Start by marking “A King of Infinite Space” as Want to Read:
A King of Infinite Space

A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  893 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Awake in the darkness, long after midnight, Long Beach Homicide Detective Danny Beckett is trying to keep his past at bay. Haunted by all the things he's lost - his wife, his family, his hope - he begins to investigate the brutal murder of Elizabeth Williams, a popular High School English teacher. Soon Danny begins to understand that apprehending the murderer is not just a ...more
Published May 8th 2009 by World Parade Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A King of Infinite Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King of Infinite Space

Jim
This is the second Long Beach Homicides novel I read by Tyler Dilts, but the first that he wrote and published. A King of Infinite Space takes its title from Hamlet: "O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."

Long Beach homicide detective Danny Beckett definitely has bad dreams. His wife Megan had died several years previously in a grisly crash sandwich between two trucks, and his homicide cases have an eerie way of mes
Sam
I don't read too many crime novels, but this one kept me interested from beginning to end. The characters are very real and the action is strong. It is also extremely realistic. Dilts has some fantastic descriptions in the book and has obviously done his homework on how detectives work.
Sophie
Johnny
A solid police procedural set in Long Beach, California. Well told and well written, a meat and potatoes mystery. This really feels like the beginning of a long series, which means that we are only getting the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to character. It's what the author should do, but it's always frustrating when you know you have to get through three or four books to really dig deep into the characters and the relationships. It's true with McBain, Sjowall & Wahloo, and most proc ...more
Anna Mavromati
Oh hey, this is the box where the review goes...

Awesome book. And not just because I kind of know the author. :)

Love how Danny's past unravels as we get further into the case. The characters are so well drawn out I almost feel like they're people I know in real life, and that helped balance the murder investigation with human elements of the story really well. Plus, I was psyched that I was able to guess who the killer was *right* before it was actually revealed in the story. I don't know much
Shawney Bell
I borrowed this from Kindle Prime because I got the third in this series as a Kindle First selection - I hate starting in the middle of a series! Excellent police mystery. Moved along quickly (I read it in 7 days) and really held my interest. Lots of background in this book about Detective Beckett so I'm glad I started with these one. Am looking forward to #2! If you enjoy modern-day murder mysteries, I highly recommend this one.
J.R.
Haunted and guilt-ridden by the tragic death of his wife and their unborn child, Detective Danny Beckett is in limbo, taking refuge in the routine of his job and alcohol. The brutal murder of a teacher—who he eventually learns had ties to his past—gives his life a new incentive.

There are familiar aspects to this novel. But Dilts manages to lift this above a routine police procedural and into something more literary. Though I targeted the killer early on, I was still intrigued by the rapport betw
Schuyler Wallace
Tyler Dilts is my favorite new author. Of course, I change my favorite author as often as I change my undershorts—every week or so, at least. “A King of Infinite Space” is Dilts’s first novel, written about four years ago, and the first of his Long Beach mystery series featuring detectives Danny Beckett and Jennifer Tanaka. I just read “A Cold and Broken Hallelujah” and was so impressed I wanted more, so I went to Dilts’s first effort to see if he is for real. He is.

Beckett and Tanaka are an inv
Seth
I really loved this book. Tyler did a superb job of creating the world of a cop and leading us through it with his main character Danny Beckett. Beckett has real concerns, life, breath, and humanity... all things that really build the depth of the novel and give backbone to the action here.

Dilts kept things moving with tight, visual dialogue and characters making moves on every page.
I was blown away by this book! Read it for yourself and see!
Silpa Parmar
Gosh, as far as crime novels go this was incredibly boring. I can't understand on what basis this is rated as high as it is.

By about halfway through, nothing of note had happened and at that stage, I guessed that nothing of note was really going to happen in the second half of the book either. No tension was built at... it felt like a meek meander through a whodunnit saga. We never really find out the whole story of Danny and Megan, the side storyline with Jen and her aikido student (Rudy?) is
Dave
A King of Infinite Space by Tyler Dilts is the first book in
his Long Beach Homicide series and a very good read. Actually,
I read the third book first via Kindle First, and it too is a
good read, but I liked this one a bit more.

