Start by marking “The Snow Queen” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  7,083 ratings  ·  616 reviews
This charming retelling of the classic tale by Hans Christian Andersen is exquisitely complemented by Alan Marks' magical illustrations. Wrap up warmly to join Gerda on her quest to rescue Kay from the icy clutches of the wicked Snow Queen.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Queen

Christy
3 stars

I picked up The Snow Queen because I'm trying to fit in a few more Christmas reads and I got it free from audible. The narration was good, but the story was just okay for me. I know a lot of people love this story and read it as children... this was my first read through. It was only about an hour to listen. I liked it, but compared to my last holiday audible listen it just missed the mark for me.
Carole's Random Life
This was a nice story. I hope to listen to it again in one sitting. I think I may have lost some of the story with all of the stopping and starting I did.

I still don't feel compelled to watch Frozen after listening to this story.

Shruti
Magic was magic when I was a child. Not italicised or imprisoned by quotation marks.The ‘i’ was never dotted with a heart or a star. It really was just magic. And fey were fey. Their tales were welcome but it was the same welcome that the stories of Aesop with his very ordinary and un-magical donkeys got. So, when I say this was my most beloved story when little, it is not because of the faeries . It is because in a land of damsels in distress and their distress-alleviating princes , I’d found a ...more
Mara
Dec 14, 2014 Mara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Well, I'm not gonna turn down an audible freebie now am I?

Their take:
The Snow Queen will be free until January 31, 2015.
Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year
Julia Whelan performs one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved fairy tales, The Snow Queen. This classic tale is a fantastical fable of two dear friends - one of whom goes astray and is literally lost to the north woods, while the other undertakes an epic journey to rescue him. This charming, strange, and wonderful story is a timeless
Dem
3.5 Stars

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen was a beautiful story.
I listened to this one on audio while wrapping Christmas presents in front of the fire.
What great company this little book was.
Adam
Disney's Frozen said it was based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen. That's what piqued my interest in this classic. So, after reading this, I can say fairly that Frozen is VERY loosely based. I found elements that contribute to the world and lore in which Elsa becomes the Snow Queen, but Hans's Snow Queen is less endearing. In short, I'll place the Snow Queen / Frozen comparison in the category of good book, great movie, but each in their own right.

Regarding edition, the Kindle ebook
David
Dec 19, 2014 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clever boys and girls, icy queens, crows thinking about retirement
This Audible freebie is a nice way to hear the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale. It's not a particularly thrilling fable - boys meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back - though really, it's the girl who does the getting.

The story starts with an evil hobgoblin (also referred to as a demon) who goes to magic school (why did Rowling not find a way to hook this into her mythology?) and creates a magic mirror which shows "reality" in the harshest, ugliest way possible. It is shatter
Lyn
First published in 1844, The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson is a delightfully charming, if somewhat dated, fantasy – back when fantasies were called faerie tales.

Told in seven parts, Anderson borrows liberally from Christian themes and pre-Christian myth to create a richly complex, but simply entertaining story that children will enjoy and adults will find amusing, especially the classical, Biblical and mythic references that may be lost, unapologetically so, on a younger reader.

C.S. Lew
Gavin
This was another audiobook that Audible gave away for free. Unfortunately this was as bad as the last freebie offering. This was a dreadful bore. Thankfully it was a short read.

Rating: 2 stars.

Audio Note: Even the excellent Julia Whelan could not save this story.
Macarena
Puedo ver que parte tomaron para hacer Frozen. Es un lindo cuento en general :3
Chrissie
An excellent fairy tale. Fairy tales should first scare you and then resolve happily. This fits that bill. It must be entertaining to both the adult reading the tale and the child. I admit it; I was tense, annoyed and worried ....and then happy. If the parent is bored, it is not a good fairy tale. The child will feel your own emotional response.

