Start by marking “Ma, It's a Culd Aul Night an I'm Lookin for a Bed” as Want to Read:
Ma, It's a Culd Aul Night an I'm Lookin for a Bed

Ma, It's a Culd Aul Night an I'm Lookin for a Bed (Ma... #3)

In the third instalment of Martha Long's real-life account of abuse, depravation and cruelty at the hands of her parents and the establishment, Martha is now sixteen, her time at the convent school is up. In Ma, It's a Cauld Aul Night and I'm Lookin for a Bed, she leads us through her first months of freedom.

With no friends or family to act as a safety net, Martha leaves t
Published September 3rd 2009 by Mainstream Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ma, It's a Culd Aul Night an I'm Lookin for a Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ma, It's a Culd Aul Night an I'm Lookin for a Bed

Nicky Forrester
Oct 14, 2016 Nicky Forrester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Martha! She's been unleashed on the world in this book and this is her first foray in the world of being a responsible grown up.

She's just a survivor and the wit with which she tells her tales make smile (and get a few funny looks on the bus home).

Life is still hard but her outlook and her never say die attitude is inspiring. I just wish she had've been able to have some proper support and friendship as it was all to sadly lacking - her struggle continues!

Don't pass this one up.
Emily Wiersma
The world just doesn't seem to stop beating on Martha. The mouth on her never seemed to help, but I love that about her she doesn't take guff from anyone. I love how she gets back at the people who fire her making sure they should have known not to mess with her. She's extremely clever and uses it to help make her way through Dublin; working in a shop, a restaurant, and her last one working for a family who treated her worse than a dog. I was rolling when she was trying to work the washing machi ...more
Toni Marie
Apr 29, 2015 Toni Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read book three too fast!

I love reading how Martha is so strong and independent! Her will encourage s me to stay strong.
Martha's journey into a grown, adult world for a teenager with her spirit and gumption is exciting and reinvigorating! She can teach the teens or America a thing or two.
If only the next book could come sooner! I am eagerly waiting the next book.
Mar 23, 2016 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great "Ma" book !

I love this series. The life of Martha Long is so inspiring. How any one could stay so positive and then go on to write such funny and charming books, is beyond me.
Jan 09, 2012 Nicky rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book,what an amazing person Martha Long is, such an inspiration to everybody, especially those who can relate to her terrible upbringing. looking forward to reading her next book, Ma,I'm goin up in the world!
Mar 13, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
An incredible ordeal for someone so young. If you can get past the rambling, such as Martha's ability of incessant chat you can get sucked right into her depressingly dire situation. Her strong will to survive with such optimistic grit has me at every page. I love her.
Aug 26, 2010 Robin rated it it was amazing
An amazing young girl who was able to survive under terrible circumstances. Always hopeful and optimistic. We can learn so much from the way she persevered.
4.5 stars. Not harrowing like the first book, but well-written. She has a great talent for making you feel like you're right there with her as it happens.
Feb 05, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
Sorry it finished where it did with Martha in dire straits but her positive outlook is an inspiration and I can't wait to read the next installment.
Jan 25, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read, never wanted it to finish I have all 5 in the collection and can't wait to finish the last 2
Mar 05, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing
i loved this book i just want to read more and more about this amazing girl/woman i think its great loved it as i did all the books i hope there will be another one to follow
Janet Helleberg
Janet Helleberg rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Terri Adamson
Terri Adamson rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
stella rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Gail Briggs
Gail Briggs rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Marty rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Emma rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Kelly Watson
Kelly Watson rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Jay Hou
Jay Hou rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Sg48215 rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Caris rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
lauren Guthrie
lauren Guthrie rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Niamh rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Joan Edwards
Joan Edwards rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Mary Roche Cleary
Mary Roche Cleary rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Helen Pappos
Helen Pappos rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2014
Jade rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Amy Hicks
Amy Hicks rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Sophie Bradley
Sophie Bradley rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tough as Nails: One Woman's Journey Through West Point
  • The Souvenir: A Daughter Discovers Her Father's War
  • Psychedelic Bubble Gum Boyce & Hart, the Monkees, and Turning Mayhem Into Miracles
  • A Fathers betrayal
  • Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by SEAL Team Six
  • Notes From The Firehouse: Seventeen Firefighting Stories From A Retired Firefighter
  • I Got a Name: The Jim Croce Story
  • Sweet Dreams Are Made of This: My Life In Music
  • Don't Leave Me This Way
  • Toni Tennille: A Memoir
  • Carve Her Name with Pride
  • Is That All There Is?: The Strange Life of Peggy Lee
  • Maybe We'll Have You Back: The Life of a Perennial TV Guest Star
  • Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography
  • The Snitch, Houdini and Me: Humorous Tales of Death-defying Childhood Misadventure
  • Sleeping Arrangements
  • My Paper Chase
  • Blood Echoes
Martha Long was born in Dublin in the early 1950s and still lives there today. She calls herself a ‘middle-aged matron’ and has successfully reared three children. The Bookseller described her as a ‘truly gifted storyteller’ & Alice Walker, author of The Color Purple, compared her to Charles Dickens. Her seventh and final book in the bestselling Ma series will be published by Mainstream Publis ...more
More about Martha Long...

Ma... (6 books)