Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth

Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Druidry Handbook A living tradition of nature spirituality rooted in Celtic antiquity and revived to meet the challenges of contemporary life, Druidry offers people a path of harmony through reconnection with the green Earth. The Druidry Handbook is the first hands-on manual of traditional British Druid practice that explores the Sun Path of seasonal celebration, the M...more
Published March 31st 2006 by Red Wheel/Weiser (first published January 1st 2006)

Jeremy Preacher
I came to this book with a certain amount of cheerful skepticism - which is how I approach religion in general - and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure it's possible for a book to explain a religion while being *less* dogmatic about it, and the history was interesting and presented with no attempt to hide flaws or controversy or claim any sort of divine revelation. In fact, the whole book was basically "here are some things that we find useful, and some variations that also seem to work for...more
Brandice
Mar 26, 2010 Brandice rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: AODA Candidates, Druids
Shelves: druidry
This book is an ongoing guide for me, so while I haven't completely finished it, I'm very confident in rating it 5 stars. A very straightforward and practical guide to AODA Druid studies that I am required to read in my first year and am really enjoying reading. I look forward to the many things I will learn and take with me when I've studied my way through this entire book. :)
Tami
The Druidry Handbook is a beginner's text for those interested in finding out more about Druidry (past and present) as well as those individuals who think they might want to become a Druid, either as a solitary or part of an organized study group. This book is divided into three parts.

Part one looks at the history of Druidry. I was quite impressed with this section as the author was not intimidated to discuss the lack of substantial resources about the Druids of ancient times nor did the author...more
Taylor
I have long considered myself a Pagan, and for most of that time have claimed Druidry as my Path of choice. Upon reading this book I find out I was right.

Greer outlines his ideas of the Druidic Path(s), and doesn't ignore, euphemize, or try to cover up the plain fact that this religion is loosely based on ideas of what the original Druids of ancient times might have done. Indeed, there is no way we could have an accurate idea of that, given the thoroughness with which the Romans and then Christi...more
Chrissy
Rooted in Masonry, Ceremonial Magic and Iolo Morganwg (a.k.a., nothing really Celtic/Druidic) ... not really my cup of tea, but if you are into those sort of things, you'll enjoy this. AODA and OBOD members will probably like it the best.
Quietone317
Get Penny Billington - The Path of Druidry Walking the Ancient Way. Was way more informative than this book. Was very disappointed with this book
Kay (Amber)
I found it to be a nice review of all of the literature on neodruidry and Revival Druidry back in the 1700s. For those of us who have had no formal knowledge on the subject, it's a good place to get an idea of the philosophies behind the modern Druids (as can be found in the AoDA and the OBOD and so on.)

There are a lot of New Age meditation techniques, and more so, neopagan rituals. While I enjoy the calendar of festivals and love celebrating those points of the year, I'm not too big of a fan o...more
Mariah
This is the handbook for the beginning year-long training program for Ancient Order of Druids in America. I have read many books on Druidism and Celtic spirituality, so some of it was familiar but there was also some new things to learn from it.

John Michael Greer is part of Revival Druidry- an older tradition that is based more on philosophy and personal inspiration and less on history as contrasted with later Neo-Pagan Druid traditions.
After introducing the Druid movement and its history, Gree...more
Chris Gropp
I can't say a lot about this, beyond, read it.

Just one point: to think outside of the typical binary -it's either red or blue, black or white, west or east, dead or alive - that's a paralyzing mental model. Besides the spiritual path of living in the long stream of life on Earth, Greer offers the ternary model, in layers and layers of threes. So much more powerful than the binary.
Tim Gannon
When you die, only three things will remain of you. What you have taught to others, what you have created with your hands, and how much love you have spread. This is a story about Druidism, one of the leading alternative spiritualities in the world today. An experiential spirituality rooted in a living Earth without the rigid belief systems found in our world's religions. Pretty fascinating stuff. Brandice and myself have decided to undergo a year-long (or further) exploration of this tradition....more
Tommy /|\
As one reviewer here at Good Reads noted - its an introductory primer to the course for AODA. I didn't find it especially interesting. In fact, I found Penny Billington's book "The Path of Druidry" to be far more useful and informative for me. I'm quite sure that there will be those who completely disagree (aren't there always folks who will disagree with whatever perspective that you write in a review?), and those who will absolutely love this work. I'm just not one of those folks.
Joy
What I learned from reading this book is that I would love to meet John Michael Greer. He is just delightful, and is certainly the most even-handed and open-minded writer of a religious book I have ever encountered (although it's not a very long list). Thought I was among the "merely curious" category of readers, this seems like an excellent introduction to Druidry.
Andy Lawless
Nov 12, 2011 Andy Lawless rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people interested in Druidism
The Druidry Handbook is the handbook for the beginning year-long training program for Ancient Order of Druids in America.

It would also be of interested to looking for information about Druidry (past and present) as well as those individuals who think they might want to become a Druid.
J.E.R. Prince
Just what it says on the box - an introduction to the core concepts, big picture and practices of modern revival druidry. Written by the current Archdruid of the AODA, this also happens to eb the textbook for the 1st year candidacy program if your interest takes that turn.
Meg
This book will make you want to become a Druid! A bit of page turner for alternative religion books. Not too heavy on the historical side. Goes on my list of want to own/read again. Will make you want to go out and join a grove, or at least take a walk in the woods.
Andrew Watt
This is the outline of the training program in the order of druidry I belong to, the Ancient Order of Druids in America. It's not a curriculum I've finished, but it's one that I find admirable and intend to complete someday.
Stephanie
An easily-read and concise introduction to many of the concepts and ideas behind AODA-based druidry. Lots of good information here, as well as pointers to many books to read to continue reading in particulat subjects.
Katy Walters
This was a mine of information on the wicca and the occult. Invaluable for those who want to pursue the path and for the writer who wants to incorprate authentic material in their writing.
Charles
This is a comprehensive book about what people who call themselves druids today may believe. This is one of the more loge style groups. An interesting test written in a good style.
Deb White
He knows his stuff, but is dogmatic, too 'ritual his way' for me. I felt was being baptised just reading it. It was fun comparing him to Cunningham, who I like alot more.
Jason
Good general overview of Druidry to beginners and intermediates. Though not everything was new to me, it had a good background and inspiration for furthering my own studies.
Catherine McClelland
This book is an easy read and is interesting. I feel it doesn't go into a lot of depth about practicing druidry. It was interesting all the same.
Rey Walker
Provides an overview of the modern-day druid as well as a reminder of the importance of maintaining a most basic of connections: human to Earth.

Casey
Jul 02, 2010 Casey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Checked it out from the library and never got the chance to read it. Should be enlightening. Has the best reviews of any book on the subject.
Lugdag Severino
is different from the traditional Druidism that orders know English but it is interesting if you like what I have to do with the Golden
Raven Rose
I've already read this once but I'm reading through it again to make sure I didn't miss any pertinent information :)
Eric
Interesting overview of Druid/neoDruid belief. Pretty extensive and not overwhelming. Solid reference.
Jim Amy
This book provides some theory and a complete first year curriculum in the Druid Revival Tradition.
A.C. Willis
A really great introduction to Druidry as a spiritual practice.
Tempus Loghyr
A very well written book and one that I would recommend to anyone.
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year
  • Natural Magic
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Celtic Heritage
  • The Pagan Book of Days: A Guide to the Festivals, Traditions, and Sacred Days of the Year
  • By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism
The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings The Ecotechnic Future: Envisioning a Post-Peak World The New Encyclopedia of the Occult A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism