Start by marking “Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)

Koda (Horse Diaries #3)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  14 reviews
For anyone who has ever dreamed of hearing a horse’s story . . .

Independence, Missouri, 1846

Koda is a bay quarter horse with a white blaze. He loves to explore the countryside and run free with his human friend Jasmine nearby. But after Koda sets out with Jasmine’s family on a long and dusty wagon train journey on the Oregon Trail, he finds out what is truly important to h
Published October 27th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Koda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Koda

Black Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryComing Home by Lauren Brooke
Horse Lover's Literature
169th out of 413 books — 130 voters
Crystal Brave by B.K. BradshawBorn to Run by Ann  HunterCrystal Brave by B.K. BradshawKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  Stephens
Books For Horse Crazy Girls
103rd out of 178 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosetta Jordan
Charissa
One of our favorite Horse Diaries so far!
Isdlions
Koda is a nice book about a foal.When the foal and his mother returned to thier owners Koda found out what his name was and who named him. The daughter of the owner was his owner. One day the daughters mother died. They have to move, they take a long trail that is called oregon trail many kids and people die by diseases......

You have to read the book to find out what happens next

- Ilinca
Renae
Of the several volumes in this series, I was not that impressed with this one.

Story was VERY simplistic. Beautiful illustrations didn't help. It begins with Koda's birth...but almost nothing else happens until page 83. Out of 127. Their Oregon Trail trip was glossed over and rushed.

Least favorite of the series. MUCH preferred #4--Maestoso Petra.
Kristen
Read aloud to my 5yr old.
She really enjoyed the book. I was not able to stop at the chapter marks. The suspense at the end of the chapters was too much for her. I always read until whatever problem was resolved, then broke for the night.
She loved it (despite some of the topics being a little advanced for her), and even I liked it.
Tweller83
This is the Oregon Trail told by the horse's point of view. The horse rescues the little girl along the trail. Not sure it was realistic as the girl was a little sick to begin with but makes it all the way to Oregon while others get sick with Cholera along the trail and die. Definately for the younger students.
Miss Durkin
This book is full of adventure on the Oregon Trail with Koda, Quarter Horse. I'd say it's historical fiction from a horse's point of view. I love all horse stories, especially when the main horse character is as loyal and spirited as Koda!
C. Michael
Not as enjoyable to me as the first two in the series. Plot seemed more contrived. Illustrations are equally pleasing, though.
Ingrid
This story is told from the perspective of the horse Koda makes the trip across the Oregon Trail as a young horse. I liked that there was some information at the end of the book about the history of quarter horses and the Oregon Trail.
B
Koda, the young quarter horse accompanies his family on a grueling Oregon trail journey told in his own words.
Meredith
Very good book. I found it to be a very much easier read on the subject than most text books covering the same topic
Brodie I LOVE HORSES :)
I really want to read this book again but I have some many books to read
Theshanster
Neat to know the world from a horses perspective.
Brandi
Brandi added it
Aug 26, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Feathertail
Feathertail marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Elyssa
Elyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sheenagh Morrison
Sheenagh Morrison marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • Bell's Star (Horse Diaries, #2)
  • Golden Sun (Horse Diaries, #5)
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • Elska (Horse Diaries, #1)
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • The Missing Pony Pal (Pony Pals, #16)
  • Comeback (Canterwood Crest, #15)
  • Eager Star (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #2)

Horse Diaries (10 books)
  • Elska (Horse Diaries, #1)
  • Bell's Star (Horse Diaries, #2)
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • Golden Sun (Horse Diaries, #5)
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • Black Cloud (Horse Diaries, #8)
  • Tennessee Rose (Horse Diaries, #9)
  • Darcy (Horse Diaries, #10)
My Girl Our Strange New Land (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #1) The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2) You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye Black Cloud (Horse Diaries, #8)