Start by marking “Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love” as Want to Read:
Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love

Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Each of Lara Vapnyar's six stories invites us into a world where food and love intersect, along with the overlapping pleasures and frustrations of Vapnyar's uniquely captivating characters. Meet Nina, a recent arrival from Russia, for whom colorful vegetables represent her own fresh hopes and dreams . . . Luda and Milena, who battle over a widower in their English class wi ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Food-Related Fiction
129th out of 334 books — 443 voters
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMedium Raw by Anthony BourdainHeat by Bill BufordThe Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones
Great Books about Food
47th out of 164 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob
In "A Bunch of Broccoli on the Third Shelf," Nina stocks the refrigerator with vegetables but never has time to cook; but when a sudden change in her life gives her all the time she needs, a different problem arises. In "Borscht," a lonely Russian emigrant finds more comfort in a stranger's cooking than in the sex she offers. Two women--"Luda and Milena"--employ food as their weapons as they fight for the attention of the same man, while others, in three other stories, try to adapt to their new ...more
Tanya
I feel bad giving a mostly negative review to creative work produced by a fellow Soviet expat, but that is also the very reason why I *must* give an honest, not so glowing review.

Initially, I was compelled to pick up this collection of stories because I like reading fiction about the immigrant experience, especially if it's written by someone who shares a lot of the same memories and experiences that I do, having come to the States from Russia in 1993.

I was more than a little disappointed by t
Daisy
What I learned from this book: Chop garlic, chop parsley, mix together with salt, put in a bowl, add hot borscht. See recipe chapter--it's funny.

Well I liked these stories much better than Memoirs of a Muse: A Novel, which I barely remember. Funny that usually the first and last stories of a collection are placed to be the most powerful or poignant, but I liked the middle stories best, especially Borscht. A quick read and a cute premise: Eastern European immigrants in New York and their nostalgi
Stephen
I bought this book of short stories for two reasons: (1) it has "broccoli" in its title and (2) the author's first name is "Lara" and I liked that character in Boris Pasternak's "Doctor Zhivago," especially as she was played by Julie Christie in the 1965 movie. To say that a collection of Russian short stories about Eastern European émigrés living in America is sad is perhaps to be redundant. Vapnyar wanders around the intersection between food and love, as she promises to do in the collection's ...more
Frances
It took me awhile to hunt down Lara Vapynar’s short stories “Broccoli and Other Tales of Food and Love.” It is a short collection and one I never felt I was able to sink my teeth into, despite the subjects.

Vapynar is a Russian immigrant and the tales she tells are those of other immigrants. Food has obvious cultural significance and in each story the characters are trying to connect with or rediscover some part of themselves through the dishes they create and consume. The familiarity of a dish o
Yuzhi
A savory book, only wish it was longer. Each short story was like a well-crafted puff pastry, the layers just keep coming off, revealing a flavorful center worth thinking about for days. My favorite is the one titled Luda and Milena; the ending was just too much black humor. First published in The New Yorker, it was funny but also bleak.
Lai-san
Not bad, but somewhat forgettable. I found some of the story endings a bit pat, but she still has a strong knack for description and touching situations. I haven't tried any of the recipes included, but I now do want to eat borscht for the first time ever.
Crystal
This was a fun collection of short stories, all food-related, all with Russian immigrant characters. I'm not usually a short-story fan, but each of these was satisfying enough, maybe because I love reading about food and culture and love.
Liz
This book confuses me. I didn't particularly LIKE it, it was full of sadness and unfulfilled people living their lives halfway between our beautiful country and theirs. But I felt like I understood another class or another type of person so much better than when I began. Isn't that partially what books are supposed to do? Put us so completely in another person's shoes? I didn't like it, but I was so compelled by it, its hard not to feel a bit changed when you put it down.

Highly recommended for
Erika
I want to make more Russian salads. . .
Sue Russell
Sue Russell - Library Journal

This collection by Vapnyar (Memoirs of a Muse) follows up her first collection, There Are Jews in My House, which won the Prize for Jewish Fiction by Emerging Writers from the National Foundation for Jewish Culture in 2004. Among the growing number of writers, including David Bezmozgis and Ellen Litman, who use eloquence and sardonic wit to capture the experience of Eastern European immigrants from the Communist bloc resettling in American cities, Vapnyar is one of t
Derek Emerson

Lara Vapnyar has a fascination with food, although not of the type usually written about and praised. Vapnyar's selection of food resembles her approach to fiction, which is simple, straightforward, and sustaining. Her first collection of short stories ("There are Jews in My House") showed the promise of a gifted story writer, and this second collection (a novel was published in between) confirm earlier expectations. The Russian born writer, now living in New York, came to the U.S. when she was
Nesa Sivagnanam
These six short stories all feature Russian immigrants to the United States who eat together and whose lives are depressing with occasional moments of joy.

Nina's husband, a talented musician, leaves her. She's alone with the fresh vegetables she always buys but never cooks until she meets a man who loves to cook and finds a touch of redemption.

Sergey goes to a prostitute, to his shame, but sees the wife and mother in her as she makes him borscht.

