Start by marking “Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon” as Want to Read:
Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon

Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon The dragon who's not afraid to speak his mind. Herb faces a difficult choice, should he let other dragons rescue him and become a meat eater or should he stand by his principles and be fed to crocodiles? A funny, imaginative tale that teaches the importance of accepting others' differences. Full description
Published November 1st 2005 by Barefoot Books Ltd (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon

Lisa Vegan
Jun 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who are different in some way(s), including vegetarian children
Well, Herb is definitely a vegetarian not a vegan (butter) but this is a cute story for veg*n children or for children who are different in any way.

I loved the illustrations, especially all the little vegetables and the vegetable garden patch.

While this is an appropriate story for veggie children, its messages are more about staying true to self, and that it’s okay to be different, and wise to let others live as they want to live, and it’s laudable to stand up for oneself. I wasn’t wild about th
Katje van Loon
This is a beautifully illustrated book about learning to live in peace and harmony. What I loved most about the story was it made clear that what we eat is our own choice: our bodies, our rules. No one was forced to change their dietary habits, in the end; what they ate was respected.

I was expecting it to be a be "Ra-ra vegetarianism! Meat-eaters are nasty!" to be honest, but it really wasn't. It made the point that the only way we can live in peace and harmony is if we respect each other, and
Joanna Marple
« Every dragon in the forest of Nogard was a meateater.Meathook was their leader. » A moral tale of knights, a brave young girl and dragons. The only vegetarian dragon in a land full of carnivores, Herb peacefully tends his garden while the other dragons feast on the castle's inhabitants. Though at one point innocent Herb seems threatened with a beheading, there is a happy ending, as "dragons and people, meat-eaters and vegetarians, live together in peace and harmony."

While an omnivore myself, I
Nicole
To be honest, I bought this book specifically for my sister (a mommy-to-be). It was perfect since she is a vegetarian herself, and the little girl in the book who helps to save Herb (the vegetarian dragon) from the angry mob in fact shares my name :) As a picture book, the illustrations were certainly very cute and I love how colorful they were. However, I found the book very text-heavy (got a little old), and the ending was surprisingly abrupt given the amount of space that was dedicated to the ...more
Katherine
Daria
This book does a wonderful job of introducing medieval terms to young children. Moreover, it introduces readers to a wonderful character in Herb, the vegetarian dragon who stands up for his right to be different. The story's strong message is you can be different and still care about those who are not like you.
The illustrations are light and bright - they will delight young children with their frightfully sweet renditions of both dragons and veggies.
This book is also a great introduction to a v
Tori
This is one of my all time favorite Barefoot Books. "Herb" isn't just about vegetarianism- it's about standing up for what you believe in while facing misplaced discrimination and unfair treatment. It's also about the power of compromise. Of course, there are dragons and knights- which makes fun for everyone! A tasty little tidbit- the King and his family bear a fair resemblance to the Obama family. You can find this and other Barefoot Books on my website.
Kelsey
Age: 7-10 but more for adults
Media: acrylic and colored pencils

A vegetarian dragon is mistakenly taken by a village for killing people when a little girl speaks up on his behalf. The King then offers the meat eating dragons a peaceful existence between the dragons and people. A cute message of acceptance but the writing and plot don't really flow and the character development is dismal. There's gotta be a good children's book out there that views vegetarianism in a positive light.
Fantastic book! My (one vegetarian, and one mostly vegetarian) kids adored it. It has a great message (without preachiness) and lovely illustrations. It tells the story of Herb, who is an outcast among his fellow dragons in the land of Nogard because he does not eat meat. We tend to love barefoot books, and this was yet another winner.
Kelly
Cute idea for a story, but unfortunately not very well executed. The illustrations are nice, but the text is extremely long for a picture book. I also wasn't a huge fan of how blatantly moralistic some of the text was, and *I'm* a vegetarian! Example: "I don't ask you to stop eating meat, so why do you ask me to stop eating vegetables?"
JustOneMoreBook.com
Crackling with colour and humourous detail, this stimulating fairy tale catapults a kingdom from peer-pressure and pillaging to peaceful co-existence.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Malcolm says, "I really liked it because I really like dragons, and I really like executioners. My favorite part was when he was locked in the cell. My favorite character is Meathook because he eats meat and I like meat. And that's all I want to say. Next interview please."
Heather
48 months - an odd book. O really seemed to enjoy it and insisted on reading it a bunch of times within a couple of days and show it to her friends. I didn't see the appeal as much. But it did give us an opportunity to talk about what a vegetarian is and such.
Jenna Renner
This would be a good book to be read to young children, I think the language would be too difficult for a lot of children in kindergarten or first grade. The art work was very colorful and I think that young children would really enjoy it.
Clare Neilson
This was a fantastic find at CAT Centre for Alternative Technology. I am a massive dragon fan and this really made me laugh, perfect for introducing the idea of not eating meat to younger little people :)
Maggie Sullivan
I love this book! Its one of my fastest sellers, too! It can be bought at My Barefoot Bookshelf...visit http://margaret-sullivan.barefootbook....
Reva Fun
love it love it love it
we have been reading htis book to our children for years and they still ask for it.gotta love herb
Jen Pierce
One of my all time favorite children's books. Fair disclaimer - I have been a vegetarian myself nearly 20 years, I may be biased!
CFAITC
In this light-hearted book, readers see that people with various eating preferences can learn to co-exist in the same community.
Kathleen
Herb teaches us so much about accepting others and standing up for our own beliefs - this is exactly what I believe in:)
Hilary Wagner
Super cute! Read this a few years back with my son, now with my daughter! Teaches good lessons about accepting people.
Kathryn
My oldest would give this 5 stars but I kind of think that the author's intentions were not very well hidden.
Julia
I got this book for my youngest daughter on a trip to Oregon. She still loves it, and we make recipes out of it.
Leahjoypro
My boys love reading this book. Beautiful illustrations, fun characters, and a great message!
Lisa
GREAT story about accepting people (dragons) as they are... whether they eat meat or not!
Kim
What a fantastic story! It's got everything! It's okay to be different. Love it.
Rebekah
Touches on how to live in peace with those who do/eat differently than you.
elissa
Feb 27, 2008 elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to elissa by: given to us by Aunt Bev
Cute story--modern, somewhat silly fairy tale about a vegetarian dragon.
Mar 06, 2009 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Thought it was too......violent? I dont know...it wasn't my favorite.
Suzanne
A vegetarian dragon brings peace to the land. Need I say more?
  • That's Why We Don't Eat Animals: A Book About Vegans, Vegetarians, and All Living Things
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • Gigantic Turnip
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World
  • Mole Music
  • When Pigasso Met Mootisse
  • Alice and Greta: A Tale of Two Witches
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
JULES BASS has produced several animated films, including The Hobbit, The Last Unicorn, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, as well as several hit animated television shows such as ThunderCats. Jules has written two children's books for Barefooot Books: Herb, The Vegetarian Dragon and Cooking With Herb. They have been translated into seven languages and reprinted in paperback. Herb ...more
More about Jules Bass...
Headhunters Cooking with Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon: A Cookbook for Kids The Mythomaniacs El Florenci, el drac vegetarià