Start by marking “A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide, #1)” as Want to Read:
A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide, #1)

A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  2,040 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Awake in the darkness, long after midnight, Long Beach Homicide Detective Danny Beckett is trying to keep his past at bay. Haunted by all the things he's lost - his wife, his family, his hope - he begins to investigate the brutal murder of Elizabeth Williams, a popular High School English teacher. Soon Danny begins to understand that apprehending the murderer is not just a ...more
Published May 8th 2009 by World Parade Books (first published 2009)

Jim
Nov 09, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: los-angeles, noir
This is the second Long Beach Homicides novel I read by Tyler Dilts, but the first that he wrote and published. A King of Infinite Space takes its title from Hamlet: "O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."

Long Beach homicide detective Danny Beckett definitely has bad dreams. His wife Megan had died several years previously in a grisly crash sandwich between two trucks, and his homicide cases have an eerie way of mes
Larry Hoffer
If you're a fan of the detective/PI-typed mystery, I highly recommend that you read Tyler Dilts' The King of Infinite Space. If you follow my book reviews, you know this is a genre I tend to read a lot of, so I'm pretty particular about this type of book. And after reading the entire book in a day (thanks, insomnia) I am shocked that this is Dilts' first book.

Beth Williams, an English teacher, is brutally murdered one night in her classroom. Long Beach Detective Danny Beckett and his partner, J
Sam
Jun 08, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing
I don't read too many crime novels, but this one kept me interested from beginning to end. The characters are very real and the action is strong. It is also extremely realistic. Dilts has some fantastic descriptions in the book and has obviously done his homework on how detectives work.
Johnny
Jul 22, 2011 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid police procedural set in Long Beach, California. Well told and well written, a meat and potatoes mystery. This really feels like the beginning of a long series, which means that we are only getting the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to character. It's what the author should do, but it's always frustrating when you know you have to get through three or four books to really dig deep into the characters and the relationships. It's true with McBain, Sjowall & Wahloo, and most proc ...more
rick.
Dec 13, 2015 rick. rated it really liked it
This is my second Tyler Dilts book and before I get into the review I just want to acknowledge that Dilts' book titles are fantastic, lifted from brilliant quotes tied to the theme, and his music tastes are impeccable. If I ever write a book I want Tyler Dilts to name it and make me a mix tape.

Detective Danny Beckett is a thoughtful and diligent cop, haunted by the violence he has seen on the job and the loss of his wife. He can barely sleep for the nightmares and settles himself a little to fre
Sophie
Mar 20, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it
Ed
Apr 23, 2016 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Police procedural crime fiction is all about the cops isn't it? Harry Bosch, Lucas Davenport and Harry Hole are modern examples of brilliantly constructed protagonists that carry their books by the sheer force of their unique personalities. They either jump off the pages in some way or they don't. Tyler Dilts debut mystery/thriller introducing Long Beach California police detectives Danny Beckett and his partner Jennifer Tanaka belong in this elite group of compelling fictional police detectives ...more
William Korn
Jan 03, 2015 William Korn rated it it was ok
Tyler Dilts' Long Beach based detective/police procedural novels were recommended to me by a friend well known to the Goodreads community, the prolific and very wise Jim Paris. He seldom leads me wrong with his recommendations, no matter how outre they might seem. Having said that, I've read the first two books in the series, and have yet to share Jim's enthusiasm. There were things I liked about this, the first of the three in the series, but there were more things I didn't like.

What I really I
Silpa Parmar
Oct 20, 2014 Silpa Parmar rated it it was ok
Gosh, as far as crime novels go this was incredibly boring. I can't understand on what basis this is rated as high as it is.

By about halfway through, nothing of note had happened and at that stage, I guessed that nothing of note was really going to happen in the second half of the book either. No tension was built at... it felt like a meek meander through a whodunnit saga. We never really find out the whole story of Danny and Megan, the side storyline with Jen and her aikido student (Rudy?) is
Anna Mavromati
Sep 29, 2009 Anna Mavromati rated it really liked it
Oh hey, this is the box where the review goes...

