Start by marking “Crazy Hair” as Want to Read:

Tigers stalk,

And ground sloths sleep.

Prides of lions

Make their lair

Somewhere in my crazy hair."
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Hair

Keith
Probably actually only four stars, but this one gets points for not being horrible -- like, extra points. I feel bad, Mr. Gaiman -- you and I have been through some hard times recently and when you actually pull it off, I think you deserve some props.

Also my mother didn't like this book and thought it was pointless, and seriously? Points for weirding out my mom. She was getting entirely too comfortable with your oeuvre.

So yeah. The art's good, there are tentacles involved, the ending is nihilis
Laima
A beautifully written and illustrated fantasy book for young children.

This is a gorgeous children's book with rhymes by Neil Gaiman and art work by Dave McKean. It is the story of young Bonnie who meets a fellow with some pretty wild hair. Pirates, bears, tigers, birds, hunters and huge balloons live in this crazy hair. She tries to comb it but gets sucked up into the hair by a bear!!
This is the type of book that would appeal to kids who have a wild imagination.

When my kids were young we went t
Syahira Sharif

Crazy Hair is one of the book that I found in Big Bad Wolf Sale which I try to get for my nephew since when he's getting older, he won't get pink fairy tale book hand-me-downs and instead a creepy Neil Gaiman book.

Well, it is a given since these guys made Mirrormask.

I don't know about you, it does nothing with Mirrormask's creep noir level.

But it is intended to be a children's book. Very thin but rich with texture and colors that made it an interesting book for even adults to read... that or Ne
Lisa Vegan
Oh, I came to this book with a lot of skepticism. In fact, I didn’t even have it on my to-read shelf, but happened to see it at the library. I always want to love Gaiman’s books so much more than I usually do. I have “kind of crazy hair” and I really enjoyed The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School, and so I decided to give this one a try too.

Well, it didn’t take long for me to become engaged. The illustrations are unusual and really interesting, and not as scary as I’d heard, in my opinion.
Ian Roditi
Si lo que hay dentro quieres ver
Entre estas páginas tiene que ser.
Toma el peine, a ver qué encuentras
y espero que disfrutes el viaje mientras.
Magdalena
On his website and in various interviews, Neil Gaiman has regularly referred to his need for a haircut. He clearly courts messy hair. One can certainly imagine that as at least a part of the inspiration for his latest childrens’ book Crazy Hair. It’s basically an autobiography. But of course this is no ordinary autobiography, and as with all of Gaiman’s childrens’ books, particularly those done with Dave McKean, this is no ordinary children’s book. For one thing, there is always an undercurrent ...more
Icats
Okay I now have a new favorite book by Neil Gaiman. I absolutely adore Crazy Hair! It is an amusing rhyming tale about all that goes on up in his crazy hair.

In my hair Gorillas leap,
Tigers stalk,
And ground sloths sleep.
Prides of lions
Make their lair
Somewhere
in my crazy hair.

The artwork of Dave McKean is awesome. I love his hairy illustrations. They are tangled with lots of vivid nuances. In other words, great eye candy.

And though I am not one to usually place a dare...
I would challenge him on wh
Aisyah Nassim
such a tangly story and crazy.
Snorkle
This book was really, really weird. I’m not sure if I could truly enjoy it because I couldn’t get over how bizarre it was. The ending was kind of random and I’m not sure I could say that I liked this book. I would only recommend if you were a big fan of Neil Gaiman…because this book isn’t for everyone.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Jasmine
This is a really cool children's book. The illustrations are very unique and creative. The actual story is pretty interesting too, and I enjoyed the structure of the sentences. I also thought the ending was a bit atypical for a book made for little kids, to the point where it might scare some. But what's childhood without a paralyzing fear of becoming lost in someone's hair forever? I definitely recommend it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved the illustrations, but didn't care for the story so much. I thought it might have a Gaiman-esque macabre/sinister ending, but it didn't. However, I do like the picture toward the end of Bonnie blissfully surrounded by all that hair, which looked good on her. Disappointing story, terrific illustrations.
Mandi Blackburn
it's kind of creepy, and nonsensical. Like a 20 page version of Alice in Wonderland, or Where the Wild Things Are but instead of Wonderland, it's a guys head of hair...

