Start by marking “Half-Minute Horrors” as Want to Read:
Half-Minute Horrors

Half-Minute Horrors

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,713 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
How scared can you get in only 30 seconds?
Dare to find out!

Dive into the shortest, scariest, spine-tinglers, hair-raisers, and eye-poppers ever created.

These instant thrills come from astounding talents, including Lemony Snicket, James Patterson, Neil Gaiman, R.L. Stine, Holly Black, Brett Helquist, and many more. You’ll never look at your closest door, your cat, your sock
Hardcover, US, 141 pages
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperCollins

Aug 14, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Pseudonymous Bosch
Neil Gaiman
Lemony Snicket
Gail Carson Levine
Brett Helquist

I could go on forever...

So, I'm not huge on horror. Most of these stories I didn't find very horrifying... But some of my favorite authors were working on it so I just had to get it! I discovered some short, bizarre stories, none of which too scary to me, but nonetheless frightening for children under the age of ten. Except for the biscuit one.. I really didn't understand that...

Fine, I'm a huge Pseudonymous Bosch fan an
Reading Teen
Feb 16, 2011 Reading Teen rated it it was amazing
One day, I was at the library with a friend and I saw this book on the shelf. Just laying there, waiting to be picked up. And, upon picking it up, there was absolutely no contemplation on whether or not I should read it. This is probably the best short story book I've read since Jon Scieszca's Guys Write for Guys Read, which I recommend to anyone of the male category. It took one night to read and, it was so good that I put off eating dinner for a whole five minutes before putting it down. And, ...more
Susan
Jan 13, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
The best description of this short book is in its index. For example:

Basements/cellars, 49, 82
Mirrors, 7, 10, 72, 98
Moans, 59, 123
Monsters, 5, 27, 72, 75, 8
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Not even a minute to scare you... coolio.

Nesa Sivagnanam
Feb 16, 2011 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this collection. The stories really only do take a half minute each to read and here's a sample.

The Goblin Book by Brad Meltzer

On his deathbed, my grandfather gave me The Goblin Book.
"It'll work for you," he whispered. "It will."
Don't worry. I was confused too. I didn't like creepy old grandfathers who talked in riddles. It was annoying.
But he explained how it worked. How a reader - usually a smart one - would be holding a book, lost in a story. And then the book would feel odd
Taha
Dec 01, 2014 Taha rated it really liked it
ÇOK KORKUNÇTU!!!
description
-Tam aradığım türde bir kitaptı bu: Lafı uzatmadan, birkaç cümle ve/veya paragraf ile etkileyici hikayelerin anlatıldığı bir kitap. Ama ben kapağına aldanıp, daha çok çocuklara yönelik bir korku kitabı olduğunu sandım. Yanılmışım.
-Kitabı dün gece, küçük yeğenlerimi korkuttuğum karanlık apartman boşluğuna bakan kapkaranlık odada evdeki herkes uyurken okumaya başladım. Daha ilk birkaç hikayeden itibaren tırsmaya başladım.
description
-Biraz sonra dışarda gök gürleyip şimşekler çakmaya da başla
jasmine
Feb 17, 2015 jasmine rated it it was amazing
when you hear about a book of half-minute horrors for children, you kinda just shrug your shoulders and decide that you'll read it as a quick, easy filler in between books, right? but here's the thing: you're wrong. this book was absolutely not a buffer. it was actually creepy - and i say this as someone who reads a lot of horror books, so it's not like i'm just a wimp or something. most of these bite-sized tales were incredibly clever, and they took some quick twists and turns, and some of them ...more
Whitney
Aug 02, 2016 Whitney rated it did not like it
Nope, nope, nope, nope. I picked this up because I'm a sucker for short stories (in this case flash fiction, which is fascinating when done right), because of the dazzling array of authors, and because (I'm only a little ashamed to admit this) about all I can handle in the way of horror is that meant for younger readers. I am also intrigued by the recent popularity of "two-sentence scary stories," which can also be too much for me, but which, even I have to admit, are kind of genius.

But right fr
Laurel
Oct 09, 2009 Laurel rated it liked it
How scared can I get in thirty seconds? Well, I decided to find out. I picked up this book upon seeing the words "half-minute". This greatly appealed to my fluctuating attention span, which that day was extremely short. Overall, the stories were good; some more than others. It was interesting to see some of the big name authors that had contributed. My favorite, and in my opinion the creepiest, was "At the Water's Edge". Something about the lack of information the reader is given coupled with th ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Jan 09, 2010 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Lesley for TeensReadToo.com

With over thirty stories, from one paragraph to two pages, these are written to scare kids and adults alike from your favorite Young Adult authors. Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, R.L. Stine, and even James Patterson have written for this frightening anthology.

