Start by marking “The Detonators (Matt Helm, #22)” as Want to Read:
The Detonators (Matt Helm, #22)

The Detonators (Matt Helm #22)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Daddy's deadly little girl.
The prim young lady needs a favor: help her father beat a bum drug rap. After all, he is Matt Helm's old colleague at the agency.
Suddenly Dad's boat detonates outside Miami Harbor. And Matt Helm discovers that young Amy isn't as innocent as she looks.
Amy lures Matt to the Bahamas, where an unlikely pack of fanatics may be planning an explosive s
Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published July 1985 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about The Detonators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detonators

Neal
It's a little heartbreaking to read the later Matt Helm novels since there is a steady decline in quality as the series moved into the 80s. Part of the problem, I believe, is that Mr. Hamilton was struggling to fit his 1960s character (who was really a throw-back to the 1940s private eyes) into a modern spy genre and it didn't quite work. The other issue was that Mr. Hamilton was clearly pressured by the publishers into making the books longer than the earlier novels, in some cases almost twice ...more
Jim
Another great tale by Hamilton. Helm shocked me by his sentimentalism a couple of times, but it added to the story. Again we find him on a sail boat in the Caribbean which Hamilton does so well since he spent so much time doing exactly the same thing. His sarcastic comments about 'true sailors' always make me chuckle.

Helm underwent some rejuvenation. Other characters were in WWII, but his participation was not mentioned - not exactly denied, but it was made clear that he was somewhat younger tha
Rugg Ruggedo
This is such familiar ground. I think I read my first Matt Helm more then forty years ago. I've read the series at least three times,which would make this read thru my fourth.
I try to mix thing up in my reading,so without realizing it,its been year since I read the 21rst book in the series, but with the first sentence in The Detonators I felt right at home.
Things are never easy for Matt,but when as agent that is used to working alone finds himself working under someone, even another agent from
Eric_W
Looking for a well-crafted light thriller? Booklist, in a retrospective of mystery writers, recommended Donald Hamilton as a writer who has been underated and forgotten in recent years. I happened to have an old copy lying around, and I agree with their positive assessment.
Matt Helm, his hero, works for a shady government agency performing tasks that would never be officially sanctioned, e.g. assassinations, etc. There job is to keep track of bad guys taking them out when necessary.
Doug, ano
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Ravenfire
Ravenfire marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
J Noyl
J Noyl marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lee Rowell
Lee Rowell marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Iain Mcintosh
Iain Mcintosh marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Troy
Troy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2014
Skook
Skook added it
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Donald Hamilton was a U.S. writer of novels, short stories, and non-fiction about the outdoors. His novels consist mostly of paperback originals, principally spy fiction but also crime fiction and Westerns such as The Big Country. He is best known for his long-running Matt Helm series (1960-1993), which chronicles the adventures of an undercover counter-agent/assassin working for a secret American ...more
More about Donald Hamilton...

Matt Helm (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Death of a Citizen (Matt Helm, #1)
  • The Wrecking Crew (Matt Helm, #2)
  • The Removers (Matt Helm, #3)
  • The Silencers (Matt Helm, #4)
  • Murderers' Row (Matt Helm, #5)
  • The Ambushers (Matt Helm, #6)
  • The Shadowers (Matt Helm, #7)
  • The Ravagers (Matt Helm, #8)
  • The Devastators (Matt Helm, #9)
  • The Betrayers (Matt Helm, #10)
Death of a Citizen (Matt Helm, #1) The Wrecking Crew (Matt Helm, #2) The Removers (Matt Helm, #3) The Silencers (Matt Helm, #4) Murderers' Row (Matt Helm, #5)