Yesterday I Had the Blues

Yesterday I Had the Blues

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Moods change from day to day, and you never know what tomorrow will bring. But one thing’s for sure: when you’ve got love around you, the blues won’t stick around long.
Published September 9th 2003 by Tricycle Press (first published August 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday I Had the Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday I Had the Blues

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineWhistle for Willie by Ezra Jack Keats
African American Picture Books
62nd out of 141 books — 60 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander RamseyEverywhere Babies by Susan Meyers
Multicultural Children's Lit
160th out of 304 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Renae Williams
The acrylic paintings in this book are amazingly done. This would be an engaging book for young children who are still learning colors because each page in this book features a new color. The story is well written and has a nice poetic feel.
Sara Hannon
1. Picture book, concept

2. A young boy describes a range of emotions that he and his family feel using a color and a poem to represent each.

3. The absolute strength of this book is the color. That would seem obvious, considering the title and summary of the book, but without it this book is not remotely as effective and entertaining. The illustrations are cute, painterly and a bit abstract, but still clearly depicting a real object. The wash of color, the monochrome pages is what really makes t...more
April
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Children's Literature says, "If people can have the blues, why can't they have the reds or greens or oranges? Why, there's no reason at all, as a young boy discovers in this story about moods and feelings. One day he feels the blues, not the blues like "the broken skate board blues" or the "Monday morning" blues but the "go away, Mr. Sun, quit smilin' at him" blues. The next day he has the "make you want to be Somebody" greens and he hopes that he'll get the sil...more
Karyn The Pirate
"Yesterday I had the blues... but today I got the greens." What does having the blues mean? How do you have the greens anyway? Frame brings us a whole rainbow of colors to feel in this wonderful story of one boy, his family and their range of moods and emotions.
This books screams to be read aloud. Read aloud in a slow, soulful voice. I loved it enough to read outloud in the middle of the Children's Department so everyone could hear me. Everyone nodded their heads in agreement as they listened to...more
Vicki
I love reading this book. It is in the picture book section of the children's area of the library. I read it like a poem. I think it's a great example of poetry with lots of feeling and color. It's set in an urban environment but colors of the rainbow are always tranferrable to other settings. The boy had the blues yesterday, the greens (happy feeling) today and is hoping that he will have the silvers tomorrow. Hoping for a new silver skateboard. In the meantime, his father has the greys, his yo...more
Chaselist
Chase read this book last fall and recently checked it out again in July, 2010. She wanted it for a birthday gift, but I could not recall the name of the book. She loved this one and read it over the phone to her dad when he was out of town. This book is full of vibrant colors and rhythmic sounds. It has a jazzy laid back feel. The characters are members of the same African American family who experience the world differently through different colors. Feelings are associated with colors. Chase l...more
Mckinley
Colors relating to moods and feelings.
Deidra
Written by Jeron Ashford Frame, illustrated by R. Gregory Christie. Published by Tricycle Press, copyright 2003.

Story about a boy and his family and how they express emotions through vivid colors.

Children will love the colors and great illustrations of this books. It is a great way to teach children that many emotions can be related and shown through color.

Possible themes/units: emotions, showing feelings through artwork
Kris
Yesterday, a boy had the blues, "those deep down in my shoes blues, the go away, Mr. Sun, quit smilin' at me blues."
But today he has the greens, "the runnin' my hand along the hedges greens", and his sister has the pinks, and watch out, because Mama has the reds!
Nice use of colors to show emotions, and Frame doesn't go for the trite or obvious, but keeps it relateable. Plus, it's illustrated by R. Gregory Christie - love!
Ashley Sandel
Audience: Kindergarten to second grade
Appeal: Children who like colors, children who are interested in feelings and things associated with them, black children and children of other races who have black friends
Application: Talking about colors, talking about feelings and what you might associate different feelings with, talking about how different colors make you feel and what you think they mean
Award: None
Alana Graham
I loved this book! The little boy takes the reader through a rainbow of emotions, each different and worthy of appreciation. This book does an excellent job of accepting each mood and color as it's own necessary experience. It also recognizes that just because one day might be blue, the next one will be different, keeping in mind that every color is needed to make life golden.
Alma Loredo
The little boy in the story uses colors as a way of describes both his own feelings and those of his family members. He would describe them as the blues or "those deep down in my shoes blues/ the go away, Mr. Sun, quit smilin' at me blues." He uses the colors greys, pinks, reds, silver and goldens. I think children will really enjoy seeing emotions described as colors.
ckodama152
Oct 22, 2011 ckodama152 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades PreK-2
Yesterday I Had the Blues is a book about colors. Frame describes how different colors around us make us feel. Each color described is related to a feeling, activity/event, or thing. A good companion for a class learning about colors and how different colors make us think of different things or capture a certain mood we're feeling.
Heidi
I really do not like this kind of illustration. I never have. But I really liked the story. So, so cute. I loved the colors being used in the story and the artwork. I loved the way feelings are portrayed. But I most especially loved the point at the end that tied the theme and message of family into it.
jacky
Dec 04, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool - primary
Shelves: tv, picture-books
This was featured on Between the Lions. This story describes the emotions we associate with colors. I liked these descriptions, except for green, which usually is paired with envy. I also would have liked the color descriptions to connect more. Nice illustrations.
Shanna
Dec 04, 2007 Shanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 1-6
A story about a boy and his family and all of the emotions and feelings they have in a day. This would be great for a poetry unit. I love the way the author takes colors and connects them to emotions. Very entertainging and easy to connect to.
Mary Ann
Fantastic book to talk about a range of emotions, and symbolism - how colors and music are associated with different feelings.

I first listened to this on OneMoreStory.com - a fantastic reading of it.
One of the better books about colors relating to the way that we feel. I love the way the author points out that the way we feel changes, even day by day, rather than having 'blueness' be perpetual!
Christy
Marcie
Wow! I can't believe I had never read this before. What a great read for an art or music lesson. It made me want to listen to Ken Nordine's Colors.
Martine
Best line of a picture book ever: "The get away quiting smiling at me, Mr. Sun, blues...Indigos. The kind of blues that made you want to act like the drapes.."
Sharonneika
This book describe moods and emotions with colors. It teaches children about moods and how they can change frequently. Good for 1st graders.
Debbi

Great children's book to generate discussion about metaphors for emotions. It has some beautiful rhythms, read aloud or enjoyed silently.
Michelle Nero
Feelings associated with colors -- most important is family: "the kind of family that makes you feel like it's all golden."
Kmamot
descriptive...word choice...poetry...rhythm!
You pretty much have to snap your fingers as you read this book!!
Candace
I did not like this book because of all the changing fonts. The author and illustrator tried to hard.
Tyanne
Dec 04, 2007 Tyanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-3
Shelves: realisticfiction
goes over colors and emotions specifically the emotions that go along with colors. This is a good book.
Teri
Jun 07, 2011 Teri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: colors
This book is mentioned a lot of places--and I just don't see anything really great about it at all.
Rusti
1 copy available
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Discovering Christmas: Practical Ideas for Churches and Families The Candle The Candle Discovering Oceans, Lakes, Ponds, And Puddles