Start by marking “Sliver” as Want to Read:

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,699 ratings  ·  86 reviews
De zeer aantrekkelijke Kay Norris betrekt nadat haar relatie in het slop is geraakt, een van de super-de-luxe appartementen aan 1300 Madison Avenue. Ondanks geruchten over opvallend veel sterfgevallen in het gebouw voelen Kay en haar kat Felice zich al snel thuis in hun schitterende omgeving en maken ze kennis met enkelen van hun buren. Een van hen is de schatrijke Pete He ...more
Published 1991 by A.W. Bruna

To ask other readers questions about Sliver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sliver

This is going to be a spoiler-filled ranty ragefest, so if you are interested in reading this book, and don't want me to save you from yourself, then you should stop reading this review now. Because I'm about to give away the ending, and nobody likes that kind of spoiler.

You've been warned.

Dear Sliver,

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Did I seriously just read a book- ostensibly written by the same man who wrote both the fucking amazing R
Nov 18, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Kay Norris, a successful single lady of thirty-nine, moves into the posh Upper East Side district of Carnegie Hill in Manhattan. The building she moves into is a slender, silvery high rise full of exclusive apartments. The building's landlord is personable, if slightly obsessive, but very solicitous of his tenants' various comforts. Only after she moves in does Kay discover that the tabloids have nicknamed her building "The Horror High Rise". Four unexplained deaths have occurred during the buil ...more
Paul Kotheimer
Pretty good for what it is, although I'm not really into the genre. I bought it because I thought I was going to be waiting for a good while, and it was marked down to $3 at a souvenir shop. If you're looking for like a hot sexy book, this one isn't it. Sorry.

Definitely interesting considering it predates the Big Brother and other shows like this, not to mention the whole internet voyeur market.

I guess my biggest problem with it is the New-York-yuppies-are-the-center-of-the-universe vibe. Fuck
Arun Divakar
Is it just me or was this the most unexciting book that I have read in recent times. I confess to the fact that an exciting book like Rosemary's Baby by the same author piqued my interest enough to choose this book.

A hight rise building and the spooky goings on around it make up the crux of the tale. Centres mostly around a single career woman who comes into the building and falls in love with the wrong guy at the wrong place. It is at times so cliched that you can see the climax from miles off.
I expect this book was quite startling when it first came out in 1991, however compared to The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby, this is not Levin's best. What especially annoyed me was the staccato sentence structure where description became just a list, which made it quite confusing. This could be a stylistic choice mirroring the quick voyeurism of the cameras, but to me it just felt like he couldn't be bothered. If you're interested in the fear of CCTV/Big Brother gone mad before the age of ...more
This was a humdrum story that couldn't maintain my interest, and I threw in the towel after a hundred pages. The writing was so sparse that, a couple of times, I could hardly make sense of what was happening or what the characters were talking about. If ever I've read a book malnourished from lack of words, this is it. Even yet, despite its stripped-down quality, it still manages to be a slow, dull read.
* In spite of the echoes of Rosemary's Baby (a building with an infamous history) and The Boys From Brazil (in his climax), Sliver lives up to neither of these earlier novels, mostly because it isn't as grand as the others, there's no big prize dangling at the end for the bad guy. He's got what he wants; it's just a matter of keeping it. Since our heroine isn't too thrilled with that idea, the whole thing degenerates into a routine thriller that ends with one of those implausibilities that you h ...more
Rachael Eyre
Though very dated now, this book still chills, whilst also raising some uncomfortable questions. Who hasn't watched someone who is unaware of your interest in them? A couple in a coffee shop maybe? Kids playing in the park? Your neighbours in their garden? Maybe you have taken a photo of someone without them knowing. Where is the line? how do you know you have crossed it?
I didn't really like the style of writing in this book. I enjoyed it for the first half, but after a while I struggled a bit to get to the end.
I thought the idea of 'Sliver' was interesting, but it wasn't a very exciting read.
Watch the movie instead. If I hadn't, I might have been lost and not able to visualize. It's written in a very staccato style that prevents proper comprehension and is a constant reminder that it's a story.
Обожавам Айра Левин, начина му на структуриране и писане. Имах огромни очаквания към тази книга, но останах разочарована. Типично за Левин, началото на книгата бе мъгливо, завоалирано и трудно за навлизане; бомбардираше читателите си с имена, които не бях сигурна доколко съм запаметила и кога ще се появят пак... Не знам и дали се дължеше на превода, но често не можех да схвана репликите - трудно бе да се ориентирам коя реплика на кой герой е. Всичко това помрачи мнението ми за романа, чиято екра ...more
Allison Novasel
I have to be honest, had I not seen the movie, I'm not sure I would have followed this entire book. That could be in part due to poor editing on the Kindle. There were no breaks between sub-chapters, so all of a sudden, the HE or SHE become someone totally different, with no clue to change your mindset. But the story is good...I can't say I didn't enjoy. And had I not seen the movie, I think there would have been surprises. It's surely not a must-read, but it's a good, quick, creepy choice if yo ...more
Sliver was my first experience with Ira Levin. I remember hearing about the movie but never seeing it and I saw this book at a book sale for like fifty cents or something. I read the book on the beach in about eight hours’ time. The book is an incredibly fast paced work that could easily transfer to the screen like some of Levin’s other work. I remember the movie being advertised for overt sexual conduct but the novel was tame in this department. What the novel did well was predict our future an ...more
The best one yet as far as a strong, female lead character! Even though it was a bit difficult to read at times. Levin never used identifiers much beyond "she" and "he" when folks were having a conversation. This made it difficult for me to keep up with when the conversation involved more than one he or she. The writing was very matter-of-fact - not much embellishment so there was a lot left up to the imagination. The end was a bit more fulfilling than the other two I've recently read.
Natasha Bexley
Although the thought of someone watching me in the shower or even getting undressed is slightly creepy, I've got to say it, REALLY hot too.
Who doesn't like attention? Certainly not this character!!