Hans Christian Andersen knew how to write stories for both adults and kids. I chuckled. I marveled at the author's ability to create an exciting story, e
Jarom
I. LOVE. THIS. STORY.
Yes, this is a fairy tale that I plan to tell my children before I tuck them into bed at night. Holy cow.
This is the tale of a boy and a girl. Simple enough, right? The story hasn't even begun and you know it will be good.
It all begins with a mirror. Made by demons in the pits of Hades, this mirror takes everything good that looks into it and makes it the exact opposite. The better of a person you are, the worse it makes you look.
This mirror shatters. Shards fall to the ear
Anna Matsuyama
The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen is *again* somehow edited version just like The Snow Queen. Hans Christian Andersen by Naomi Lewis. :(
The illustrations are very beautiful and colourful. However I would recommend The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen as it's, as far I can tell, more faithful to the original tale.

Colleen Houck
It seems that Frozen was inspired by this story but I can't see much of a similarity. Really liked the determined little girl who sought after her lost playfellow. The phrase birds of a feather flock together stuck out to me and I looked it up to see if this was the first time it had appeared in literature. It wasn't. Apparently the origin of the phrase was William Turner's 1545 version of it in The Rescuing of Romish Fox: "Byrdes of on kynde and color flok and flye allwayes together." Though th ...more
No pude resistirme a leer este cuento cuando vi el reto. Casi me olvidaba que lo había escrito Andersen.
Me encanta. Amo los escenarios con nieve, y este lo tiene a raudales.
Me gusta que la chica salve al chico. Que el bien venza al mal. Que la amistad sea un hilo poderoso. Que existe alguien que cree en ti con la suficiente fuerza como para recorrer medio mundo en tu busqueda.
Al final, no lo entendí. Pero lo pensé y lo repensé y creo que quiere decir que conservaron en su corazón la pureza de
Allan
A quick listen having downloaded this free from Audible. Another example of my having no imagination for the fantastical, the fact that even as a kid, I wouldn't have been attracted to the story says a lot for what I thought of this one. But hey-it was just under an hour to listen to and was free!
Susan
Thank you Audible for a great free classic. It shows how Hans C.A. Could be a very dark at times, fairy tail writer. Great mystical short for the holiday.
Tim Hatfield
Wonderful story. Evil trolls make a mirror that exasorbates the hideous and evil and diminishes the good in people. They want to take it up to God and show his flaws, the mirror starts laughing out loud at this prospect and they drop it shattering it to pieces. These pieces land in the hearts and eyes of people back on earth turning them into little troll mirrors. Our boy in the story, Kai, gets a shard in his eye and in his heart and begins to be cynical and condescending where once he was char ...more
John Martindale
I wonder if the Snow Queen was a response to the Age of Reason, maybe it was even written from a Christian Fideist position. If so, though extreme, it offers a good counter-balance.

Anderson's idea of the mirror that shrunk the good to nothing and magnified the bad and how this mirror shattering into billions of pieces that got into people's eyes and heart, was genius. I liked how Gerta continued to love Kai, even when he grew cantankerous, "grown up", "rational" and rude once the glass from the
Sophie Riggsby
I have to admit to loving Mary Engelbreit's illustrations, so imagine my joy when I discovered this volume of Hans Christian Andersen stories illustrated by Mary? You knew I would pick this up in a hearbeat.

