Start by marking “Half-Minute Horrors” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,157 ratings  ·  236 reviews
How scared can you get in only 30 seconds?
Dare to find out!

Dive into the shortest, scariest, spine-tinglers, hair-raisers, and eye-poppers ever created.

These instant thrills come from astounding talents, including Lemony Snicket, James Patterson, Neil Gaiman, R.L. Stine, Holly Black, Brett Helquist, and many more. You’ll never look at your closest door, your cat, your sock
Hardcover, US, 141 pages
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperCollins

Dracula by Bram StokerGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Shining by Stephen KingFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Best Books to Read for Halloween!
49th out of 361 books — 490 voters
The Monstrumologist by Rick YanceyAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeRabbits in the Garden by Jessica McHughBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalThe Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey
YA/Children Mystery And Horror
12th out of 76 books — 152 voters

More lists with this book...

Pseudonymous Bosch
Neil Gaiman
Lemony Snicket
Gail Carson Levine
Brett Helquist

I could go on forever...

So, I'm not huge on horror. Most of these stories I didn't find very horrifying... But some of my favorite authors were working on it so I just had to get it! I discovered some short, bizarre stories, none of which too scary to me, but nonetheless frightening for children under the age of ten. Except for the biscuit one.. I really didn't understand that...

Fine, I'm a huge Pseudonymous Bosch fan an
Reading Teen (Andye)
One day, I was at the library with a friend and I saw this book on the shelf. Just laying there, waiting to be picked up. And, upon picking it up, there was absolutely no contemplation on whether or not I should read it. This is probably the best short story book I've read since Jon Scieszca's Guys Write for Guys Read, which I recommend to anyone of the male category. It took one night to read and, it was so good that I put off eating dinner for a whole five minutes before putting it down. And, ...more
Susan
The best description of this short book is in its index. For example:

Basements/cellars, 49, 82
Mirrors, 7, 10, 72, 98
Moans, 59, 123
Monsters, 5, 27, 72, 75, 8
Laurel
How scared can I get in thirty seconds? Well, I decided to find out. I picked up this book upon seeing the words "half-minute". This greatly appealed to my fluctuating attention span, which that day was extremely short. Overall, the stories were good; some more than others. It was interesting to see some of the big name authors that had contributed. My favorite, and in my opinion the creepiest, was "At the Water's Edge". Something about the lack of information the reader is given coupled with th ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Is it possible to be scared in a matter of seconds....

Yes and no, some of these extremely short stories were creepy, others were weird, and one or two made me shiver. More often than not I was entertained but there were a few that just left me confused.

This collection boasts quite a few prominent names like Neil Gaiman and R.L. Stine but almost across the board I was unimpressed by what these big names had to offer with James Patterson receiving the honor of crafting my least favorite "A Grand
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lesley for TeensReadToo.com

With over thirty stories, from one paragraph to two pages, these are written to scare kids and adults alike from your favorite Young Adult authors. Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, R.L. Stine, and even James Patterson have written for this frightening anthology.

Not only are there short stories within the book, but there are also comic strips, poems, and even haikus and limericks included in the mix to creep under your skin.

Some art in the book is drawn for you to
Nesa Sivagnanam
I absolutely love this collection. The stories really only do take a half minute each to read and here's a sample.

The Goblin Book by Brad Meltzer

On his deathbed, my grandfather gave me The Goblin Book.
"It'll work for you," he whispered. "It will."
Don't worry. I was confused too. I didn't like creepy old grandfathers who talked in riddles. It was annoying.
But he explained how it worked. How a reader - usually a smart one - would be holding a book, lost in a story. And then the book would feel odd
Alyssa Archambo
If you’re looking for a book to read aloud to your kids (or your classroom!) during Halloween time, this is the one to pick up. It includes various genres, such as short stories, haikus, comics, limericks, etc. Also, with monsters under the bed, possessed toys, alien parents, ghosts, and a handful of other things, Half-Minute Horrors pretty much covers all the bases for creepiness.