The book has some of the strongest sex senses I've EVER read and my only critic of this book, is there wasn't enough.

Wet myself fully to this book, yet like a man often makes me feel - It wasn't enough!!
My favorite author has done It again. I'd seen the movie in the 90s, so I knew it would be a great book. You've gotta stay with this one, though, as Levin bogs you down with yuppie info dumps. But the shocking conclusion is the ultimate comeuppance, and Ira again proves he rules the roost, making the rest of us seem like amateurs with narrative so pared down you'd think it was a striptease.
Lekker spannend voor in de vakantie, dacht ik. En Ira Levin heeft een reputatie. Maar wat een waardeloos slecht boek. Niet spannend, dun verhaal, personages die je door elkaar haalt omdat ze niet interessant zijn. Direct van de e-reader weggehaald.
Great suspense, great writing. Ira Levin reminds me of H.G. Wells sometimes: they both created some topoi that are still exploited today.
In Sliver, we have a building full of cameras and a voyeur - the owner - who plays God with his tenants. Needless to say, he also kills them once in a while.
As usual, a pretty lady move into the building, they fall in love, she discovers his deep, dark secrets and they end up fighting for their lives over a twentieth-floor window. Her cat saved the day.
Scott Vandrick
Levin is a master of tightly-wound prose, sharply created tension and gasp-inducing climaxes. “Sliver” is a fine example of his honed ability to get-in and get-out, all the while weaving a cemented plot with likeable characters and a satisfying ending. I enjoyed it.
When Kay Norris moves into a swanky New York apartment building, she is pleasantly surprised to learn that one of the residents, Peter Hamilton, seems preternaturally attuned to her feelings. The two fall in love, and Peter reveals his secret. He owns the building and each of the apartments is wired with video cameras and listening devices, so he can sit and watch each of the residents as they live their lives. He reveals this secret to Kay, who is at first repelled, then fascinated. The buildin ...more
Read it a million years ago. Actually, a totally fun book (later, turned into a campy and equally fun movie with kind of an awesome soundtrack).
Read this 15 years ago. I remember thinking it was decent then but it wouldn't hold up to today's standard of suspense.
Bonnie Fazio
Not my favorite Ira Levin novel (that would be Rosemary's Baby), and written in a slightly different style than what I remember from him. I liked the book pretty well, and it did succeed in building a good bit of suspense that kept me turning the last 20 or 30 pages.

The style thing got in the way of my becoming engrossed in the book at the start. It was sometimes hard to understand what characters meant, as Levin used sort of a shorthand dialogue style that required getting used to.

I was glad I
Another great from Ira Levin! This one is fun because even are most banal seeming characters are more twisted than they seem. I don't want to give too much away, but it's a change from the Stepford/Rosemary "Me Against the World" motif. Classic!
Diana Welsch
The climax was pretty cheesy, but overall I really enjoyed reading this. I actually listened to it - the Brilliance Audio production is not just narrated but has a full cast. Kind of distracting at first but I got used to it.

It didn't follow the plot I expected it would: I figured the climax would be when Kay finds out the apartment building was bugged. But that's about halfway through. The dung really hits the fan later, when she finds out the building's other big secret.

I heard this was made i
As the intro says, a prophecy of the voyeuristic age we live in now.
Maureen Oskam
book is soooo much better than the movie, love the plot
Don't bother. Extra star for amazing ability to annoy.
The Bates Motel if Norman had NSA connections and a more lenient mother...
  • Single White Female
  • Blood in the Water
  • Nell
  • A Room For The Dead
  • The Wheat Field
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • Ju-on Volume 1 (呪怨, #1)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • Oversteken
  • Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island
  • Errands
  • Guilt by Association
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...
Rosemary's Baby The Boys from Brazil The Stepford Wives This Perfect Day A Kiss Before Dying