Typically I prefer to read a series in order and in this case
it's important, the major character development happens in this
book, which is not unusual.

It's a typical murder mystery with a viscious crime to solve,
a few interesting suspects and not too much to go on exce
Meotzi
There are three books in this series so far and I read them backwards so some of the stuff was repetitive for me. They can be read as stand alone books, though, because the author does give explanations.
I like the way this author puts a murder investigation together. He gives the impression that he is familiar with police protocol and knowledgable about how officers work together on teams.
The main character has some issues and is working through them. He manages to find some bits of self-revel
Mary
The only reason to keep reading this "who done it" is to see if you are right. I figured it out as soon as the character was introduced. I won't give away the identity of the killer here, but I am pretty sure you will be sorry if you waste your time on this novel. I am sorry I did. It includes about every cliche that you will find in detective fiction.
Amy
After reading Dilts's third book as a free Amazon Prime pre-release download, I also got a link to buy his first two books for $1.99 each. After how much I enjoyed the third, how could I resist? It is pretty obvious this book was written by the less seasoned author. It isn't as well crafted as his third book. And I did stay pretty ahead of any attempted mysteries most of the way through.

Truth be told, from an objective standpoint I shouldn't enjoy this book as much as I do. But something about t
Christine Lowe
Remembering Long Beach

Having grown up in Long Beach this book caught my eye. It was easy for me to visualize the detectives whereabouts and that added to the interest of the story.

This is Tyler Dilts first book. It is a decent debut book but it's not a page turner. His focus was more of a character study of the main protagonist Danny and his partner Jen.

If your looking for an easy read with some accurate information on police procedure, you'll enjoy this book. There were some interesting plot
Clifton
Although not my favorite genre (detective/mystery fiction), this is a fine first novel, worth reading especially for anyone who lives in or knows Long Beach.
Kim
This is a terrific series. I'm enjoying reading a series from a policeman/detective point of view where the main character is a honest, realistically-drawn character. Sure, he has flaws as we all do, but so many times characters walk over that line between being honest & dishonest (even though it is supposedly for a 'good' reason). This character manages to walk that line without being dishonest.

Also love the way there is such a clear depiction of the differences between the way men & w
Corey Holst
A detailed police procedural on the streets of Long Beach. A hard boiled "detective-on-the-edge" story of redemption and personal struggle.
Amy
Great read, and I have already started on the second book in the series.

The characters are well formed, the words well chosen, and it's very easy to feel like you're in the main character's head. I finished it in one day because I didn't want to stop reading.

It didn't hurt that I was a CSULB student ages ago and grew up near Long Beach, so the locales were all familiar. I felt like I was back home again.

My favorite part? It was a hard choice, but I fell madly in love with "He left no tone unster
Patricia
Danny Beckett is damaged goods, definitely residing on the “dent” side of the scratch-and-dent aisle. The major crack in his psyche occurred about two years prior when his wife died in a horrendous auto accident. Although Danny was in no way responsible for that accident, knowledge gained after her death has led him to blame himself for her being in her car on that particular road at that particular time. All he has now are nightly, traumatic dreams, his job as a Long Beach, CA, homicide detecti ...more
Jim A
A King of Infinite Space, a quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet, is a well written police procedural involving a homicide. Homicide detective Danny Beckett shows the same empathy that Connelly's Bosch has for the victims and the same doggedness in the chase.

Readers familiar with southern California, especially the Long Beach area, will appreciate the way the author takes one around the city. He does for Long Beach what Connelly and Crais do for Los Angeles, or Tom Corcoran does for Key West and the
Larry Hoffer
If you're a fan of the detective/PI-typed mystery, I highly recommend that you read Tyler Dilts' The King of Infinite Space. If you follow my book reviews, you know this is a genre I tend to read a lot of, so I'm pretty particular about this type of book. And after reading the entire book in a day (thanks, insomnia) I am shocked that this is Dilts' first book.

