Whispers

Whispers

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  20,541 ratings  ·  335 reviews
For thirty-five years, Bruno Frye has lived in the shadow of the mother who made his heart beat with constant fear. And even though she died five years ago, the whispers still haunt him in the dark…enough to make him kill—and kill again… Hilary Thomas is one of his intended victims. And she’s about to learn that even death can’t keep a bad man down…
Published June 27th 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 1980)

Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
21st out of 69 books — 654 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
185th out of 1,126 books — 3,351 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Another crazy mother who mentally destroys her children, so that, in their adulthood, they're homicidal and unbalanced, yet still walking free in society like everyone else.

Hilary survives an attack by an assailant she recognizes, and finds that her plea to the police is met by doubt, as the attacker has an alibi. The second attack on Hilary becomes bloody for the attacker, and the police are finally able to verify Hilary's need to call for help.

The surprise in this story wasn't Hilary, or her s...more
Michael
There's not a lot I know about rugby, or Apartheid. I watched a Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon movie though, where Morgan Freeman is portraying Nelson Mandela, and while touring the prison where he was held captive, or while talking to Matt Damon about how important winning a sporting event is for a country's sense of validity, he mentions a poem he had memorized. A few lines of a poem, or a whole poem, I don't remember. Apparently it was profound enough and simple enough that repetition and mono...more
Janie Johnson
This book started out so intense it made me wanna put it down for a breather, but also made me wanna keep reading because I could barely tear my eyes away. I love the intense adrenalin laced stories, So eh, call me a thrill seeker.

Koontz did a great job with his characters, I learned a lot about them accept for Bruno. You really don't get to know too much about him at the beginning of the story. I felt like I kinda had to throw pieces together to make it all work together. I would have liked to...more
Paul Dinger
It is early Dean Koontz and you can see a lot of what he had to overcome to be the writer he is today. The prose is top heavy, he explains often when he should just describe and it stops the action. The book is heavy with explaination, his villian isn't as chilling as the deranged killer from Hideaway, the twisted doctor from False Memory, or the demented sherieff from Intensity. One misses these pillars of the community turned cold bloodied pyschos, although he is one of their brethern. The Koo...more
Linda C.
Jun 20, 2007 Linda C. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I remember being so enraged by the actions of one of the characters in this novel that I literally wanted to throw the book against the wall and start screaming at it.

Except, I knew that it would be pointless and I cared too much for the heroine of the novel to stop reading.

I don't think that I have ever had such a visceral reaction to any book. The underlying mystery of the novel is amazing. I remember finishing the book and feeling as if it had been this intricately wound and knotted yarn that...more
Maciek
"Whispers" (1980) was the book that launched Koontz onto the bestseller lists, and it's a wonder why.

What to say about this book? Not much. Bruno Frye is stalking Hilary whatsername, a young, wealthy, beautiful and succesful (hey, it's Koontz) screenwriter. Enter a brave cop, Tony Clemenza, who's going to save our damsel from all distresses, on all three thousands pages that follow.
Whispers is way too long, way to cliched, and way to boring - the climax is something V.C. Andrews readers might em...more
Jo Bennie
A 4.8 scale tremor gently rocks Los Angeles. A nameless man sleeps in his van, plagued by nightmares, comforted by waking alongside his knives and dreaming of killing the woman he is searching for. Hilary Thomas, up and coming screen writer, struggles with feelings of inferiority and self doubt as she waits to see if her newest creation has been accepted. Drinking in her success she begins to relax, to begin to believe that the world is not the bleak brutal one she had to learn to be tough to su...more
Jenni
Early Dean Koontz, I am shocked you got anywhere with a book like this. Why did I trudge along and finish it? Well, listening instead of actually being the reader helped a bit. I did want to know how it ended, and for part of the book, the ultimate mystery was a little intriguing. What was the problem? Sooo much.

The misogyny. The whole concept of a woman brutally attacked and almost raped with the cops not believing her was disgusting and uncomfortable to read. One cop outright persecutes her wh...more
Tara Chevrestt
Been a long time but I remember this being so vivid that I could literally feel cock roaches crawling over my body as I read it. The descriptions were creepy and frightening and it was a very hard to put down book.
I read this book in High School it's Koontz first book I read!!! Started reading Koontz after this!!! Book has a great twist, never even noticed.
Holly
Another great read from an amazing author. Had trouble putting it down....a very engrossing story.
Jen
I really liked this book. The story was suspenseful and full, the characters were engaging, and the mysteries were fun to solve. I was a little disappointed that it took Hilary and Tony so long to think that Mr. Frye might have (view spoiler). But I suppose not having them think of this sooner was a way for Koontz to ratchet up the suspense. The other thing I didn't really care for was the final encounter (view spoiler)...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I suppose I could make a shelf called "Horror, sort of" for this but you get the idea.

I read this some time ago but had forgotten about it. The plot isn't one that's terrifically original but it's handled very well and the plot holds together in the face of evidence in the story that "kind of" misleads. It's supposed to, and it's done very well. So all in all I think this is a good book and while I can't bring myself to go above 3 stars that only means that I have trouble deciding "how good" it...more
Joe
Nenette
I bought my copy of this book on sale, and because I have in my line up a lot of other books to read, I have postponed reading this for six months! I wish I had read it sooner. I am now a Dean Koontz fan, and I’ll be looking out for his other books.

