Start by marking “Brave Men” as Want to Read:
Brave Men

Brave Men

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  39 reviews

Europe was in the throes of World War II, and when America joined the fighting, Ernie Pyle went along. Long before television beamed daily images of combat into our living rooms, Pyle’s on-the-spot reporting gave the American public a firsthand view of what war was like for the boys on the front. Pyle followed the soldiers into the trenches, battlefields, field hospitals,
Published May 1945 by Grosset and Dunlap (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Men

Diana
A frank and honest depiction of the reality of front-line warfare in the second World War and the soldiers that fought it through the eyes of celebrated journalist Ernie Pyle. A legend even at the time for his camaraderie with the average enlisted men in the infantry, navy, air force, artillery, and others with whom he slogged through mud, huddled in foxholes, and chatted through countless sleepless nights, his descriptions are vivid, real, and poignant more than fifty years later. Building thro ...more
Land Murphy
Fantastic. To read this book is to understand why soldiers love Pyle. He understood them, and he told it like it was. Pyle does not describe the big picture of the war in Europe. He describes the day-to-day experiences of the GI. The infantry. The artillery. The air corps. The tankers. They are all here. Anyone with an interest in World War II must read this book.
Jeffrey Zygmont
This collection of dispatches from renowned WWII correspondent Ernie Pyle can grow almost tedious and repetitive at times, because it deals solely with the experiences of U.S. soldiers fighting the Germans, first in north Africa, then in Sicily and Italy, and finally in Normandy, France. But the book faithfully redeems itself and steps back from the brink of tedium, first by its organizational structure, which changes focus to different branches of the Service and different military occupations, ...more
Noah Miller
Brave Men, by Ernie Pyle, is a collection of articles written by the author who was a famous war correspondent, in the European Theater of War, during World War Two. Ernie spent time on the front lines with the average, everyday soldiers who were fighting the war so he could share with the American people what things were really like for their loved ones so far away. He wanted the people back home to understand what soldiers went through every day and the sacrifices they made.

In Brave Men, Ern
Joel
Oct 20, 2008 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring journalists and lovers of history and good writing.
Shelves: military-history
Pyle was what all journalists aspire to be, or should. He was succinct, funny, gritty, spared no details, honest, and kind. His writings were above all else poignant about what was happening in World War II and to whom it was happening. This book is a collection of his writings that he sent back from the front. For all intense and purposes, he was a soldier who wrote.
Sonny
One of the first and one of the all-time best of the "embedded reporters." Pyle became at one with the front lines and the units around him. The man traveled everywhere and even began to become a victim of the conflicts. Ernie's prose is magnificent and an inspiration to any would-be journalist. It is a shame that it is not required reading, these days...
J.
An excellent compilation of newspaper columns written by WWII war correspondent Ernie Pyle from the fighting in Europe and published in 1944. Pyle was killed the following year on Iwo Jima, but he was especially popular for his intimate style of reporting that focused on the perspective of soldiers instead of the generals.

