Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Anna Thomas’s Vegetarian Epicure cookbooks have sold millions of copies and inspired generations. Now she describes her love affair with the ultimate comfort food. “From my kitchen to yours,” Thomas says, “here are the best soups I’ve ever made.” Her wonderfully creative recipes make use of fresh, seasonal produce—try black bean and squash soup in the fall, smoky eggplant...more
Published August 25th 2009 by W.W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Love Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Soup

Laurie
Apr 08, 2010 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Soup Lovers! Fans of Fresh Ingredients!
Shelves: delectable
After receiving this book for Christmas, I officially declared 2010 The Year of Soup. It's actually only been the past couple of years that I've been eating soup, and only a few different ones at that. I've loved the idea of soup however: simple, nourishing, comforting & timeless. Creating soup was a revelation for me. For the first seven weeks of the year, we made a different one every week, usually with homemade stock & fresh homemade bread. It makes me feel a bit frontiersy and connec...more
Karen
This is probably my favorite soup book so far, and I have many. I've been making the Parsley Soup frequently from the Green Soups section and it's superb. You'd think a "green soup" might be a turn-off, but the flavor is wonderful. The soups are made with a minimal amount of oil so you can drizzle fresh olive oil on top of each serving right before eating. It's part of the recipe, it finishes the soup. I love this way of thinking about olive oil as a seasoning. The material in the intro is infor...more
Lisa
Dec 14, 2009 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This is the new book in my cookbook collection. I think it's because as soon as the weather hinted it's autumnal crispness to come I started craving soup in a big way.

I've been browsing through this and so far I think it's very approachable and I really love that it's separated into seasons. So I can focus on the fall and winter soups for the next few months and go to my winter farmer's market and use what I see there. The author is very flexible in some of the ingredients and offers a variety...more
Cherie
A+ I adored this cookbook (sorry about the original wrong review!). This is full of amazingly delicious soups (soups are my favourite thing to cook) - and all of them vegetarian! I put this book on my "to own" list b/c it is so absolutely wonderful. I want to try all of these recipes...! YUM!
Deborah Ward
I'm marking this "read" but a more appropriate status would be "constantly referenced" as it is second only to Joy of Cooking on my go to list of cookbooks!

I'm not a vegetarian and as such I assert that this cookbook has wide appeal. The recipes are arranged seasonally, offering cooks' insight into excellent use of fresh seasonal ingredients. Beyond that this book offers two large "plusses"

First - its a delightful read. The authors love of food, sharing her creations with those she loves and th...more
Catherine Woodman
This cookbook kind of reminds me of the saying "do you ever forget your first love?" No, not in my case--he was a rangy Olympic butterflier and undoubtedly not good for me, but I adored him. And my first cookbook love was the Vegetarian Epicure, which I still cook from with some regularity and is the source of my signature dish, Macaroni and Cheese. Anna Thomas wrote that book when she was in college, and she hasn't written a whole lot since--but this one is really nice. I have two cookbooks tha...more
penny
While today is the winter solstice, it is most definitely soup weather, but then in my opinion every day is soup weather. I found this title on quite a few vegetarian food blogs. I placed a hold for it at the library and waited.

If I had known it was this good I don't think I could have.

I love the easy intro and I feel the passion and easy approach she takes to cooking. I love that she asks you to take these as inspiration and tweak them to be your recipes. I love that there aren't photos to di...more
Beth
This is a new classic from Anna Thomas, who wrote the Vegetarian Epicure. I first cooked from Vegetarian Epicure in the '80s before I ever dreamed of becoming vegetarian. She writes wonderful recipes for anyone who wants to try them. This updated version is wonderful. She has taken some of the excess fat out of recipes such as her Corn and Cheddar Chowder and kept the taste.

Currently, I manage the kitchen at a small ashram. While I cook "intuitively" and tend to follow a recipe only the first t...more
Kiran
This is by far one of the best vegetarian cookbooks I've come across. Recipes are well explained and the author includes several suggestions on variations, substitutions and quick ways to turn soups into a meal. The overall layout of the book is well thought out by seasonality (spring, fall, summer), type (bean soups, squash soups, green soups - kale, spinach etc.) or occasion. Vegan recipes are clearly marked and I especially appreciate the section on soup accompaniments (quick breads, rolls, b...more
Melissa
I love everything I've made from this cookbook. I never understood what people meant when they talked about layered tastes - I made a black bean squash soup that was complex and definitely layered. Delicious! The soups are filling even when they are just vegetables, you will not be hungry later in the day. I know, a surprise to me too. The only thing I don't care for is that somehow every pot and pan in my kitchen must make an appearance when I'm cooking from this book. It seems like a small pri...more
Caroline
Anna Thomas is my favorite cookbook writer. I have all of her cookbooks, but this one, by far is my favorite. I am primarily a baker, but soup is my favorite thing to cook, so when I saw that Anna Thomas wrote a soup cookbook, I just had to have it. There are so many recipes and I have only tried a handful, but they have been really great and so flavorful/filling. My favorite is the Green Soup recipe (and all its variations). I tend to keep Green Soup on hand for a quick, healthy lunch.
Binet
I've tried several soups from this book so far, and they have all been outstanding. My favorite so far has been the Charred Zucchini with Yogurt, followed closely by the Summer Minestrone. Her recipe writing style is both friendly and explicit. I would recommend to heed her warning about adding heat slowly when working with new chilies. I have a fairly high spice (heat) tolerance, but I believe her taste is much higher.
Bee
My new favorite soup cookbook. I love it! I especially love how Anna Thomas breaks her recipe sections down seasonally. I've made two of the soup recipes so far and both were fabulous. I'm not a vegetarian but I eat meatless a lot of the time and I like how vegetable-centric these are, as I find it especially challenging to eat my veggies during wintertime. Plus these recipes are easy to add meat to, if you should so desire.
Emily
Not only is this my favorite soup cookbook, but I'm pretty sure it's my favorite cookbook, period. Anna Thomas is brilliant. While some of these recipes are time-consuming, they're very approachable, and I have yet to find a dud among them (and I've probably cooked 25-30 of them at this point!) Also, I doubt I ever would have tried to make green soup without the encouragement of this book, but it is a-mazing.
Katie
To be fair, I haven't actually made any of these soups or breads yet, but I totally want to! If only I could get over my lazy/impatient attitude of wanting dinner to be preparable in under 10 minutes. :( I loved the cozy, narrative style of this cookbook. Only time will tell if I can manage actually pulling off any of the complex-looking recipes.
Dani
Sep 09, 2010 Dani rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who only cook with fresh ingredients
Shelves: cookbooks-read
While the author's attitude inspired me to get in the kitchen, the recipes contained items that I never see in my local grocery store. The book is sectioned into warm-weather and cool-weather soups, so it would be great for someone who shops by the seasons. I would recommend this book to someone who has easy access to a farmer's market.
Have made two soups so far (basic lentil and split pea). The lentil was good but not as good as Deborah Madison's from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The split pea wasn't great. But I do love the section on accompaniments - the quick oatmeal bread was divine! Am looking forward to trying more recipes.
Jen
trying to add more veggies to my everyday...and i flippin' love soup. this was just okay for me recipe-wise, as there are not many that i really feel compelled to whip up. i do, however, really love her cookbook-writing style and some of the desserts and side salads and breads sound really good.
Kate
One of my all-time favorite veg cookbooks. Very produce-centric and every recipe turns out stellar! Plus, the recipes are very well written -- I'm always astonished at how she lays out your soup-cooking timeline to a T so you can cook fantastic soup in a timely fashion!
Renee
Lovely recipes, and I even managed to find a perfect summer farmer's market soup. I am not a person who normally enjoys soup in the warmer weather, though, so I cannot wait for fall to arrive so I can get full use out of the wonderful cookbook!
Mandy
I have the feeling that the 'cold soup' section will be used frequently this summer. i've tried the cold peach and nectarine soup with strawberry sauce--yum. Like a smoothly but with more chunks
Annie
Best soup recipes ever!!! Every soup I have made in this book is delicious. All the recipes are vegetarian and will make a huge pot of soup, perfect for freezing or sharing with friends.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This book is a keeper. I looked at it thinking well maybe I will find a few recipes I want to try. Actually I want to try half the book and more. Will be buying this one.
Dayna
Received this book for Christmas. Flipped though and I love the way it is laid out based on weather. So many good ideas inside. I look forward to testing some new soups real soon.
Khinna
I LOVE soup, and this book is just that and much more. I have borrowed this from the public library several times. I don't know why I haven't bought the book yet.
Ehrrin
So far I've made Cauliflower Bisque with Buttered Breadcrumbs (p. 169) and Creamy Potato and Roasted Garlic Soup (p. 80). Both winners! I love Anna Thomas!
Deb
Love, love, love "Love, Soup" and all of Anna Thomas' books. A great veggie soup book. All of the recipes I have tried have been delicious.
Hannah
Oct 01, 2009 Hannah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Perfect timing, Anna Thomas--the beginning of soup season. I hope I can get my hands on this before it's too hot to make soup again.
Tamara
I'm going to try the Chard & Yam soup and the Great Pumpkin Soup. Always looking for ways to make chard and pumpkin a bit more palatable.
Sarcomical
this is like a bible to me! delicious recipes that really connect you to the ingredients. helps with seasonal shopping, as well.
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source with More Than 200 Recipes for a Healthy and Sustainable You
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • 660 Curries
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
Anna Thomas is the author of The Vegetarian Epicure cookbooks and a screenwriter. She lives in Ojai, California."
More about Anna Thomas...
Vegetarian Epicure Vegetarian Epicure Book Two The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends From Anna's Kitchen: Plain and Fancy Vegetarian Menus (Penguin Cookery Library) Fire and Water: A Safe Journey Through Multiple Personality Disorder