Start by marking “Cloud Nine” as Want to Read:
Cloud Nine

Cloud Nine

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,192 ratings  ·  173 reviews
What would you do with a second chance at life?

Sarah Talbot thought she’d never see another birthday. But against all odds, she beat the illness that could have killed her, reopened her bedding shop, Cloud Nine, and vowed to make the most of a fresh start that few are given. With Thanksgiving approaching, Sarah charters a small plane to take her to Elk Island, a remote spo
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Nine

This book made me put it down and just sob. What a heart touching story and a must read. One of my favorite Louanne Rice books.
This is the kind of book that my friends and I affectionately refer to as a "suicide book" - i.e. really sad. It might be an awful term to use when describing something...but this one definitely fits the bill.

I started reading this book several months ago, and for some reason I put it down. I only picked it up again the other day because I really wanted to finish it, even though I was pretty sure of what was going to happen to the main characters. I sobbed vehemetly for the last twenty pages or
The best word I can think of to describe this novel is “lovely.” Full of emotion, it’s the story of two people who find each other at a time in their lives when they are ready to be healed from the past and move forward in a relationship that is full of love and endless possibilities for happiness.
Several times, this book brought tears to my eyes. As I came to adore these characters, I found it more and more difficult to put it down. I wanted so much for them to find what they were looking for i
Sep 17, 2010 June rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking fo a sob story
Shelves: romance, love, death
I don't know that this deserves a 5 star rating, but it was definitely the right book at the right time for me. I fell in love with Susan/September/Secret/Snow/Sarah. Also, the portrayal of being a mother and wanting her son to find the right path really hit home for me. The need for people to say good bye still brings tears to my eyes. I think this is a book that is perfect when you need a good cry.
It was alright. I had trouble with the storyline. It was hard to suspend my disbelief. The author has moments of wonderful description. I did like the setting and emotion tied to the locations. I couldn't relate to the characters. This will probably be the last I read by this author.
Jun 19, 2011 Sofia added it
I read this book during a time I needed hope and inspiration, and this book inspired me to believe in the hope there is always another life, another chapter, another love, bonded moments with family, whether it be forever or after they die, true love never dies and real family ties are never broken. All of this, I found inside the plot, the story in Cloud 9. My first Luanne Rice novel to read, then I have devoured many, many more. She is a must definite must-read author at some point in your jou ...more
Smriti Brar
A wonderful read! The author has projected the characters and emotions in such a beautiful manner.
This book was a great read, a real dose of reality for those who have never lost a love one to a disease...........great characters, love lost, love found, the Heroine reminds me of a dear friend who recently passed away at the same age of the same disease. But my friend left her son, a little boy ...............a must read, yes it's a bit sad, but it will give you strenght and understanding.
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars. This could've been a sweet chick-lit, but it's tragically heartbreaking and dysfunctional. But this drama does not improve the story, but make it less predictable and less likeable.

* Set at Thanksgiving
* Sarah Talbot, cancer survivor
* Cloud Nine - down products shop
* Will Burke - rescue swimmer and hunky pilot
* Susan Burke - aka Secret, Snow - Will's daughter whom he adores
(view spoiler)
Suanne Laqueur
I usually love Luanne Rice but something was weird about this one. She just didn’t seem herself. I had the feeling she was really pushing every button she could, pulling all the right heart strings.

The characters didn’t seem very original…the Sulky Teenage Daughter, the Misunderstood Mom and her New Husband; the Dead Brother; the Estranged Son; the Angry Father who Can’t Show his True Feelings; and of course, Our Dying Heroine.

Every other chapter was a tear-jerker, some of them laughably contr
Luanne Rice's books are better when she adds hard situations. This one has a main character battling cancer. I find her books which only deal with romance/relationships rather dull.

I cried with this one.
Danjale Williams
A super easy read. Luanne really makes your feel like you're part of the story.I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it!
É um dos melhores da autora, triste mas sem dúvida um livro muito bom!
May 17, 2008 cactusrose2004 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to cactusrose2004 by: I found it on my own
"Thirty-seven-year-old Sarah Talbot's lengthy battle with cancer forced her to put life on hold. But a clean bill of health has given her a second chance and she's not about to take anything for granted. Intent on living life to the fullest, Sarah reopens her bedding shop, aptly named Cloud 9, and plans a trip to Elk Island, a tiny island off the coast of Maine, where her unfeeling father and runaway son wait. Family reconciliation has long been her heart's desire, and Sarah knows that now is th ...more
Laura Rittenhouse
It took me a while to get into this book but certainly I was engrossed by the middle. If it doesn't grab you right away, I'd suggest you stick with it.

