Start by marking “The Story of Eli Whitney” as Want to Read:
The Story of Eli Whitney

The Story of Eli Whitney

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Newbery Award-winning author tells the story of the man whose inventive genius made cotton king in America and in the world. Eli Whitney transformed the textile industry with his invention of the cotton gin; and he revolutionized the manufacturing process around the world with his creation of standardized parts.
Published January 1st 2003 by Avyx (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Eli Whitney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Eli Whitney

I read this non-fiction biography aloud to my children.

I have to admit that I had never heard of Eli Whitney before I picked up this book! His invention, the "cotton 'gin" built in 1793, was the first of its kind to separate the seeds from the cotton bolls. Until that time, cotton was not a popular crop in the South because it took too much work. It would take all day just to seed one pound of cotton! Unfortunately, his invention was stolen and the thief started building and selling pirated mach
Read this aloud to my kids. It's amazing how little Eli Whitney profited from one of the most famous inventions of all time.
Favorite Character: Eli Whitney
Such an interesting story about Eli Whitney. I had never realized all of the trouble he had over the years with his patents and inventions. I vaguely remember it being briefly mentioned in my elementary and high school history classes.
I love Eli's perseverance and determination. He was a great early American man who we can all learn much from, whether we invent things or not.
I read this aloud to my kids. We all loved it! It is a great introduction to Whitney's life and his work. I highly recommend this book!
This was a really good book! Had no idea all the work Whitney put in to his things and all the steps backwards he had in the process.
Great book - kids loved it, and so did I!
Excellent Young Adult/Children's biography on the inventor. His life was so much more than the cotton gin. He invented movable parts for rifles and thus revolutionized the factory system. His story was a study on disappointment, failure, but ultimately victory through perseverance. Very inspiring.
Erica added it
Sep 25, 2015
Bonnie added it
Sep 04, 2015
BaseCampFamLibrary marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Janette marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Bonny marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Billy Goff
Billy Goff marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Nishyank Gelot
Nishyank Gelot marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Shalont is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
Stasia added it
Jan 14, 2015
Aubrey added it
Jan 12, 2015
Jessie added it
Jan 06, 2015
Ann marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born on April 19th, Jean Lee Latham grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia. She attended West Virginia Wesleyan College, where she wrote plays and operated the county newspaper’s linotype machine. She earned a master’s degree at Cornell University. While completing her degree, Ms. Latham taught English, history, and drama at Ithaca.

Once she graduated, she became editor-in-chief of the Dramatic Publi
More about Jean Lee Latham...