Start by marking “Whispers” as Want to Read:
Whispers

Whispers

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  26,774 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
For thirty-five years, Bruno Frye has lived in the shadow of the mother who made his heart beat with constant fear. And even though she died five years ago, the whispers still haunt him in the dark…enough to make him kill—and kill again…Hilary Thomas is one of his intended victims. And she’s about to learn that even death can’t keep a bad man down…
Published June 27th 2006 by Berkley (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers

Edward Lorn
Jun 30, 2016 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with sexual organs.
Shelves: paperbacks
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten eleven things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Yes
2. Dog(s) - Nope
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup (Koontz's staple super-handsome, well-built egomaniacal maniac)
6. Bougainvillea plant - Nope
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Kinda (Mercury-vapor this time)
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Nope (But there was a mention of second sight)
and introduc
Thomas Strömquist
As a horror-starved teenager I got wind of Koontz first for Phantoms and then for Strangers. Following these two (Swedish publishing order), it was this book. Not quite what I was prepared for or expecting, but a good read nonetheless. More psychological thriller than the horror I expected at the time, but some very effective chills and way before Koontz strangely enough became that truly annoying word-spewer of cliches and incredibly annoying characters.
Janie Johnson
May 14, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
This book started out so intense it made me wanna put it down for a breather, but also made me wanna keep reading because I could barely tear my eyes away. I love the intense adrenalin laced stories, So eh, call me a thrill seeker.

Koontz did a great job with his characters, I learned a lot about them accept for Bruno. You really don't get to know too much about him at the beginning of the story. I felt like I kinda had to throw pieces together to make it all work together. I would have liked to
Crystal Craig
Aug 02, 2013 Crystal Craig rated it it was ok
I finished the book about a week ago, but I held back with writing my review for the simple fact of needing time to think about it. 'Whispers' was my fourth Dean Koontz novel and like the case with all them before; I finished reading and was sitting on the proverbial fence. I'm more familiar with his more recent works, 'Innocence', '77 Shadow Street'. After reading them and being left disappointed, a friend of mine - another book buddy who's a fan of Koontz suggested I try some of his earlier no ...more
ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ Ντρέκη
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο γεμάτο ένταση, αγωνία, φόβο. Παρ όλο που καταλαβαίνεις σχετικά νωρίς τι γίνεται, θέλεις να συνεχίσεις την ανάγνωση. Ωραίες περιγραφές και διάλογοι. Και υπάρχουν και κάποιες στιγμές που πραγματικά θες να φας τα νύχια σου. Απο τις παλιές καλές εποχές του Κουντζ. Είναι εξαντλημένο, αλλά με λίγη τύχη μπορεί και να το πετύχεται.

Jessica
Another crazy mother who mentally destroys her children, so that, in their adulthood, they're homicidal and unbalanced, yet still walking free in society like everyone else.

Hilary survives an attack by an assailant she recognizes, and finds that her plea to the police is met by doubt, as the attacker has an alibi. The second attack on Hilary becomes bloody for the attacker, and the police are finally able to verify Hilary's need to call for help.

The surprise in this story wasn't Hilary, or her s
Michael
May 21, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's not a lot I know about rugby, or Apartheid. I watched a Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon movie though, where Morgan Freeman is portraying Nelson Mandela, and while touring the prison where he was held captive, or while talking to Matt Damon about how important winning a sporting event is for a country's sense of validity, he mentions a poem he had memorized. A few lines of a poem, or a whole poem, I don't remember. Apparently it was profound enough and simple enough that repetition and mono ...more
Mar 27, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group-reads
60% into this book and not worth the time. I'm so disappointed. Such a waste of my reading time.
Mike (the Paladin)
I suppose I could make a shelf called "Horror, sort of" for this but you get the idea.

I read this some time ago but had forgotten about it. The plot isn't one that's terrifically original but it's handled very well and the plot holds together in the face of evidence in the story that "kind of" misleads. It's supposed to, and it's done very well. So all in all I think this is a good book and while I can't bring myself to go above 3 stars that only means that I have trouble deciding "how good" it
Maciek
"Whispers" (1980) was the book that launched Koontz onto the bestseller lists, and it's a wonder why.

