Start by marking “Death of a Salesman: Certain Private Conversations in Two Acts and a Requiem (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating Details ·  134,999 Ratings  ·  3,042 Reviews
Arthur Miller’s Pulitzer Prize–winning play that forever changed the meaning of the American Dream and won multiple Tony Awards for the 2012 Broadway production directed by Mike Nichols and starring Philip Seymour Hoffman as the tragic hero Willy Loman and Andrew Garfield as his son Biff

Willy Loman, the protagonist of Death of a Salesman, has spent his life following the A
Published May 28th 1998 by Penguin Classic (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Salesman, please sign up.

Edward Richmond Why do you think so? You're making a pretty controversial claim, so it would be smart of you to give some actual reasons for your opinion.

See, I did…more

See, I did not enjoy this play, but I think it's not always necessary for me to enjoy literature. It's nice when literature is thought-provoking, powerfully emotional, and also enjoyable to read. But sometimes literature evokes emotional responses that nobody really enjoys. I think Death of a Salesman is a really good example of that.

So do I like it? Nope. Is it an important work that grapples with serious questions? Yep.

This play asks really hard questions. What's the American Dream? Is it worth chasing? Is there a right or wrong way to chase it? How should sons feel about fathers who disappoint them? What makes a father a success or a failure?

These are all worth discussion, and this play discusses these concerns at length.

Most people who don't like the play seem to have one of three objections. 1) They think it's depressing, 2) they think the characters are unlikable, or 3) they don't like Miller's conclusion that Willy's idea of success is both ethically and financially bankrupt, because it depends on people liking him, rather than on his actually being a good person or producing something of lasting value.

To which I almost always say: you don't have to like it for it to be good, or even great. Some kinds of art are great in a way that is pleasurable. But some art is great because it forces you to look at an ugly truth. This play is that kind of art.

I mean, seriously, what's to LIKE about this play? It's about a man who fails as a salesman because he relies on being liked, rather than on being good at sales, and who fails as a father because he taught his sons to value being likable and handsome instead of talented, hardworking or ambitious, and who finally decides that he's worth more dead than alive, because at least if he kills himself and makes it look like an accident, his wife and kids will get the insurance money.

It's a lengthy meditation on the meaning of success, both within the framework of the American Dream, and in terms of what it means to be a good husband, father, brother, or son.(less)
Kendall Moore As Richard says the forces of life are in the book itself. In my view, however, I think that the force that truly leveled Willy was his failure to…moreAs Richard says the forces of life are in the book itself. In my view, however, I think that the force that truly leveled Willy was his failure to conform to the impossibly high standards of societal masculinity.(less)

RachelAnne
Jun 18, 2007 RachelAnne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hate! Hate! Oh, the hate! Arthur Miller does a beautiful job of conveying the emptiness and meaninglessness of his protagonist's life. It left me wanting to jump off a very tall building if only I could overcome the crushing ennui and the conviction that even ending ones life was too meaningless and futile to contemplate. Maybe that means Miller accomplished what he set out to do, but I don't have to like it.
Melki
Jan 30, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
A small man can be just as exhausted as a great man.

There's something to be said for waiting until later in life to read certain books. The struggles of Willy Loman would have meant little to my younger, more impatient self.
Now, the huge amount of time Loman spends dreaming of his halcyon days strikes a chord with me.

Memory has a way of making everything seem bigger, brighter and better than it actually was.
People have a tendency to dwell on the past when the present turns out to be not as t
Brian Yahn
Jun 02, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dreams have a dark side, and Death of a Salesman makes that painfully obvious.

Willy Loman, like all of us, just wants to be successful. And although at the start of the play he's amounted to nothing but failure, it's not from bad intention, it's not from lack of trying, it's from his ignorance. Willy thinks that success is measured in wealth, and the key to that is being well-liked. But he tries to cheat his way to wealth (instead of work hard and learn from his mistakes), so he ends up with no
Nicci
Apr 04, 2007 Nicci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Arthur Miller's masterpiece, one finds the reason that Miller was blacklisted during the Red Scare. His undisguised longing for a break from the class system and his disdain for the so-called "American Dream" are nothing short of remarkable.