Awesome book. And not just because I kind of know the author. :)

Love how Danny's past unravels as we get further into the case. The characters are so well drawn out I almost feel like they're people I know in real life, and that helped balance the murder investigation with human elements of the story really well. Plus, I was psyched that I was able to guess who the killer was *right* before it was actually revealed in the story. I don't know much
Carol Bro
Feb 09, 2016 Carol Bro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Book of Infinite Intrigue

Loved the relationship between Danny & his partner, Jen and the sarcastic--sometimes funny--asides by the main character, Danny, throughout the story. They helped define his character. Lastly, as a former resident of Long Beach, I especially enjoyed the many references to old haunts & landmarks in that fair city. It was a pleasant stroll down Memory Lane.
Shawney
Oct 11, 2014 Shawney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-prime, kindle
I borrowed this from Kindle Prime because I got the third in this series as a Kindle First selection - I hate starting in the middle of a series! Excellent police mystery. Moved along quickly (I read it in 7 days) and really held my interest. Lots of background in this book about Detective Beckett so I'm glad I started with these one. Am looking forward to #2! If you enjoy modern-day murder mysteries, I highly recommend this one.
J.R.
Jun 19, 2010 J.R. rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Haunted and guilt-ridden by the tragic death of his wife and their unborn child, Detective Danny Beckett is in limbo, taking refuge in the routine of his job and alcohol. The brutal murder of a teacher—who he eventually learns had ties to his past—gives his life a new incentive.

There are familiar aspects to this novel. But Dilts manages to lift this above a routine police procedural and into something more literary. Though I targeted the killer early on, I was still intrigued by the rapport betw
Catherine Macarthur
May 13, 2015 Catherine Macarthur rated it liked it
A hard boiled detective story. Good writing, but the ending was a little flat. Final clues fell into place a little too easily.
Amy
Aug 04, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, and I have already started on the second book in the series.

The characters are well formed, the words well chosen, and it's very easy to feel like you're in the main character's head. I finished it in one day because I didn't want to stop reading.

It didn't hurt that I was a CSULB student ages ago and grew up near Long Beach, so the locales were all familiar. I felt like I was back home again.

My favorite part? It was a hard choice, but I fell madly in love with "He left no tone unster
Jim A
Aug 20, 2014 Jim A rated it really liked it
A King of Infinite Space, a quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet, is a well written police procedural involving a homicide. Homicide detective Danny Beckett shows the same empathy that Connelly's Bosch has for the victims and the same doggedness in the chase.

Readers familiar with southern California, especially the Long Beach area, will appreciate the way the author takes one around the city. He does for Long Beach what Connelly and Crais do for Los Angeles, or Tom Corcoran does for Key West and the
Schuyler Wallace
Aug 16, 2014 Schuyler Wallace rated it it was amazing
Tyler Dilts is my favorite new author. Of course, I change my favorite author as often as I change my undershorts—every week or so, at least. “A King of Infinite Space” is Dilts’s first novel, written about four years ago, and the first of his Long Beach mystery series featuring detectives Danny Beckett and Jennifer Tanaka. I just read “A Cold and Broken Hallelujah” and was so impressed I wanted more, so I went to Dilts’s first effort to see if he is for real. He is.

Beckett and Tanaka are an inv
Jenny
Sep 14, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dilts's writing is at times distracting -- like when a character in the first book was born 7 years after me yet finished college 2 years before I did, and not because she was a prodigy (just because of an editor who's bad at math, I suppose) -- and once he even lost track of which character was speaking, but despite some minor roughness I really enjoyed this book. Compelling characters, a good pace, and and a good story. I started the next one in the series right away.
Seth
Aug 08, 2009 Seth rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Tyler did a superb job of creating the world of a cop and leading us through it with his main character Danny Beckett. Beckett has real concerns, life, breath, and humanity... all things that really build the depth of the novel and give backbone to the action here.

Dilts kept things moving with tight, visual dialogue and characters making moves on every page.
I was blown away by this book! Read it for yourself and see!
Merle
Nov 09, 2015 Merle rated it liked it
Good beginning to the Long Beach Homicide series. Detectives Danny Beckett and Jen Tanaka are called in to find the person who brutally murdered a high school teacher in her classroom. The case becomes complex and winding, even with the forensic evidence supplied.

Danny and Jen both have personal issues roiling their feelings and emotions, and it sometimes makes it difficult to see their case. In any event, this one becomes the one that got away, especially after the revelations that arise from t
Dave
Aug 21, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
A King of Infinite Space by Tyler Dilts is the first book in
his Long Beach Homicide series and a very good read. Actually,
I read the third book first via Kindle First, and it too is a
good read, but I liked this one a bit more.

