Start by marking “AdaptAbility: How to Survive Change You Didn't Ask For” as Want to Read:
AdaptAbility: How to Survive Change You Didn't Ask For

AdaptAbility: How to Survive Change You Didn't Ask For

Learn the secrets to taking any change in stride.

“Change is hard,” we say, and it is even harder when change is thrust upon us. In today’s tough times, we may be forced to reinvent our career or downsize our lives; at any point in life, we may lose a love or a dream. Our first reaction to change we didn’t ask for may be to rail against fate. But what if we could see past
Published May 12th 2009 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about AdaptAbility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AdaptAbility

Emma
Jul 29, 2016 Emma rated it it was ok
Narrator was not enjoyable to listen to. Basically the moral of the book is "imagine your life complexly, try to see it from another perspective." Just internalize that and don't bother reading the book.
Victoria Klein
Aug 01, 2010 Victoria Klein rated it really liked it
After reading the first 10 pages, I knew AdaptAbility isn’t your run-of-the-mill self-help book. This is about strength. This is about power. This is about being prepared for any & all changes and, dare I say, welcoming them!

The most surprising thing about this book is the tone it is written in. It felt like M.J. was right there with me while I was reading it. The book is presented in a such a friendly, conversational tone that no matter what speed bumps or road blocks have come into your li
Chris Ross
Aug 06, 2015 Chris Ross rated it did not like it
I listened to the audio book narrated by M.J. Ryan, IT IS AWFUL! Dear M.J. Ryan, if you ever write another book, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT NARRATE IT YOURSELF, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL! Ryan's voice is monotone and it sounds as if she is sitting in her home office reading her book into her computer microphone. At one point in Disc 4 I could hear her turn a page.

The book is generally boring, trite, and not original. Ryan quotes a lot, and I mean a lot of material from other authors and researchers
Brian
Mar 16, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
Although I'm often skeptical about self-help books, I found the advice in this book to be very pragmatic and helpful. I also like that it's not a rose-colored glasses take on life. Plus, a lot of what she says is in line with what I've been into lately as a career counselor. "Branding" for job seekers is a concept whose time has come, and she does a good job with it.

I listened to this book on audio, which I checked out of my local library. I think it was read by the author, who has a very engag
Michelle
Aug 10, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
AdaptAbility was a good book, but not as good as 'This Year I Will'. Though the book definitely gave some valid ideas on how to deal with unexpected change, it skimped on the elements that I loved in This Year~the scientific, brain based elements that lead us into and out of the different mazes of our existence. There were bits and pieces of it, but it didn't have the depth that existed in the other book.

Ryan does a great job putting information out there that can be used and if you're someone w
Steve
Jun 22, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Dealing with change? Ryan provides a solid voice to coach people forward, beginning with examining the way one thinks about the situation. She directs a great deal of her attention to woman's perspectives and draws relevant content from the terrible divorce in her life, as well as the economic upheaval of 2008. I didn't feel that she was always speaking to me, but her ideas are well constructed, presented, and the writing is excellent. I never felt that this book got bogged down - the pace is ...more
Taracuda
Nov 26, 2014 Taracuda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I got this as a whim from the library and really enjoyed it. I've been sharing some of the advice with everyone I know who is dealing with change.

A word of caution, it does sometimes veer into the realm of meditations and mantras. That worked for me- I'm a fan of taking a few deep breaths and doing some yoga in an empty conference room when things are crazy- but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Ayna Al-mohsi
Feb 07, 2013 Ayna Al-mohsi rated it really liked it
This book help me to choose what is best for me and it gives me confident to do so. When I was lost and doubt myself, it makes me realize that I am not alone and I am not wrong. It is a great self-help book that I will always going to refer too if I might get lost again one day. Thank you M.J Ryan. :)
Mckinley
Sep 15, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Author is coach so a fair amount is explaining change happens and about her work experiences. Covers basics research and includes quotes.
Part 1 intro and Part 2 7 myths about change, Part 3 working with change 3 steps (below), Part 4

Steps: 1. accepting new reality, 2. expanding options, and 3. taking effective action.
Caryn
Nov 13, 2015 Caryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book to read over and over, whether the changes you are experiencing are asked for or not. Small essays for each topic so you don't have to spend a lot of time to receive some encouragement or a new way of viewing the situation.
Kristie J.
Oct 12, 2014 Kristie J. rated it liked it
Encouraging book to read when going through difficult times. Lots of good suggestions for dealing with unwanted changes (e.g. getting laid off, going through divorce, having to downsize your house, etc.).
Jadine
Apr 25, 2010 Jadine rated it did not like it
This was given to me after I experienced a singular event. The book is good, but didn't really apply to my paticular and strange situation. I think that it would be helpful for other people who are experience changes and decision making experiences.
Gini Beck
Jul 18, 2010 Gini Beck rated it liked it
This was a little gem of a book, some helpful suggestions and a lot of good common sense. I will probably refer back to it in the future for coaching clients. Not life-changing, but good, solid advice. Saw the author in Seattle and she is impressive, down to earth, practical, knowledgable.
Jeff Vankooten
Aug 19, 2011 Jeff Vankooten rated it it was amazing
A well researched book on change and our relationship with it. The findings are presented in a very casual and understandable way.
Katelynn Barnett
Jun 15, 2016 Katelynn Barnett rated it it was ok
Incredibly repetitive. I stopped reading about 2/3 of the way in. Some interesting ideas shared but overall a big snooze-fest.
Lorna
Oct 06, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
We are all more resilient than we think. There's always a gift to be found in what happens to us. Change isn't always positive, but fear is the true challenge of change.
Wai-kit Ng
Started well, but after half way through, the book degenerated. Too bad this book didn't live to its potential.
Alberto Lopez
Jun 26, 2016 Alberto Lopez rated it did not like it
Did not care for the book. To me, it seems directed at someone with too basic of understanding. It was too soft in content.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Aeden
Aeden rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kirstin Tesner
Kirstin Tesner rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Chrissann Nickel
Chrissann Nickel rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Pat Herndon
Pat Herndon rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
مناير
مناير rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
May 23, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Norma
Norma rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
MJ Ryan is one of the creators of the New York Times bestselling Random Acts of Kindness series and the author of The Happiness Makeover (nominated for the 2005 Books for Better Living award in the Motivational category), Attitudes of Gratitude, The Power of Patience, Trusting Yourself, The Giving Heart, and 365 Health and Happiness Boosters, among other titles. Altogether, there are 1.75 million ...more
More about M.J. Ryan...