Within Willy Lowman resides the typical American Dream with no reality. Overtaken by industrialism and materialism, this character represents the absolute failure of society's promise of economic prosperity. His life ends in the most tragic and
Ahmed
Apr 30, 2016 Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الفاتنة مارلين مونرو وهي تقرأ المسرحية :

وفاة بائع متجوّل ..... آرثر ميللر

للحق : بريق آرثر ميللر بالنسبة لي يتمثل في نقطتين أساسيتين وهما :
الأولى منهما وهي ارتباطه بطيبة الذكر عطرة السيرة الجميلة دائمًا وأبدًا : مارلين مونرو ,وهي لها من البريق ما يغلب على أي شخص ارتبط بها , ورغم خيانته لها , إلا أنه يبقى من رائحتها .
والنقطة الثانية : أنه من القلائل الذين حرص نجيب محفوظ على الالتقاء به في زيارته للقاهرة , ومن النادرين الذي ذهب لهم محفوظ بنفسه لمقابلته وهذا لو تعلمون عظيم.

ومن كل ذلك فقد ارتبط ميللر
Michael
I really hate giving this book (well, play) one star. I hate giving any "classic" one star, for that matter. It must have gone down in history for a reason, and is beloved by many. In most classics like this, even if I don't like the story, characters, etc., I usually can find that "spark" that has made it so popular for so many years. But I can honestly say that I found no redeeming qualities in Death of a Salesman. None whatsoever. Sigh.

Maybe I would have been more comfortable actually seeing
Hamid Kazemzadeh
Aug 31, 2016 Hamid Kazemzadeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
چه نمایشنامه خوب و متفاوتی بود
FeReSHte
Feb 03, 2015 FeReSHte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to FeReSHte by: Sara Alaee
Shelves: play, america
این روزها انگار که از خوندن نمایشنامه خیلی لذت میبرم...مرگ یک فروشنده هم از اون شاهکارهای فوق العاده بود با یه ریتم معمولی شروع میشه ولی از یه جایی به بعد رها کردنش ناممکن

کل اثر رو میخونید تا انگار که همه جوانب تناقض سیستم سرمایه داری با طبیعت بشری رو لمس کنید...مرد فروشنده ای که تا سالم و جوان و پرانرژی بود خواسته میشد ولی حالا که بیشتر از هر وقت دیگه ای به کمک و حمایت احتیاج داره بی رحمانه از سیستم کنار گذاشته میشه...بی توجه به همه ی عواقب ریز و درشتی که با مرگ و زندگیش سر و کار داره

رفت و برگش
Miss Ravi
خیلی دلم میخواهد یک اجرای خوب از این نمایش را ببینم، بیشتر به دلیل ساختار آن. تماشای جابهجایی زمان در صحنه تئاتر باید جالب باشد. همهی جذابیت «مرگ فروشنده» برای من در همین تاریکروشن صحنه است. اینکه کسی از گذشته میآید، نور صحنه او را روشن میکند و باز در تاریکی فرو میرود. داستان، چندان پرکشش نیست. به ویژه اینکه همه میدانیم ویلی بیچاره قرار است بمیرد. استعداد خودکشی هم که دارد پس پایان از همان عنوان هویداست. اما در هم فرو رفتگی زمان است که در کنار گره گشودن از تعدادی ابهام، نمایشنامه را جذاب میکند. ...more
Parastoo sahebi
Feb 08, 2016 Parastoo sahebi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"تنها چیزی ک توی دنیا داری اون چیزیه ک می تونی بفروشی.خوشمزه اینه ک تو یه فروشنده هستی و از این واقعیت پیش پا افتاده بی اطلاعی."
چ غم ملموس و بی اغراقی داشت این کتاب.
تحلیل روابط غم انگیز خانوادگی،در سایه ی بی پولی و بی کاری. پدری ک برای پسرانش آرزوهای واهی و جاه طلبانه در سر دارد،تمام عمر بی دلیل ب آن ها افتخار می کند وآنان را ب عرش می رساند در نهایت هم نمی تواند واقعیت را بپذیرد. تحقیر متقابل پدر و پسر.
ویلی دیگر زمان حال برایش جذابیتی ندارد.پیر شده و آرزوهایش فروریخته ونمی تواند مثل قبل کار کند
D.B. Woodling
Aug 17, 2016 D.B. Woodling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Audiences that appreciate exceptional writing and the human conditiion
Arthur Miller, one of the greatest playwrights to date, captures the frailty that is the human condition in his Pulitzer Prize-winning-drama, Death of a Salesman. The main character, Willy Loman, epitomizes the average hardworking male, manically struggling to fulfill unattainable dreams.

Loman now reaching the age of retirement and coming to terms with his physical limitations, Miller’s superior use of dialogue easily conveys Willy's gut-wrenching urgency to pass the baton to his disinterested
Sara Alaee
Jan 26, 2015 Sara Alaee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, play
“Death of a salesman” is an amazing classic in its true sense. It’s gripping, moving, touching and painful. In a world where everybody’s judged by his/her material accomplishments and investments, this profound piece of literature may be an alarming notion that what matters is not necessarily what one seeks or desires. Life’s merely a matter of living for the sake of others: A man is useful as long as he contributes to the society and useless once he stops. In such society there is no motivation ...more
Jonathan
"I don't say he's a great man. Willie Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid. He's not to be allowed to fall in his grave like an old dog. Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person."

