Start by marking “Austin and Emily” as Want to Read:
Austin and Emily

Austin and Emily

The last thing that canned ham salesman Austin MacAdoo expected to find when he took a seat in a strip joint in Tampa, Florida was love. The last thing that 23-year-old stripper Emily Dooley predicted on an average night was to walk away from her job and run off with a 347 pound stranger who was drinking milk punch at the bar. And yet, that's exactly what happens. Armed ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Austin and Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Austin and Emily

Holly
Jan 19, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I originally had 4 stars for this, but because the book was so quirky and fun yet thought-provoking, I decided it needed 5 stars. Austin is a 347 pound canned ham salesman, with a very dry sense of humor, and Emily is a beautiful stripper with a temper but simple worldview. They meet and immediately fall in love. I had the privilege of following them on their journey to the altar--and what a wacky ride it was.

This is a quick read and one I didn't want to put down. :)
Kelly
Nov 02, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Bizarre. Funny. The cover looked different than this and is what made me pick it up. I loved the crazy strange story. Fast, easy, entertaining story.
Jenn
Dec 19, 2012 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most memorable lines in this book are, sadly, not written by the author but rather, quoted from Erica Jong. Austin and Emily is the love story of an unlikely pair of starstruck lovers who fall in love at first sight and take an unnecessary journey with a jackass. So much of what happens seems gratuitous and nonsensical - why giant chickens? Why canned ham? It seems that so much of what is in the book is in there to be quirky. While it was entertaining enough, the thing I liked the most was ...more
Jessica
Jan 13, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Bizarre. Quick. Hilarious.
Austin and Emily is a book that some will smile as they put it down and some will hate for the waste of time; simply because of its simplicity! It's a light-hearted read based off of two very unlikely lovers and their not so likely companions. Personally, I liked the book because of its few laughs here and there, quirky characters, and their absurd situations. I wouldn't recommend this book to serious readers looking for a challenging piece, but I would recommend it for
Emily
Dec 30, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different love story, as the cover suggests. Austin is a 347 pound canned ham salesman and Emily is a former stripper. Emily sees Austin in the strip club and falls instantly in love with him. She asks him if he would like to take her away from all of this, and he of course, says yes. This begins their cross-country trip to Los Angeles.

This is more of a road trip novel than a romance novel. The characters are interesting and parts had me chuckling. It was a quick read and I am intere
Suzie Quint
Oct 12, 2012 Suzie Quint rated it liked it
You never know what to expect from Frank Turner Hollon. He's written some strange books. This is one of them, but I rather liked it. Still...the best part of the book was learning that they're making a movie of blood and circumstances, my all time favorite of his books. Can't wait.
Katy
Apr 05, 2013 Katy rated it it was ok
At first I thought it was funny. Then it was the same raunchy jokes over and over. Yeah the guy is fat. Yeah the other guy has a butt whistle. It got old half way through. The second book I ever didn't finish.
Douglas Anderson
Jul 08, 2012 Douglas Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who like the quirky, humorous fiction of Carl Hiaasen, you'll love reading Austin & Emily, the absurd story of an unlikely couple. A young, beautiful, and innocent stripper falls in love and runs away with a fat, socially awkward, but nonetheless lovable man, and a hilarious story ensues.
Fleming
Aug 10, 2012 Fleming rated it really liked it
Funny and bizarre the whole way through. Reminded me of A Confederacy of Dunces. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and easy read.
Alyssa
Jul 14, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
For those who like quirky characters, bizarre situations, and heart. I can imagine this book as an successful indie film.
Kristy
Apr 17, 2016 Kristy rated it liked it
This is more of a 3.5 for me. Liked the writing style and the characters were refreshingly original, but the story itself didn't really resonate with me. The end was really cute, though.
Julie
Nov 17, 2012 Julie rated it liked it

Enjoyed the dialog between the wacky characters especially Kenneth. Insightful, hilarious, and brilliant at points. Some parts were a bit too crude for my taste.
Julia
Oct 07, 2012 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky characters that we really do not get to know; expected zany plot.

Quick, fun read.

I'll most likely be reading more by this author.
Samantha Brasher
Samantha Brasher rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
rachel
rachel rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2012
Lore
Lore rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Kate Cook
Kate Cook rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Katie Fink
Katie Fink rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2012
Jolie
Jolie rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Jackie Guillermo
Jackie Guillermo rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Laura Buechler
Laura Buechler rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Frank Turner Hollon, a talented author, has works that vary from suspenseful novels, to short stories, to children’s books. Frank Hollon was born on July 24th, 1963 in Huntsville, Alabama. Although born in Alabama, Hollon soon became a Louisiana native when he moved to Slidell, Louisiana, or as he says “the ugliest town in America,” when he was 5 years old. Hollon attended Slidell High School and ...more
More about Frank Turner Hollon...