Beth Williams, an English teacher, is brutally murdered one night in her classroom. Long Beach Detective Danny Beckett and his partner, J
Sandie
A KING OF INFINITE SPACE by Tyler Dilts is being released just in time to tap into the “take it along on your vacation” market. This tale of a couple of Long Beach California detectives named Danny Beckett and Jen Tanaka is a page turner and the perfect vehicle for a few hours of addictive escapism.

The reader is allowed to ride along with the investigating officers and see what they see. During their investigation into the brutal murder of a local high school teacher, Beckett’s past comes back
Jenny
Dilts's writing is at times distracting -- like when a character in the first book was born 7 years after me yet finished college 2 years before I did, and not because she was a prodigy (just because of an editor who's bad at math, I suppose) -- and once he even lost track of which character was speaking, but despite some minor roughness I really enjoyed this book. Compelling characters, a good pace, and and a good story. I started the next one in the series right away.
William
When I read a novel that makes constant references to contemporary products, places, and events I am a bit disappointed tha the author evidently does not have the ambition to make his work enduring, more able to withstand the passage of time and be appreciated by that reader two decades from now.
Notwitstanding the fact that this work will most likely not be found in some anthology of American literature in the year 2040, it is a very good read. Well paced. Good characters. And an interesting pl
Claire
I was really loving this book. The storyline was interesting and had just the right amount of 'police-talk'. I find that a lot of mystery/crime books can get overly technical in their police lingo that makes them either difficult to understand or boring. This book didn't have that. Tyler Dilts struck just the right balance.

I was super into the story and hadn't made the connections to who the killer was. Before I realized it, there were only 10 or so pages left and the author hurriedly solved the
Erin
I tore through this book really quickly. The plot was interesting, and the author kept the story moving fast, so there was always new info to find out. I usually don't guess the identity of the killer until the big reveal, but I actually guessed this right away. I don't think the author did a great job of discussing motive definitively, though. That was one area I'd like to see clarified. But I liked the detective characters, and was interested in their character development as much as the story ...more
Tricia
A King of Infinite Space by Tyler Dilts

This is Tyler Dilts' debut novel featuring homicide detectives Danny Beckett and Jen Tanaka.
The novel opens with the vicious death of a high school teacher. Not only is there a murder to be solved, but Dilts peels away the layers of his lead protagonist, Danny Beckett. Still tormented by the death of his wife, we get an inside look at Beckett and what motivates him.
Not only was the murder mystery engaging but the relationship between the detectives and t
Loves2read
I read the first book last (of the current three). Frankly, these books are so good that I am going to read them again in order. I never say that.
Danny Beckett and Jen Tanaka are some of the best written characters. The references to music and current events actually add to the story. Usually, it's more annoying than helpful.

Tyler Dilts need to continue the series. Danny and Jen have an unresolved 'thing'. :-)
Jim
This is a standard crime novel, the first in a series, with a first-person narrative from homicide detective Danny Beckett. The hook for me was the setting: in and around Long Beach, California, down to the familiar neighborhoods and restaurants. The name of the high school is found is changed to protect the alumni, but if your heart quickens to a Potholder Cafe reference or snarky comments about Bixby Knolls, you'll appreciate the name-dropping detail. If you're not familiar with Long Beach, th ...more
  • Final Price
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • True Detective
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill #2)
  • Love Alters Not (The Golden Chronicles, #4)
  • The Basement
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Clandestine
  • Kiss Me or Die
  • Kisses to Remember
  • The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)
  • The Grove
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 3: A Darkness More Than Night / City of Bones / Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #7-9)
  • Land of Shadows
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Internecine
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
The son of a policeman, Tyler Dilts grew up wanting to follow in his father's footsteps. Along the line, his career goals changed, but he never lost his interest in the daily work of homicide detectives. Now an instructor at California State University in Long Beach, his writing has appeared in "The Los Angeles Times," "The Chronicle of Higher Education," "The Best American Mystery Stories," and i ...more
More about Tyler Dilts...
A Cold and Broken Hallelujah (Long Beach Homicide) The Pain Scale Scoundrels: Tales of Greed, Murder and Financial Crimes

“Arguing with a lawyer is about as good an idea as feeding an alligator raw beef from your palm. I was ready to give up, but Jen” 1 likes
“Union.” 0 likes