Start by marking “Spider-Man: Death And Dating” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Death And Dating

Spider-Man: Death And Dating (The Amazing Spider-Man #22)

Random earthquakes dont happen in New York - trust us, we live here. So how did one trap Spidey and a subway car full of New Yorkers underground? But theres more to these passengers than meets the eye as a high-powered mob trials verdict is in their hands - and one of them has a crucial connection to Petes old boss, J. Jonah Jameson! Also, when a bizarre criminal endangers ...more
Published May 20th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Μιχάλης
3.5 really
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 15, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Waid's "Unscheduled Stop" is well-written, but shallow. It does introduce an interesting new character into the Spider-man mythos [6/10]. Guggenheim's "A Tale of Two Jackpots" is a nice resolution to a plot that had gotten sidelined, but what should have been an emotional story isn't [6/10]. Roger Stern's "Fill in the Blank" is pretty much a fill-in. The art's nice but that's its only redeeming feature [4/10]. Dan Slott's "Mind on Fire" ties together lots of Spider-Man mythology very nicely and ...more
Matt Chic
The two-part Shocker story in here with Marcos Martin on art might make this trade worth it just for that. Or you could just buy those two issues. The rest of the stuff is decent, but not great. You get the story behind who and why Jackpot is, but that ended up being kind of disappointing to me. You also get an 'explanation' of how Harry came back, but it's kinda weak. Good variety of Spidey stories by different writers and artists though-- just kind of a grab-bag of material.
B
Jul 10, 2013 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
A perfectly fine series of Spider-Man yarns. The authors do a good job building the subplots. In fact, they always seem more interesting than the main stories.

One repeated and strange plot point is that Peter Parker would be clearly getting information on behalf of Spider-Man. "What do you know about this supervillain that Spider-Man is fighitng? Is there any way Spider-Man could beat him? Like with webbing? I ask because I am a photographer."
Andy
Aug 17, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, spider-man
I felt the shorter stories in this volume were more interesting and engaging than the last lot. A different and dark tale set in a collapsing subway tunnel reintroducing an old foe; the reveal of Jackpot; an insight into the life of Betty Brant. These new stories remind me of the better tales told in PP:SM and Tangled Web.
Arthur Cravan
Aug 29, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
There's nothing wrong with any of these stories, but I don't think they fit together that spectacularly. & none of them are great - though the Betty Brant one at the end stands out as interesting. But I just didn't really care about these other things - Jameson's father? Harry's ex-wife & her obviously disturbed son? Nothing very memorable. Decent fair, but you can take it or leave it.
Matt Anderson
May 12, 2016 Matt Anderson rated it really liked it
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #578-583 and Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

The stories were a little less intriguing than some other Spider-Man stories, but this "Brand New Day" era of Spider-Man is written so well that it makes up for the smaller scale stories.

This collection reveals the origin of Jackpot, and gives us the secret story on how Harry Osborn is still alive.
Sonic
Dec 03, 2009 Sonic rated it liked it
yeah yeah I'm a geek, but I admit I love Spiderman. And when the writing is done right and his real personality shines through, he seems like a real person kinda, or at least a real character. So having low expectations helped me enjoy most of this book, but with the different writers and artists the quality was a bit all over the place, but parts of this surprised me.
Fraser Sherman
Pleasant fun as Spidey battles super-villains (the Blank, the Shocker, the Molten Man), hangs with Harry and Betty Brant, has lousy dating luck and meets Jonah's dad (who later becomes Aunt May's boyfriend). Nothing really stands out, but more fun than the Superman and Teen Titans I just read.
Thomas
Jul 11, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
I liked the "Unscheduled Stop" storyline and the Betty Brant one off. I thought the Annual with a more in-depth look at Jackpot was also pretty good.
Stolt-man
Apr 28, 2015 Stolt-man rated it really liked it
Some good writers in this volume. Waid was a nice addition to the rotation and we even got an issue by Stern.
John
May 09, 2012 John rated it liked it

I guess the Betty brant one off was okay. I think artists enjoy drawing molten man more than I enjoy reading him. I guess I don't get why Mark Waid is so highly regarded as a comic writer.
Eric
Feb 28, 2015 Eric rated it liked it
Fun Spider-Man comic. Lacked much of the pop Spider-Man stories often delivered. Good read, not a great one.
Mike
Feb 15, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Waid's 2-parter is passable, decent writing but nothing terribly notable among a good Spidey run.

The molten man story is better - weird but informative.
Michael
Jul 18, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Kind of a mixed collection from a variety of writers, but the Shocker story at the beginning was clearly the best. Other than that, the rest of the stories vary from so-so to just bad.
Karla
Mar 13, 2011 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, teens
Truly a teen-friendly comic pulling together great work from a variety of writers and artists. Great to get some background on the super-heroine Jackpot and Jonah Jameson's father.
Jacob
Sep 01, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Not bad, though kind of disjointed.
What's up with Liz and Norman's kid? Kid looks like he's four, but half the time he sounds like a teenager
Paul Hasbrouck
Jun 25, 2016 Paul Hasbrouck rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
So-so group of stories, so-so villains, a few interesting story details, but on this volume is a disappointment.
James DeSantis
Jun 04, 2015 James DeSantis rated it it was ok
Average stories bundle together. One cool story about molton man among the rest of the lamer stories. Not a easy graphic novel to read.
Iva
Iva rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Ocea
Ocea rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Brian Anderson
Brian Anderson rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
richard
richard rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Michael T Bradley
Michael T Bradley rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
George
George rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2012
Timmy Mitchell
Timmy Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Jay sciortino
Jay sciortino rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Pop Mido
Pop Mido rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Mckinlay
Mckinlay rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
  • Spider-Man: Crime and Punisher
  • Spider-Man: Red-Headed Stranger
  • Secret Invasion: Thor
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 3
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home