Typically I prefer to read a series in order and in this case
it's important, the major character development happens in this
book, which is not unusual.

It's a typical murder mystery with a viscious crime to solve,
a few interesting suspects and not too much to go on exce
Mary
Nov 06, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
The only reason to keep reading this "who done it" is to see if you are right. I figured it out as soon as the character was introduced. I won't give away the identity of the killer here, but I am pretty sure you will be sorry if you waste your time on this novel. I am sorry I did. It includes about every cliche that you will find in detective fiction.
Amy
Aug 13, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
After reading Dilts's third book as a free Amazon Prime pre-release download, I also got a link to buy his first two books for $1.99 each. After how much I enjoyed the third, how could I resist? It is pretty obvious this book was written by the less seasoned author. It isn't as well crafted as his third book. And I did stay pretty ahead of any attempted mysteries most of the way through.

Truth be told, from an objective standpoint I shouldn't enjoy this book as much as I do. But something about t
J.D.
Aug 11, 2014 J.D. rated it really liked it
It's not often these days that I can literally read a book in one sitting, but I did with this one. It's short, fast moving, with an engrossing whodunnit type mystery, an interesting setting, and a lead character to pull for. Recommended.
Colleen Wilkowski
Oct 08, 2014 Colleen Wilkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story

This was a good story line. Well told. I would have given a 5 but for me the outcome became obvious much earlier than revealed.
Keith
Mar 03, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great crime story

Tyler Dilts' has created a compelling, well crafted homicide whodunit. Detectives Beckett and Tanaka are a great team, rivaling Harry Bosch.
Christine Lowe
Remembering Long Beach

Having grown up in Long Beach this book caught my eye. It was easy for me to visualize the detectives whereabouts and that added to the interest of the story.

This is Tyler Dilts first book. It is a decent debut book but it's not a page turner. His focus was more of a character study of the main protagonist Danny and his partner Jen.

If your looking for an easy read with some accurate information on police procedure, you'll enjoy this book. There were some interesting plot
Clifton
Jul 27, 2009 Clifton rated it really liked it
Although not my favorite genre (detective/mystery fiction), this is a fine first novel, worth reading especially for anyone who lives in or knows Long Beach.
Kim
Aug 20, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific series. I'm enjoying reading a series from a policeman/detective point of view where the main character is a honest, realistically-drawn character. Sure, he has flaws as we all do, but so many times characters walk over that line between being honest & dishonest (even though it is supposedly for a 'good' reason). This character manages to walk that line without being dishonest.

Also love the way there is such a clear depiction of the differences between the way men & w
Corey Holst
Jan 04, 2010 Corey Holst rated it really liked it
A detailed police procedural on the streets of Long Beach. A hard boiled "detective-on-the-edge" story of redemption and personal struggle.
  • Final Price (Paul Chang Mystery, #1)
  • Sanguinet's Crown (Sanguinet Saga, #8)
  • Off Limits
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • Kisses to Remember
  • True Detective (Nathan Heller, #1)
  • Recovery (Nicci Beauvoir #2)
  • Kiss Me or Die
  • Deeds of Mercy (Mark Taylor, #3)
  • Internecine
  • Bone Hook (Lei Crime, #10)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 3: A Darkness More Than Night / City of Bones / Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #7-9)
  • Declaring Spinsterhood
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Telegraph Hill
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • The Basement
The son of a policeman, Tyler Dilts grew up wanting to follow in his father's footsteps. Along the line, his career goals changed, but he never lost his interest in the daily work of homicide detectives. Now an instructor at California State University in Long Beach, his writing has appeared in "The Los Angeles Times," "The Chronicle of Higher Education," "The Best American Mystery Stories," and i ...more
More about Tyler Dilts...

Long Beach Homicide (4 books)
  • The Pain Scale (Long Beach Homicide, #2)
  • A Cold and Broken Hallelujah (Long Beach Homicide, #3)
  • Come Twilight (Long Beach Homicide, #4)

“Arguing with a lawyer is about as good an idea as feeding an alligator raw beef from your palm. I was ready to give up, but Jen” 1 likes
“Don’t get old, son. You only wind up one of two ways—bitter asshole or sentimental fool. And the hell of it is, you never even get to choose.” 0 likes