felt they kind of left it hanging with the people renting her house...what happened to them? I might read more of these if I happen across them at the used book store or something, but I won't go out of my way to read them.
Michelle
May 13, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes mysterys or dogs
I am currently reading Sit, Stay, Slay by Linda O. Johnston.

Sit, Stay, Slay
Linda O. Johnston
Detective Fiction
295 pages

Mary Z : )
I struggled with this one. The storyline wasn't all that exciting, but enough to keep me mildly interested. The kiss of death happened when I was about halfway through. As I was fighting to recall who the many suspects were, I realized I didn't care who did it. Sorry. Too many other books on my To Read list to muscle my way through to the end.
Anaala
I really couldn't get into this book. the characters and plot are just so bland and formulaic.

The things our heroine does are ridiculously irresponsible. I suppose that there isn't much realism to be had when it comes to cozy mysteries.

I did enjoy the bits where she was interacting with the pets.
Heather G
Sep 25, 2007 Heather G rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have trouble sleeping
This book really dragged for the first two-thirds, seemed to repeat the same day, day after day after day.... The last 50 pages or so were exciting. I didn't figure out the killer until the last chapter. Still, I won't waste my time reading any of the series that come after this one.
Sharal Hunter
Not bad first in a new to me series. I like the ex attorney now pet sitter theory and will be looking for the next book to read. Thought the ending was a little rushed and came out of left field but can look past it as I did enjoy the characters.
Janet
While I have a hard time working up sympathy for anyone who can afford to live in a gated home on Mulholland Drive, I found Kendra to be an extremely likeable—if somewhat annoying—heroine. Hopefully the next book in the series will be better.
Hien
Towards the beginning it was interesting and then I felt like the story wasn't going anywhere. But, so far its slowly moving. In my opinion, I wouldn't read the rest of the series.
Debbie
I enjoy the light mystery combined with dog-lovers humor. I found it fresh and enjoyable. The paradigm of pet-sitter as entry into the world where these crimes are committed was fun.
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Corpse Pose (Mantra for Murder Mystery #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery #1)
  • The Cat, The Quilt And The Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
Linda O. Johnston's first published fiction appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for Best First Mystery Short Story of the Year. Since then, Linda has had more short stories published, plus ten mysteries and eighteen romance novels.

Linda’s new Pet Rescue Mystery series for Berkley Prime Crime is a spinoff from her successful Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-
More about Linda O. Johnston...

Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery (9 books)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
  • Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3)
  • Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • Double Dog Dare (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #6)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1) Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2) Alpha Wolf (Alpha Force, #2) Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3) Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)