Start by marking “Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings” as Want to Read:
Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings

Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  465 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The development of Martin Luther's thought was both a symptom and a moving force in the transformation of the Middle Ages into the modern world.

Geographical discovery, an emerging scientific tradition, and a climate of social change had splintered the unity of medieval Christian culture, and these changes provided the background for Luther's theological challenge. His new
Paperback, A271, 526 pages
Published 1961 by Doubleday Anchor (first published February 20th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Martin Luther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martin Luther

Zelda
I read the following selections from the book:

-Translator's Introduction
-The Bondage of the Will
-Select Sermons on the Catechism
-Sermon in Pleissenburg
-The Pagan Servitude of the Church

Those selections make up the bulk of the book but only some of Luther's writings. But, I read enough to get the gist.

Interestingly, I, like a few others, found Luther'
ربى  عبد الغني
A theses that is really worthy of the humanity goals, at least it's not political, it's aim is a religious reform , I will keep saying : " This book will save a life ".

ربى عبد الغني

Starting from the Holly Catholic Romanian Church the only official and the Responsible for the Crusades, which dominated the thoughts of Europeans more than a thousand years lasted in a terrible way, say a very strong dominance including the prevention of any opposition, discussion and finally the consideration of all opposers out
Earl H
The selected writings of Luther in this collection are placed in topical sections but I read them based on the date they were written to give me insight of Luther's thinking and insights over time. In this way you get a perspective of his views during various situations he was living in and how it impacted his thoughts and faith life. The author here puts Luther's preface for his Latin writings in the beginning of this collection. It should be placed at both the beginning and end. Then when one ...more
Erik Graff
Aug 16, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lutherans
Recommended to Erik by: David Lotz
Shelves: religion
Being born of a Norwegian national, in some official sense I may be a member of the national church. However, I wasn't raised that way unless one counts the occasional Easter when Mother would take me to a Lutheran church to hear an interminable sermon. By coincidence, however, Larry Nolden, my best friend in early grade school being Lutheran and my parents not caring, I did attend Lutheran Sunday School for maybe a year during childhood. Fortunately, the teacher was a liberal, so I actually lea ...more
Cay Hasselmann
It is a great book, but you need to understand it from the time being. It is easy to rip it apart and to condemn Luther for his words on Jews, politics or on some reference of things not in the bible as some pointed out. Forgetting that he was the first man in a long time to refer to the bible and also the first to translate it in a modern language.

What I really like is the selection here of all different types of his writing from the young to the old Luther.
John
Tell us what you really think, Martin Luther:

"Oh, listen to that; you dunce, where is it written in God's Word that Father Pope and Brother Cardinal are the true church? Was it because that was what the fine parrot bird said to the black jackdaw?"

"Hence it is again to be diligently noted how Christ described his church for us; for this description is a strong thunderbolt against the miserable pope and his decretals by which he has made of the church of God a filthy privy."

"But the Leipzig Lectur
Liz
Read this book during Lent. It was a good over view of Luther's writings and I particularly liked the chapter "The Two Kinds of Righteousness". Heaven knows we need another Luther now.
James Rauch
Great compendium of the Professor's work, Dillenberger does a great job picking choice selections of Luther's writings essential to understanding his thought.
Ryan
Luther is excellent. I'll have to finish the un-read sections someday.
Maggie
I like that he was a catalyst for change and he promoted religious freedom but I truly believe he was off on much of his doctrine, such as that salvation is a gift from God by grace in the belief of Jesus Christ. Well that would mean that it doesn't matter what anyone does in their lives, good or bad, because grace will save them in the long run. Good ideas, which spurned the change for better ones.
Mohamad Ballan
An excellent collection and translation of the most significant writings of one of the most important individuals in history. The translations are preceded by a very useful introduction. The index is also quite excellent and will be greatly appreciated by many who are researching Luther or the Reformation. Highly recommended.
Jeremy
Assigned for Alan Jacobs's class at Baylor on the Early Modern Age (Spring 2014). From this text, I read only the Preface to Latin Writings (pp. 12), and the selections from Bondage of the Will (pp. 166-203), because I read the other assignments in another volume.
Catherine
I disagree with pretty much everything he has to say, but I enjoyed the writing more than I thought I would. He was a fairly articulate guy. I admired this book the way you admire presidential speeches. They're always brilliantly worded, but generally pretty empty.
Chris Mclain
I read selections of this book for a Reformation era theology and history class at the graduate level in seminary. I found the translations accessible and the format simple and easy to navigate.
Bob Ladwig
Great volume to have if you don't plan on having an entire bookshelf dedicated to Luther or if you just want Luther boiled down. This book has chunks of his most valuable works.
Charles
I read this text in Dr. J. Michael Utzinger's Reformation Thought course during my junior year at Hampden-Sydney.
Oliver
This book provides a really good account of Martin Luthers views on true Christianity.
Alan Swartz
Martin Luther, selections from his writings by Martin Luther (1961), [1st ed.]
James
Pretty good introduction to Reformation theology. Glad I read it.
Victoria
Reading for my grad class. Interesting stuff...
Jay D
Good overview of his thought.
Jaye
I"m still Catholic.

Jody Heil
LC Call No.: BR331.E5 D5
Taylor George
This one has all the goodies.
Brett
Super interesting
Elineema Mndeme
Elineema Mndeme marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
  • The Enchiridion on Faith Hope and Love (Augustine Series 1)
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther
  • Luther: Man Between God and the Devil
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
  • Luther the Reformer: The Story of the Man and His Career
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • The Lutheran Study Bible: English Standard Version
  • Christus Victor
  • Dogmatics in Outline
  • Creed or Chaos?: Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe)
  • Canon of Scripture
  • Theology of the Reformers
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • The Christian Tradition 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology 600-1300
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According
More about Martin Luther...
The Bondage of the Will Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses On Christian Liberty Small Catechism, with Explanation Commentary on Galatians

“Philosophy is the Devil's Whore” 14 likes