He says about D-Day: "I want to tell you what the [invasion] entailed, so that you can know and appreciate and forever be humbly grateful to those both dead and alive who did
Chris Cecutti
As one of World War II's more prolific writers, one can only be amazed at how the clarity, truthfulness, and quality of his writings continued to strengthen through out the War. This book, "Brave Men," is his omnibus. It is with great sadness that I have sat and wondered what it would have been like to read his personal memoirs as well the many unwritten stories in the deep recesses of his mind, had he been able to outlive the tragedy that was WWII. For those of you not so familiar with his life ...more
Grant
I've read a lot of Ernie Pyle's columns over my years of study. Many anthologies of World War II writing have one of his pieces, and Dr Carol Reardon assigned a collection of his best work when I was her student in her American Military History course at Penn State. This, however, was the first time I read a body of his work as it appeared to contemporary readers. My copy, inherited from a family friend, was printed in 1944 and is laid out in a double-column format and with small print, to save ...more
Robin Hobb
This book is a gathering of the columns of war correspondent Ernie Pyle. It's an up close and personal look at World War II from a fellow who took his typewriter and went right to the front with the soldiers. The sections have headings such as Personalities and Asides, Light Bombers, Beachhead Fighters and Stand By. A bit from Beachhead Fighters. "That particular tank had everything in it from much-handled comic books to a pocket edition of the Bible. I saw old socks, empty tobacco cans, half cu ...more
Jon Shinefeld
War is waged by ordinary people from big cities and small towns, each of whom has a life with meaning. People unlike you and me - whose children and grandchildren will never be placed in harm's way - commit war. Moving stories of these people and how they retained their humanity in cruel, harsh conditions.
Kione
I've bean reading this book for a whole year.
It's basically articles put together from the paper that Ernie wrote for during WWII, about the solders and battalions that he toured with.
I tore through the first half and then stopped cold. It was becoming sad as to how many people Ernie had known in a short period; to live with, to work with and to see die.
I had to stop. He experienced everything every soldier was going through and living through it. And in the the way that Brave Men was written, E
Hope
Pyle was one of the most beloved journalists of the WWII era. This book details some of his experiences with G.I.s and manages to be heart breaking and heart warming at the same time. Wonderful writing.
dan
Oct 24, 2007 dan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Ernie Pyle was a WWII journalist. He has a nice, plain style, and is very patriotic and clearly loves being in the middle of the action. It's very different than the journalism we see now in the Iraq war, but the 40's were a different time and WWII was a different war, and all of those things come through in the book. He's completely uncritical of the military and war in general, which bothers me a little, but he's so in love with the experience and the people around him, and he has such an amia ...more
James Wetzel
Funny, sad, horrifying, personal and deeply moving first-person account following the war from the sands of North Africa to streets of Paris.
Ron Fitzwater
Aside from "All Quiet . . . " this is the grittiest and most honest look at the men who saved the world.
Variaciones Enrojo
Crónicas del periodista en el que se basara HGO para crear a su personaje Ernie Pike.
Clayton Brannon
One of the best books you will ever read about the every day life of the American soldier during WWII.
John Wilkins
Brave Men was a gift to me by a close friend, and my introduction to Ernie Pyle, one of the greatest journalists who ever lived. Ernie's theater was WWII, and it's hard to think of a reporter who comes anywhere close to Pyle's prose that captured an era so hauntingly well. Thank you, Ernie. We will never forget you, your service, and your typewriter. --jw
Ruth Ann
Pulled this from the box of books from my father-in-law's house. An excellent read starting with the WWII invasion prelude into Sicily (June, 1943) and ending in France (September, 1944). Great descriptions of individuals, the environment, and the logistics of moving troops through Italy and France. Ernie shapes the image of WWII for the American public.
karl
Aug 12, 2008 karl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs and world war 2 interests
I'm reading this right now. Its been a long read, not because its bad, no, actually its an amazing read. Its tough to read though. Pyle has an amazing ability to get you in the foxholes with "the greatest generation." I have to read this slowly and in small bits, because if I read it for long periods of time I have a hard time sleeping. I'm serious.
Sarah Sundin
Brave Men is a moving, realistic, and often humorous account of the US campaigns in Sicily and Italy.While so many books about World War II hover at the level of generals and politicians, Ernie Pyle's take you into the mud with the real men who fought. Pyle's affection and admiration for the average soldier, sailor, and airman shines in every word.
Simon Spero
I heard of a high British officer who went over the battlefield just after the action was over. American boys were still lying dead in their foxholes, their rifles still grasped in their dead hands. And the veteran English soldier remarked time and again, in a hushed eulogy only to himself, "Brave men. Brave Men!"
George
Written during World War II by famed war correspondent Ernie Pyle based upon a compilation of his newspaper columns.

I found this a fascinating and entertaining read and can understand why his columns were so popular with home front American readers. Provides a soldier's view of the war.
Andrew
I apparently now have two copies... one of the original printing and this printing. I don't feel I wasted any money as now I can page through the book to my hearts content reading individual stories without having to worry about ripping the cheap war time paper.
Fredrick Danysh
Ernie Pyle was a combat correspondant during World War II. He wrote about the men who did the actual fightingnduring the war and told their story. Like many of the men he wrote about, Pyle made the supreme sacrifice. A good historical read.
David
May 19, 2015 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful writing -- good journalism, good history. Very detailed, personal, poignant, vivid, humorous. (See other Goodreads reviews for more details.) I highly recommend. A valuable book. Everyone needs to read Ernie Pyle
Terry
No grand strategies, Pyle, who would lose his life on Okinawa, writes of the daily mud, fatique, fear, and death that accompanied the teens and 20-year olds who defeated Hitler's Reich.
Baxter Trautman
He was writing for the folks back home so paints as tidy a picture as possible of boys dying, bleeding, and missing their mothers. Best for what's between the lines.
Tom Cummins
This book is excellent - there was definitely a reason I found among my Dad's belongings. It is a fast, easy read, but I'm really taking my time on this one.
  • Up Front
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • Guadalcanal Diary
  • Ernie Pyle's War: America's Eyewitness to World War II
  • No Silent Night: The Christmas Battle For Bastogne
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor
  • The First And The Last
  • Rebel Private: Front and Rear
  • The Last Battle
Ernest Taylor Pyle was an American journalist who wrote as a roving correspondent for the Scripps Howard newspaper chain from 1935 until his death in combat during World War II. He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1944.

His articles, about the out-of-the-way places he visited and the people who lived there, were written in a folksy style, much like a personal letter to a friend. He enjoyed a following in
More about Ernie Pyle...
Here is Your War Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches Home Country Last Chapter Ernie Pyle in England