Not only are there short stories within the book, but there are also comic strips, poems, and even haikus and limericks included in the mix to creep under your skin.

Some art in the book is drawn for you to
Sam Williamson
Feb 04, 2016 Sam Williamson rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Most of the stories were just really not even entertaining, never mind scary. Even for children. The ones that were vaguely unsettling relies more on gross out horror than anything else. I was pretty let down considering I enjoy a lot of the authors that contributed and really liking short form horror. Oh well.
Monika Havlasová
Starší děti už to asi nevyděsí, menším bych to zase moc nedávala. Mě přišlo spousta příběhů opravdu dost nechutných a hororových. Každopádně to doporučuji páťákům, klukům, kteří neradi čtou, a těm se to líbí. Jsou to opravdu kratičké příběhy, které zvládnou.
Alyssa Nelson
If you’re looking for a book to read aloud to your kids (or your classroom!) during Halloween time, this is the one to pick up. It includes various genres, such as short stories, haikus, comics, limericks, etc. Also, with monsters under the bed, possessed toys, alien parents, ghosts, and a handful of other things, Half-Minute Horrors pretty much covers all the bases for creepiness.

The stories are short (I think the longest one was a little over 2 pages), yet incredibly entertaining. Yes, there a
Laura Guilbault
Apr 16, 2017 Laura Guilbault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I want more!
Aleshanee
Es waren ein paar witzige und originelle Geschichten dabei - insgesamt hatte ich mir aber doch etwas mehr erwartet
Callie Rose Tyler
Jun 01, 2014 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it
Is it possible to be scared in a matter of seconds....

Yes and no, some of these extremely short stories were creepy, others were weird, and one or two made me shiver. More often than not I was entertained but there were a few that just left me confused.

This collection boasts quite a few prominent names like Neil Gaiman and R.L. Stine but almost across the board I was unimpressed by what these big names had to offer with James Patterson receiving the honor of crafting my least favorite "A Grand
Tracy Gomez
Aug 28, 2015 Tracy Gomez rated it liked it
"Half -Minute Horrors" was about scary, creepy, and spooky stories. Some of them were good and pretty creepy but some of them were not so creepy and not so good. Some good short stories were, "The Chicken or the Egg", " The Old Man in the Picture", " Grand Entrance", "Tenton", Hank", and a lot of other ones. My favorite one was, "An Easy Gig". It was mostly creepy. The shorter stories and the poems are really easy to read. Some of the stories are hard to understand. " Halloween Mask" was hard to ...more
Daisy
Oooh, scary. I love the idea of this book and I think some really interesting results came out of it. I found many of the stories to be predictable, repetitive and just plain stupid, but most of them were pretty cool and there were some really great ones, so I would say this book is worth the read if you're interested. I read the first 20 pages or so of stories at night by candlelight, and I actually ended up being really freaked out. The story 'An Easy Gig' by M. T. Anderson disturbed me so muc ...more
Aad
Nov 06, 2012 Aad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sesuai dengan judulnya Half-Minute (cerita-cerita dalam buku ini pendek-pendek dan bisa dibaca tidak lebih dari setengah menit) Horrors ( semua cerita bertema horor. Sebagian cerita benar-benar horor, sebagian lagi kurang terasa horor-nya, malah beberapa ada yang bikin senyum-senyum dan bikin bingung, karena ini buku anak-anak mungkin hal itu bisa dimaklumi.) Proyek buku ini bisa dibilang sebuah upaya persekongkolan para penulis terkenal untuk menakuiti anak-anak. :)

Ada dua cerita yang menurut s
Auggie
Feb 04, 2014 Auggie rated it really liked it
Quite frightening! I certainly wasn't expecting the stories the be as disturbing as they were. I suppose that I thought that horror for children had been really washed out. I base this on the fact that the "Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark" series got new covers because the old ones were apparently too horrifying for the kids.

I grew up on those scary story books and don't remember being too horrified (I was properly horrified, not too horrified).

Some of these stories went over my head a bit, I
Orrin Grey
Apr 23, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a big fan of flash-fiction in most of its forms, but one of the places it works best is with scary stories, and the authors on the docket for this one made it something I couldn't ignore: M.T. Anderson, Holly Black, Richard Sala, Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood (?!), and lots, lots, lots more.