The pictures are a little dark, but overall, it's pretty decent.
Luciana Darce
Quem se aproximar
Dessa louca cabeleira
Ouvirá música,
Rugidos e muitas brincadeiras.

Mas cuidado, devo avisar:
Se você chegar muito perto,
Corre o risco de não voltar.

Cabelo Doido é narrado em primeira pessoa pelo dono da dita cabeleira. A história começa com ele apresentando a si e a Bonnie, uma jovem que se encanta pelo cabelo dele.

O cabelo do narrador é longo, louco e cheio de histórias: por entre suas madeixas vivem ursos e piratas, há passeios de balões e exploradores, música e outras farras.

As
Crazy Hair is a children's picture book that sparked my interest after researching various goodreads choice awards nominations over the years. It is a light fantasy story about a man's hair and what goes on inside it. A girl thinks combing the man's hair will help but as she combs it, something from the man's hair grabs her and she is now added to all the adventures happening in the man's crazy hair. Neil Gaiman's writing style and Dave McKean's illustrations blow other picture books out of the ...more
Craola
This has got to be the most bizarre, off-the-wall children's book I've ever read, and that's saying a lot when you break down your average children's story.

Of course, part of me is convinced this is a story for adults. This is basically a freakish fantasy story. Girl meets boy. Boy has crazy hair. Girl (view spoiler). It's all quite impressive.

Dave McKean does a splendid job on this one too. I particularly lov
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Lately, I've been obsessed with picture books. You know, looking like a fool, wandering the library, child-less, taking out title after title of toddler and children picture books. Of course, when you have a favourite author, it's got to be okay to take out a picture book or two.

Neil Gaiman is a favourite of mine and as I've been trying to complete my "Neil Library" at home (it's a sad state--I'm realizing I own so little), I've also been partaking in what my local library has to offer, until I
Sandy
Crazy, yes that is how I felt when I read this book. This man has hair that is unruly. I mean things inhabit his hair including cockatoos, hunters, carousels, pirate ships, and this list could go on and on. Just like his locks of hair which tumble out onto the pages with their brown, gold, and black hues that perform like shoots of grass or ocean waves, his locks go on and on. Don’t even think of combing his strands as others have tried and the results have not been good. He’s telling his story ...more
PurplyCookie
A man takes umbrage with a young girl ogling his outrageous hairdo, and tells her in a series of increasingly ridiculous rhymes all the things that can be found in the stupendous swaths swirling upon his head “Hunters send in expeditions, / Radio back their positions / Still, we’ve lost a dozen there / Lost inside my crazy hair.”

Each page is a veritable feast for the eyes, with frazzled clumps of hair competing for attention with outlandish elements—carousels, pirate ships, blue octopi, comb-ea
Beth
Feb 09, 2010 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like weird books with awesome illustrations
Shelves: picture-books
Please beware of Crazy Hair! It will wrap you up, tangle and twist your mind within its bizarre tresses. With a rollicking rhythm, this tale of hair one wild presents Bonnie, a young girl who dares to tell the narrator(Gaiman himself?)that he has crazy hair. The young gentleman responds by illustrating the wonderful weird attributes of his hair: “Hunters send in Expeditions, Radio back their positions Still, we’ve lost a dozen there Lost inside my crazy hair.” Hair increasingly fills the pages a ...more
Ronyell
“Crazy Hair” is a recent installment by Neil Gaiman along with illustrations by Dave McKean and it is about how a young girl named Bonnie tries to comb a strange man’s hair who claims that his hair is extremely crazy. “Crazy Hair” may be a creative book for children who love hilarious verses, but the confusing plot and some frightening images might cause children to steer away from this book.

