Start by marking “jambandbootleg” as Want to Read:
jambandbootleg

jambandbootleg

You're at your computer. Tickets are a tense, electrifying few seconds from going on sale. Eyeing the time, you're hitting "Refresh," and elsewhere, all your friends are doing the exact same thing. That's Paul Siegell's jambandbootleg. A widespread, high-spirited head rush. Desperation, fretfulness—all out life-leaping. "The party starts in the parking lot," indeed. With p ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by A-Head Publishing

To ask other readers questions about jambandbootleg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about jambandbootleg

Bobbi Lurie
Mar 24, 2010 Bobbi Lurie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely
Recommended to Bobbi by: well....
This book is beyond brilliant. How can I say anything about it? It MUST be both read AND experienced. It IS music (literally--sections divided into SIDE A, REWIND, CASSETTE, SET I, PLAY, SIDE B etc.) and it IS art (literally--words made into shapes--cinematic in the simultaneous overlapping of words, descriptions, musicality and love so clearly felt on every page) and it is like nothing I have ever seen (I must own 1,000 poetry books). And yet…and yet…I have always said that the most brilliant i ...more
Dan
Aug 02, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Fans of Ferlinghetti will be at-home descending and ascending the lyrical staircases Siegell constructs in "jambandbootleg": a celebration of the musical subculture surrounding contemporary jam music and concert-going.

It's hard to know what the outsider would think of this explosive, reverent and open-hearted ode to what is typically a maligned and misunderstood community of music lovers. As a fan of the jam concert and touring experience, I'm on the inside and I can say that Siegell hits the na
Nina
Aug 11, 2009 Nina rated it it was amazing
The cover of Paul Siegell's newest poetry book is one of the best I've ever seen. This collection of poems is a concert travelogue. Siegell takes words and makes them his own. He's not afraid to play with form and shape;his writing is joyous, clever and creative.

There are several shaped poems in the book. "The 18 Majors of Greg Hollowcost", shaped like a question mark, follows the changing mind of a college student through each semester's major du jour. My favorite is "Bright Eyes", shaped like
Grady
Jun 01, 2009 Grady rated it it was amazing
Review as published in O&S Summer 2009
The Idea and Word Artistry of Poet Paul Siegell
By Grady Harp

Paul Siegell bounces onto the stage of contemporary American poetry as a fresh
flash of colorful originality. He plays with letters that compose words/thoughts,
punctuation imagery derived from the computer keyboard, takes those at times
strange but fresh products and patterns them into vocabulary pixilated images,
creating artworks of each page of this current treasure trove of poems titled
j
Elizabeth Thorpe
I just finished the book, and I should really wait so I can review it more objectively. So this is just my initial, starry-eyed opinion, colored by the Kool-Aid I'm drinking as a member of the Cult of Paul. (And also mindful of my audience: Paul is bound to re-post this somewhere...)

jambandbootleg is not as tight as Poemergency room, and I was not surprised to hear that it's actually the first in the series. But I don't know which is my favorite -- I loved them both.

As I read, I kept thinking o
CA
Dec 24, 2009 CA rated it it was amazing
This holds original sway in several ways, the least not of which is a book written through the experience of music. I'm writing this immediately after giving it a full reading while in the middle of a (Soma)tic Poetry exercise where I listen to CRISTO REDENTOR by Donald Byrd on a continuous loop for 108 hours (4 and a half days).

It feels like the perfect book to be reading while in the walls of Byrd, not because the music is similar, but because Paul too is urgent, even frantic in his quest to H
Matthew Hittinger
Jun 30, 2009 Matthew Hittinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Can't wait until we have all four books...a tetraolgy? Quadrilogy?

I wish I could give this 4.5 stars. I'm always revising my feelings about books from the initial read to how I feel later, and as time has passed and I've thought about jambandbootleg some more and poemergency room some more, I realized my gut was telling me poemergency was either a smidge stronger or that I just connected with it better. Which means it's a total personal taste thing, much like that special album by your favorite
Melissa
Jul 27, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
After reading Paul Siegell's Jambandbootleg, I kept flipping through it, amazed at the energy and the creativity that fill these pages. Finishing the book is like lingering on the fairground long after a concert that you've been saving up for, dying to see, is through and you're left astounded at what you've just witnessed.