The stories are short (I think the longest one was a little over 2 pages), yet incredibly entertaining. Yes, there a
Miss Bookiverse
Von allen Kurzgeschichtensammlungen, die ich bisher gelesen habe, ist das hier wohl meine liebste. Sie enthält über 70 Mini-Geschichten, wie der Titel schon sagt: halbminütige Horrorstories, die meisten also nur eine Seite lang. Zur Auflockerung gibt es zwischendurch auch ein paar Comics oder illustrierte Limericks.
Das Schöne an dieser Sammlung ist, dass die Geschichten sich nicht auf lustigen Kindergrusel reduzieren, sondern wirklich einige gruselige Schocker dabei sind (natürlich nicht mit Spl
Orrin Grey
I'm not usually a big fan of flash-fiction in most of its forms, but one of the places it works best is with scary stories, and the authors on the docket for this one made it something I couldn't ignore: M.T. Anderson, Holly Black, Richard Sala, Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood (?!), and lots, lots, lots more.

It was actually a lot of fun. The stories are all pretty slight, as you might imagine, but they're often clever, and there's a nice blend of comics, poems, one-paragraph stingers, and slightly-
Aad
Sesuai dengan judulnya Half-Minute (cerita-cerita dalam buku ini pendek-pendek dan bisa dibaca tidak lebih dari setengah menit) Horrors ( semua cerita bertema horor. Sebagian cerita benar-benar horor, sebagian lagi kurang terasa horor-nya, malah beberapa ada yang bikin senyum-senyum dan bikin bingung, karena ini buku anak-anak mungkin hal itu bisa dimaklumi.) Proyek buku ini bisa dibilang sebuah upaya persekongkolan para penulis terkenal untuk menakuiti anak-anak. :)

Ada dua cerita yang menurut s
Katie
Mar 10, 2013 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any fan of the horror genre
The first time I looked at this book, I was in the library, looking for some scary stories. I picked it up. Didn't look too interesting; the cover looked a little too humorous to be scary. I almost put it down.

I am so glad that I decided to bring it home and read it.

This book really, legitimately scared me in some very clever ways.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm hard to scare. It's easy to freak me out. But this book is something more. It was clever and original and just plain fun to read.

The
Nick
Incredible! All my favorite authors, all the people I followed and love, combined into one spine-tingling, sensational short-story novel. With over 50 short stories including comics, scary art, haikus, short stories and more, this sure to keep you reading for a while. Although they aren't "scary" they are entertaining and some of them are creepy enough to make you shiver for the time being. A collection of horrors is just what I needed. Seeing as though I can't decide which author to read a book ...more
Tanya W
Really for older children... maybe not even for children even though they really like it and beg me to read them more. A collection of very short horror stories by various authors (some lasting 30 seconds and others 1-3 minutes).

This is a horror book, without the gory details. I thought it would be cool to read a few during the Halloween season. To me the stories are scary and some awful (not because of the writing but because of the scary content). I guess I'm not a horror story lover. I give i
Devon
For those children that can handle it, this books is ton of fun!!! But. . . .

WARNING!!! This book may not be for children under the age of 12 or anyone with an overactive imagination. Some of the stories are downright horrifying and jaw droppingly inappropriate for a younger audience even though it is suggested to be for ages 8-12. This book would scare the crap out of most 8 yos I know. The babysitter story was enough to keep me from giving this to a friend of mine with a 10 yo boy.

Parents - pl
Alyssa
This was a very cute anthology. Some of the stories did stand out. It was a very fast read, but I quite enjoyed it.

Great stories:

"The Old Man in the Picture" by Richard Sala
"The Legend of Alexandra and Rose" by Jon Klassen
"Trick" by
Katey
I picked this up thinking the promise of half-minute horrors would hold the attention span and interest of my fiance's son, but no. I would say then this book would be more for at least an age of 10+, since while some of the stories just fall flat, there are literary techniques and story telling methods that many beginning readers don't particularly grasp.