On the surface Cloud Nine is a book about loss - loss of loved ones, loss of past, loss of connections. But it's more about the connections of the characters than the losses they've experienced. The connections between each other and the connections between each of them and their past. They've all suffered some loss (haven't we all?) and eventuall
Karyn L
Very emotional! I really liked Sarah and Will's story, but wished it could have been a happier ending for them. I could have done without so much of the ex-wife and stepfather (what a jerk!), but see how they were important to Susan's story. I would love to hear a continuation of this story, how things turned out for Mike especially and to catch up on those who were left behind.
Tammy Downing
This book started out like most of Luanne's books (which I adore) with a woman and man meeting and falling in love. Throw in some mixed up teenagers and a cranky father and the story stayed right on course. Then the ending. It was the saddest ending ever for one of her books and I cried reading it. All in all, a wonderful tale with a bittersweet ending.
It was a difficult book for me to get into. I couldn't relate to the characters or enjoy them. The dialog and conversations between the characters was often irritating. I thought Will Burke was the most complete character. But I certainly cried a lot at the end. The last quarter of this book was definitely heart-wrenching and was moving.
Carolyn F.
I read a review where the reader was upset with the author for purposely making the book a tearjerker by the story line and not from good writing. I didn't think there was a difference until this audiobook. The ending scene was just truly unbelievable and for someone who likes a good cry, this ending made me snort in derision.
Wow I was hoping this book was going to be one of the rare ... everything turns out happy ... I cried my eyes out. A really sweet story and very likable characters .. in fact all the characters were likeable. wish life could be like that ... liked it so much a thought I'd start another of her books and I'm liking it so far.
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"Sarah Talbot surely thought she'd never live to see another birthday. But against all odds, she beat the disease that threatened to take her life and she reopened her bedding shop, Cloud Nine. It is a new beginning for Sarah --- a fresh start at life that few are given. And Sarah is determined to take advantage of her newfound opportunity. On her first adventure --- a ride in a small chartered plane --- comes a chance meeting with a man who will change the course of her life.

These two
This was an extremely tough book to read. I wasn't aware or prepared for the content but by the time I realized it, I was too far in to stop reading.
Luanne Rice is such a wonderful author and I'm hugely disappointed that others are becoming less enthralled with her latest books. I haven't read probably her latest two or three and now I'm hesitant to read them. I'll finish reading what i have here before I get to her newest ones.
ANyway, this book was so full of hope and love and then devastation
Enjoyed this book. Loved the connection between the disabled young girl and a misfit. Beautiful story of connections and love through all kinds of difficulties.
Paula Hilson
Amazing one of my favorites by Luanne Rice. It was easy to like the characters flaws and all. It made you think and realize what is important in life
I totally enjoyed the bond between Sarah and her son! George was tough old man but his a very loving father and I simply adore Aunt Bess! Susan (Snow) this little, really knows how to do her thing! from being a stowed away to going back in elk island (that part of premise, truly touched my heart!) and of course Will (William Burke) HE'S SARAH TALBOT MAN!! such a moving story.. about love, family and finding the greatest joy and what it means!
I read this such a long time ago, I barely remember it. I know the sex scene was sad. I know the scar scene made me cry.

I may need to re-read this one.
Connie N.
Luanne Rice writes very emotional stories, and this one is no exception. She deals with relationships, families, loss, and hope. She writes with passion and compassion. This book is about a woman who faces cancer. But she isn't the only one who faces it--her entire family becomes involved, of course, as well as the people she meets along the way and come to love her. Life goes on, and other people need to make decisions about their lives despite what's happening to her. Some authors can write ef ...more
Predictable, but a good beach book! I enjoy her characters and settings. I'd recommend it if you want something quick that keeps you reading.
  • Heart of the Night
  • Small Town Girl
  • Summer by the Sea
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • By Summer's End
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • Homecoming
  • From Newlyweds?
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-one novels including THE LEMON ORCHARD. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice...