Start by marking “A Time to Stand: the epic of the Alamo” as Want to Read:
A Time to Stand: the epic of the Alamo

A Time to Stand: the epic of the Alamo

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On the morning of March 6, 1836, in an old abandoned mission called the Alamo, a small Texas garrison fought to the death rather than yield to an overwhelming army of Mexicans. Through the years the garrison’s heroic stand has become so clothed in folklore and romance that the truth has nearly been lost. In A Time to Stand Walter Lord rediscovers and recreates the whole fa
Mass Market Paperback, 207 pages
Published 1963 by pocket books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Stand

Matt
In reading, as in life, the hardest part is often figuring out where to start.

We used to struggle with too little information. Books were hard to find or out of print or never got published because the gatekeepers at the big publishing houses didn't think the book was worth creating. If you wanted to read about a certain subject, you'd go to a bookstore or library, where you might be confronted with a few time-tested titles.

Things have changed.

Now we struggle with too much information. Today,...more
Ken
I picked this book up at the Alamo. They had a number of books on sale about the battle but this one came with the highest recommendation.

The story encompasses the years proceeding the battle that drew men from around America to Texas, the siege of the Alamo, through to the destruction of General Santa Anna's army by Sam Houston's army. The book explores the passion of the men who gave up everything to start a new life in Texas and tries to explain why these men choose to die when they easily...more
Sean E.
As a collector of first edition Texas history books, this is one written by Walter Lord in 1961. I have read and studied this book at least seven or eight times. Each time in comprehend something more.

This epic adventure of the Alamo is like never before written. Walter Lord is also the author of A Night to Remember and The Good Years.

During my writing of Sisters of Mercy - The Runaway Scrape, Angelina Dickinson leads off the novel informing the families in Gonzales to begin running to the Sabi...more
Sarah (Warning: Potentially Off-Topic)
A readable treatment of a complex, hotly debated subject, but the use . . . of ellipses. . . is. . . distracting.
Kevin Symmons
I have always been a western history "Junkie". And one of the most compelling and heroic events in all western history is the 13 day stand of ~ 200 men at the Alamo, a rundown mission outside San Antonio, Texas. This story has all the stuff that legends are made of... a vastly outnumbered and outgunned group of volunteers against a disciplined, well equipped army that held a 30 to 1 numerical superiority (depending on whose numbers you chose). The Texans (though to be fair it must be remembered...more
Stanley Phillips
This was one of the first books I read as a kid. Maybe that's the reason I've taken such an interest in the struggle for Texas Independence. The book itself is more than just a tale about a mission fort. In fact, the story the book tells is as much about freedom loving people, as it is about the need to start a new life in a new land.
Jerry Hinson
I love it. again the minute by minute details it puts you there in the mist of the battle
Chad Bowers
A really good read on the history at the Alamo. I read this straight through in a couple of days. Recommended for anyone who is into learning more about the Alamo. Also, to me personally, it was interesting to read a snippet about a cousin of my ancestor, who was there.
Marc
The book attempts to chronicle, without hyperbole, the events of the Alamo; a somewhat difficult task given the mythology that surrounds this minor event. It was Mexico's only real victory in the war of annexation by the Americans. Good read though. Quite successful at avoiding the hyperbole.
Mark
Walter Lord, like McCullough and Stephen Ambrose, can make history read like a novel...a great example of how the "romantic" ideals of the War of 1812 bleed through time to encompass the Texas Revolution...no story of the Texas Revolution can be told without an account of the Alamo!!!
Meg
"Watched "The Alamo" - what a stupid film. Wanted to read a book and my dad had this one. Factual enough for the casual reader. Quick read."
Fredrick Danysh
Another version of the Battle of the Alamo during the Texas Revolution. It appears to have been written for middlw schoolers.
Shana
I read this book for an upper level Texas history course. I really enjoyed it. There is a lot of detail here and back story.
Jackson
Jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Ravyn
Ravyn marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Aug 23, 2014
William Lybrand
William Lybrand marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Esnellvideo
Esnellvideo marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
James White
James White marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Walter Lord was an American author, best known for his documentary-style non-fiction account A Night to Remember, about the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 2009 Jenny Lawrence edited and published "The Way It Was: Walter Lord on His Life and Books."
More about Walter Lord...
A Night to Remember Day of Infamy The Night Lives On Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway Miracle of Dunkirk