Never Shoot a Stampede Queen: A Rookie Reporter in the Cariboo

Never Shoot a Stampede Queen: A Rookie Reporter in the Cariboo

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Winner of the 2009 Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour

The cops wanted to shoot me, my bosses thought I was a Bolshevik, and a local lawyer warned me that some people I was writing about might try to test the strength of my skull with a steel pipe. What more could any young reporter hope for from his first real job?

The night Mark Leiren-Young drove into Williams Lake, British...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Heritage House Publishing Co. Ltd. (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Never Shoot a Stampede Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Shoot a Stampede Queen

Paul Lima
Never Shoot a Stampede Queen: A Rookie Reporter in the Cariboo is a fish out of water story about the misadventures of a rookie reporter from Vancouver in the backwoods of British Columbia. Mark Leiren-Young, the Vancouver-based playwright/film-maker/writer was named the winner of the 2009 Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour. And the book is funny, sometimes laugh out loud so. It's also dark and poignant. Told in an episodic nature, Never Shoot A Stampede Queen, Leiren-Young’s first book, is a memo...more
Catherine
I'm a month shy of my one-year anniversary working at a community newspaper, and I can already relate to probably two-thirds of this book, with similar stories.
Like he writes, as journalists, we find ourselves in "interesting" situations sometimes. And they can be really funny, whether or not anyone else finds them funny at the moment or later on is up for debate. On the other hand, he doesn't gloss over the bad part of our job; like he said, there are days when he doesn't feel like eating afte...more
Scott Harris
Mark Leiren-Young's depiction of his time in William's Lake is a very funny and captivating read, with an undercurrent that would feel almost tragic were it not familiar to almost anyone who has lived outside of "Big City" Canada. Leiren-Young's references to William's Lake as "small town", the fact that it has a court house, several restaurants, bars and a theatre company make it akin to a metropolis for those who've lived in the even smaller places that surround it. The pseudo-Texan culture an...more
Rhondda
What a piece of crap. The author only writes about himself in reaction to others and thinks this is funny. I can't believe he won the Leacock award. It is so surface and he just stereotypes the people. I guess in the new age of post modernism this passes for literature. Leacock had an enduring affection for the people he wrote about. This guy can't get past his nose. I only read to the end of the book because I live in the town he writes about. I would have tossed it otherwise. He gets so much w...more
Mette Bach
Mark Leiren-Young is so insightful and funny. It's a classic Vancouver book even though it takes place in the Cariboo. (I also didn't know what people had plugs in their engines for until I went to Alberta.) Leiren-Young's stories are all about being on the outside of this community of wacky characters yet finding his own way of fitting in. It's a story about earning stripes and learning the ways of the world. Love it!
Joelle Anthony
As a relatively new Canadian, I'm trying to read lots by Canadian writers. This was very funny at times, and extremely well-written. Because he's a news reporter in the crime capital of BC, it's a bit graphic at times for me. Actually, a lot graphic. But it's still a good read. There are things I read about that I wish I hadn't.
Shawn Bird
An amusing romp. Having lived in the Cariboo, I have to say these characters seem very familiar, and the amusing exploits are believable. Mark is a funny speaker, as well, so if you're looking for a good presenter at your next conference, invite him!
John
The story of a big city boy who goes to work for a small city newspaper. He covers everything from murders and child abuse trails to school board meetings and rodeo queen contestants. Quite funny in spots.
Garth
Fish out of water story. A young reporter from the city moves to rural BC for his first post-university job
Nicole
An amusing and believable fish-out-of-water story.
Kirsten Van Ritzen
a really fun tale of a fish out of water!
Tony
Funny and charming.
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Erin Boyington
Erin Boyington marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Axel Clarke
Axel Clarke marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Jullin
Jullin marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Leiren-Young is a Canadian journalist, screenwriter, playwright and occasional performer in the comedy duo Local Anxiety. He lives in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Mark Leiren-Young's first full-time journalism job was at "The Williams Lake Tribune," a small newspaper in Williams Lake, British Columbia. Twenty years later, he turned these experiences into a comic memoir, Never Shoot A Stampede...more
More about Mark Leiren-Young...
Free Magic Secrets Revealed Shylock The Green Chain: Nothing is Ever Clear Cut Articles of Faith Never Shoot a Stampede Queen: A Rookie Reporter in the Cariboo: 0