Neil Gaiman’s story about a guy who has crazy hair has some creative rhyming that would come out of a Dr.
Karissa
Okay so I am a huge Gaiman fan. I know Gaiman has released a couple books for children, but I don't have any of them. When I saw "Crazy Hair" was coming out I actually pre-ordered it. All my expectations were met; it is a great kid's book and I also enjoy it as an adult.

I read through it first by myself to make sure it wasn't too scary. Personally the fact that the main character has all of this crazy stuff living in his hair creeped me out a little. Then the girl gets sucked into his hair; whic
Sarah Sammis
Just around the time I was rediscovering Neil Gaiman, he started writing children's books. I try to snag his picture books when I'm at the library. The latest one I grabbed was Crazy Hair with the deliciously twisted illustrations by Dave McKean.

Crazy Hair started as a poem in the vein of Shel Silverstein. But with McKean's illustrations the poem becomes a strangely delightful picture book.

Essentially the book is a dialogue between a young girl (perhaps a teen, perhaps just shy of being a teen)
Jesilyn
I don't normally list the numerous children's books I read here, as I prefer to keep my own books separate from what I read to the kids. I am making an exception for this book however, because last night, long after my children were sleeping, I found myself reaching for it, and reading it twice to myself with not a child in sight. It is a wonderful book with just a touch of underlying horror that is subtle enough that it shouldn't upset even the littlest of readers.
Tauras
Haven't been that much excited after reading a book for a while now.
Another short story from one of my favorite authors that had such a bizarre and weird story. Sometimes it just gets boring to read classical tales for children and you want something completely interesting. And that was it.

Also, another five stars just for the illustrations. They were so good, that I can't find any ways to describe the beauty and energy flowing from them.
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library last week. OK, I might have picked it out for him.

This book was load of fun in weirdly Gaiman-esque sort of way. His rhymes were unexpected for, and heretofore unseen in, children's literature, so extra points for stretching my kid's vocabulary.

I wasn't sure I liked the illustrations until I reached the dancers. Yup, I really loved the illustrations after that.
Christiane
I don't know what's wrong with me...I used to love everything Neil Gaiman did (his first two picture books: The Wolves in the Walls and The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish are wonderful) but I did not love Blueberry Girl and I am really on the fence about this one too. The illustrations (Dave McKean) are amazing and beautiful and disturbing---you can spend a long time looking at them and still find something new to see. But the text often feels forced to me and the story, of a young girl w ...more
Kaethe
It's "creepy" because I find McKean's artwork disturbing, although this is somewhat less disturbing to me than some of his others. But seriously, I would not recommend this to someone with a nightmare-prone little kid. Despite that, it's a fun little verse story about crazy hair, which we have a lot of at our house.

Library copy.
Stephan Lindkvist
Clever, beautiful and fun!
I've always been a fan of Gaimans children books, especially when drawn by Dave McKean, but this must be my favourite so far. The art's absolutely gorgeous (I love the hunters and Misters expressions) while the rhymes and story is hillarious. As soon as my son's old enough he'll definitely be hearing me read it for him.
Serge Pierro
Hmmm… this was a strange book even for the likes of Gaiman and McKean. Although it was somewhat interesting, it is hard to see how a book like this could have been pitched for publication… especially as a children's book. It was a quick fun read, but those looking for the Gaiman/McKean "magic", should look elsewhere.
Veronica
Age of Readership:

5 years and up

Genre:

Picture book, rhyming book

Diversity:

eccentric people

Illustrations:

Dave McKean illustrated this book, and it was odd and strange. Geometric shapes molded together seem to make up the majority of persons and creatures. There were beautiful scenarios throughout the book, depicting the action of the rhymes.

Personal response:

I'm not certain I really liked this book. It was fun and off the wall crazy, talking about the different things going on in a person's hair.
  • Dinosaur vs. the Potty
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Bedtime for Mommy
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust