Start by marking “The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense

The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense

Is it possible to gain spiritual enlightenment even in difficult or threatening situations? What is the nature of evil and the role of seemingly bad things in the universe? In this thorough and thoughtful protection magick handbook, you are urged to take responsibility for your own actions, ask what you might learn from any situation, and hold compassion for those you may ...more
Published July 8th 2004 by Llewellyn Publications (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Shield

Dawn Michele
Jan 17, 2009 Dawn Michele rated it really liked it
This is a down to earth and practical guide to basic psychic self defense. However, if you are experiencing a serious psychic threat you'll want to read Robert Bruce and get professional help. The one thing I disagree with Penczak is that he believes psychic attack is mainly from your own self limiting beliefs and you can always protect yourself by surrounding yourself with white light. I know from my own personal experience that there are cases when a person cannot protect his or herself with w ...more
Blithe's Spirit
Sep 04, 2014 Blithe's Spirit rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for beginners and I recommend it to anyone who is starting out or doesn't know how to shield. It has down to earth practical know how and Christopher has a very easy to follow writing style.
Kathy
Aug 06, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paganism
This is a great book for a beginner, but for not so much for an experienced person. Although it's a great refresher and I did learn new ways to shield. I feel that there was nothing more that I could learn from this book.
Like other people I didn't care for the angel section, but it didn't really bother me.
This book is all about precaution and not so much as what to do in the case of really being psychically attacked or how to get rid of an astral traveler which is what I was mostly intereste
Khara
Jan 06, 2015 Khara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
Absolutely wonderful. I bought this book because I need to brush up on shielding. Book is an exceptional look at how to not let other people's negativity influence your life. It also provided a deep reflection on the negativity I bring myself by negative thoughts and words that I unconsciously think/say. Many of the techniques listed will be integrated into my daily life.

Some people have criticized the inclusions of angels and archangels, I commend him for it. Penczak doesn't assume everyone re
NaomiRuth
Sep 28, 2016 NaomiRuth rated it really liked it
Really useful, already has helped me as I try and learn how to protect myself from others' energies. Really like how much the author stresses about having healthy intentions. I felt like I could trust him and his advice.
Chris Bruder
Apr 13, 2015 Chris Bruder rated it it was amazing
To be completely honest, after purchasing Instant Magick by him, I actually only bought this book because of how awesome the cover artwork was, not fully knowing what I was about to find from it, albeit still fully intending to read it. Little did I know that I would love it as much as I ended up loving it during and after reading it.

This book is a perfect guide to the real root and basis of Protection Magick: psychic energy, and the like. This book – this guide – teaches the practicing Witch wh
Eleriel
Jan 09, 2016 Eleriel rated it liked it
Ci sono parti di questo libro che meriterebbero 4 e anche 5 stelle. Però c'è anche l'onnipresente buonismo wiccan che rovina la festa. Per Penczak, se non sottostai al Rede e alla legge del tre, sei automaticamente "la peggior immagine stereotipata di una strega", cito testualmente. E' ora che i wiccan - che tanto si riempiono la bocca con parole come "rispetto" e "cammino personale" - si rendano conto che solo perchè una persona agisce diversamente non significa che sia cattiva. E visto che ci ...more
Deb White
Feb 26, 2012 Deb White rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: favorites, druidry
This is the best book I have read on this subject. It is in depth, but easy to read. I find some of Penczak's other book [concerning his rituals] too overwritten and tuff to get through. But this book was a breeze in comparison. It is good for anyone I think, whether in the craft or not. It deals with fears we all face, and helps you get past things which make you nervous. It is down to earth and logical in many areas, yet includes and deals with psychic topics with a straight forward approach.
Jody
May 31, 2016 Jody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchcraft
Christopher Penczak's books are always wonderful and this is no exception. It can be used as a straight-through read or a reference book. There is a CD that comes with the book with meditations referred to in the book.

I think about 3/4 of the book is about prevention and protection with the rest dealing with more self-defense topics. Christopher adds lots of personal anecdotes which adds a very human touch to all the information.

The last two chapters are super!
Silas
Aug 11, 2011 Silas rated it liked it
I found a lot of it fairly basic, and didn't particularly enjoy the parts about Archangels, which were significant. I understand that this was more from a New Age perspective than the pagan perspective of his other books, but I had higher hopes.
Luciana Gerez
Aug 27, 2015 Luciana Gerez rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for psychic protection. Better than having only recepies to follow on, one should understand how do they work and add ethics to your craft.
Nikki Ashendorf
Oct 16, 2012 Nikki Ashendorf rated it it was amazing
This was really good for me due to the fact that my shields used to be weak if not non existant. I really loved that my copy came with a meditation CD.
Nicole
Jul 01, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing and incredibly useful book! I learned a lot! I love the fact that it discusses the ethics of protection magick, not just how to do it.
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
Luca Henriksen
Luca Henriksen rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2011
Tyron
Tyron rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2012
Ducky
Ducky rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Heather Sprouse
Heather Sprouse rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Kate Dennis
Kate Dennis rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Shannah
Shannah rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Usul Horngrail
Usul Horngrail rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Jennette
Jennette rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Sabrina Choi
Sabrina Choi rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Marsha Myers
Marsha Myers rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
  • Spirit of the Witch: Religion & Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Magic
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Nocturnal Witchcraft: Magick After Dark
  • Animal Magick the Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
Christopher Penczak is a Witch, teacher, writer and healing practitioner. His practice draws upon the foundation of both modern and traditional Witchcraft blended with the wisdom of mystical traditions from across the globe as a practitioner and teacher of shamanism, tarot, Reiki healing, herbalism, astrology and Qabalah. He is the founder of the Temple of Witchcraft tradition and system of magick ...more
More about Christopher Penczak...