I kept flipping through it, half expecting the words, like in a flip book, to depict a boy or girl dancing -- a hidden bonus like playing a record backwards and hearing a sub
Greg Ippolito
Mar 16, 2010 Greg Ippolito rated it it was amazing
I've never, EVER, seen poetry like this before.

The inventive rendering of simple typesetting into visual art...the impressionistic verse putting you in moments of time/space/sound with mere flashes of suggestion...the unusual rock-and-roll diary of poems that feels so natural, so right, you close the book wonder, "Why hasn't this been done before?"...

You just HAVE to read this. Even if you don't consider yourself a "poetry person." This is just form-bending, rule-breaking writing that needs to
Brad
Jun 29, 2009 Brad rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
I'm not such a great reviewer of books but I must say at least a bit about this great book of poems.

Paul's energy isn't to be contained and the book effervesces off the page like poemusical alka-seltzer.

Really truly vibrant and exciting poetry that I've never experienced except for when I read his first book. If you enjoy poetry, do yourself a favor and get this book and read it. If you're not much of a poetry reader, this book may just change that!

Read it!
Karen
Jun 29, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed-copy
Paul Siegell's collection, jambandbootleg, is a collection that plays with words as if they are music notes and beats. Every work is a visual tribute to the world of music (and in many ways, the lives of those who pursue music). When you sit down to read this collection, you need to be prepared to sing, or at least tap your foot to the rhythm of every word, every line, every poem.
Andrea Kulman
Jul 03, 2009 Andrea Kulman rated it it was amazing
Exhilarating... to put it mildly. The author has a "booming" voice that is unlike any I have ever read before. At times you feel you are next to him- hearing him, however, looking through the eyes of a child. He takes poetry to a new level... the next level.
Sara Kearns
Jul 20, 2009 Sara Kearns marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sara by: Daniel (Sumrall), I think
Shelves: poetry_post-1990
'Haven't read it yet, but congratulations to Paul! It looks great, and I can't wait to read it. Oh, and thanks, too, to Paul, for making Siren the other home for one this book's poems. (Check out that poem, "Pass/Fail," at www.sirenlit.com/issue06 )
Paul Siegell
Jun 30, 2009 Paul Siegell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: eVERYONe
IF YOU'D LIKE A SIGNED COPY at a DISCOUNT, EMAIL ME
PayPal-able. More here: http://paulsiegell.blogspot.com/

HUGE 4/20 REVIEW @ JambandsOnline.com: http://bit.ly/aQg0m4

Poems arose in 5AM, BlazeVOX, Kulture Vulture, MiPOesias, Moria, New Pony: A Horse Less Anthology, Otoliths, PFS Post, Pinstripe Fedora, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Press 1, RATTLE, SAWBUCK, Shampoo, Siren, SOFTBLOW, Sous Rature, Surrender to the Flow, Three Rivers Review and Umbrella.

• Interview: BOOKSLUT: http://bit.ly/24R6xl
• Review
Kathleen
Aug 20, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
From my review of the book on the Black Ocean Press blog:

Like his dazzling debut Poemergency Room, Paul Siegell’s second collection jambandbootleg buzzes with exuberance so huge the book can barely contain it. From the blurb by his dad—“What a rush!” to the “(((Whooo’s got my publisher?)))” where most would put “acknowledgments” to the “SETLIST” instead of a “Table of Contents,” Siegell’s book embodies the non-stop sensory overload of a super-fun show.

Like the bands he idolizes—Phish, the Disco
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2009
Lara
Lara rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2016
stevenallenmay
stevenallenmay rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Stacie
Stacie rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2009
Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2009
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2009
Billy
Billy rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Andrew Gussman
Andrew Gussman rated it it was amazing
Charles Foster Kane
Charles Foster Kane rated it it was amazing
Kp
Kp rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2010
Rick F.
Rick F. rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2010
Željko Mitić
Željko Mitić rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2010
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Danny Sillada
Danny Sillada rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2011
1199461
PAUL SIEGELL is the author of three books of poetry: wild life rifle fire (Otoliths Books, 2010), jambandbootleg (A-Head Publishing, 2009), Poemergency Room (Otoliths Books, 2008), and the e-chap JΔM> (ungovernable press, 2008).

“Let’s get into the song!” Born on Long Island, educated in Pittsburgh, employed in Orlando, Atlanta and now Philadelphia, Paul is a copywriter by day and a seni
More about Paul Siegell...