Katya discovers her own beauty and shares the ex
AC
Vapnyar returns to a short stories, after a novel as the follow up to the excellently done There are Jews In My House, with a collection focusing on Russian immigrants and food. It is an interesting approach, a themed collection that isn't really about the theme. As before with her short stories, she rarely wastes sentences, making everything count and contribute. Aside from the tragically awful 'Borscht' (which is throughout a major misstep and only near the end begins to show a glimmer of the ...more
Alsy
I find Russian authors terribly depressing and I mean that in the best possible way. They have a knack for churning out stories about love and loss in the most beautiful, poetic fashion. Vapnyar does all of this by making food the focal point that brings all her characters to life and connects them to their homeland, mother Russia. From a dissatisfied blue collar man who finds comfort in borscht rather than a night of passion with a call girl to two old women who fight over a man with a final me ...more
Douglas Tatelman
Ms Vapnyar writes beautiful prose. Her stories are sweet and well crafted. Plus you get an insight into the world of Russian emigrants and the challenges they face.

However, the lack of excitement or tension or even humor means I won't be searching for her other works.
Liz
Jun 04, 2008 Liz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
From the NYT Dining section!
"In “Luda and Milena,” two Russian-born women in their 70s compete for a man in their English language class, each elbowing the other aside with platters of spinach pie and cheese puffs. The man finally chokes to death on the day that both women make Russian meatballs: juicy patties enriched with cream-soaked bread, onion and garlic, and fried until crusty and brown. It is, however, impossible to know from the story which woman’s meatball was the fatal instrument."
Aloke
Several short and funny stories. Some sex. Then recipes. What more do you want?
Vicky
A collection of funny short stories based on Russian migrant's experience in America. The author talks about alienation, nostalgi and isolation. Her stories sad and light at the same time. Her heroes are pensioners at the Language Centers, young women turned between the parents expectations and the call of a new life and parents struggling with depression after the loss of status and selfworth.
wild pear
A fun, fascinating, poignant, and sometimes funny collection of short stories set among the Russian ex-pat community in the U.S. Vapnyar's writing is a joy to read: keenly observant, evocotive, and efficient. Her characters are so real they seem to join you in the room, and the food she weaves into her tales takes the mundane and makes it seem tasty and new. Thoroughly enjoyed this quick read.
Leslie
A decent selection of stories that demonstrate how people use food to connect with others. The stories were more meaningful because my husband is a Russian immigrant (though not a computer programmer). Vapnyar is strongest when she does humor (my favorite story is "Luda and Milena"), and I'm adding a half star just for the recipes at the end.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Janieh Hermann
A book of quirky, captivating short stories that will be enjoyed by foodies.
Jessica
This is a quick read and I enjoyed it. All of these short stories revolve around food and relationships. Each story is about characters who are Russian immigrants in USA or who are working there. I found that the stories have a yearning quality as most of the main characters experience loneliness and isolation from others.
Rachel
A series of short stories which use food as the basis of relationships, the author provides a unique view into new immigrants' lives in NYC. Given that these are short stories I shouldn't be surprised that some of the characters lacked development, nevertheless I enjoyed the read. It is a perfect before bed book.
Shana
’s a very small book of short stories revolving around food and Russian/Eastern European immigrants. I adore food memoirs but this fell flat and was just barely entertaining. There was potential, but I didn’t feel that the stories were fleshed out enough. Perhaps they could have stood to be a bit longer.
Brian Lowery
A nice collection of short stories that follow the lives of Russian immigrants and their interactions with food and love. The stories flow together, leaving the reader thinking about the curious combination of food and how it plays a part in each of the stories' romance between the characters.
Dania
I really love reading modern fiction by Russian, Russian-American, and Russian Jewish writers. This is the second book I've read by Vapnyar, and it describes Russian immigrant experiences in America. Some are funny, and some are sad, but they are all well-written.
Lil' Grogan
2.5 stars. Snapshots of lives. Food is used as a trigger, as an accomplice, as comfort. But, I felt for the most part that I wanted something more substantial to chew on (heh). Liked "Luda and Milena" the best for its cattiness and humour. Mostly, unmemorable.
Moishy
Refreshingly Russian, however it seems that the storys where like she read a how to guide on short stories. none the less it is still a great book, i read it in one sitting, and there are receipes in the back relating to the stories.
Judith
Not useful for my purposes.
Broccoli discussions 1 9 Jan 11, 2010 03:08PM
  • The Last Chicken in America: A Novel in Stories
  • One More Year: Stories
  • Petropolis
  • Rancid Pansies
  • The Homecoming Party
  • America Eats!: On the Road with the WPA - the Fish Fries, Box Supper Socials, and Chitlin Feasts That Define Real American Food
  • 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late: and the Very Best Places to Eat Them
  • Under the Table: Saucy Tales from Culinary School
  • The Eternal Philistine
  • Hometown Appetites: The Story of Clementine Paddleford, the Forgotten Food Writer Who Chronicled How America Ate
  • It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: My Adventures in Life and Food
  • Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
  • Happy Trails to You: Stories
  • How This Night Is Different: Stories
  • New Addresses
  • Death by Pad Thai: And Other Unforgettable Meals
  • In Case We're Separated: Connected Stories
  • Quiet Americans
Lara Vapnyar emigrated from Russia to New York in 1994 and began publishing short stories in English in 2002. She lives on Staten Island and is pursuing a Ph.D. in comparative literature at CUNY Graduate Center.
More about Lara Vapnyar...
Memoirs of a Muse: A Novel There Are Jews in My House The Scent of Pine Katania Fischer vs. Spassky