Start by marking “Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe: Travel Tales from America's Favorite Guidebook Writer” as Want to Read:

In Postcards from Europe, Rick Steves takes you on a private tour through the heart of Europe — introducing you to his local friends and sharing his favorite travel moments — from the Netherlands through Germany, Italy, and Switzerland, with a grand Parisian finale.

Whether you're dreaming in an armchair, have packed, or are unpacking, Postcards from Europe will inspire a l
Published March 17th 2009 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published August 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe

Freyja Vanadis
Nov 06, 2011 Freyja Vanadis rated it really liked it
The writing was great and I enjoyed reading about the various countries he visited, but I was surprised to see that he could be a bit of an ass in his dealings with other people. I mean, seriously: on his first trips, he made his clients sleep in on the ground in sleeping bags in huge tents with 400 other people instead of staying in hotels? Really, Rick? What exactly was the purpose of that? "To get a taste of the real Europe" doesn't cut it, because Europeans don't sleep in huge community tent ...more
Jenny
Sep 16, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this boo!. It was like reading about my first 8-country European trip back in 2000. Some great insights, regional/local travel tips and familiar faces were mentioned. Would like to do this trip again - maybe in 2025 to coincide of when St. Peter's Basilica opens its gigantic front doors once again. I suggest augmenting this book with "Mona Winks" - laugh your way through Europe's famous museums.
Jennifer McCullum
Nov 22, 2010 Jennifer McCullum rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rick Steves fans
I enjoy reading travel books and have used Rick Steves guides in the past. This book included reflections on places he has traveled and how his writing about them has sometimes changed their character. Loved some of the antidotes about American travelers from his European friends. Something I learned about Rick is that he supports legalizing drugs, especially marijuana. Who knew????
Emily
Aug 28, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
I finally finished this. It was a good travel story, but not super interesting. I don't think you can really experience the greatness about a city or culture unless you stay at least a week, definitely more than 2 days. But I love Rick Steves!
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I enjoyed some of the stories, and some of the stories made me uncomfortable when Steves told of shoplifting as a youthful traveler and having his early tour groups bed down in a 400-person tent just to watch his group members be uncomfortable in different circumstances.
Roxanne
Aug 18, 2012 Roxanne rated it liked it
I read the chapters on Gimmelwald, Club Rothenburg and Munich. Rick really gets off track. But now I want to go to Gimmelwald (Heidiland?)

Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Darren Okabe
Darren Okabe rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Luke A. Bunker
Luke A. Bunker rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Colin Mcfadden
Colin Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Kirstjen
Kirstjen rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Dawn DuBois
Dawn DuBois rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Thomas Tallerico
Thomas Tallerico rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
JACK E FINE JR
JACK E FINE JR rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Hannah Parrott
Hannah Parrott rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
SHS Media Center
SHS Media Center rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2011
Raji
Raji rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Joshua Forest
Joshua Forest rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Dale Latendresse
Dale Latendresse rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Rob Glass
Rob Glass rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Erik Deckers
Erik Deckers rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Bill Burch
Bill Burch rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Barbara Frey
Barbara Frey rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Kathie Zettervall
Kathie Zettervall rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...