In the middle part of the book, I got wary because the subject of the occult came up. I thought it wouldn’t be a good explanation to the dead man walking theory. It’s very refreshing to note that the twist that Koontz made towards the end, and that is...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I enjoyed this one much more than I expected. I guess I put off reading it because it was an older Koontz book and one more pages than the typical books I read of 300-400 pages. I listened to the audiobook of Whispers while I was painting my new condo :-) Elements of the story remind of me of other Dean Koontz novels including: Shadowfires, Mr. Murder and The Bad Place. It seems that all Koontz book interconnect in some way in what we Koontz addicts call The Koontz Universe. I could do without t...more
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T...more
Tom Nittoli
3.5 - Of Koontz's earlier books this is the first time I find evidence that he can engage a reader in a longer more in-depth story. Here through many twists, and turns we are weaved through what at first seems to be the greatest of supernatural stories, but ultimately are lead in an entirely new direction. Not his best, but noteworthy. The revelation of the books title is also exciting, and well done without being cliche or over dramatic.
Jared
A solid four from Mr. Koontz. Here's why: This book may have been split into two sections, but to me it felt like more of a three-parter: the inciting incidents, the aftermath, and the climax. These three parts worked well together, but considered apart, their weaknesses become apparent.

Part One: five stars, right off the bat. Fantastic dialogue and characterization. Incredibly realistic action. Lovable people. Terrifying and mysterious villain. By the time Frank and Tony reconciled and Hilary h...more
Jenna
I enjoyed the book. I was my first Dean Koontz book, but I think in the end I was a bit disappointed at what the 'whispers' were. it was definitely an odd idea, and it caught me off guard, but I guess I was hoping for a not so 'general' explanation. But as always, the writing is eloquent and the text flows amazingly, and the character development is truly genius.
Shawnee Bowlin
I enjoyed the way Koontz revealed the Bruno confusion, the way he brought out the good side of the bad cop, and the romance between Hillary and her man. The whispers that were revealed were a bit lame and not his best, but the story overall kept me reading and a dedicated Koontz fan.
Nora aka Diva
Suspense at it's best right here. You firmly get how both Hilary feels and how Frye feels as well. Great way to introduce backstory without making you feel disconnected with the storyline. Slowly you begin to understand how and why both behave as they do. Good read.
MJ
This book has the most ridiculous premise: twins forced to pretend they were one person because their mother didn't want anyone to know they were her own illegitimate children, and not the son of a friend, as she had told everyone. Yeesh!
Alex (Al)
Not too bad for an older Koontz book. Very adult and very predictable with good characters. Love the roaches. The whole (view spoiler) but overall it was a good read.
Gale Bailey
This is one of my favorite Dean Koontz novels. It had me on the edge of my seat until the very end!!
Hillary
This book was recommended by a friend, and I'm glad. It was a fun and easy read, that kept me at the edge of my seat.

I was attracted to it because I share the same name (and some features) of the victim, Hilary Thomas. It was fun (in a weird way) to put myself in the story. I loved the twists and turns Dean took me through. I love trying to solve the crime before the authorities, with this book, I couldn't! Too many twists!

The last hundred pages, or so, was a whirlwind of intense emotions. You...more
Corey Holst
From the classic perspective, my review contains a spoiler. But if you've read as much as 60 pages in, you'll have figured out the whole mystery like I did LONG before it was "revealed" to you near the end. The idea that the killer, Bruno Frye, was killed but seems to have come back from the grave, could be an interesting novel about haunting and supernatural powers, except it isn't. Nobody believes our protagonist, not even her detective boyfriend. They all think she's been under too much stre...more
Peter
I fell a little stupiderer.
Sharon Piper
I wanted to like this book. Really, I did. And since I rated it four stars (or more like 3.52352 rounded up, obviously I found some redeeming qualities. I had read numerous reviews that referenced this as Koontz's "breakaway hit" and "the book that made him a household name." It wasn't my favorite Koontz, and if I hadn't read more of his, I'm not sure if I would have felt driven to pick up another book of his.

The Plot...
An up-and-coming screenwriter (Hilary Thomas) experiences a violent home inv...more
Elizabeth Reuter
Koontz is a descriptive writer, which often works. In his best work, he writes in an evocative way, drawing the reader--or drawing me personally, anyway--into his characters and world.

Whispers, however, is an early work, and it shows. Koontz had not mastered the fine line between "evocative prose" and "purple prose," especially in scenes of emotional intensity. For example:

Such a lean hard man. She slid her hand up to his groin and felt the huge steeliness and fierce heat of his erection. She th...more
Koontzland - Dean...: Whispers (Group Read - June 2013) 65 70 Jul 27, 2013 08:36PM
One never knows 1 41 Mar 15, 2008 08:53AM
  • The House of Thunder
  • The Funhouse
  • Three Complete Novels: The Servants of Twilight / Darkfall / Phantoms
  • Dragonfly
  • The God Project
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Fountain Society

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na...more
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Phantoms Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)