What to say about this book? Not much. Bruno Frye is stalking Hilary whatsername, a young, wealthy, beautiful and succesful (hey, it's Koontz) screenwriter. Enter a brave cop, Tony Clemenza, who's going to save our damsel from all distresses, on all three thousands pages that follow.
Whispers is way too long, way to cliched, and way to boring - the climax is something V.C. Andrews readers might em
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
The forces that affect our lives, the influences that mold and shape us, are often like whispers in a distant room, teasingly indistinct, apprehended only with difficulty.
-Charles Dickens

I enjoyed this one much more than I expected. I guess I put off reading it because it was an older Koontz book and one with more pages than the typical books I read of 300-400 pages. I listened to the audiobook of Whispers in 2013, while I was painting my new condo :-)

I read the book for the second time in 20
Paul Dinger
Oct 04, 2011 Paul Dinger rated it it was ok
It is early Dean Koontz and you can see a lot of what he had to overcome to be the writer he is today. The prose is top heavy, he explains often when he should just describe and it stops the action. The book is heavy with explaination, his villian isn't as chilling as the deranged killer from Hideaway, the twisted doctor from False Memory, or the demented sherieff from Intensity. One misses these pillars of the community turned cold bloodied pyschos, although he is one of their brethern. The Koo ...more
Hillary
Jan 20, 2014 Hillary rated it really liked it
This book was recommended by a friend, and I'm glad. It was a fun and easy read, that kept me at the edge of my seat.

I was attracted to it because I share the same name (and some features) of the victim, Hilary Thomas. It was fun (in a weird way) to put myself in the story. I loved the twists and turns Dean took me through. I love trying to solve the crime before the authorities, with this book, I couldn't! Too many twists!

The last hundred pages, or so, was a whirlwind of intense emotions. You
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Been a long time but I remember this being so vivid that I could literally feel cock roaches crawling over my body as I read it. The descriptions were creepy and frightening and it was a very hard to put down book.
Kristi Glunt
Feb 10, 2014 Kristi Glunt rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this book I was in high school. I found it to be one of the scariest books ever! I've since read it again on several different occasions, that's how good I found this book to be. Makes the hair on your neck stand on end!
Jenni
Mar 24, 2014 Jenni rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Early Dean Koontz, I am shocked you got anywhere with a book like this. Why did I trudge along and finish it? Well, listening instead of actually being the reader helped a bit. I did want to know how it ended, and for part of the book, the ultimate mystery was a little intriguing. What was the problem? Sooo much.

The misogyny. The whole concept of a woman brutally attacked and almost raped with the cops not believing her was disgusting and uncomfortable to read. One cop outright persecutes her wh
Linda C.
Jun 20, 2007 Linda C. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I remember being so enraged by the actions of one of the characters in this novel that I literally wanted to throw the book against the wall and start screaming at it.

Except, I knew that it would be pointless and I cared too much for the heroine of the novel to stop reading.

I don't think that I have ever had such a visceral reaction to any book. The underlying mystery of the novel is amazing. I remember finishing the book and feeling as if it had been this intricately wound and knotted yarn that
Jen
I really liked this book. The story was suspenseful and full, the characters were engaging, and the mysteries were fun to solve. I was a little disappointed that it took Hilary and Tony so long to think that Mr. Frye might have (view spoiler). But I suppose not having them think of this sooner was a way for Koontz to ratchet up the suspense. The other thing I didn't really care for was the final encounter (view spoiler) ...more
Lauren
Sep 11, 2015 Lauren rated it did not like it
I disliked this book almost immediately after starting it due to it's choppy writing in the beginning and the rushed-into rape scene. It's cliched romance and an unrelatable main character (Hilary) also made this kind of a painful read. I never cared about what happened to Hilary throughout this whole book, she just seemed too much of a damsel in distress to care.