It was actually a lot of fun. The stories are all pretty slight, as you might imagine, but they're often clever, and there's a nice blend of comics, poems, one-paragraph stingers, and slightly-
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Though the quality of these stories was uneven, overall I enjoyed the book, and some of the stories were really good. Lemony Snicket's opening story, "Something You Ought to Know," is possibly my favorite. I also particularly liked the stories by Kenneth Oppel, Angela Johnson, Jon Klassen, Gloria Whelan, Holly Black, Nadia Aguiar, Allan Stratton, and Alice Kuipers. However, I think the most ingenious story is by Jenny Nimmo, and it's just 18 words long! Some stories didn't really make sense to m ...more
Miss Bookiverse
Von allen Kurzgeschichtensammlungen, die ich bisher gelesen habe, ist das hier wohl meine liebste. Sie enthält über 70 Mini-Geschichten, wie der Titel schon sagt: halbminütige Horrorstories, die meisten also nur eine Seite lang. Zur Auflockerung gibt es zwischendurch auch ein paar Comics oder illustrierte Limericks.
Das Schöne an dieser Sammlung ist, dass die Geschichten sich nicht auf lustigen Kindergrusel reduzieren, sondern wirklich einige gruselige Schocker dabei sind (natürlich nicht mit Spl
Jamie
Mar 10, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any fan of the horror genre
The first time I looked at this book, I was in the library, looking for some scary stories. I picked it up. Didn't look too interesting; the cover looked a little too humorous to be scary. I almost put it down.

I am so glad that I decided to bring it home and read it.

This book really, legitimately scared me in some very clever ways.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm hard to scare. It's easy to freak me out. But this book is something more. It was clever and original and just plain fun to read.

The
Leah
Nov 16, 2016 Leah rated it liked it
Super cute!

But don't be fooled, there are creepers in this little collection. My (adult) mouth dropped open in shock at the bleak tone of some of these flash fictions. See "The Legend of Alexandra & Rose" by Jon Klassen as my favorite example. That one was so utterly disturbing yet so honest about the almost psychopathic selfishness displayed by small children. *shivers*

Most of the "stories" are set in a bedroom (yes, including and especially the closet), a haunted house, or outdoors; I was
Alejandra torres
Feb 06, 2015 Alejandra torres rated it it was amazing
i think this book is a very scary/horror book because it makes me have the shivers and makes think about more in the book.i could prove this book makes me have shivers and makes me think about more in the book because in one part of the story its says " no I'm first says the egg. no I'm first said the chicken. no i am. no i am. ok "said the chicken your first and pecked the egg seven times until you see all the yellow blood coming out from the egg." but i guess who's last "said the chicken with ...more
Madison
Nov 08, 2015 Madison rated it it was amazing
"Half-Minute Horrors" by Lemony Snicket and more is a lot of stories that are scarier than the last. This book had me on the edge of my seat through each and every one of these stories. I recommend "An Easy Gig" by M.T Anderson. This is one of my favorite stories in this book because it has the modern day teenager laziness and I like the more modern day stories. Another one I recommend is "My Worst Nightmare" by R.L. Stine. I liked this story because it's the typical horror story. Your worst nig ...more
Kaethe
Jan 27, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Grabbed of of the children's shelf for the kid who likes spooky stories, as well as for me.

***

Well, the Wolfchild is still working on it, but I've finished my read. A really strong collection of sudden fiction, some truly creepy, some funny as anything. I particularly like the addition of comic-style stories.

***

Some of the stories were a little puzzling to us, so I read them out loud and the three of us figured them out. Actually, a couple of them remained puzzling to us; enigmatic. But overall,
Tanya W
Oct 28, 2011 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Really for older children... maybe not even for children even though they really like it and beg me to read them more. A collection of very short horror stories by various authors (some lasting 30 seconds and others 1-3 minutes).

This is a horror book, without the gory details. I thought it would be cool to read a few during the Halloween season. To me the stories are scary and some awful (not because of the writing but because of the scary content). I guess I'm not a horror story lover. I give i
Devon
Nov 11, 2009 Devon rated it liked it
For those children that can handle it, this books is ton of fun!!! But. . . .

WARNING!!! This book may not be for children under the age of 12 or anyone with an overactive imagination. Some of the stories are downright horrifying and jaw droppingly inappropriate for a younger audience even though it is suggested to be for ages 8-12. This book would scare the crap out of most 8 yos I know. The babysitter story was enough to keep me from giving this to a friend of mine with a 10 yo boy.

Parents - pl
My Sibling The My...: Half-Minute Horrors 9 15 Oct 24, 2015 07:35AM
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Halloween
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • The Zombie Chasers (The Zombie Chasers #1)
  • Tales of Mystery and Madness
  • The Wolfman
  • A Dignity of Dragons
  • Funny Business
  • The Wikkeling
  • Liar, Liar: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Deception (Liar, Liar, #1)
  • Aligned (Immortal Essence, #0.5)
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • The Wonder Book
  • Cuentos por teléfono
There is more than one author with this name
More about Susan Rich...