A Thousand Miles Up the Nile

A Thousand Miles Up the Nile

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Amelia Ann Blandford Edwards (1831-1892) was an English novelist, a journalist, a lady traveller and an Egyptologist. She published her first poem at the age of 7 and her first story at the age of 12. Amelia thereafter proceeded to publish a variety of poetry, stories and articles in a large number of magazines that included Chamber s Journal, Household Words and All the Y...more
Paperback, Illustrated Edition, 556 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1877)

Hend

لمسة الطبيعة الخلابة
تجعلك
تبحر فى زمن اخر وبعد اخر

"
عندما يسيقظ الانسان عند شروق الشمس ليرى تلك النخلات ذات اللون الاخضر المائل للرمادى خارج الن...more
Timothy Ferguson
Are these people sociopaths?

Seriously, the way these people behave toward the Arabs is just amazing...the bit where the baby is almost shot demonstrates just extraordinary lack of empathy.

A great book about Victorian tourists in Egypt. Their cluelessness is shocking.

Liz
A really fun travel book; that is, fun to read while travelling, even if one is not sailing up the Nile. I find it harder to complain about modern travel, for one thing.
One commenter called the book "slow". What, exactly, would you expect? It's a travel journal, after all: no plot, character development, conflict, climax, final reveal, et cetera.

There is, however, writing like this:
Now, although the most delightful occupation in life is undoubtedly sketching, it must be admitted that the sketch...more
Sandy
Oct 24, 2008 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people into Egyptology, Travel, Victorian Times, Archeology
This was a great book to read. I really enjoyed, for the most part, her descriptions of Egypt. It was very interesting to get a feel of what travel was like during the Victorian era. She really has a way of describing the landscape of Egypt and all of her travel adventures in the Victorian era in a very interesting and entertaining way. It takes a little to get into the Victorian style of writing, but it is quite enjoyable. One thing I found a little over-done were the descriptions of ruin sites...more
Kathy
Amelia Edward's account of her travels in Egypt, in the mid-1800s... that led her to become a leading Egyptologist.

I only read pieces of chapters of this book... and enjoyed them.... She gives a sort of documentary feel to her travels... explaining the history, the beauty, and the mechanics of how she traveled...

Although I know that much of her knowledge is incomplete & new information and theories have been put forth since these books were written, she does a very good job of theorizing ab...more
Lucy
She is fabulous. Some of her adventures and her opinions are truly outrageous, but none can argue that she was not committed to saving the antiquities in Egypt. I reread Elizabeth Peters's Crocodile on the Sandbank recently and was struck anew by how similar it is to this tale. So much fun! Amelia's "restoration" of Abu Simbel is particularly overwhelming. Nevertheless, it is a life that is gone from the Nile and there is a certain sadness in reading of it.
Roberta (Bobbie)
A woman, a boat, and an adventure set in Egypt 1880s. Amelia Edwards' account of her trip from Cairo to Aswan and beyond to the Second Cataract is strongest when describing the personal aspects of her trip. Her descriptions of many temples is a good "refresher course" but a bit tedious at times.
Kristina M.
Attempting to get my hands on a copy of this book from the public library, however I don't think it's been published since the 1890's...

In the meantime I'll be reading from here: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wome...

Thank goodness for public domain. :)
Gail Carriger
One of the best ways to get a feel for not just the Victorian behavior abroad but also what Egypt was like during the 1870s and the style of writing during this time. A must read for writers of historical fiction.
Judy
Dec 06, 2011 Judy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Having just returned from a trip up the Nile, I am loving this book! It is so readable and her descriptions are wonderful. Having trouble putting it aside to do the rest of my life, like work!!
Xdw
wonderful travel book from the mid nineteenth century! poignant description of portions of the nile now flooded by the high dam. she thought them the MOST beautiful.
Kay
A Victorian travel classic. Modern author Elizabeth Peters based her intrepid character Amelia Peabody on this real-life Victorian explorer/Egyptologist.
Anne
Nonfiction: an intrepid Victorian woman treks all over Egypt, digging into tombs in her long skirt, riding a camel - wish I could've known her.
Virginia

Somewhat interesting from both travel and egyptology angles but rather dry.
Elizabeth Krall
Sheer inspiration. I was filled with admiration for such an intrepid woman.
Alicia
I love this book. I am such a wanna be archeologist:)
Tom
Sep 14, 2013 Tom added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egypt, e
DT54 E26
Jaguar
Jaguar marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Dyscover
Dyscover marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Tom G Varik
Tom G Varik marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Cath
Cath marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
An English novelist, journalist, lady traveller and Egyptologist, born to an Irish mother and a father who had been a British Army officer before becoming a banker. Edwards was educated at home by her mother, showing considerable promise as a writer at a young age. She published her first poem at the age of 7, her first story at age 12. Edwards thereafter proceeded to publish a variety of poetry,...more
More about Amelia B. Edwards...
The Phantom Coach: Collected Ghost Stories Famous Ghost Stories (A Watermill Classic) All Saints' Eve Untrodden Peaks and Unfrequented Valleys Pharaohs, Fellahs and Explorers