The story follows Gerda's journey as she attempts to rescue her friend, Kay, from the clutches of the Snow Queen. One twist I enjoyed in this classic fairy tale is that every character in here is a girl except the one being rescued. Kay is a boy. I remember loving that twist when my grandmoth
Deborah
The Snow Queen is a free download on audible.com until January 31, 2015 and it's only a couple hours long. Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year Julia Whelan reads it lovely. I was unfamiliar with this fairy tale but I knew Frozen was loosely based on it. I never saw Frozen either! To be honest, I wanted to know the story because my favorite TV show series Once Upon A Time is currently doing a take on it. The Snow Queen was a sweet and surprising little tale.
Grettel Grace
Un pequeño cuento de esos que siempre te relatan tus padres o abuelos cuando eres un niño. Muy lindo sin duda y con una gran enseñanza. Entretenido como casi todos los cuentos de Andersen.
Francisca Viegas
I was in need of something to read, but since I'm so overwhelmingly occupied having to study for my exams, it had to be something quick.
This little fairytale sat on my TBR pile for ages. I admit to being very curious about this story, because - if you didn't already know - I'm a big fan of the TV series Once Upon a Time, and this season featured the Snow Queen.
As I was reading this story I remembered being a little kid and my mother reading it to me as a bedtime story.
It is a short but beautiful
Lauren
Kay and Gerda are best friends living in a magical world inhabited by a Snow Queen. When Kay’s heart is pierced by a splinter from an enchanted mirror, he is suddenly unable to see the good in anyone. Shortly thereafter, he is kidnapped by the Snow Queen and carried away from his best friend. Little Gerda then takes off on a mission to bring Kay back home, encountering royalty, talking flowers, and highway robbers on her adventure.

So this past weekend, I was finishing up a few books when I real
Gitte

The Beginning: Now then, let us begin. When we are at the end of the story, we shall know more than we know now: but to begin.

I got this one for free from Audible. It’s a tradition that they give their subscribers a free story during the holidays. I love that. And I was so excited that they’d chosen a fairy tale this Christmas. I’d decided to save this one until I my vacation had started and I had no plans at all. That day was December 25.

Her breath became thicker and thicker, and took the form
Kristi Richardson
Thanks Audible for a great Christmas present!

Hans Christian Andersen was one of my favorite authors growing up. I loved his Ugly Duckling and Little Mermaid stories. The story of the Snow Queen is another top notch tale.

We all know "Frozen" was based on this story, but only in the fact that there was a Snow Queen in it. This story is more like the old animated tale with Sandra Dee's voice as Gerda searching for her best boy friend Kai who after getting a shard of magic glass in his eye and heart
Ambs ♥♥
I received this as a free gift from Audible.com. I accepted it because of the blurb about it being the inspiration to Disney's Frozen. I read it around the holidays because it seemed to fit with the theme - COLD.

I was somewhat disappointed because I didn't see much of a correlation between this story and the cartoon. But, I was only somewhat disappointed because this was actually a decent read (ok, listen).

I liked the darkness of the story, as I do with most original "fairy-tales". I liked the
I really enjoyed this story. It is nothing like the movie Frozen, it is ten times better. There is some magic, but is the power of prayer that ends up winning the day. I am so writing a story based off this tale someday.
Michelle Llewellyn
Like many other reviewers I read this in order to compare with the latest Disney movie adaptation, Frozen. I wish Disney had used more of the original "girl power" plot elements instead of just glorifying the villain and justifying the new age of non-traditional families.
Hans Christian Andersen's story is about a boy and girl and the adventures they have after accidently encountering an enchanted object that sends the girl on a quest to rescue the boy from the evil Snow Queen. She meets many in
Into the Forest: HCA's Snow Queen - No Spoilers 5 22 Dec 23, 2014 06:34AM
The Gothic Novel ...: would anyone like to read the Snow Queen for Dec. 1 13 Dec 07, 2014 10:04PM
  • The Tinderbox
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes
  • The Swan Princess
  • The Lilac Fairy Book
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express theme ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

“I can give her no greater power than she has already, said the woman; don't you see how strong that is? How men and animals are obliged to serve her, and how well she has got through the world, barefooted as she is. She cannot receive any power from me greater than she now has, which consists in her own purity and innocence of heart. If she cannot herself obtain access to the Snow Queen, and remove the glass fragments from little Kay, we can do nothing to help her.” 139 likes
“Wiśnie były wyborne, a Gerda głodna, więc jadła, uśmiechając się z zadowoleniem, gdy staruszka złotym grzebieniem czesała jej złote włosy. Czesała je długo, w dziwnym blasku czerwonych i niebieskich szybek, a Gerda zapomniała o Kaju, babce i rodzicach, bo grzebień był zaczarowany, staruszka zaś była wróżką.” 3 likes