Attention, attention must finally be paid... So sounds out Arthur Miller's cry to observe that every individual, every human being must
Farnoosh Farahbakht
با یک نگاه به اطراف یا حتی به خودمون "فروشنده هایی"رو میبینیم که هر روز در حال مرگ هستند."فروشنده هایی" که برای رسیدن به یک زندگی رویایی هر روز زیر بار قرض ، قسط و استرس آینده له میشن و دیگه فرصتی نیست برای زندگی
نمایشنامه "مرگ فروشنده" داستان تنهایی و درماندگی مردی است که سال ها برای رسیدن به خوشبختی در یک جامعه صنعتی و سرمایه داری دویده و حالا که پیر و از کار افتاده شده در خلا و بدون هیچ پشتوانه ای رها میشه و اونقدر خوب تصویر سازی شده که در حین خوندنش صحنه ها خیلی شفاف توی ذهن مجسم میشه
Anastasia シ
never again!
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
4/5

This book was better than I thought it would be. I was expecting a boring and easy read but what I got was very different. There was action even though you wouldn't really think that those scenes were that exciting. The characters were also really interesting.

I felt bad for Willy at his determination to keep pursuing his dream of being a salesman despite his lack of success. I also was sad about how he truly didn't see his mistakes or reality. He had so many flashbacks and they interfered wit
Brian
Jul 10, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its the classical American tragedy...an anthesis to the cliched American dream.
Simona
Feb 03, 2016 Simona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omul nu este un fruct căruia să-i mănânci miezul şi apoi să-i arunci coaja”, îi strigă disperat bătrânul comis voiajor foarte tânărului său patron, în scena concedierii sale.
Venit să ceară o mică favoare în schimbul zecilor de ani de loialitate şi muncă asiduă în slujba companiei, în loc înţelegere şi ajutor se pomeneşte alungat definitiv şi cu brutalitate.
Piesa lui Arthur Miller pune reflectoarele pe drama nefericitului personaj Willy Loman nu doar la slujbă, pe scena sălbaticei lumi a aface
míol mór
If you want money in your pocket
And a top hat on your head
A hot meal on your table
And a blanket on your bed

Well today is grey skies
Tomorrow is tears
You'll have to wait til yesterday is here

Well I'm going to New York City
And I'm leaving on a train
And if you want to stay behind
And wait til I come back again

Well today is grey skies
Tomorrow is tears
You'll have to wait til yesterday is here

If you want to go where the rainbows end
You'll have to say goodbye
All our dreams come true baby up ahead
And it'
Thomas
When I finished reading this book in my AP Literature class, I literally cheered, clapped, and high-fived my friends sitting next to me. The cycle of complete despair had been broken! My soul could now sing a song of optimism and joy!

Before I read this book, I still had a sliver of doubt in my mind. The doubt that I should include a myriad more classics to my reading list, that my brain would rot and rupture under the strain of contemporary fiction.

No. Just, no. The reason I'm giving Death of a
فهد الفهد
موت بائع متجول

يبدو أنني حصرت نفسي في شكل وحيد من أشكال الأدب وهو الرواية، لا أدري كيف؟ ولا لماذا؟ ولكني أعرف أن قراءاتي في الرواية تفوق قراءاتي في الشعر والقصص القصيرة والمسرح.

بعدما قرأت هذه المسرحية، وضعت يدي على إجابة ترضيني، في جزء من السؤال، وهو لمَ لا اقرأ في المسرح؟ لأن قراءته بكل بساطة ناقصة، لقد كتبت المسرحية لتمثل، فلذا قراءتها ستكون ناقصة دائماً.

هذه المسرحية صعبة القراءة، يتداخل فيها الماضي والحاضر، لنعيش مأساة ويللي لومان، البائع المتجول، وهو شخصية أبدع آرثر ميلر في صياغتها، كما أب
Ahmad Sharabiani
Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller
عنوان: مرگ فروشنده - نمایشنامه در دو پرده؛ اثر: آرتور میلر؛ برگردان: عطاءالله نوریان؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، انتشارات پویا، 1351، در 213 ص
Mohammed Bantan
Jul 06, 2008 Mohammed Bantan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Death of a Salesman” tells the a story of Love, pride, betrayal and friendship. The struggle of William Loman (Willy), an old salesman in the unforgiving world of modern business, and his relation with his loved ones, his wife Linda and his precious sons, Biff and Harold (happy).
The novel is written in an interesting and unique way, as if all the events happened on a theatrical stage with all of the lighting effects, character themes and background . The author wrote the story in great detail
Madeline
I think I would've enjoyed seeing this play performed in person, rather than reading the script. This is supposed to be one of the best American plays ever written, and I'm sure that seeing it onstage is a very different experience.
As it is, though, I only read the script, and was disappointed. I know I was supposed to sympathize with the characters, but to do that I first had to like them, which didn't really happen. Willy was thick-headed, his sons were morons, and Linda was so utterly useles
Roberto
May 22, 2016 Roberto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Non c’è niente di seminato nel mio pezzetto di terra, il mio giardino è senza piante

