Start by marking “The Story of Eli Whitney” as Want to Read:
The Story of Eli Whitney

The Story of Eli Whitney

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Newbery Award-winning author tells the story of the man whose inventive genius made cotton king in America and in the world. Eli Whitney transformed the textile industry with his invention of the cotton gin; and he revolutionized the manufacturing process around the world with his creation of standardized parts.
Published January 1st 2003 by Avyx (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Eli Whitney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Eli Whitney

Marni
I really enjoyed this story. I'm always looking for people worth emulation, and Eli Whitney definitely falls in that category. Great lessons in work and determination.

Latham weaves in some wonderful motivating life lessons, like how "Every great man was yesterday's nobody." They are pretty blatant, but I don't think it's terrible to have messages like that thrown at you.

We also get a great picture of the history of his time, especially national struggles and how his inventions were important wi
Darlene
I read this non-fiction biography aloud to my children.

I have to admit that I had never heard of Eli Whitney before I picked up this book! His invention, the "cotton 'gin" built in 1793, was the first of its kind to separate the seeds from the cotton bolls. Until that time, cotton was not a popular crop in the South because it took too much work. It would take all day just to seed one pound of cotton! Unfortunately, his invention was stolen and the thief started building and selling pirated mach
Becky
Mar 05, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
Read this aloud to my kids. It's amazing how little Eli Whitney profited from one of the most famous inventions of all time.
Meredith
Jun 11, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
Favorite Character: Eli Whitney
Melissa
Sep 14, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Such an interesting story about Eli Whitney. I had never realized all of the trouble he had over the years with his patents and inventions. I vaguely remember it being briefly mentioned in my elementary and high school history classes.
Jul 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
I love Eli's perseverance and determination. He was a great early American man who we can all learn much from, whether we invent things or not.
Lorena
Oct 09, 2013 Lorena rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to my kids. We all loved it! It is a great introduction to Whitney's life and his work. I highly recommend this book!
Tammy
Mar 18, 2010 Tammy rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book! Had no idea all the work Whitney put in to his things and all the steps backwards he had in the process.
Jill
Mar 20, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-the-kids
Great book - kids loved it, and so did I!
Jo
Feb 25, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it
Excellent Young Adult/Children's biography on the inventor. His life was so much more than the cotton gin. He invented movable parts for rifles and thus revolutionized the factory system. His story was a study on disappointment, failure, but ultimately victory through perseverance. Very inspiring.
Monite
Monite marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Barbara Petro
Barbara Petro rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Trinity
Trinity rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Linali
Linali marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
isaac
isaac rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
RubyRidingHood
RubyRidingHood rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Jan 16, 2016
Tonya Lockwood
Tonya Lockwood rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Laura added it
Dec 11, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
Sep 25, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Sep 04, 2015
BaseCampFamLibrary
BaseCampFamLibrary marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born on April 19th, Jean Lee Latham grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia. She attended West Virginia Wesleyan College, where she wrote plays and operated the county newspaper’s linotype machine. She earned a master’s degree at Cornell University. While completing her degree, Ms. Latham taught English, history, and drama at Ithaca.

Once she graduated, she became editor-in-chief of the Dramatic Publi
More about Jean Lee Latham...