Plus, some of the stories are just too scary/creepy for young kids. I think so, anyway. And so do the goblins under my bed.
Chris
One- to two-page horror stories, some told with graphics, most without, by many of the top writers in the business today. Many hits, a few not-hits (no real misses). Quite an excellent choice for anyone looking to be scared (or find new tales to tell around the campfire). One favorite:

The Legend of Alexandra and Rose
Sumi
There's a wide range of types of scary stories in this one - some are obviously scary stories for kids, and some are the more disturbing types that you'd want to save for some of the older ones. There is a little index in the back that might be helpful when looking for a particular story, although it didn't work for the one I was looking for (there's no heading for murder, only crime"
Mcruz
Me ha gustado bastante esta colección de mini relatos de terror. Como promete el título, ninguno dura más de 2 o 3 páginas. Y hay muchísimos.
Por supuesto en una antología tan amplia no todos los relatos son de una calidad excepcional, pero muchos me han sorprendido muy gratamente. He descubierto varios nuevos autores entre los que destaca Jon Klassen. Algunos autores me han decepcionado un poco, como Neil Gaiman. Esperaba ansiosa llegar a su relato y me ha parecido de los más flojos de la antolo
Dennis
don't let the cover fool you - this one is not for younger children. the truly all-star lineup of authors and illustrators took their assignment seriously. the stories are grade-school level without being dumbed down. many of them really creeped me out. some of them could keep you awake at night.
Greg Bates
This book is basically My First Creepypasta™ for kids. It's made me realize the main difference between standard horror fiction and 'creepypasta' is the latter is unconsciously aping the writing style of those old Scary Stories/Tales For the Midnight Hour books we all read as kids.
Michelle
These half-minute horrors were awesome. They are soo much quicker than short stories -I don't know why there aren't more of them done.They provide just the bit of a jolt you need to feel either frightened or think hmmmm.
Johara Almogbel
Excellent collection of scary stories. Some are meh, others are brilliant, and the rest is inbetween, but I enjoyed it very much. (The cover's a definite plus.)
David Schaafsma
A great collection with many many have authors who were challenged to scare young people in about an half minute of writing. Some opt for the quick joke, and that seems okay, given the audience. This can't be Lovecraftian or slasher fare; think RL Stine, with a range of contemporary twists. Some fail, but there is a lot of good writing here. There's a book sort of like this for adults about "knifepoint" horror, the challenge being, like flash fiction generally, to bring you to the story's climax ...more
Xetws
Man, i really liked this book. Not that i am an immediatist, but we can't deny that we are living in an age where everything is lightning speed with tons of information every nanosecond.
Yep, the book is something like this but is a lot more.
With names like Lemony Snicket, Joseph Delaney, Neil Gaiman and many more, accepting the challenge to tell a full horror story in about thirty seconds, is a real delight to devour and have that goosebumping feeling that you are still a child reading horror wi
Izlinda
I found this book on Amazon.com, though I forgot the pathway to it.

I admit being pulled to it when I saw Neil Gaiman, Katherine Applegate (also known as K.A. Applegate, author of Animorphs!), R.L. Stine (man, did I love his Goosebumps series when I was younger!), Melissa Marr, Holly Black, Margaret Atwood, Avi, Libba Bray, Faye Kellerman, Gail Carson Levin, Gregory Maguire, Joyce Carol Oates, Lemony Snicket and Jerry Spinelli contributed to it. I was lucky that it was available through the inte
Patrick
Mom, you will like this...well, most of it. Funky Halloween stories that literally take 30 seconds to read, all by different authors including many of the most famous YA authors. I think I counted 72 stories. There are fabulous little stories, creepy ones, illustrated graphic novel-type ones, and a couple funny ones. Lemony Snicket, Kenneth Oppel, Jerry Spinelli, Avi, Gail Carson Levine, Neil Gaiman, Lane Smith & Jon Scieszka, etc. Many names I recognize, but cannot place what they wrote wit ...more
Danielle
edited by Susan Rich
Featuring stories by Lemony Snicket, Neil Gaiman, James Patterson and more.

This collection of scary stories (each approximately 30 seconds) was put together for and published with the help of First Book.

Admittedly, I had only read works from a few of the authors in this book and just recognised the rest by name. The stories were cute and fun, but I wasn’t scared. (A couple were, I thought, a bit absurd and felt that it was a bit endearing of them to be so.)
My Sibling The My...: Half-Minute Horrors 3 5 Oct 15, 2014 01:55AM
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • Skeleton Man
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness
  • The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Wolfman
  • The 13 Best Horror Stories of All Time
  • Cuentos Por Telefono
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Aligned (Immortal Essence, #0.5)
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • Guys Read: Funny Business (Guys Read, #1)
  • Happily Ever After
  • Sympathy for the Devil
There is more than one author with this name
More about Susan Rich...