Ho scoperto assolutamente per caso questo brevissimo “Morte di un commesso viaggiatore”, che è una delle opere teatrali più famose del dopoguerra americano. Apparentemente semplice e breve, è in realtà abbastanza complessa per la sua struttura, gestione dei tempi e analisi psicologica dei personaggi.

Willy Loman è un mediocre commesso viaggiatore e, come molti altri in America in quel periodo, vive credendo che so
Sonya
Sep 11, 2016 Sonya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
این نمایشنامه مثالی از زندگی مردی است که در بحران میان سالی غوطه ور است. از طرفی قادر به تامین نیازهای مادی خانواده خود نیست و از طرف دیگر شاهد ناتوانی های جسمی خود است. دو فرزند پسرش که در واقع ثمره ی زندگی او هستند هنوزدر دنیای سرمایه داری سردرگم بوده و قادر به تامین نیازهای خود نیستند.
در این میان همسر او که به وصله کردن جورابها پناه آورده در تلاش برای بهبود روحیه ی مرد و حفظ اعتماد به نفس او می باشد
بسیاری از منتقدین این نمایشنامه را اعتراضی به نظام سرمایه داری و قوانین غیر انسانی آن می دانند
Cassidy
Jun 16, 2012 Cassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I really liked this play. Let me tell you why!

First off, the characters are incredibly human. I felt each of them were real people and I was getting a glimpse into their very dysfunctional lives. The father blindly admires his son to the point of idolization. But the problem is, his son is nowhere close to the person he dreams of. This, inversely, leaves a feeling of disappointment in the man who had so much potential.

Maybe I'm a biased reviewer, because I strongly related to Biff's character.
Philip
Jul 07, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, americana, plays
4ish stars.

Well that was depressing. And frustrating. I wanted to gut punch almost every character eleven times or so. I pitied them and wanted to shout at them and despised them. I guess that's how I know this was a well-written play with well-written characters. During the horror movies my wife makes me watch, when the idiot protagonists make stupid decisions that end in their demise, I just roll my eyes and secretly go back to the book I'm reading under my blanket. With these guys I genuinely
Leonard
Dec 13, 2014 Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller examines the American Dream through conflicts in the Loman family. Willy Loman epitomizes the disillusioned, having great dreams but suffering a dead end job and an ordinary life, and so transferring his dreams to his elder son Biff. Biff is the realist who accepts his limitations and despite trying to satisfy his father, only wants to be a farmhand. On the other hand, Happy the dreamer after his father, lusts for success and is willing to achieve it through ...more
Kamran
Mar 17, 2015 Kamran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هر آنچه قصد داشتم در باب آرتور میلر و مرگ فروشنده بنویسم،بسیار کامل تر و منسجم تر در این مقاله از علی فرهادی پور به رشته تحریر درامده است

نگاهی به زندگی آرتور میلر و نمایشنامه مرگ فروشنده
  • The Iceman Cometh
  • The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?
  • Buried Child
  • Fences (The Century Cycle #6)
  • Glengarry Glen Ross
  • A Streetcar Named Desire and Other Plays
  • "Master Harold"...and the boys
  • The Children's Hour
  • Topdog/Underdog (TCG Edition)
  • Krapp's Last Tape and Other Dramatic Pieces
  • Our Town
  • Extravagance
  • Biloxi Blues
  • King Henry IV, Part 1 (Wars of the Roses, #2)
  • Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches
  • Fires in the Mirror
Arthur Asher Miller was an American playwright and essayist. He was a prominent figure in American literature and cinema for over 61 years, writing a wide variety of plays, including celebrated plays such as The Crucible, A View from the Bridge, All My Sons, and Death of a Salesman, which are still studied and performed worldwide. Miller was often in the public eye, most famously for refusing to g ...more
More about Arthur Miller...

“Why am I trying to become what I don’t want to be … when all I want is out there, waiting for me the minute I say I know who I am.” 195 likes
“The jungle is dark but full of diamonds, Willy.” 124 likes