Start by marking “The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction

The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction

Artist and Craftsman As a Christian novelist, you're both. You know the soaring creativity of the Creator and the serious discipline of the artisan. And you feel the impulse to excel in each. So grab a steaming mug of your favorite hot drink and come learn the art and craft of Christian fiction from one of its master teachers. You'll learn: How to find your story amidst ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Marcher Lord Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction

Ron
Jan 28, 2014 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
I wish I'd read this book ten years ago. (I wish it had been written ten years ago.) In one, relatively compact and readable volume Gerke outlines many of the really important things a writer needs to know.

This book is a compilation of blog-like essays on various aspects of writing arranged by topic. It gets the job done. It is especially valuable as it addresses some of the unique issues related to writing Christian fiction. His treatment of dealing with obscenity is close to profound.

A very go
Elizabeth Van Tassel
Jeff Gerke calls it right in his tips for writing fiction. He helps those of us seeking to write clean yet amazing stories to overcome stereotypes and really invest more in our characters, plots, and twists to make the reader really engage with the whole experience. He'll give you the litmus test for your novel so you don't step in the quicksand of easy answers and platitudes. Excellent book about writing. On my recommended shelf! And an amazing author and inspiring person as well! Thanks, Jeff!
Kerry Nietz
May 06, 2011 Kerry Nietz rated it it was amazing
In the interest of full disclosure, I’m an author that knows and has worked with Jeff Gerke. He was the editor for two of my novels, in fact. I respect his knowledge and opinions. They are very logical and, if followed, will not only make you a better writer, but make your stories better as well.

In The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction you will find the essence of what Jeff teaches as an editor, publisher and writing instructor. It is like having him in the room with you as you write
Carole Cudnik
Aug 25, 2014 Carole Cudnik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-of-writing
Don't let the word "Christian" in the title put you off if you need help writing fiction. This book will help most fiction fiction writers, period. The author uses examples from popular movies to help you learn to set scenes and POV. He walks you through problems some authors have with show vs. tell.

The author is a former owner of a small publishing company which focused on Christian speculative fiction and science fiction. He knows his stuff! The book is currently available on Kindle Unlimited,
Christy Luis
Jan 28, 2013 Christy Luis rated it really liked it
This was a great book on writing craft. The workbook I completed along with it maximized the experience, for me. I learned a lot about plotting, which may be the weakest point in my skill set.
Although it says "Writing Christian Fiction" on the cover, it isn’t specifically geared to teach "writing for the Christian market.” Jeff Gerke wrote this book “for Christians who are writing fiction.” I liked that, because I plan on writing for a non-Christian market. That's my plan for now anyway :) This
Cathrine Bonham
Aug 11, 2015 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for writers. I learned so much from this book that I feel like my writing will instantly improve after reading it. Also the authors voice is so full of excitement for his craft and is so encouraging that it will instantly inspire you to go sit down and write something.
The only downside that I could find in this book is that Jeff Gerke keeps talking about a book called The Art and Craft of Editing and Selling Christian Fiction. As far as I can tell no such book exists.
Rachel
Aug 07, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Chock full of advice, This book kept me turning pages like it was a well crafted fiction novel (which is what it was teaching about so that's good). The advice and lessons were wonderfully put forth with examples from movies, books, or something the author just made up to get his point across with excellent reasoning. My copy is now covered in highlights with items I will use in my books. There only one or two things I might disagree with but, other than that, this book was just what I needed to ...more
Bill
Feb 11, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I posted a review. Frankly, life just got in the way and I have been in survival mode on many levels. That being said, I am a great admirer of Jeff Gerke's craft books. If you want to write Christian fiction, this is an excellent addition to your bookshelf. My personal takeaways were to spend more time developing characters and to avoid the pitfall of telling rather than showing.

Good stuff!
Viktor
Nov 14, 2013 Viktor rated it really liked it
Although Jeff can be quite pigheaded at times ("Don't let any paragraph go longer than 8 lines", "When it comes to dialogue, stick with 'said'."),it is very helpful to be led to think through the classical issues like the relative value of telling, showing, describing; or narration through the eyes of the POV character, etc. A good starter for new authors, with here and there a markedly Christian perspective.
Rebecca Minor
Jun 14, 2010 Rebecca Minor rated it really liked it
Jeff Gerke's fast paced manual of tips for the Christian author offered me many great reminders of the concepts I need to watch for in my own writing. The information is broken down into digestible chunks, with each chapter getting to the core of the issue it discusses in a clear way. (And how could I help but love that many of the examples Jeff uses are from movies I know and adore?) A definite good read.
Bethany F.
Oct 25, 2010 Bethany F. rated it really liked it
An amazing resource. Practical advice from an editor, writer, publisher, and a first and foremost a Christian. A funny easy read that really changed my writing!

If we could only get this book into more wannabe authors. We need good Christian fiction!
Lauren
Mar 29, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
Provides some good ways to tackle the questions that Christians writers might have. For example, what level of violence and language is okay? Is it okay to have an antihero? While he doesn't provide strict, definite answers (a good thing) he does give out tips on approaching the questions.
Laurie Smith
Jul 15, 2016 Laurie Smith rated it it was amazing
While reaching for another book on the shelf at the library, the spine of Gerkes's book caught my eye. I flipped through the pages and realized it was exactly what I needed. After finishing the book in one day, I ordered a copy to have for future reference.
NormaCenva
Mar 06, 2013 NormaCenva rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian writers,
Liked the book a lot, straight to the point. a lot of useful information, presented in a manner that is helpful and simple.
Dee Waite
May 17, 2012 Dee Waite rated it really liked it
An excellent and well written book on helping you become a successful Christian fiction writer. If this is your goal, this book is your tool. A must read for the Christian fiction writer.
Pauline Creeden
Dec 20, 2011 Pauline Creeden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and useful resource. I learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses.
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2016
Robin Sampson
Robin Sampson rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Gregory Walker
Gregory Walker rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Nadine Brandes
Nadine Brandes rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Valerie Smith
Valerie Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Allan Calarion
Allan Calarion rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Jane Hollingsworth
Jane Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Brandt Cozad
Brandt Cozad rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2011
Cherise
Cherise rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015