Which brings me to the annoying romance that occurs. Hilary and Tony know each other for one week - ONE WEEK!! - and they already say
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Joe
Nov 06, 2012 Joe rated it did not like it
Started reading this, so far this book is crap. Woman gets attacked, attempted rape at her own home, shoots the guy, then lets him walk out. Then shes questioned by the cops and they blame her. The dialog is unbelievable. At one point, a cop who is interviewing her thinks to himself, I wanna bang her. Just too unbelievable.
Sep 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I read this book in High School it's Koontz first book I read!!! Started reading Koontz after this!!! Book has a great twist, never even noticed.
Gus
Nov 18, 2015 Gus rated it really liked it
4,5/5 ο συνδιασμος τρομου και εγκληματος στο μεγαλείο του!! Αλλο ενα απολαυστικό δημιούργημα απο τον D. Koontz!!
R.a.
Jun 07, 2016 R.a. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Despite a solid plot and weighted characters, Dean Koontz’s suspense novel, Whispers, published in 1980, perhaps has not aged as well as the author intended.

Unfortunately for Koontz and his first “best-selling novel,” since its publication, a plethora of television crime shows with similar plots and characters have run on the various networks, ultimately rendering his main characters as typical and his plot as just a hair different from many an hour-long episode.

Consequently, many eleme
Pablos
May 29, 2015 Pablos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Kiedyś wygrałem w konkursie powieść Deana Koontza “Przy blasku księżyca”. Podobała mi się, niby groza, ale jednak bardziej fantasy, niż typowy horror. Od tego czasu obiecywałem sobie, że nadejdzie taki dzień, w którym zainteresuję się mocniej twórczością tego wiecznie uśmiechniętego Amerykanina.

Trafiło na “Szepty”, powieść, którą nie sposób ot tak, zwyczajnie odłożyć, gdy już się lekturę zaczęło. Rozmach Autora zachwyca, jakiż ten facet ma gest, jeśli można użyć takiego sformułowania w stosunku
Patricia Hamill
Super creepy!

This psychological thriller twists and turns in terrifying and creepy ways. It's part mystery, part horror story, and part love story. The starlet at the center of things triggered the murderous intent of the villain simply by resembling his mother. Due to no small measure of luck, she manages to fight him off twice, giving him a fatal injury the second time. And that's where the story would have ended in a less inspired book. Not this one, though, because the dead man comes for he
Joe
Aug 06, 2008 Joe rated it liked it
Bark's Book Nonsense
Mar 22, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
I'm listening to this on audiobook.

This is an older Koontz book that I swear I read as a kid but I can't remember anything about it so it might have been one I missed. It's about a woman being terrorized by a man who keeps coming back to life. No one will believe her story, even the cop who she is falling for. Why is this guy after her and how come he keeps coming back from the grave in tip top form? It's a Koontz novel so I'm betting he's been genetically mutated or something similar.

If I did r
Jo Bennie
Mar 07, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: k
A 4.8 scale tremor gently rocks Los Angeles. A nameless man sleeps in his van, plagued by nightmares, comforted by waking alongside his knives and dreaming of killing the woman he is searching for. Hilary Thomas, up and coming screen writer, struggles with feelings of inferiority and self doubt as she waits to see if her newest creation has been accepted. Drinking in her success she begins to relax, to begin to believe that the world is not the bleak brutal one she had to learn to be tough to su ...more
Kate
Maybe you can chalk this up to the fact that this is one of Koontz' earlier works, but there's a lot of issues with this novel that make it feel...well, amateurish.

First there's the totally abrupt conclusion--really, the entire 400 page book is wrapped up in about 2.5 pages, with a few issues left dangling or just not resolved satisfactorily. (view spoiler)

Then there's all t
Dean Koontz's GOOD ONES 2 3 Jan 03, 2017 04:51AM
Koontzland - Dean...: Whispers (Group Read - June 2013) 66 99 Mar 21, 2015 06:07AM
please add the isbn13 for this book 1 7 Dec 20, 2014 02:40PM
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Invasion
  • Fountain Society

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...